Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Terrorist attacks

Post by Manbush »

-TW- wrote:The 24 hour news cycle contributes to that
Yep and social media, the fact the world seems a lot smaller now, more traveling and more interactions with people around the world.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Raidersfan wrote:^^
Have you guys considered the number of casualties if not for current laws regarding security

Stats stats and more stats
Yes.
greeneyed wrote:Are we supposed to feel better that, despite deaths from terrorist incidents significantly increasing... that they're lower than the 1970s? Or that more people die from mass shootings in the USA? None of that makes me feel the slightest bit better. It doesn't excuse any of it. It's all disgraceful!
You aren't supposed to feel better but I think it is important that people keep things in perspective.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it's ridiculous to keep the unnecessary deaths of innocent people "in perspective".
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Why?
How could maintaining perspective ever be a bad thing? Haha
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:I think it's ridiculous to keep the unnecessary deaths of innocent people "in perspective".
I'd argue that a lack of perspective is leading to a lot of hate, and ultimately what seems to be a downward spiral.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think my perspective is just fine. Unnecessary deaths of innocent people... I'm not going to be an apologist for any of it.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Have you guys considered the number of casualties if not for current laws regarding security

Yes.
You did .. and what conclussion did you come to ?
I don't post facts
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote:I think my perspective is just fine. Unnecessary deaths of innocent people... I'm not going to be an apologist for any of it.
No one would disagree with that. The difference is that what was back in the 90s some scratchy audio of a journalist talking to a picture of a country, thanks to social media is now video of an actual event.

None of it makes the event more or lea abhorrent but it does significantly change the impact it has on people far and wide.

Most negative things in the world come from fear and having live video of everything that happens in the world promotes this. The works isn't more dangerous or destructive than it has ever been we are just more exposed to it in a vivid sense.

It is our choice whether or not we feel afraid or keep choosing to be kind to people regardless of their race, color, sex or religion.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:I think my perspective is just fine.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

But there are a hell of a lot of people in the West who think Muslims are a murders pack of psycho-killers, and there are a hell of a lot of people in the Arab world who think the West is laser-focused on bombing them into extinction.

I think a whole lot more perspective would do the world as a whole a whole lot of good, on the whole.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think really think there are any "buts". I don't think anything excuses a terrorist act and the death of innocent people. I'm despondent at the level of hate in the world.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

I don't post facts
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Raidersfan wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Yes.
We are less safe now than before the war on terror.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Terrorist attacks

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote:I don't think really think there are any "buts". I don't think anything excuses a terrorist act and the death of innocent people. I'm despondent at the level of hate in the world.
No one is excusing terrorist acts, just merely acknowledging this is an issue that has plagued man kind since the dawn of time

I recently listened to a great podcast from Dan Carlin on Caesar's Celtic extermination, and his escapades into ancient Gaul, an amazing pod I would recommend to everyone.

Acts of terror are sadly part ad parcel of mankind. It doesn't make it any less abhorrent but contrary to how the media would like to portray it, we are actually getting better at not being total **** ***** to each other, and that's a good thing and should be remembered when talking about the current state of the world
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Yes.
And why would that be ?
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The world is not getting better, it is getting worse. I am sad to see it.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:The world is not getting better, it is getting worse. I am sad to see it.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It's actually not, mate. Not at all.

You hate the world now? You're very very lucky you weren't around a hundred years ago.

Literally
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Raidersfan wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Yes.
And why would that be ?
Because hate leads to violence and violence only leads to more violence.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Getting worse is a matter of perspective, I'd say some countries are getting worse but as a whole humanity has never had it so good. More rights for minorites and for women, lifespans and quality of life increasing with advancements in health and science, more general love for one another. Unfortunately there will always be douchebags whether the gun toting loon in America or groups wanting to kill for agendas.

I think looking back on the past with rose coloured glasses can hide the advancements we've made as a species but whether the loons or groups with agendas while trying to eventually stop those type of things we've got to keep perspective on just how far we've come otherwise that will be easily undone.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:Getting worse is a matter of perspective, I'd say some countries are getting worse but as a whole humanity has never had it so good. More rights for minorites and for women, lifespans and quality of life increasing with advancements in health and science, more general love for one another. Unfortunately there will always be douchebags whether the gun toting loon in America or groups wanting to kill for agendas.

I think looking back on the past with rose coloured glasses can hide the advancements we've made as a species but whether the loons or groups with agendas while trying to eventually stop those type of things we've got to keep perspective on just how far we've come otherwise that will be easily undone.
Man I hate to say this... I absolutely hate to say this

But... ugh, here we go... Manbush is right
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We've got the US and North Korea at loggerheads... terrorist attacks all over the world... we've got people wanting to blow up planes etc in Australia. It certainly doesn't feel like things are getting better.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:We've got the US and North Korea at loggerheads... terrorist attacks all over the world... we've got people wanting to blow up planes etc in Australia. It certainly doesn't feel like things are getting better.
Compare right now to a hundred years ago and tell me what you think
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:We've got the US and North Korea at loggerheads... terrorist attacks all over the world... we've got people wanting to blow up planes etc in Australia. It certainly doesn't feel like things are getting better.
Compare right now to a hundred years ago and tell me what you think
Given the First World War was happening 100 years ago... it is clearly better than then.

However if I look at what's happening now, compared to other periods in my life... things have deteriorated.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Like when?? Tell me another period of your life when things were calm and peaceful, there weren't wars in the Middle East, there wasn't tension between superpowers and they're weren't fairly regular terrorist attacks??

I know i haven't been alive as long as you, but this **** seems to have been a consistent theme throughout my 37 years to date!

Only difference is, things are reported a lot more now, and essentially rammed down our throats.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Even your own statistics above show terrorist attacks in Western Europe were at extremely low levels just a few years ago. Now, it may be that terrorist attacks in Western Europe get a lot more coverage than elsewhere in the world, but even a few years ago felt better than today.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The best period of my life was late 80s -early 90s I felt really good then.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I did too.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

greeneyed wrote:Even your own statistics above show terrorist attacks in Western Europe were at extremely low levels just a few years ago. Now, it may be that terrorist attacks in Western Europe get a lot more coverage than elsewhere in the world, but even a few years ago felt better than today.
The stats indicate deaths NOT activity. Terrorists activity that has been stopped in its tracks is far more now than a few decades ago.
I don't post facts
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:
However if I look at what's happening now, compared to other periods in my life... things have deteriorated.
I have to try and say this diplomatically as I know you're anything but racist, sexist or homophobic, you love everyone (except us Blues) so do not take this the wrong way mate.

But it's easy to say for us white heterosexual males, for people of different races, gays and women modern age is definitely better with the laws, freedoms and equality, and quality of life has improved throughout the world thanks to science and peoples generosity.

There's always been threats of wars, some country trying to flex their muscles, always been hate groups killing, idiots being violent, we're just aware of them more now than we've ever been.

I think the old saying "ignorance is bliss" applies to the "old days", people weren't as aware plus more focused on their own "community" than other countries or people different from them.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Ohh **** Manbush really
I don't post facts
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

If you're going to look at how the world is now you can't just look at one aspect, increased threats of violence is debatable the rest isn't.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Terrorist attacks

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly this whole debate really is a case of "that chick is fatter". We're seriously debating whether right now is any more or less **** up than any other stage of history, all of which have been pretty **** up

I think we should all just agree that the world can be a pretty **** up place, always has been and probably always will be

On the flip side of the coin though, the world is also a pretty amazing and special place. It just depends on where you choose to spend your focus
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think to summarise: the world is **** up. That's sad. The world has always been **** up and that's also sad. Don't let it change what you do.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Well if you don't like this world go live elsewhere
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Manbush wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
I have to try and say this diplomatically as I know you're anything but racist, sexist or homophobic, you love everyone (except us Blues) so do not take this the wrong way mate.

But it's easy to say for us white heterosexual males, for people of different races, gays and women modern age is definitely better with the laws, freedoms and equality, and quality of life has improved throughout the world thanks to science and peoples generosity.

There's always been threats of wars, some country trying to flex their muscles, always been hate groups killing, idiots being violent, we're just aware of them more now than we've ever been.

I think the old saying "ignorance is bliss" applies to the "old days", people weren't as aware plus more focused on their own "community" than other countries or people different from them.
Hold on! I was only speaking about the world security situation. I wasn't making any comment about our holistic state of well being. If I were, I'd be saying things are much better... as living standards have consistently improved, not to mention technological development etc.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Human beings are sad ***** full stop.
This place is woke.