2017 Rd 13 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Manly Sea Eagles
Sunday 4 June 2:00pm
Brookvale Oval
Gates open: 9:30am, Holden Cup 9:45am, NSW Premiership 11:45am
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Mostly sunny. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 10 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 mm Min 11 Max 20

Round 12 2017. It was a 24-16 win over the Roosters. The Raiders looked like they were in control for much of the match. Yet in the final stages, the Roosters had all the momentum and it looked - for a while - like they would produce an unlikely come from behind win. The Sydney team, missing five Origin representatives, had a chance to level the match in the 74th minute, when a Latrell Mitchell try narrowed the Raiders' lead to 18-16. But Michael Gordon missed the conversion attempt from the sideline. And Canberra not only held on, but pounced on a Roosters' error in the final minute, with an Aidan Sezer try securing the much needed win.

More on Round 12: As I saw it

The Raiders head back on the road in Round 13 for a clash with the Manly Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval. The Raiders have named Josh Papalii to back up from State of Origin duty on Wednesday night. However, Luke Bateman has been ruled out for one to two weeks with a minor thumb injury. Sia Soliola is named at lock. The Sea Eagles have named the same top 17 that defeated the Gold Coast in Round 11 - including their two Origin representatives.

Late changes: The Canberra Raiders have omitted Scott Sorensen and Lachlan Croker from their squad to play the Manly Sea Eagles on Sunday. Royce Hunt and Brent Naden remain on the extended bench. The Sea Eagles have not yet announced which players have been omitted, but Nate Myles is likely to be ruled out with injury.

Matt's Match-ups: Which players win the skins?

Franko's Five: Five things the Raiders should do to beat the Sea Eagles

History: The Canberra Raiders have won 20 of 52 matches against the Manly Sea Eagles and drawn one. That's just under a 40 per cent win rate. Things don't improve when you add in the fixtures the Raiders played against the Northern Eagles - they won just two of six games. Canberra has had some long stretches with limited success against Manly. Until 1989, Canberra won just one match against the team from the northern beaches. And since 2004, the Raiders have won just five matches against the Sea Eagles.

Canberra lost the clash played just weeks ago at Canberra Stadium, 20-18, in golden point. It was a match the Raiders could have, and should have, won. More positively, Canberra won both clashes in 2016 - a 30-18 win in Round 13 at Canberra Stadium and a 44-30 victory in Round 25 at Brookvale.

Canberra has won just three of the last 10 matches between the clubs. The Raiders also have a relatively poor record at Brookvale Oval, winning 10 of 26 games played.

In this week's "History Happens", we go back to 1984 for a Round 23 clash at Seiffert Oval, the first ever win for the Raiders over the Sea Eagles. Sam Backo, Craig Bellamy and Matthew Corkery scored tries for the Green Machine, while Phil Blake and Kerry Boustead scored tries for Manly. In the end, the Raiders ran out 16-12 winners in front of 7,727 people.

Form: The Raiders have a LLLWW record in the past five matches, while the Sea Eagles are on a LWWLW form line. The Sea Eagles are coming off a bye in Round 12, but were last start winners over the Titans, 30-10.

Betting: The Raiders are now $1.80 favourites. The Sea Eagles are paying $2.05 and have 1.5 points start. The market has shifted towards the Raiders over the week.

Stat attack: It's sixth versus eighth on the ladder - and at the start of the season, not many people would have been tipping that it'd be the Sea Eagles that are ahead of the Raiders. However, both teams have won six matches each.

Attack: The Raiders have now scored more points than any other team (276), but with the bye weekends kicking in, it is the averages that really count. Canberra averages 23 points (four tries) per match, fourth in the competition - while the Sea Eagles rank second in attack (23.6 points or 4.3 tries per match).

The Sea Eagles average a slightly greater share of the ball (50-49 per cent of the ball) and higher completion rate (77-75 per cent) than the Raiders. The Raiders are awarded seven and concede 6.4 penalties per match. In contrast, the Sea Eagles are awarded 6.3 and concede over seven penalties in each game. However, only one team makes fewer errors than the Sea Eagles (9.6 per match), and it's not the Raiders (10.8).

The Sea Eagles make slightly more running metres (1403-1392 metres per match) and neither club are chart toppers. However, both teams make very good metres per run (9.5). The Sea Eagles also make slightly more kick metres than the Raiders (429-412 metres per match).

The Sea Eagles have produced more line breaks (5.4-4.7 per match), offloads (11.7-9.6 per match) and try assists (3.9-3.7 per match) this season. However the Raiders have more tackle breaks (32.8-27.6 per match) than the Sea Eagles - with the Raiders ranked second in the league.

Defence: The Sea Eagles also have slightly better defence. They concede 18.5 points (3.1 tries) per match, compared to 18.8 points (3.3 tries) for the Raiders. The Sharks are the benchmark at present, conceding less than 13 points and two tries per match - so both teams have room for improvement. The Sea Eagles concede fewer running metres than any other team in the competition (1321 metres per match, compared to 1378 metres for the Raiders). The Sea Eagles miss just one more tackle per match than the Raiders (24.4-23.4) and have a slightly worse missed to made tackle ratio. Both concede around 3.5 line breaks and 10 offloads per match.

Our tip: It is very difficult to split the teams, but the Sea Eagles have a slight statistical advantage. One thing in Canberra's favour is that Manly has won just one of five matches at Brookvale this season. It's normally dubbed "the fortress", but perhaps the home ground advantage isn't as strong in season 2017. The other thing in Canberra's favour is that Manly's dangerous fullback Tom Trbojevic is out with injury. Finally, the Raiders have just one player backing up from Origin (Josh Papalii), the Sea Eagles two (Jake Trbojevic and Nate Myles). This match could go either way, but I'm going to tip the Raiders will turn the tables on the Sea Eagles. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Jordan Rapana: "They're a good team and they've hit form and they're playing well, but I'm keen to get one back on them. We lost here at home and I'm still filthy about that. I'm sure the boys are too and I'm sure we want to get one back on them."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Sia Soliola

14. Adam Clydsdale
15. Joe Tapine
16. Clay Priest
17. Dunamis Lui
18. Scott Sorensen
19. Royce Hunt
20. Brent Naden
21. Lachlan Croker

Manly Sea Eagles

1. Matthew Wright
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Brian Kelly
5. Akuila Uate
6. Blake Green
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Brenton Lawrence
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Frank Winterstein
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Lewis Brown
15. Jackson Hastings
16. Nate Myles
17. Addin Fonua-Blake

18. Jarrad Kennedy
19. Cameron Cullen
20. Jonathan Wright
22. Lloyd Perrett

* Players in light grey omitted.

Officials:

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Chris Butler
Sideline Officials: Rohan Best, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLManlyRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2017 Rd 13 V Sea Eagles: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

Correct me if i'm wrong but this would be the 1st time in 13 games we haven't been favourites... predicting a close game, with that **** dirty grub Walker to kick a winning feid goal, or penalty goal.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not sure Lucky. It's definitely the first time in 13 games we've named Royce Hunt...
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

gangrenous wrote:Not sure Lucky. It's definitely the first time in 13 games we've named Royce Hunt...
What if i told you Royce Hunt looks a lot like Paulo in a headguard ?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Lucky wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but this would be the 1st time in 13 games we haven't been favourites... predicting a close game, with that **** dirty grub Walker to kick a winning feid goal, or penalty goal.
not sure but with no tom Trbjevevebeje and his brother and Myles backing up I reckon we are good value
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Don't think we were favorites against North Queensland or Brisbane. Have been the rest though.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

kiwi raider wrote:
Lucky wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but this would be the 1st time in 13 games we haven't been favourites... predicting a close game, with that **** dirty grub Walker to kick a winning feid goal, or penalty goal.
not sure but with no tom Trbjevevebeje and his brother and Myles backing up I reckon we are good value
They're both named and will probably back up

EDIT- I read this originally as you implying they weren't backing up. My mistake

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tom Trbo was their best player by streets in the last game, he's a big loss

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:Tom Trbo was their best player by streets in the last game, he's a big loss

You mean dylan walker, surely.
Tom Trbojevic is a handy player who is a poor defensive fullback.
Dylan Walker and Marty Tapau took us apart.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
Tom hardly did a thing in that game except towards the end
I don't post facts
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Tapau and Fonua-Blake walked all over our pack, both running for 170+ metres and throwing about 100 offloads
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote:
-TW- wrote:Tom Trbo was their best player by streets in the last game, he's a big loss

You mean dylan walker, surely.
Tom Trbojevic is a handy player who is a poor defensive fullback.
Dylan Walker and Marty Tapau took us apart.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yep, Kapows offloads were killing us that night.

Need to squash him early...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

i'd like tapine to take it to him as he did last year, really nulified him and got in his head.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Absolutely teaming rain right now in Manly. Supposed to be fine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Teeming GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

It's on.

Looking forward to this, hope the boys step up.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

This game and the next few are vitally important to any success we may wish this season .. we are playing teams that are as desperate as us to stay in the finals race .. we do ourselves a big favour by taking points from them and adding it to our side of the ledger .. 4 point games.

Beat Manly and we take their position in the eight .. beat Penrith and we add another two points between us and them .. we'll then bank an automatic 2 points from the bye, create a buffer from 9th, rest a few injuries, get Baptiste and Taylor back, and, with that confidence can start making an assault for the top 4. I have to admit I'm not totally confident.

We did ourselves a favour last week beating Parra but now need to continue that form. The players are saying all the right things in the media and hopefully this will be the game they begin to consistently apply all that on the field. I don't want to delve on the alternative.

GO YOU RAIDERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Raidersfan on June 4, 2017, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

I sense great anger in my future. From around the 2pm mark onward... weird

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day! Agree that is an important one to win but also a danger game. We are a long way off our best so would love to see a game where a few things click to give us some confidence. I'm guessing this will be another nail biter!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Nothing danger about this
Manly are playing better football than us right now, are at home and the bookies have this basically a pick em
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day...........Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

A win today moves us to 6th and 2 points of third. A big win moves us to 5th. A loss has us languishing in 9th. Crucial game.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

If we can control Tapau's offloads we dominate this game comfortably.

If we can't control their 2nd phrase play then we will be on the back foot and in a dog fight again and we know how that normally ends.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Pigman wrote:Nothing danger about this
Manly are playing better football than us right now, are at home and the bookies have this basically a pick em
Danger in the sense that the repercussions of losing are huge. Not that it is an expected victory.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Game day....again.

Anyone know how to fix the NRL stream? I get 'parsing f4m error' for some reason, even though the past few weeks were fine and I could watch the game.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

pickles wrote:
Danger in the sense that the repercussions of losing are huge. Not that it is an expected victory.
Yeah that's fair
This is a huge game in the context of our season
This little period is where we are either going to get it together and start rolling, or where it becomes clear this won't be our year
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Either way I think Manly are playing much better footy than people are giving them credit for... They have beaten some quality football teams this yr. This will be a huge test and should make for another cracker of a game
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

So I don't see anyone with the last name Gordon in that Manly side... Bombs away Austin
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

How's the weather @ Lottoland ?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Pigman wrote:
pickles wrote:
Yeah that's fair
This is a huge game in the context of our season
This little period is where we are either going to get it together and start rolling, or where it becomes clear this won't be our year
After this week we have panthers away and then Broncos, cows, dragons and storm at home. In 6 weeks we will know exactly where we are this season.

A good run and we could push for the top 4. A bad run and we could be lucky to make the 8!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Game Day MOFO's!!!
I just have that feeling that things are going to "click" today at Brookie!!
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Dr Zaius wrote:A win today moves us to 6th and 2 points of third. A big win moves us to 5th. A loss has us languishing in 9th. Crucial game.

No. A win by 4 or more points moves us to 7th and 4 points from 4th. Some teams have had their bye though.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Kryptonite wrote:Game Day MOFO's!!!
I just have that feeling that things are going to "click" today at Brookie!!
Like it did in 2014 when we had 'turned a corner' after beating Melbourne at home?

Really hope your are right but for some reason we always struggle against Manly.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Well, I also feel good about this. Surely the boys got a massive confidence boost that they held onto a tight one last week, they've gritted out two tough wins, I don't give a **** how pretty they are.

As long as we don't fall into the trap of that little piece of **** Walker we'll be fine. Let's do this!

Side note: It's a good thing I don't have to go anywhere. The fog is so damn thick I can't even see halfway down my street.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

All the favourites have gotten up so far this weekend, so it's time for the under dog to win !

On another note how expensive are these tickets !!!! $38 for GA! That's including a $6 processing fee ...

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated