40%

Total votes: 10

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2017 Rd 13 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote:
Lucky wrote:The raiders remind me of the South African cricket team..... full of potential with guys like Amla and Deviliers.... but the reality is that they are far too inconsistent and will never make it to a final i.e they'll choke in the cricket world cup by bowing out in the semis.

Also, did anyone else laugh when they watched Cherry Evans post match interview when he was continually building us up by saying we are actually a "good team which is well coached" :lol:
Well we actually are, people have short memories. People seem to forget how bad some years were like 2011, 2013 and 2014. This team at least competes or are in the game every week. We just lack a top notch playmaker with the polish to win the tight games.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
This is absolutely not a well coached team right now, Brew. The coaching staff's performance last year is going to buy them a lot of leeway. And its not panic stations by any means yet, but the 2017 Raiders are a showing all the classic signs of a poorly coached football team.

It's round 13, so they've got enough time to turn it around. Let's hope they do
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Brew wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:I would swap Austin and Boyd for Maloney and Klemmer tomorrow
Why wait till tomorrow, I'd do it tonight

Which other players are we releasing to make room in the cap?? If you think our guys are on the same coin it would take to get Maloney and Klemmer you are seeing stars.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think it looks like (and disclaimer, I can far from know this) that we're a bit mollycoddled. The natural hard workers and self motivators like Rapana keep on keeping on. But the ones who need a bit of a kick, well they still need a bit of a kick. Ricky said he's been pretty hands off and unfortunately it's showing a bit with some players

Again disclaimer, just speculating
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Coastalraider wrote:
Brew wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:I would swap Austin and Boyd for Maloney and Klemmer tomorrow
Why wait till tomorrow, I'd do it tonight

Which other players are we releasing to make room in the cap?? If you think our guys are on the same coin it would take to get Maloney and Klemmer you are seeing stars.
But apparently we had to release players to stay under the cap? So some of them must be.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote:I think it looks like (and disclaimer, I can far from know this) that we're a bit mollycoddled. The natural hard workers and self motivators like Rapana keep on keeping on. But the ones who need a bit of a kick, well they still need a bit of a kick. Ricky said he's been pretty hands off and unfortunately it's showing a bit with some players

Again disclaimer, just speculating
I think there is a little bit of that, i genuinely think they have spent the off season buying into their own hype and forgetting a new season means a fresh start and everyone has to start from 0 again. And of course part of that will have to fall on Stuart but for the most part i've always believed professional athletes need to take some responsibility for themselves.
I cant blame Stuart if the players have spent all off season blowing smoke up each others arses, but Stuart is supposed to be changing the culture and as best i can see, it's the same old, same old sans Todd Carney/Josh Dugan level Bull off the park
green eyebrow
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Tom Starling Elliot Whitehead

Post by green eyebrow »

Blake Austin is tired!! I'd like to see him sit it out next game.
Get his mind back on the game.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He has a bye in 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

My problem isn't about the ref decisions or the other calls of " we have been so close in so many games " , " our luck will change " , " we are a playmaker short " "a couple of bad decision" etc etc etc

My problem is that if we weren't still playing like it is our first hit out of preseason and instead like a team after 13 rounds of NRL first grade football then apart from round 1 we wouldn't have been in any position in any of these close loses to actually loose them.

Yeah people say "we are doing well to get close whilst playing so bad"....but as a team and majority of individuals we would be lucky if we have played 4 decent halves of football out of 26 all year - it's just not good enough regardless of any other factors !!!!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I have no issue with resting players when it's warranted, to get them focussed. It's a long season.

But, there's not really a player I can single out who I think should be rested. I honestly think the coaching and leadership are the big factors in where it's going wrong.

For starters, put Junior Paulo back into the scrum where he belongs. Try and be fancy and put him in the back line and he ends up taking hittups where he holds the ball out asking to lose it at crucial stages of the game.

The crash ball to our middle forwards at the try line. Obvious tactic and to persist with something that doesn't work is just pathetic.

I cut Austin and Sezer a lot of slack because quite often when we are attacking the try line, they go through an entire set of six and see the ball maybe once or twice. Good luck expecting them to fire when they're under pressure to make the big play every time they get the ball.

We are some smart footy away from becoming a strong team again.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Pigman wrote:I blame myself for this
I moved seats just before our 2nd try

Sat there right up until GP, then had to go out with the wife and kids (held off as long as my wife would allow me) and watched GP in the car on Foxtel go
You're **** dead to me
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Archer wrote:

Sat there right up until GP, then had to go out with the wife and kids (held off as long as my wife would allow me) and watched GP in the car on Foxtel go
You're **** dead to me
All for some glass Tupperware from IKEA. The shame is mine.

I apologised unreservedly to the Raiders, it's players, fans and to the GH public
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Interesting/Disturbing Fact: We havent won a golden point game by kicking a field goal since August 13th 2006 vs West Tigers
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Not sure of the last time we won a game by a field goal (Not in golden point)...
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

roneel78 wrote:
julian87 wrote:Golden point is the biggest blight on rugby league. If it's not good enough for finals why is it good enough for round robin games?

I'm disgusted.
yup - hate it. I dont k ow anyone who 'passionately' supports it either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed 100%. The game got along fine with a draw for a Century. Then, imo, bookmakers became a bigger influence on the game. They need a result, they set odds for win or loss. If no result then refund of money means no profits. The game should be decided over 80 minutes and if after that time the scores are tied, what on earth is wrong with a point to each side? And of course, gamble responsibly ....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pigman wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:Other than the last 10mins of the 1st half (when some fatigue set in) we played as well could be expected. Struggling with two less in the bench and some unlucky calls I thought the players dug in and never gave up. Proud of the boys in what is truly a season without any luck.
Haha you can't be the same guy
#noexcuses
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm not calling it golden point anymore. It's clearly just a field goal fest, "golden field goal". The equivalent of the equally stupid penalty shootout in soccer

Also I just saw the irony posted on Facebook about how Manly won their last golden field goal game against us with two consecutive strip calls
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Dreading another miserable monday tomorrow to the stupidity of our team. Not sure how we would beat the panthers unless we play for 80mins. Halves need to refocus and understand what the teams strengths are. Get some plays in the ruck and use our strong outside backs more effectively.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

After games like today I find it hard to understand why I had to love the raiders and not the roosters or some other popular club at nrl hq.

I paid $38 for general admission which is way too much but felt the boys needed my support, might add though the ferry ride home was nice

How is that place nrl standard? And I am honestly wondering if the pot holes they kept filling up weren't the reason behind Shannon and lui's injuries.

No scoreboard, needed binoculars to read the time on the big screen

The photos inside the sheds make them look like revesby swimming pool change rooms!

The reffing was atrocious and yes a huge factor today , was blatant up yours Ricky from Archer

Was actually pretty proud of the boys , in the past they would have lost their heads but instead we just kept on trying

Just wonder what it would be like being the popular team at nrl hq.....

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

RaiderSpark wrote:Not sure of the last time we won a game by a field goal (Not in golden point)...
Last year rd 2 vs Easts. Won 21-20
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Manly Sea Eagles edge out Canberra Raiders

A Daly Cherry-Evans field-goal in golden point has handed the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles a 21-20 victory over an injury-hit Canberra Raiders outfit at Lottoland on Sunday afternoon.

Jarrod Croker kicked a penalty goal after the full-time siren to lock things up at 20-apiece and send the second of the Raiders’ last two matches with Manly into golden point.

Having been brought undone by a Dylan Waker golden-point penalty goal when the sides last met in Canberra, it was the Raiders’ turn to get one back.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/06/ ... t_man.html

Rd 13: Sea Eagles v Raiders highlights: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/06/ ... rshls.html

Rd 13 Press Conference: Raiders: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/06/ ... iders.html
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Pigman wrote:The only call i felt was egregiously wrong was the strip call. That is either a penalty because the tackle was complete, or our football. I've got no effing idea how they found a knock on in there. It never looked CLOSE to being a knock on against us.

Anything else that went against us was defensible and not calls we have a right to really complain about imo
And i include the Rapana attempted try in that
Nick mate I think you know that I don't blame the refs but that offside tackle on Rapana was pretty bad. Its really the only one that has me miffed because I am sick to death of these cynical little penalties where players roll the dice knowing the worse that could happen is a penalty.

I will watch it again later because you seem so sure it was defensible but live I thought it was a flatout professional foul and should have been a sin bin (obviously in a world where the refs use the sin bin for professional fouls)

BUT I do agree we have much bigger fish to fry than the refs. We lost that one fair and square.

We are so disorganised I think it is time to just take a risk and play Sezer at 5/8th and Hodgson at half. Yeah Hodgson has struggled defending at halfback in the past but we could just leave him defending in the middle and slide a player out a bit wider. Austin can come off the bench or whatever.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Canberra Milk wrote:I'm not calling it golden point anymore. It's clearly just a field goal fest, "golden field goal". The equivalent of the equally stupid penalty shootout in soccer
Its easily the best part of soccer.

After watching games that have 5,000 passes and they barely go over the halfway line, diving like they are Greg Louganis, and barely any action.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

RaiderSpark wrote:Interesting/Disturbing Fact: We havent won a golden point game by kicking a field goal since August 13th 2006 vs West Tigers
Was that the game Toddles stole by being offside the entirely of golden point and kicking the ugliest field goal that has ever been kicked.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

I think the chances of any significant positional changes are fairly slim. Ricky seems - perhaps justifiably - all in on this team, and is going to back it in and hope we come good. Every week it becomes harder to believe that we will though unfortunately. Hopefully the addition of Baptiste and (potentially) DT can add some spark in the coming weeks.

Much as we all loved the ad-lib style of footy from last season, it seems like we've now got to the point where the team expects we'll be able to win games with individual brilliance alone. I agree with the comments on the coaching and our playmakers - it seems we play the same way every week rather than in any way tailoring our approach to the opposition on the day. Nearly every time Papa got the ball today he had an arm free, and yet we didn't have anyone there to receive an offload. Taufua barely got within the same postcode as one the bomb we sent his way and yet inexplicably we didn't test him again. We make life so difficult for ourselves by failing to exploit key areas where we have an clear advantage over the opposition.

It's easy to feel hard done by to have lost so many close games, but 6 wins and 7 losses is ultimately a fair reflection of the footy we're playing IMO.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Pigman wrote:
Archer wrote:

You're **** dead to me

I apologised unreservedly to the Raiders, it's players, fans and to the GH public
Now this really bugs me, we lost because you were too fancy to reuse some **** Chinese containers! Its this sort of stuff that ultimately drove off Nickman, I'm sure of it :rant
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL: Daly Cherry-Evans boots Manly Sea Eagles to golden-point win against Canberra Raiders

Last time it was Dylan Walker's boot, this time it was Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans that broke Canberra Raiders' hearts — their third golden-point loss of the season.

"At half-time it was a big job to get them going because they were disappointed in themselves. So we had a choice to make and we took the tough choice," coach Ricky Stuart said. "I knew they would. They're a very, very courageous bunch, that's why I say I love coaching them. Unfortunately we put ourselves in a very, very difficult position with our first-half performance and we paid for it in the end."

MANLY SEA EAGLES 21 (Dylan Walker, Martin Taupau, Jorge Taufua, Daly Cherry-Evans tries; Matthew Wright 2 goals; Cherry-Evans field goal) bt CANBERRA RAIDERS 20 (Jordan Rapana 2, Blake Austin tries; Jarrod Croker 4 goals) at Brookvale Oval. Referees: Gerard Sutton, Chris Butler. Crowd: 11,318.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... wk1fe.html

NRL: Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana shows he's world's best against Manly Sea Eagles

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says it is easy to almost take Jordan Rapana for granted with his week-in, week-out efforts.

"He was really good again, Jordy. We sort of become too used to it with Jordan and BJ [Leilua] and certain individuals in the team and when they're down people think the world's caved in. Jordan's been up now for a while," he said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... wk1gk.html

Sea Eagles clinch golden point thriller: http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-clinch-go ... fault.aspx

Stuart proud of courageous Raiders: http://www.nrl.com/stuart-proud-of-cour ... fault.aspx

Sea Eagles v Raiders: Five key points: http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-v-raiders ... fault.aspx
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Pretty proud of the boys 2nd half...I thought we were going to get smashed at half time. Manly were red hot in that first 40
Botman
Mal Meninga

2017 Rd 13 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Botman »

Archer wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Archer wrote:

You're **** dead to me

Now this really bugs me, we lost because you were too fancy to reuse some **** Chinese containers! Its this sort of stuff that ultimately drove off Nickman, I'm sure of it :rant
I've forgotten who I am and where I come from.
I've sold out. And for what? Reheated goods that don't have that familiar plasticy taste?

This is a crisis of my being.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Archer wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Archer wrote:

You're **** dead to me

Who's Nickman?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

We really lost that game in the first half with a poor all round performance. The courage to fight back into and go so close is admirable but we keep putting ourselves in these positions.

The team lacks direction, maturity and composure and that makes the biggest difference in close games.

For whatever reason we will never be a team that gets the lucky 50/50 call that gifts us a win we didn't deserve so the only way to win is stop putting ourselves in positions where that is a factor.

The knock on call against rapana was flat out disgraceful. A player lying in the ruck stands up and tackles him from behind. Never onside, mandatory penalty every day of the week.

There were some other shockers but if we keep putting ourselves in the spot where those calls can cost us a game.

We need to control what we can and if we do we will be able to win games in spite of bad calls.

In the next 5 weeks we have a now red hot panthers then home games against the donkeys, cows, dragons and Storm. It's make or break against the best in the comp and in current form it is hard to see us winning more than 1-2 of those games and if that happens we will struggle to make the 8 in another season of missed opportunities.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We're in even bigger trouble if Boyd and Bateman are out next week.

Could see a middle third of Paulo, Priest, Soliola, Tapine, Hunt and Sorensen. Christ.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sorensen is barely big enough for the back row let alone the middle. Surely Lima comes back or Makatoa debuts.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Paps might see some time in the middle in that situation. If Baptiste is back we could also see Hodgo spend a good 25-30min at lock.

Whats the latest on Dave Taylor?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Had a new experience yesterday at Brookie.

We were there with a bunch of Manly supporting friends on the hill near the half-way line.

A few women (and their partners) were standing behind us having a skinful and swearing like sailors. So far, so expected.

Anyway, in the midst of an f-this f-that tirade (due to the Raiders evening things up), my 10yo daughter innocently turns around to see who is swearing and is then told directly by one of the women to **** off.

She then bursts into tears as of course this sort of thing has never happened to her before. My wife then gets up and walks over to the woman and starts having a go at her and the woman is completely indignant, saying "the family hill's over there", etc.

We had no issue with the swearing, but tell our kid (or any other kid) to **** off and that's a different matter.

One of our female friends (in Manly gear) then grabbed my wife by the arm and encouraged her to go and hug my daughter, which she did, and she then proceeded to tell the woman off, as did our other friends and other random Manly supporters.

I made a few disparaging comments to her boyfriend/husband and then a bloke a few rows back then told us "**** off, you're not welcome here". I said "that's why everyone hates you".

I had other Manly supporters coming up to me afterwards and apologising. It would be easy to just say it was a Manly thing but it wasn't.

Somewhat sullied the game day experience as we were all having fun up to that point (despite the scoreline).
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Poida_Raider »

fulivai wrote:
BVRaider wrote:It's hard to be critical when we were down to 15 and lost it on home ground calls. Leiluas pass was 50/50 but the Manly defence didn't attempt to stop the play they just threw their hands up and the ref gave them the benefit of the doubt. Uate clearly makes a play at the ball and we could of got a penalty that would of given us a chance to win it but once again Manly got the benefit of the doubt. Tough loss to take but it was a great comeback that didn't get the right result, if we found a way to win in gp it would of been the win of the season. Bring on the Panthers next week.
Spot on

Sent from my SM-G930F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The worst thing about the strip or non-strip as it was, is that the penalty that we conceded in Canberra to give them the game was when one of their players literally just let go of the ball when our guy was holding it to prevent an offload.