The Politics Thread 2016

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Good economic figures out today. I am looking forward to watching Morrison try to shift blame for this.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Oddly enough, the libs / nats have a political interest in the economy tanking.

Nobody is going to vote labor / green if they are worried about the economy.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Tell that to Malcolm Fraser in 1983 or (nearly) Bob Menzies in 1961.
Economic competence is the minimal requirement for retaining office and so far Abbott/Turnbull have not shown enough of it. They have about one year to lift their game or their gone.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

papabear wrote:Oddly enough, the libs / nats have a political interest in the economy tanking.

I think the idea that the Liberals are better economic managers is slowly going the way of Malcolm's personal popularity. There's only so many times you can say something that isn't true and expect people to believe it.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
papabear wrote:Oddly enough, the libs / nats have a political interest in the economy tanking.

I think the idea that the Liberals are better economic managers is slowly going the way of Malcolm's personal popularity. There's only so many times you can say something that isn't true and expect people to believe it.
It isnt about what they say it is who they represent and what their experience is.

The labor party generally consist of:-
- union officials
- compo type lawyers.

No matter how bad, or what the liberal party say, they are going to be considered more business savvy then the above.

Hate to break it to you, but a union fundamentally does not create growth / productivity / innovation / profit / revenue or any other measure of business success you might want to put out there. It says the pie is this big and we want this share, it is not concerned about the size of the pie, just its piece of the pie. Additionally, it could be argued that some union officials dont even care about the size of the pie for there employees that they will sell out those they are paid to represent for a brown paper bag to help there political career.

Eitherway, the labor party are never going to get up on the economy whilst they sink into the quagmire of union officialdom, there last electoral success was on the back of a bloke who distanced himself from the unions, who has been pressing for the labor party to move to the people and away from unions.

The notion that liberal party manage the economy better isnt because people have heard the libs bang on about this. It is because of labor.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Cranky Old Man wrote:Tell that to Malcolm Fraser in 1983 or (nearly) Bob Menzies in 1961.
Economic competence is the minimal requirement for retaining office and so far Abbott/Turnbull have not shown enough of it. They have about one year to lift their game or their gone.
Turnbull and abbott may go, but it wont be off the back of voters thinking the labor/green coalition will achieve any economic success.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If Labor can't look at Brexit and Trump and work out a campaign against Liberals as the 1% next election then they are a pack of idiots who deserve to lose.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-on ... t7xh4.html

This week was a case study.

A cabinet minister announced that the government would proceed with a long-scheduled policy review.

The review of climate policy, mandated by the Abbott government, would be an open minded exercise to review progress to existing national goals, Josh Frydenberg said.

A day and a half of squawks of protest by a handful of conservative members of his Coalition proved unbearable pressure.

A confident leader would have defended his cabinet minister, stood firm in defence of a scheduled policy review and proceeded with rational policymaking.

This is what himself Turnbull, in the early days of his prime ministership, said he'd do:"We have got to be able to consider policy options in an unfettered way," he said in a Fairfax Media interview, speaking about tax. "We've got to have the maturity to have a debate that is not throwing things off the table...

"Because what happens is politicians who get intimidated by their opponents or by the media or whatever, they say, 'Oh that's off the table, that's off the table, that's off the table' and suddenly there's nothing left on the table."

But that was Old Malcolm.

New Malcolm panicked and took options off the table. He did it on tax. This week he did it on climate policy. In doing so he humiliated his cabinet minister, ignored expert advice, and overruled the electricity industry.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

There is no new or old Malcolm. Turnbull has always been self-serving and incompetent in government and opposition.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote:There is no new or old Malcolm. Turnbull has always been self-serving and incompetent in government and opposition.
That is generally what it takes to succeed in politics in our country.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Dutton wants us to 'rise up' and protect Christmas from political correctness.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Oh yes that time of the year some Christians cry they're persecuted because some people like to acknowledge there are around 38 religious celebrations during December by wishing people a happy holiday instead of a merry Christmas. :roll:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I haven't seen enough tinsel everywhere. We've got to rise up for the tinsel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

"It is clear that we need strength to tackle our drug problem here in Australia. So instead of Western sneering at Duterte and the Philippines, perhaps we can learn from them."

That Christensen is a real ideas man. He also loves a good photograph.

FTR. What is overwhelmingly clear is that criminalisation of drugs doesn't significantly reduce demand, doesn't effectively restrict supply and doesn't protect anyone or anything other than police jobs and criminal profits.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Learn from Duterte is he **** serious? Is he suggesting the government should endorse death squads to kill civilians on suspicion of drug use or dealing without a fair trial? How about we follow the **** evidence and experts not the lead of a raving lunatic.

Every time I think Christensen can't get any dumber he finds a new way to prove me wrong.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

**** nickman. if it wasnt for him, we wouldnt have this plague set upon us.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Obama slams political correctness

https://t.co/qOfiwQvkJ6

Guess to some he's just a middle aged white guy looking for an excuse to be racist ;)
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:Obama slams political correctness

Guess to some he's just a middle aged white guy looking for an excuse to be racist ;)
One person's political correctness gone mad is another's divisive hate speech. Unfortunately there's no consensus on where that line should be.

What I can't stand though, is when people like Trump and Lyle Shelton use political correctness to play the victim.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

One person's political correctness gone mad is another's divisive hate speech. Unfortunately there's no consensus on where that line should be.

What I can't stand though, is when people like Trump and Lyle Shelton use political correctness to play the victim.
I have always relied on the old
sticks and stones as my approach.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

Exactly which is why it **** me when someone argues against political correctness and if they're white its automatically assumed by some they only object because they want to be racist.

I'm with Obama, being nice and not using derogatory terms about other groups isn't political correctness that's just manners. When I whinge about political correctness gone mad it's examples like removing the term "masters" from degrees because of the slave connotation, removing a painting of Shakespeare because he isn't diverse enough and replacing it with a black lesbian poet instead of hanging them side by side.

Before people jump down the throat of others criticising PC culture gone mad they should identify what PC that person is criticising, too much nuance to that term.

On Shelton have you seen he's ignoring the police report on the explosion and blaming it on the ACLs stance against marriage equality and safe schools.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

papabear wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Rubbish. Emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
papabear wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Rubbish. Emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse.
speak for yourself

I always try to see why people are speaking like that or expressing themselves like that as opposed to take it personally.,

but then I am me. and you are not me.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But then you've probably not been seriously emotionally abused.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Is papabear really dismissing the impacts of emotional abuse?

Hoooo boy. That's a banger
On Christmas Eve no less!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Papabear special
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Not dismissing anything.

From my own life I get yelled and abused at quite a bit. It is part of what I do, from that and other life experiences i have learnt that instead of biting back or taking it on board and depressing yourself, I am better of empathising with the person and trying to help them through there anger and pain patiently.

How you gents handle that is up to u. But as I said I am me and thats how I am.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

And merry xmas every1
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... tj4ro.html

"(It's bemusing that maverick government backbencher George Christensen threatened to cross the floor to vote against the allegedly retrospective nature of superannuation changes that would have touched a tiny and quite well-off proportion of his electorate, but has gone quiet with the pension changes that will impact more and the not so well-off.)"