2016 US Elections

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2016 US Elections

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote:I'll be interested to see if he remains a belligerent **** head or if he is actually genuine about making a difference
I'm expecting (hoping) the latter. However wouldn't be shocked if it was the former.

This result clearly shows there's a massive number of people in the US who are tired of politics and have elected somebody who has done everything the opposite of what the book says. Makes it easier when they are presented with Hillary as the alternative.

If anything its highlighted that the US democratic process is rooted.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sterlk wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Sterlk wrote:I saw that as well. Surely it can't be right? Clinton just sent some dude to their HQ to tell everybody to go home because the votes are still being counted, and there'll be more to say in the morning.
Ya boi Nate Silver
2008-2016

Rip
Sterlk wrote:I don't think anybody doing predictions based purely on statistics would have gotten this. Pretty much every poll had Clinton winning.

I think the "shy Trumps" theory has been vastly underestimated; people didn't want to admit they support Trump because he's so widely reviled, hence the polls all said Clinton.
Its a tough night for anybody who made predictions based on polls instead of punditry, I don't think Nate Silver should be singled out for criticism. While they were still wrong, before polls opened FiveThirtyEight gave Trump slightly less than a 30% chance to win... and they were copping crap for giving Trump too much of a chance!
Haha, i was just taking petty swipes mate
I genuinely thought he was going to get waxed so im not different, except i guess im not **** paid to accurately predict this stuff

Nate Silver rose to fame on his incredibly accurate predictions of elections... he's going to die on this Trump cant win hill. He's been wrong every step of the way here, that's going to hard to come back from
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I am honestly wondering if this is the beginning of the world. I'm not even kidding.

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Pigman wrote:I said to my son today Im sorry for what people of my generation are doing to your future across the world, and he told me that it was OK because he's a Trex and he has sharp teeth and can eat people.
And it dawned on me that some how his response made more sense than anything ive seen or witnessed today.

I suggested if he's going to start eating people, maybe he could start with the president elect.
How has political conversation with ur son gone down in the past?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

papabear wrote:
Pigman wrote:I said to my son today Im sorry for what people of my generation are doing to your future across the world, and he told me that it was OK because he's a Trex and he has sharp teeth and can eat people.
And it dawned on me that some how his response made more sense than anything ive seen or witnessed today.

I suggested if he's going to start eating people, maybe he could start with the president elect.
Not great. He's 3 so he's only been able to articulate his political views about favouring eating people as a trex and voting for Peppa pig for about 18 months now

I kind of agree with him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

****, Peppa pig would have romped this election
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2016 US Election

Post by Northern Raider »

COrrect me if I'm wrong, this result continues the pattern that when a party completes 2 terms the other wins the next election.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Pigman wrote:Haha, i was just taking petty swipes mate
I genuinely thought he was going to get waxed so im not different, except i guess im not **** paid to accurately predict this stuff

Nate Silver rose to fame on his incredibly accurate predictions of elections... he's going to die on this Trump cant win hill. He's been wrong every step of the way here, that's going to hard to come back from
I'd probably agree with you if he went out on a limb and everybody else was saying the opposite, but they're all in this boat together. I'd be interested to see how many similar publications gave Trump as much chance as they did.

The modelling is based off the polls. You get out what you put in, and unfortunately for all involved, the polls were ****.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Often happens, but Republicans won three terms fairly recently with Reagan and George Bush Snr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... ted_States
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Since 92 yes, the Republicans had 3 successive terms before that with GHW Bush and Reagan
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2016 US Elections

Post by Sid »

Pigman wrote:
papabear wrote:

Not great. He's 3 so he's only been able to articulate his political views about favouring eating people as a trex and voting for Peppa pig for about 18 months now

I kind of agree with him.
Poor thing has already been through 4 different Australian Prime ministers! I can understand the nonchalance
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

#kanyebro2020

But really, Trump is a great salesman. He'll mellow out now, he's said what he needed to get the deal done. He knew he needed to stir up the dumb and angry. There'll be a half arsed wall, and he won't be expelling Mexicans or banning Muslims like he said. It'll be just enough to save himself from being a hipocrite, and he'll get on with renegotiating pretty much everything.

He's got both houses of congress, so he's not going to be obstructed the way Obama was in making any change. Plus most of the party leaders deserted him during his campaign for one reason or another, so the magnitude of the win gives him tremendous power over the party.
This means he'll have the opportunity to do heaps, and get it through without much fight. That sets him up well for controlling the narrative and getting reelected. Like the debates, expectations of him were so low he just had to finish to get a pass. As long as he doesn't start a nuke war, he'll get a pass mark.

He'll get a 2nd term.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Love all those who apparently know better about what americans want than the majority of Americans. Love the tantrum being chucked by the supporters of the losing party. But most of all, i love the way the some people who think trump is a bad person are happy to speculate about him potentially being assassinated. Great people all round
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Actually, I doubt it was the majority of Americans, was it?

(Genuinely don't know, and on a crappy internet connection in a basement restaurant in Kobe)

Can someone check?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Beejay wrote:#kanyebro2020

But really, Trump is a great salesman. He'll mellow out now, he's said what he needed to get the deal done. He knew he needed to stir up the dumb and angry. There'll be a half arsed wall, and he won't be expelling Mexicans or banning Muslims like he said. It'll be just enough to save himself from being a hipocrite, and he'll get on with renegotiating pretty much everything.

He's got both houses of congress, so he's not going to be obstructed the way Obama was in making any change. Plus most of the party leaders deserted him during his campaign for one reason or another, so the magnitude of the win gives him tremendous power over the party.
This means he'll have the opportunity to do heaps, and get it through without much fight. That sets him up well for controlling the narrative and getting reelected. Like the debates, expectations of him were so low he just had to finish to get a pass. As long as he doesn't start a nuke war, he'll get a pass mark.

He'll get a 2nd term.
Wow. I never thought of it that way. All those people he made angry were just dumb and stupid. Why couldn't they see the light?
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:Actually, I doubt it was the majority of Americans, was it?

(Genuinely don't know, and on a crappy internet connection in a basement restaurant in Kobe)

Can someone check?

That NY times tracker has Trump ahead by about 22,000 votes, weird it must've just gotten close he's been ahead by 1.5 mil for half the day.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Here's a sample of the sorts of things Donald Trump has said about women: https://www.indy100.com/article/the-11- ... en-7352406

I've not much idea what slate.com is... But if 10 per cent of the things Trump has said here are correctly attributed... http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... s_why.html

He is a deplorable character, having made many racist and sexist remarks. I find it extraordinary that anyone would support such a person, but sadly, in the USA, millions have voted for him.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Well these are the kind of people you're dealing with:
https://www.facebook.com/PakaluPapitoOf ... 999279899/

Either they themselves are already sexist / racist / bigoted, or there's the other side of the coin that the issues they are concerned with are more important to them than how horrible a person Trump is which includes just doing it because you think it is hilarious.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Manbush wrote:

Can someone check?

That NY times tracker has Trump ahead by about 22,000 votes, weird it must've just gotten close he's been ahead by 1.5 mil for half the day.
Clinton now ahead by 40k
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I generally am surprised this happened, I think we can thank the FBI.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Manbush wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Can someone check?

Clinton now ahead by 40k
What i was watching before i left this morning mentioned that there were a large amount of absentee votes still left to count in places which were already declared for Hillary, so whilst it didn't impact the result, they expected what you're saying.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jason wrote:I generally am surprised this happened, I think we can thank the FBI.
Certainly contributed, but I doubt it was decisive.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woke up this morning hoping it was all just a bad dream
It wasn't.

**** humanity
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

T_R wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote:The stock market was just winding back from its position. A Clinton win was largely costed in. I dont see what's so surprising.
What is remarkable that the markets are reacting negatively to a Republican win. The markets generally prefer a Republican win in the USA, but I think it says a lot, that the markets see this as a negative.
Correct ... as usual it is a knee jerk reaction ... markets atm will amplify any "negative" news .. a lot of that is due to automated trading but at the end of the day it amounts to an over-reaction.
It's a perfectly rational winding back of an exposure.
Dow Jones futures was down near 1000 points, traded during the day above 300 point and finishes the days trading closing near record highs up near 260 points.

Not sure what reverse knee jerk reaction will happen on the ASX today.

Note to self ... never take perfectly rational advice from this guy

As has been the case in the past 5 years investors in stock markets are a gold mine for brokers.
I don't post facts
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Meltdowns over nothing.
Dont delete this GE
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

What's even worse than having Trump as president is having Pence as Vice President, hopefully he never gets a day and was only chosen to win the evangelicals vote.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Start stirring the pot trumpeter, shake this **** place up baby.
This place is woke.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:What's even worse than having Trump as president is having Pence as Vice President, hopefully he never gets a day and was only chosen to win the evangelicals vote.
What's worse is the Republicans having control of both houses. Over the next 4 years, all the issues we thought were behind us (gay marriage, abortion and contraception rights, the science of climate change) will be back on the agenda.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Everything is a concern, their education system, health, all science not just climate change, LGBT rights not just marriage equality, Pence would have to be close to the only one more scientifically illiterate than Trump.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

simo wrote:Meltdowns over nothing.
So you're of the opinion that elections don't really change things?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Im of the opinion that hes not going to be anywhere near as bad as the many, many australian experts on all things political would have you believe
Dont delete this GE
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

It's definitely going to be an interesting 4yrs
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

simo wrote:Meltdowns over nothing.
I disagree. I think this is substantial.

The world likes certainty, consistency and context. Trump provides none of those things. He has no policy record, is unlikely to appoint experienced hands to key roles, will need to implement some of his election promises, at least (TPP, overseas military and Immigration reform at very least), and is operating WITH A COMPLETELY COMPLIANT HOUSE AND SENATE. That last point is potentially as significant as the Trump election itself - there is nothing to stop him implementing a radical agenda. Governments do not work well without checks and balances.

So, no. I'm as cynical as the next guy on these things, but this is a big one. Things are going to change.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Also, has anyone heard from Schifty? I assume he's in Guantanamo?

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

simo wrote:Im of the opinion that hes not going to be anywhere near as bad as the many, many australian experts on all things political would have you believe
Well no he won't be because that would be world war 3 with america sitting on the side lines.
You don't have to go that far though to find a lot to be concerned about. When you add panic to legitimate concerns you end up with those exaggerated views, or you sign Curtis Sironen.

If none of it eventuates we can all just sit back and be happy that:
a) He didn't really change much, lied through his entire campaign, and ended up just being all bark no bite.
b) Was held in check by some excellent advisers / heads of government.

Both are not why he was so popular.

I think it's a bit silly to not expect significant change when they control all levels of government.

His first speech as president elect was the opposite of his divisive campaign. All inclusive but on the same general rule that you just tell people what they want to hear.
Last edited by zim on November 10, 2016, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.