Sea Eagles 13+
40%

Total votes: 10

Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2017 Rd 13 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Poida_Raider »

-PJ- wrote:How about Whitehead just taking the ball off Tapow on tackle 5 thinking it was a hand over !!

Manly still had 1 play left...

I think a knock on was ruled against Tapow....priceless Mr Sutton.
Tapow just let go of the **** ball, and it backfired on him. However regardless of that i'm not sure what Elliot was thinking.
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

Poida_Raider wrote:
fulivai wrote:
BVRaider wrote:It's hard to be critical when we were down to 15 and lost it on home ground calls. Leiluas pass was 50/50 but the Manly defence didn't attempt to stop the play they just threw their hands up and the ref gave them the benefit of the doubt. Uate clearly makes a play at the ball and we could of got a penalty that would of given us a chance to win it but once again Manly got the benefit of the doubt. Tough loss to take but it was a great comeback that didn't get the right result, if we found a way to win in gp it would of been the win of the season. Bring on the Panthers next week.
Spot on

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The worst thing about the strip or non-strip as it was, is that the penalty that we conceded in Canberra to give them the game was when one of their players literally just let go of the ball when our guy was holding it to prevent an offload.
Yep agreed. Now that ive slept on it im feeling more gutted than I did yesterday. We have regressed back to 1. Losing the close ones 2. Not getting the crucial 5050s. Paulos was a loose carry no doubt but it was eerily similar to the call which cost us the game at Bruce. Lets not forget the paulo no try in that game too where the ball clearly touched the line but was overturned from onfield try.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

hrundi89 wrote:Had a new experience yesterday at Brookie.

We were there with a bunch of Manly supporting friends on the hill near the half-way line.

A few women (and their partners) were standing behind us having a skinful and swearing like sailors. So far, so expected.

Anyway, in the midst of an f-this f-that tirade (due to the Raiders evening things up), my 10yo daughter innocently turns around to see who is swearing and is then told directly by one of the women to **** off.

She then bursts into tears as of course this sort of thing has never happened to her before. My wife then gets up and walks over to the woman and starts having a go at her and the woman is completely indignant, saying "the family hill's over there", etc.

We had no issue with the swearing, but tell our kid (or any other kid) to **** off and that's a different matter.

One of our female friends (in Manly gear) then grabbed my wife by the arm and encouraged her to go and hug my daughter, which she did, and she then proceeded to tell the woman off, as did our other friends and other random Manly supporters.

I made a few disparaging comments to her boyfriend/husband and then a bloke a few rows back then told us "**** off, you're not welcome here". I said "that's why everyone hates you".

I had other Manly supporters coming up to me afterwards and apologising. It would be easy to just say it was a Manly thing but it wasn't.

Somewhat sullied the game day experience as we were all having fun up to that point (despite the scoreline).
Sorry to hear that happened. Perhaps you could send Manly and the NRL and email and at least they could put someone in that area next time to keep an eye on things?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We were there with a bunch of Manly supporting friends on the hill near the half-way line.

A few women (and their partners) were standing behind us having a skinful and swearing like sailors. So far, so expected.

Anyway, in the midst of an f-this f-that tirade (due to the Raiders evening things up), my 10yo daughter innocently turns around to see who is swearing and is then told directly by one of the women to **** off.

She then bursts into tears as of course this sort of thing has never happened to her before. My wife then gets up and walks over to the woman and starts having a go at her and the woman is completely indignant, saying "the family hill's over there", etc.

We had no issue with the swearing, but tell our kid (or any other kid) to **** off and that's a different matter.

One of our female friends (in Manly gear) then grabbed my wife by the arm and encouraged her to go and hug my daughter, which she did, and she then proceeded to tell the woman off, as did our other friends and other random Manly supporters.

I made a few disparaging comments to her boyfriend/husband and then a bloke a few rows back then told us "**** off, you're not welcome here". I said "that's why everyone hates you".

I had other Manly supporters coming up to me afterwards and apologising. It would be easy to just say it was a Manly thing but it wasn't.

Somewhat sullied the game day experience as we were all having fun up to that point (despite the scoreline).
It's funny this story comes up, when my wife and I were talking about the game yesterday we had a lengthy chat about how Brookie is far and away the worst home crowd in the NRL

I said I wouldn't be comfortable taking my kids there until they were about 10 or 12. Sounds like I undercooked it :/

They are absolute bottom feeders there
Genuinely disgusting
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Poida_Raider »

I could tell how fired up our boys were (or weren't as it ended up) after their first try of the day. Now defensive misreads happen, but for a Jack Wighton or someone else close by to not try and tackle Dylan Walker to stop the try being scored closer to the posts. Soliola came from nowhere to have a go, but Wighton and maybe one other just put their heads down and accepted the try.
That's attitude right there. It doesn't matte how good we played in the second half when our first half was as horrible as it was. Marty Tapow wasn't even full steam and he just brushed through Tapine easy as you like.

The second half gives us hope, as these guys always find a way to do. Fingers crossed against the Panthers who i think will be harder then Manly. I do worry we wont click into gear until we play a Melbourne or another of the teams at the top of the ladder.
Bay 68 Baby!
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

NRL top 10 plays of the week

Post by Bay 68 Baby! »

Hi All,

The NRL has released the top 10 plays of the week. http://www.nrl.com/plays-of-the-week-ro ... fault.aspx

Now I'm fairly used to the raiders being shafted from number one spot but Rapana's second try doesn't feature in the top 10 at all.

I can only assume that the NRL app was too painful to skip to the moment it happened so they just said **** it, because that was one of the best solo tries of 2017.

I can only imagine how Rabs would have called it if Hayne, James Roberts etc had scored it.

Yes I am aware this is all quite trivial in the end, but after being shafted for winger of the year last year, this is exactly the kind of press that he needs to show the rest of the world what we know.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

I feel sick today.

Let's just imagine this:

We don't ever let go of balls in the tackle, just that alone will make a big difference.

But if we could do this too:

Stop giving away dumb penalties ( looking at you BJ)
Follow the ball runner
Catch the ball.
Forwards run with more purpose, more often
Forwards start to put fear into opposition ball runners.

Basics......lets get back to them.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I haven't played much footy in my life but can someone tell me if it is hard to wrap up a potential offload? I'm just confused as to how we let Taupau offload that much. And the same guy every time in every tackle.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: NRL TOP 10 Plays of the week

Post by papabear »

wasnt it a dummy half run.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

CJR wrote:I haven't played much footy in my life but can someone tell me if it is hard to wrap up a potential offload? I'm just confused as to how we let Taupau offload that much. And the same guy every time in every tackle.

Most teams struggle to contain Taupau's offloads but I get where your coming from.

It's an area of the game where we continuely struggle and puts us on the back foot for most sets.

You would think it would come up in every video review the amount of meters we concede from 2nd phrase play but either the coaching staff isn't recognising this or the players just aren't willing to put the extra effort in tackles to try to fix the problem.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Worst Raiders Army experience I had was at Brookvale. Early 2007 I remember they wanted to punch on with us on the hill and then the glass beer bottles came flying towards us. Couldn't wait to get out of there and have never been back. Funny thing was they were up by about 28 at the time.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Best option might have been to find a security guard and get them removed hrundi. Sounds like you'd have had plenty of witness support.

Only issue with that solution is that a percentage of the time you end up with a bigger problem if the scum wait for you.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Brookie are the worst, no question. At least on the hill anyway
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's dreadful.

We were sitting in the Jane Try Stand amongst the members. We were supporting our team, nothing obnoxious. In fact I was completely silent most of the time, because I try to be very polite in an opposition ground.

But the Manly members sitting in front of us decided that they would turn around and get in our faces every single time Manly did anything... they would literally stop watching what was going on, on field, to stand and turn and yell in our faces. At one stage it got so nasty, I thought one bloke would completely pop his cork - fortunately for me, he wasn't doing that into my face. Indeed, at that point, I thought it might result in something physical.

Even the little old ladies scolded the person I was with for putting some an empty food package under the seat, while I kept getting scolded for being a nuisance for simply walking in and out a few times at half time or between games.

It was pretty rich. But it was nothing compared to your experience hrundi.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I had a shocker at Brookie a few years ago too.

I think it may have been 2010? In any case it was a match where we upset them, I remember Monnas took an intercept on our try line and went 90 metres to score.

As I'm leaving the ground, about six hammered Eagles fans start giving it to me, hurling abuse and following me to where I'd parked my car. To their credit, it was a group of surfie looking Eagles fans who stepped in and told them where to go.

Haven't been back to Brookie since.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2017: Canberra Raiders poor record under the pump increases pressure on Ricky Stuart

The Canberra Raiders, pre-season premiership heavyweights, are currently sitting ninth on the ladder with a 6-7 record. Among the seven losses, an 84-minute, 20-16 epic to North Queensland, the two extra-time bouts conceded to Manly in the space of six games and a 13-12 thriller to Brisbane as well.

But with just six wins in their past 23 games where there was a converted try or less in it, Stuart’s blood pressure is still getting a serious work out.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 9d86f10f34
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

I am sure fans from all clubs have stories about poor treatment from opposition fans. Having said that and having lived in the area all my life, there is no doubt Manly fans are a special breed. A lot of the badly behaved are adults and should know better. It would appear Rugby League and the success of their team is the only thing they live for. Very sad. Sure I was angry but as soon as I left the ground it was forgotten.

Got down to Lottoland for the Mounties game and apart from being disappointed that Dave Taylor wasn't playing I was also a little underwhelmed with those that would be considered for a call up should the NRL team suffer injury. Baptiste would be the exception. He looked pretty sharp, perhaps not as zippy as he was last year but given he would probably only play 20 minutes in the top side, the zip might return. The likes of Croker and Sorenson would do a job if required and possibly Makatoa but he does look slow. Royce Hunt didn't play as he was 18th man for the NRL. Don't really understand this when Mounties are playing earlier given the likelihood of the 18th man actually being required.

In regard to the NRL,like many I was disappointed with the Raiders first half performance. Having said that I was paying attention to the Manly markers and saw no difference in the refereeing of this area. This was further confirmed when I watched the replay last night. Why the Raiders can't find the intensity required for 80 minutes is beyond me. They do seem to lack an on field general. Normally I would expect this from one of the halves but there is definitely something lacking between the 6,7 and 9, where I would expect the "general" to come from. Perhaps Ricky needs to adopt the Craig Bellamy approach rather than the Mr Nice guy image he is projecting.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Blame for close losses = halves. We cannot win a comp with these halves . period.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

CJR wrote:I haven't played much footy in my life but can someone tell me if it is hard to wrap up a potential offload? I'm just confused as to how we let Taupau offload that much. And the same guy every time in every tackle.

Tapau is one of the most damaging forward in the game when he has his head screwed on right, which he happened to do to us twice this year. he has a great technique of his non ball carrying arm fending to nose of the opposition tackler, while the ball carrying hand is out back throwing an offload. With most players the offload is a secondary thought once the tackle has slowed, Tapau heads in with the intent of pulling 3 players into his area and firing a quick one out the back before they are properly engaged.
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Hazza wrote:
RaiderSpark wrote:Not sure of the last time we won a game by a field goal (Not in golden point)...
Last year rd 2 vs Easts. Won 21-20
True, i thought it may have been when Mccrone kicked a field goal of someones back :roflmao Dunno if we won that though :roflmao
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Pete Cash wrote:
RaiderSpark wrote:Interesting/Disturbing Fact: We havent won a golden point game by kicking a field goal since August 13th 2006 vs West Tigers
Was that the game Toddles stole by being offside the entirely of golden point and kicking the ugliest field goal that has ever been kicked.
I dont know mate, thats 10+ years ago :roflmao
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Timbo wrote:I had a shocker at Brookie a few years ago too.

I think it may have been 2010? In any case it was a match where we upset them, I remember Monnas took an intercept on our try line and went 90 metres to score.

As I'm leaving the ground, about six hammered Eagles fans start giving it to me, hurling abuse and following me to where I'd parked my car. To their credit, it was a group of surfie looking Eagles fans who stepped in and told them where to go.

Haven't been back to Brookie since.
I'm a bit stuck as yes it's my local NRL ground, and as my boy plays junior footy in the Manly district it is home base for that too.

He was crying too seeing his sister crying, but by the time it came for him to run on the field after the game and play with his mates, he was over it... :lol:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

Manly/Brookvale is Penrith by the sea. Dont let the beautiful beaches fool you. I remember going there as a 14 yo in 95 when we beat them after being down 10-0 at half time. At the end of the game while we were applauding the raiders players, some manly fans took our flags and threw them down the back of the hill.
Ive also been abused by Manly locals at the beach who dont take kindly to visitors going there, its pathetic.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's terrible mate. @and$?! Scumbag Manly fans.

I was at the SFS back in the early 90s. Raiders V Manly semi-final. The day Gary Coyne scored 4 tries.

A mate and me were assaulted by 5 Manly supporters in the grandstand during the game. My mate had his arm broken and I was punched around a fair bit. Cuts, bruises etc..

Low life pricks. They were upset about the result I'm guessing....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Sorry to hear about that incident at Brookie yesterday, but handled it very well with a "that's why everyone hates you" hahaha.

I was on the hill with a few manly fans who are friends of my girlfriend, and when we scored I was questioned as to why I didn't cheer loudly. My response "because I don't want to get assaulted". Some absolute **** on that hill, just embarrassing themselves.
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

greeneyed wrote:NRL 2017: Canberra Raiders poor record under the pump increases pressure on Ricky Stuart

The Canberra Raiders, pre-season premiership heavyweights, are currently sitting ninth on the ladder with a 6-7 record. Among the seven losses, an 84-minute, 20-16 epic to North Queensland, the two extra-time bouts conceded to Manly in the space of six games and a 13-12 thriller to Brisbane as well.

But with just six wins in their past 23 games where there was a converted try or less in it, Stuart’s blood pressure is still getting a serious work out.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 9d86f10f34
I think the most disappointing and certainly frustrating aspect of our close losses is we are beating ourselves rather than being undone by teams. Rapana dropping the kick off v Brisbane, Croker bombing the try v Manly at home, Paulos drop yesterday. Three wins where we basically handed the game over on the back of really simple mistakes. We seemed to overcome it last year and it felt like 2015 was a distant bad dream but low and behold its back again.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I started when I was 8 and retired at 23.

We don't get numbers into the tackle. That's the simplest way to explain the number of offloads we concede. Like our **** line speed and poor kick pressure it comes back to attitude and attention to detail whilst under fatigue.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

fulivai wrote:Manly/Brookvale is Penrith by the sea. Dont let the beautiful beaches fool you. I remember going there as a 14 yo in 95 when we beat them after being down 10-0 at half time. At the end of the game while we were applauding the raiders players, some manly fans took our flags and threw them down the back of the hill.
Ive also been abused by Manly locals at the beach who dont take kindly to visitors going there, its pathetic.
Mate I really like living on the Northern Beaches and our suburb is very family and community focused. There are certain suburbs that are full of bogans, like Narrabeen and Dee Why.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

Yep sorry. Penrith by the sea was out of line. Apologies

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

-PJ- wrote:How about Whitehead just taking the ball off Tapow on tackle 5 thinking it was a hand over !!

Manly still had 1 play left...

I think a knock on was ruled against Tapow....priceless Mr Sutton.
That was the absolute BEST !!
How can you complain about the Ref, when we got away with the most obvious strip in NRL history. He just took it out of his hands while he was held down by another player and motioned to the Ref he was ready to play it. Ref was just confused, so called it dropped, hahaha.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

It's 3:45, can we breathe easy and say no one sited by mrc?

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

cat wrote:It's 3:45, can we breathe easy and say no one sited by mrc?

Do you think we have a couple of players who may be nervous cat ?

Shoulder charge, high shot, head slam, tripping....

What did you see ?

Gerald Sutton should be cited for not enforcing the rules of rugby league....
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Pj I'm always nervous the day after a game !

The mrc is like a bad lottery you just don't want to win and after the reffing I saw yesterday anything could happen

Boyd could be charged with tackling himself high

Vaccinated
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

^^^ Sutton got 3pts in the Dally Ms.
Botman