We'd like your feedback on The Greenhouse 2016

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: We'd like your feedback on The Greenhouse 2016

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:And I'm just providing some feedback on your feedback. :)
I prefer to think of it as justifying your poor behaviour rather than feedback on feedback. But you're the boss, you do whatever the hell you like.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:
I prefer to think of it as justifying your poor behaviour rather than feedback on feedback. But you're the boss, you do whatever the hell you like.
I think it's unfair comment, and I'd encourage you to go back and read this year's Origin score updates.

I note you're not commenting on anyone else's behaviour during the Origin period, and if you're upset with my behaviour, I'm surprised you're not mentioning any Blues supporters.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote:
I think it's unfair comment, and I'd encourage you to go back and read this year's Origin score updates.

I note you're not commenting on anyone else's behaviour during the Origin period, and if you're upset with my behaviour, I'm surprised you're not mentioning any Blues supporters.
Because blues supporters are like the blues players total angels just standing up to the monsters from Qld :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

i hope youre all **** happy
Dont delete this GE
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I saw it first on Twitter! I do wonder which signing and captain they're talking about
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Gallen and tony williams?
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We've shared the results from the annual feedback survey and made some initial comments - but the site Administrators want to respond to a number of aspects of the feedback.

The satisfaction rate with the site is around 90 per cent and it is rare to get such high levels of satisfaction in such a survey. There was also some great feedback about what we do and the nature of the forum community. For example, people said they really appreciated things like this:

It's the best source for Raiders news and rugby league news in general.

The community. Where else would you wind up organising a group to view games in London or meet up to take over a Melbourne pub. Something to be proud of.

The Greenhouse's social media presence is outstanding.

Clearly, there are a lot of things that we are "doing right" and a lot of people think we've got things "spot on" already.

The Greenhouse is a hugely successful supporters site, and I don't know of another independent NRL club supporters site that has as big a following. We should all be proud of the site's achievements.

That said, the free comments revealed that there's some very differing views on aspects of how the site should be run, and suggested different ways in which we can improve.

On the one hand, there were comments to the effect that the site is not welcoming to new posters and there are too many personal remarks. Some went as far as to say that there is "bullying" and "online harassment" on the site. These comments asked why the moderation is not more strict. There were also comments that there is too much off topic discussion on the football boards.

On the other hand, there were comments to the effect that the moderation is too strict, and that more latitude should be given for banter and humour on the football boards. It was suggested that more recognition needs to be given to the fact that many posters become friends on line and off line and will banter with each other on the site.

The challenge for the Administrators and Moderators is to help facilitate a site that meets the needs of all the users and the forum community as a whole.

Of course, it's not just the job of the moderators to generate the sort of forum community that we want. It is up to all of us to generate a genuine sense of community and which is welcoming to new posters.

One thing that we cannot tolerate is bullying and harassment and we will act whenever we see it.

This is a difficult subject, and often people don't intend for their posting to be interpreted so negatively by others - they intend it as banter or humour. But banter is, by definition, good natured only. We need to remember how others might receive comments and how they might feel.

If people feel they are being bullied or harassed, and we have not acted, please use the report function or PM a moderator. We cannot have this sort of behaviour on the site.

The other thing we need to do is ensure that there's an appropriate focus on footy discussion on the football boards, while recognising that things will go off topic and people will want to joke around.

It's a difficult balance to get right.

We ask posters to do a bit of self regulation, and recognise that we do have boards for social interaction alone in The Greenroom boards - and always have done. We also ask that when the moderators shift posts to The Greenroom boards, posters recognise that is being done in the interests of the whole forum community.

And we ask that posters recognise that it is a forum, it's not just a news aggregator, and that there will be conversation that goes off topic, and will involve genuinely good natured banter.

Going forward, we ask posters to give more recognition to the needs of others in the forum community and behave accordingly.

There have been complaints in the feedback that the moderators don't always follow the guidelines themselves. None of the moderators are perfect. Remember they're just fellow Raiders fans and they're trying to do their best for the forum community. Remember they're allowed to have opinions too.

But if moderators make mistakes we try our best to fix things. If you feel there's a problem... and you have a problem with one moderator, send a PM to another. But please do it through PM or use the report function. There's nothing more boring than constant posting about the moderation.

To some more specific results and suggestions...

Some of the most valued features of the site included: rugby league discussion in general, game day updates, and some of the features written just for the site, such as the weekly match preview, Through green eyes and Matt's Match-ups.

We'd like to have more people put their hand up to write original material for the site, especially after we lost "The Hooter" column this year. If you're interested in writing a footy related column for 2017, please send a moderator a PM.

The Tipping Competition is one of the least valued features of the site... and if we continue in 2017, it will likely only involve the prizes offered by the provider. We'd be interested in any specific reactions on this point.

The #WearGreen and #FromAllAngles competitions continue to be very popular on Instagram in particular, as well as Twitter and Facebook. We will be thinking about the structure of the prizes we offer in 2017. For example, we are considering merging the competitions, and offering a prize after every home match.

There was a comment that we share too many photos that are entered in those competitions on Instagram. That's something we will think about, but often our followers on Instagram are just wanting us to give their pic a share. It is something they value and it is a great way of engaging our followers. Our aim with the Instagram feed is to show the game and the Raiders from the fans' perspective - and sharing our followers' pics is consistent with that, as well.

There was also a comment that prizes in these competitions should only be based on the number of likes that the photo receives. This is not really practical, except in deciding the pics of the year. The reason is that the number of likes a pic receives is often very dependent on the time that the pic is shared, and whether we are sharing a lot of pics at one time... or a few. So, for example, a pic shared by itself at 7pm receives more likes than a dozen pics shared during a match. We cannot share all posts on Facebook either... as there are simply too many and they would simply not be served to to the news feeds of our followers by Facebook. For the finals we can give everyone an equal opportunity to be "liked" on both Facebook and Instagram, by posting just two images at around the same time each evening.

There was also a question about us missing one poster's photo entries. If we're to see them and share them, they need to be publicly posted (we can't see pics on a private account)... and they need to use the appropriate hashtag, giving us permission to share the pic.

There were a number of suggestions about how to organise threads and help search content.

One suggestion was to have a "news feed" thread. The difficulty with this is that we are a forum, and a lot of the discussion is generated by what's in the news. Practically we cannot post the news twice... in a relevant thread and a news feed thread. There was a suggestion we somehow "mark" the news report posts... but this isn't a feature offered by the software. Our suggestion for those wanting "just the news" is to follow one of our Twitter accounts, such as @NRLRaidersNews, or the NRL Raiders News Facebook page. These platforms provide a simple news feed.

Some people suggested that the search function on the board is not effective. We're afraid there's not much we can do about the software. But Tapatalk's notifications function may be able to help. It can be set so you receive notifications, for example, of responses to your posts.

There was a suggestion that we should separate the Game Day discussion from the Post Match discussion. This is how it used to be... and people complained there were too many threads for each match. Happy to have any further comment on this idea! There was also a suggestion we have a "player specific thread" for every player. We think that would create too many threads, which would get "lost" over time, but we will undertake to merge duplicate threads as much as possible.

There were also suggestions we have a Game Day thread that automatically refreshes. Again, the software doesn't allow that. Tapatalk was offering a "chat room" feature, but unfortunately that was mis-used, it couldn't be moderated and diverted traffic from the site.

There was a suggestion that we have a separate thread for Mounties matches. Unfortunately, this isn't really possible, as our coverage variously depends on whether we can have someone live at the match, watch TV coverage, listen to on line radio coverage, or just follow Twitter updates. If we had a separate thread for every match, some threads would have little content when we are dependent on Twitter updates.

There was a comment to the effect that some people find it difficult to post news stories and images on the site. We have included some "how to" guidance on the "Greenhouse Issues" board for both activities. Tapatalk makes posting images quite easy.

Some people asked for a podcast or video reviews of the matches or the week's issues... and a link to The Green Machine podcast. So for those who have missed it... The Green Machine podcast was started up this year, and The Greenhouse decided to help out and sponsor it. And we do have a thread with a link to every new episode. Mike and Mike do a great job with their podcast!

We are considering how we do more video in 2017... and using Facebook live to do it. We are already posting more video via Instagram "stories". One idea is to do a quick video review at the gates of the ground, and involving people who are walking out. Would anyone be interested in helping out with that? Or do you have other ideas?

If we missed your suggestion, or you'd like to make any further comments or pose further questions, please let us know.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote: We'd like to have more people put their hand up to write original material for the site, especially after we lost "The Hooter" column this year. If you're interested in writing a footy related column for 2017, please send a moderator a PM.
Oh boy...popcorn.gif
greeneyed wrote: The Tipping Competition is one of the least valued features of the site... and if we continue in 2017, it will likely only involve the prizes offered by the provider. We'd be interested in any specific reactions on this point.
As someone who regularly loses interest in all tipping comps by rd 7 after I've forgotten to tip two weeks straight... meh.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'm happy to write original content. Let me know if you'd like me to do that, GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:I'm happy to write original content. Let me know if you'd like me to do that, GE
*Must have basic knowledge of English grammar and syntax

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

How about **** off, **** face?
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

I'll allow it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote:I'm happy to write original content. Let me know if you'd like me to do that, GE
Send us a PM and let us know what you have in mind.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I... is this a joke?
Are you **** with me?

If you're **** with me, it's working.
I've been writing a piece for nigh on 18 months you ungrateful ****!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Oh no, I'm very grateful for "Pigman's right...". But unfortunately we cannot publicise it as a feature given the swearing and the nature of some comments. I had thought you were proposing something different.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

gergreg wrote:
Your head must be quite sore now, mate.

Anyway, good attempt at seeking to remedy what really is one of the most frustrating things about this site.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Professor wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Anyway, good attempt at seeking to remedy what really is one of the most frustrating things about this site.
Oh no, one of the most frustrating things about the site is the NSW supporters making comments about Origin in every thread, bringing up "that's in Queensland" over and over in every thread, NSW supporters claiming the referees cost them the match and series every year for about the last decade, and making biased comments in the Origin game day thread. How dare they make comments which support their team!
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

greeneyed wrote:
Professor wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Oh no, one of the most frustrating things about the site is the NSW supporters making comments about Origin in every thread, bringing up "that's in Queensland" over and over in every thread, NSW supporters claiming the referees cost them the match and series every year for about the last decade, and making biased comments in the Origin game day thread. How dare they make comments which support their team!
GE, stop deflecting onto others. Gerg is not the first person to have brought your behaviour into question. In fact, it would be close to a unanimous viewpoint that your behaviour is deplorable during said period.

You want to facilitate positive change for this site through formal avenues such as feedback surveys? Perhaps take on board even the issues which are raised about you personally.

Me? Well I would say I fit into the category of engaging in the "that's in qld" joke, so I tell you what, since it's the most annoying thing about this site for you, I'll put my hand up and cease from saying it.

Ownership - see how hard it is, GE? It's high time you took some in this regard because your behaviour during origin is very unbecoming for a bloke who provides so much in other respects for the Raiders' community.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Professor, I've heard the comments and, I was incredibly careful this year to be unbiased in the game day commentary - threw it over to someone else in one game this year or last, as I recall. I was incredibly careful not to bring it into other threads.

So no one noticed. And NSW fans are doing what I'm being criticised for, with no one remarking on it. And I still get the same comments. I'm an administrator of the site, and I understand I'm held to account on everything I do. But doesn't seem to matter what I do on this point.
simo
Ricky Stuart

We'd like your feedback on The Greenhouse 2016

Post by simo »

Wowee. I wouldnt bother reviewing that one ge, its plumb af
Dont delete this GE
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

WOWEEE some over-reactions here. I'm off for a walk in the sunshine.

But before I go, my feedback ... a certain administrator (lets just call him TR for discussion purposes only) ranks No.1 in the hypocrisy stakes. But that's just my view (actually it's the view of many others who breath on a screen while posting in this forum). Personally I'd sack him from the position he holds. Then when he reacts like he normally does it will be pretty easy to ban the ****. I mean who sets up a section called the Trolls Cavern ... geeeesh. If no one has the balls to do it, let me press the button.

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by Raidersfan on October 25, 2016, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well I told myself I wouldn't post in this absolutely ridiculous thread, however I must say I find absolutely no problem with GE's behaviour at Origin time.

For me, it's the likes of Zaius and Manbush who drag that **** into every single thread and carry on well after the Origin period that annoy me. The fact that people were cheering ***** like the Sharks and Gallen for the grand final and openly wanting to sign Greg Bird just as a means to troll Queensland supporters three months after Origin has finished is pretty disappointing really.

You'll never see Queensland supporters cheering for the Broncos and the likes of Sam Thaiday in a grand final just to troll.

Keep up the good work, GE.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^
Ditto Nickman
I don't post facts
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

On page 1 or 2 of the Origin 3 thread you accuse NSW of cheating by naming Ennis. I don't know what the background of the comments or the specifics of what transpired are but for the head administrator of a rugby league website to engage let alone initiate that sort of language is unprofessional and sets the benchmark for behaviour and year upon year you set the bar pretty **** low.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
hahahahah gerg ... get a life mate ... it's footy banter ... if you dont like it go to the Wiggles website lol

So what effort do you put in to have got this site up and running and now being the best Raiders supporters forum ??
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha GE says a lot of things clearly tongue in cheek around Origin time, if you butthurt NSW fans can't handle it then get out of the kitchen!

GE has been relentlessly trolled by more than several users about Gallen winning the grand final and the Raiders signing Greg Bird for the last two months now and he's never once cracked up over it!!
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

The Nickman wrote:Hahaha GE says a lot of things clearly tongue in cheek around Origin time, if you butthurt NSW fans can't handle it then get out of the kitchen!

GE has been relentlessly trolled by more than several users about Gallen winning the grand final and the Raiders signing Greg Bird for the last two months now and he's never once cracked up over it!!
I've not frequented this place much in recent times, so I've no idea what's gone on regarding Gallen. But that's a separate issue and is besides the point. If you or GE want to raise it as a stand alone issue with view of remedying it, perhaps you should.

The point remains that GE's behaviour during soo period is childish, to say the least, no matter how much you and he would like to say to the contrary.

Anyway, looks like things will remain the same and those like gerg and I who've had a gutful of GE will remain MIA during the period, which I wouldn't have thought would be the objective of the owners and operators of this site.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raidersfan wrote:^^^
hahahahah gerg ... get a life mate ... it's footy banter ... if you dont like it go to the Wiggles website lol

So what effort do you put in to have got this site up and running and now being the best Raiders supporters forum ??
I've been a member of this site for quite a few years and in that time I've never received a warning and never been banned for being an imbecile. I do my best to avoid engaging in petty Bull and I always try to engage in rugby league discussion. This thread specifically asked for feedback on how the forum could be run better and I provided my feedback. That feedback has absolutely nothing to do with you so mind your own business.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raidersfan wrote:^^^

You, quite frankly is what's wrong with this site..
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The biggest issue ive found with the derailing of threads is that its acceptable to ge when its him, or one of his select few favourites who do it (and do it repeatedly) yet theres a fensomesque tip sheet where other posters cant post anything without it being moved.
Anyone with a sense of humour thats not in line with a 1950's silent movie is seen as too rude or crass and we are left with boring, stale threads without personality, chock full of sharks hate and tilse love
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote:On page 1 or 2 of the Origin 3 thread you accuse NSW of cheating by naming Ennis. I don't know what the background of the comments or the specifics of what transpired are but for the head administrator of a rugby league website to engage let alone initiate that sort of language is unprofessional and sets the benchmark for behaviour and year upon year you set the bar pretty **** low.
I've gone back to read those pages... can't see anything to that effect.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^Simo
I think I'm on that tip sheet but meh I quite frankly couldn't give a ****
Last edited by Raidersfan on October 25, 2016, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
tw (lc on purpose) what can I say ..

bahahanananabahaha .. go **** youself dude
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^ gergo what can I say ..

oh don't be a meany bahahaha
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To be honest, I don't think some NSW supporters are going to be happy until all voices supporting Queensland get silenced on the site.

But how's this for a solution... unless it's a thread or post about the Raiders being selected for rep teams... all Origin discussion will go (and be moved) into the designated Origin threads. You can expect NSW and Queensland supporters will be posting in support of those teams in those threads. If you don't want to read that, you can avoid those threads. I will start the 2017 Origin thread right now.

Re the way I post: I understand people expect a certain sort of behaviour from an Administrator of the site... but I am just a fan too, and I reckon I should be allowed to have an opinion... and a little bit of fun as well... once the inevitable Queensland victory comes. :)