All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

ultramikele
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Paul Vaughan signs with the Dragons

Post by ultramikele »

Canberra Raiders Paul Vaughan set to sign with St George Illawarra Dragons

THE DRAGONS look to have secured the services of bustling Raiders forward Paul Vaughan.

The hard-working forward is under contract for the 2017 season but the Raiders will not stand in his way of pursuing an opportunity with the Dragons.

The deal is very close to being done with both parties just looking to finalise a few details. The move is expected to be announced in the coming days.

Read more: http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/vaughan-set-sign-dragons/

Horrible if true.
edwahu

Re: Paul Vaughan set to sign with the dragons

Post by edwahu »

If I was a Raider I think the last place I would go is the Dragons. The grass is not greener in Kogarah.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hard to tell in the dark
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Would be sad if true, given some of his performances in his time here and the promise he's shown. Never like losing local Canberra juniors.

In saying that, IMO it's probably for the best in terms of the team as a unit and professionalism wise. Ricky is a tough, old school bastard and he has to be strong with this group. Vaughany will probably fit in well with ol' Duges and Thommo, unfortunately. As edwahu has said though, Dragons isn't the place you'd wanna go to right now.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I cannot understand why Paul Vaughan would so willingly leave the Raiders just because he could not crack first grade for the whole year.
Clay Priest might have usurped him in the starting lineup but the guy is already 27 and who knows if this just happens to be his best year of footy ever. Priest could well stink it up next year in which case Vaughan is straight back in. Vaughan is only 25 and a consistent performer. He would still get a number of games in the NRL next year even if all other things remain the same. Vaughan is basically 18th man here so he would be first in for any forward who gets injured.

I can only think that there is an attitude problem or some fallout with the coach that has driven it. The guy is a Belco boy so it would be awful if he left.

Oh well I suppose that's what happens to Raiders who can't make the grade, they all end up with the Dragons or Roosters. I see Carney is on their radar as well.

Maybe the Raiders should buy the Dragons and make them our NSW cup team, seems most of our cast-offs end up there.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dugan, carney and vaughan, party on bill party on ted excellent
Edrick The Entertainer
Ferret86
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Was Fensom, now Bateman in the new era

Post by Ferret86 »

Sad to see him go but sadly this is the price of success. You can't keep them all and to be honest if you asked me whether we wanted to keep two out of Boyd, Paulo and Vaughan then I would keep Boyd and Paulo every day of the week. We can't have all three so sad to see him go. I interviewed him once and he's a very charming and well spoken young bloke. A loss to the club, but onwards and upwards.
Founder of http://www.nrlceo.com and run the fantasy rugby league game on http://www.thebench.com.au
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rumours of off the field issues aside
There is every chance Stuart has not been playing him because he wants to force him out for salary cap reasons
He's paying Tarps and Junior a lot of money, Boyd is on the up too

I don't want to see Vaughan go because i think at his best he is still our best front rower. But whilst I think we'd regret it because he might go and play SOO footy but at least it will be lessened by the fact our front row is excellent and deep

Stuart can do as he pleases with this one, I'm not wild about losing Vaughan but the coach has earned the right to do it his way
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Sad to see him go but I have total faith in Ricky
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

The Dragons must shelling out a **** to get him. I mean, why would anyone willingly go to the Dragons? Absolute joke of a club. Probably the most poorly managed club in the NRL.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Welcome to wollongong vaughany!!! Come for the surf stay for the bomb
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The article said 600k. Good luck to him if he can get that upgrade. It must be close as there were some decent clubs supposed to be after him.

It will be a bit sad that the Dragons will have more ACT juniors in their side than us.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Paul Vaughan set to sign with the Dragons

Post by -PJ- »

Paul Kent said on NRL360 last night this WILL happen....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It makes me really sad. I really like him, local junior. I think he's taking up too much of the salary cap in the coach's view, and as Nick said, you've got to go with his call. I suspect there's also an issue of culture fit. It still makes me sad.
ultramikele
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by ultramikele »

I hope we sign a replacement
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

****. Is there a reason why all of our players end up at St Merge?
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Sad but instead of challenging himself, he looks for an easy way out!!!! Good luck Paul Vaughn.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

edwahu wrote:The article said 600k. Good luck to him if he can get that upgrade. It must be close as there were some decent clubs supposed to be after him.

It will be a bit sad that the Dragons will have more ACT juniors in their side than us.
yeah i dont think hed go there for a pie and EDIT coke
Dont delete this GE
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Bit a bad way to ruin a career but if lining up for first grade isn't his thing then I can understand it. He certainly has the skill and ability to play first grade.
Papa Doc
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Papa Doc »

If this means we have room to bring Luciano Leilua down to Canberra then I can live with it.

Would hate to think we are letting him go a year early without getting anything in return though.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Papa Doc wrote:If this means we have room to bring Luciano Leilua down to Canberra then I can live with it.
That is a very good point.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

Never thought I would post this about Paul Vaughan and may well get pasted for it... but

The last two games he has come back into the side in place of Priest I can't say he has stamped his intentions to reclaim the spot for good on the games. In fact I would go so far as saying I think the side seems better placed with Priest in the side both in attack and defense. There are probably a couple of glaring exceptions, but the effort Priest puts in and makes good metres regularly after contact and puts on some punishing hits just seem more consistent overall.

I have loved Vaughny and his efforts since his debut but something seems to have dropped off and it stood out in his games since getting another opportunity.

Still sad to see him leave if he does, because like many others I think at his best he is a walk up starter in our squad.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Papa Doc wrote:If this means we have room to bring Luciano Leilua down to Canberra then I can live with it.

Would hate to think we are letting him go a year early without getting anything in return though.
Leilua looked very fat when I watched under 20s on the weekend.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

edwahu wrote:

so did bj when we jagged him from the knights
Dont delete this GE
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

simo wrote:
edwahu wrote:

It's mammas apple pie.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

simo wrote:
edwahu wrote:

He was bordering on George Rose fat.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

simo wrote:
edwahu wrote:

A two-dads off season and hell be looking sweet.
Papa Doc
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Papa Doc »

simo wrote:
edwahu wrote:

Shannon Boyd was carrying a few extra kgs at 20 as well...
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Was Vaughan on an incentive contract that was triggered when he played a certain amount of fg.
Might explain why he only got the ca up through injury
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

This is te soften up article before the announcement article, which conveniently came out after the team lost its final.

I was still saying to mates at the start of the year that Vaughan was Origin material and that he'd probably have already played it if he was at the Dogs. But now I wonder. Hard to judge considering his injuries and irregular call-ups but he hasn't looked anywhere near that in the latter half of this year and I just can't see him doing any better at the Dragons. Hope I'm wrong (for his sake) but they aren't the type of team right now to make a player look better.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

One of the best add placements ever :lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Anyone else pumped to see how paulo shapes up after a 2dads pre season?
Dont delete this GE
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Luciano needs to do BJ's fat camp diet twice to even get close to being in shape.
Last edited by Ruben Daley on September 27, 2016, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Good luck to him. If he decides to knuckle down and concentrate on his football he can still have a good career.

Young Leilua recently re-signed so I doubt we'll be seeing him. If we could get him as a swap deal I would definitely take him on though. A solid pre-season and commitment off the field and Luciano could be a super star. The kid is a monster.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote:Rumours of off the field issues aside
There is every chance Stuart has not been playing him because he wants to force him out for salary cap reasons
He's paying Tarps and Junior a lot of money, Boyd is on the up too

I don't want to see Vaughan go because i think at his best he is still our best front rower. But whilst I think we'd regret it because he might go and play SOO footy but at least it will be lessened by the fact our front row is excellent and deep

Stuart can do as he pleases with this one, I'm not wild about losing Vaughan but the coach has earned the right to do it his way
Yea I think this theory makes a lot of sense, we've signed a lot of players over the last 24 months and a lot of those and others already in the squad have rightfully earned upgrades, we must be feeling the squeeze and While Vaughan hasn't been horrible by any stretch he certainly hasnt been playing anywhere near his potential or at the level he was playing at when he signed his last deal, I remember Stuart waxing lyrical about Vaughan in his first year or two as coach so a salary cap decision or attitude problem are the only reasons that make sense and TBH I can understand Stuart making a move on both those scenarios as much as I rate Vaughan and want him to stay