The Tennis Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Re: The Tennis Thread

Post by Professor »

@Gerg - yep, he's right. It makes it all the more ridiculous when you have little women like Justine Henin making zero noise when she's exerting herself.

@Nick - yep. I watched a bit of the first tie last week in which Tomic was playing, and not only was Hewitt celebrating mistakes from his opponent when he played, but he's now doing it as David Cup captain. Like, the worst of the worst unforced errors, and he's out of his seat celebrating like he just busted his first nut.

The **** balls on this guy.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Gerg wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:How could you not love Maria, i am pretty sure she is a goddess from another world sent here for our entertainment.

I think your summary is correct though, given the time frames she would have been in solid training for the Aus open in early Jan and would have people that look after her dietary and supplement requirements on a daily basis so I doubt she made a conscious decision to cheat.

More like a mistake that she will pay a heavy price for, sad considering it is drug that doesn't seem to work anyway.
Her on court antics / theatrics, mate. Walks around like she owns the joint; takes 9 hours to serve (both first and second serves); screams as if she's being stabbed (although, strangely, when the ball is clearly sailing wide said scream miracously is cut short).

Really, really can't stand her, and since I'm not looking to rub one out during the tennis, her on court nonsense overrides the fact she's a good sort.
I remember seeing an interview with John Newcombe quite a few years back and he despised the screaming, claimed it was a form of cheating. He said that the players at that level can tell from the 'whizzing' of the ball how much the ball is spinning giving them an idea of the bounce the ball is likely to take and also how it will come off the racquet.
Whats Newk's views on coloured clothing ?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raider 85 wrote:@Gerg - yep, he's right. It makes it all the more ridiculous when you have little women like Justine Henin making zero noise when she's exerting herself.

@Nick - yep. I watched a bit of the first tie last week in which Tomic was playing, and not only was Hewitt celebrating mistakes from his opponent when he played, but he's now doing it as David Cup captain. Like, the worst of the worst unforced errors, and he's out of his seat celebrating like he just busted his first nut.

The **** balls on this guy.
Yeah, he's a **** pig of the highest order. I've never liked his rubbish.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah right. Lleyton was the first player to celebrate winning a point. Before he came along they used to just toff their caps at their opponent to celebrate a point. Davis cup is notorious for poor sportsmanship.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

First one I remember carrying on like an absolute **** every time he won a point, and what **** me the most, is many of them do it now!!

"C'mon!!"

"**** off!!"
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I don't mind players celebrating a point if they've smoked a winner, won a match or major or whatever; it's when it's off the back of someone elses error - particularly an unforced error.

I can't of the top of my head think about anyone in recent times doing it except Hewitt.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raider 85 wrote:I don't mind players celebrating a point if they've smoked a winner, won a match or major or whatever; it's when it's off the back of someone elses error - particularly an unforced error.

I can't of the top of my head think about anyone in recent times doing it except Hewitt.
Spot on. The opposite player mishits it and hits it out by two metres and Hewitt fist pumps and yells "C'MON!!"

"**** OFF!!"
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I think Lleyton would always take the credit for bloke mishitting a shot. He had to hit it to him in the first place.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Federer just did Cilic in 5 after being down 2 sets to love. One of the best tennis matches you'll ever see.

Have to feel for Cilic - he looked in control during every set except the 5th. Blew 3 match points also.

Classic nerves of steel shown by Federer throughout - absolute freak. Really didn't play his best tennis - many an unforced error - but got the job done on the most important points from set 3.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Ana Ivanovic announces her retirement age 29.

And with that news my interest in women's tennis is over.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

-PJ- wrote:Ana Ivanovic announces her retirement age 29.

Yep my thoughts and sentiments exactly and then just in time Eugenie Bouchard arrives on court to rekindle my interest in woman's tennis.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/eug ... 7228106e03
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

BJ123 wrote:
-PJ- wrote:Ana Ivanovic announces her retirement age 29.

Yep my thoughts and sentiments exactly and then just in time Eugenie Bouchard arrives on court to rekindle my interest in woman's tennis.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/eug ... 7228106e03
Ok ok I'll watch women's tennis a bit longer.

But when Miss Bouchard retires I'm done.... :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

SEPPPPPPI
COME ON!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bombed a 2 set lead.. nothing better
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I can't believe so many people were cheering for him. Such a petulant, miserable human being.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I cheered hard for Seppi.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I had money on Kyrgios and I cheered for Seppi!

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So did most of Australia
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Kyrgios is making a serious, SERIOUS run at Hewitt's crown here
He's riding a wave of ****-ish, petulant behavior and taking it too Lil Lleyton. Can he usurp the king? I dont know but god im excited to find out!

I felt let down, disappointed, even elements of depression when i opened Bet365 and didnt have an easy spite bet to place against Hewitt, i settled for bets against Tomic and Kyrgios... a desperate heave into the end zone, just trying to recapture the good times... and dear reader, i captured it, spite betting Kyrgios, a known quitter going into the 5th against an un-ranked opponent in the early rounds of a major... friends, this was the most alive i've felt gambling in years!

Spite betting is back, baby!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's worse than Hewitt. I'm ashamed the bloke is from Canberra.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

He's way worse than Hewitt. Even just his whole demeanor and expressions are enough to get him over that line before we even start to mix in all the other bad qualities.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I heard some of this this morning on radio, but not the full extent of it: http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/nick ... mpaign=crm

Extraordinary.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

What a Dud Stud.

He has a hot GF and hope she's in it for the money because it couldn't be for his performances.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote:He's worse than Hewitt. I'm ashamed the bloke is from Canberra.
Woodgers wrote:He's way worse than Hewitt. Even just his whole demeanor and expressions are enough to get him over that line before we even start to mix in all the other bad qualities.
Boys! You can't just let some young buck come in here, **** all over the carpet for a year and let him have the crown

Lil Lleyton put in over a decade plus of hard yakka being an absolute garbage human being. Day in, day out. You don't oust a deadbeat legend like that

Pay him some respect

Kyrgios is off to a HOF wanker start, no doubt about that, but I'll need to see him sustain this level of wankerdom for at least another 2-3 seasons before I'm willing to give him Hewitts well earned crown

It's just about respecting Hewitt as a total and complete tosser. He was an artist.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Kyrgios is a genius.

He's not here for you all to live out your dreams through him.

If he wants to throw a match to make an artistic statement, I'm all for it.

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Djokovic OUT.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

greeneyed wrote:Djokovic OUT.
Oohhh
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote:
Woodgers wrote:He's way worse than Hewitt. Even just his whole demeanor and expressions are enough to get him over that line before we even start to mix in all the other bad qualities.
Boys! You can't just let some young buck come in here, **** all over the carpet for a year and let him have the crown

Lil Lleyton put in over a decade plus of hard yakka being an absolute garbage human being. Day in, day out. You don't oust a deadbeat legend like that

Pay him some respect

Kyrgios is off to a HOF wanker start, no doubt about that, but I'll need to see him sustain this level of wankerdom for at least another 2-3 seasons before I'm willing to give him Hewitts well earned crown

It's just about respecting Hewitt as a total and complete tosser. He was an artist.
I didn't mind Hewitt, he was a competitor like McEnroe and Connors. He was volatile because he hated losing even a solitary point but he was never really bad. A few times he disappointed me but not much. He was a bit of a brat but not terrible for me. Kygios is the opposite to that, he's not a competitor at all. And he's a complete wanker.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

When Hewitt went out on the court you knew he was going to give it 100%, some of his 5 set epics will be what this guy is remembered for.

As for NickO, he has no ticker something that cannot be changed.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hewitt was a flog but at least he had a crack..

Kyrgios is a ****
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No respect for those who have come before us!

Hewy! The OG flog, the north remembers
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Woodgers wrote:
Pigman wrote:

Pay him some respect

I didn't mind Hewitt, he was a competitor like McEnroe and Connors. He was volatile because he hated losing even a solitary point but he was never really bad. A few times he disappointed me but not much. He was a bit of a brat but not terrible for me. Kygios is the opposite to that, he's not a competitor at all. And he's a complete wanker.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW, amazing video graphics around centre court fence at the Open. They had something like that at Manuka Oval too. We need that sort of thing at Canberra Stadium.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ouch Novak.

And yeah, captain dingleberry is way off. Agree with the rest of you - Hewitt could be a pratt at times but there's no comparison - Kyrgios is the lowest of the low. Can't ever imagine I'd want to support him in any way shape or form.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hewitt had a couple of absolute clangers as far as how he treated a few people but you could never question his performance on the court. TBH I've never seen Kyrios play but based on everything I've read he seems like such a dick on and off the court. I do find it a bit rich McEnroe having a dig at anybody's behaviour though. He was the 'gold standard' as far as absolute wankers are concerned and nobody has come close to matching his efforts.
Shoving it in your face since 2017