Storm 13+
No votes

Total votes: 18

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: 2016 Finals Wk 3 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by raiderskater »

^Yeah, I yelled "because you're grubby *****!" at the TV.

Delighted to hear we're picking up bandwagoners from other clubs though.

Ergh, Benji is being a suckup, what's the go there?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Walt Flanigan wrote:Gotta have a bit of a laugh at Michael Ennis on 360 wondering why people suddenly don't want the Sharks to win.
Good on Kent for pulling no punches. I also lol'd that they quizzed Benji about his rookie replacement.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Crawley was saying last night that the telegraph did a poll that had most fans wanting the raiders to win it and very little support for the Sharks. It's probably because they carry on like wankers all the time and play some of the most dour boring football you've ever seen!
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

pickles wrote:Crawley was saying last night that the telegraph did a poll that had most fans wanting the raiders to win it and very little support for the Sharks. It's probably because they carry on like wankers all the time and play some of the most dour boring football you've ever seen!
I prefer the Storm and Broncos over them. That's how much they disgust me.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Ouch! At least you can respect the storm. They are good at what they do.

Can't stand the donkeys but I hate them because they are over entitled wankers who get away with salary cap murder. I hate the Sharks because they are dirty ***** both on and off the field not to mention systematic drug cheats. I hope they never win anything!
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Our past 2 games Whitehead has been a real liability... with his dumb penalties, drop balls and bad reads in defence. He really owes us a big game this week against the storm :cmon
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

pickles wrote:Ouch! At least you can respect the storm. They are good at what they do.

Can't stand the donkeys but I hate them because they are over entitled wankers who get away with salary cap murder. I hate the Sharks because they are dirty **** both on and off the field not to mention systematic drug cheats. I hope they never win anything!
I thought about this earlier today. Both of them are cheats, which cancels eachother out.
But then, when you look at each individual player on the teams, the Sharks have a lot more grubs and thugs than the Broncos.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Storm vs Sharks is a gf I couldn't give a **** about
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
pickles wrote:Ouch! At least you can respect the storm. They are good at what they do.

Can't stand the donkeys but I hate them because they are over entitled wankers who get away with salary cap murder. I hate the Sharks because they are dirty **** both on and off the field not to mention systematic drug cheats. I hope they never win anything!
I thought about this earlier today. Both of them are cheats, which cancels eachother out.
But then, when you look at each individual player on the teams, the Sharks have a lot more grubs and thugs than the Broncos.
Yeah, but a lot fewer heads.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So far the Sharks only silver ware is the 1979 Amco Cup. It was a mid-week knock out comp. Backrower Kurt Sorensen was on fire that year. His nephew Scott now plays for Mounties. Go Mounties.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL: The big Cowra kid Shannon Boyd steeling Canberra Raiders NRL finals charge

Canberra Raiders front-rower Shannon Boyd admits he wasn't far off leaving behind his NRL dream to go back to Cowra and live on the family farm.

"When I was younger I wasn't as big, but when I found out I liked food a bit I started growing a bit," Boyd said.

"Poor old Woody [Raiders rehabilitation and nutrition coach Leigh Woodbridge] has had me for the last four or five years trying to get me nice and lean. Still got a long way to go but getting there slowly."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... rkk5h.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders name unchanged team to face Melbourne Storm in NRL preliminary final

The Melbourne Storm might be packed with "big-game players", but Canberra Raiders X-factor Blake Austin "can't wait to get down there and test" himself against the minor premiers.

"To now head to Melbourne with an unchanged team will be unreal. We're all well aware what the task is ahead, it's going to be a big challenge," he said. "They've got big-game players that have performed in games like this for many years. We just can't wait to get down there and test ourselves, that's the most exciting thing for us."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... rkciw.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders legend Mal Meninga says Cameron Smith and Josh Hodgson are the best hookers in the world

Canberra Raiders legend Mal Meninga says Cameron Smith is the best hooker in the world, but the man who was a joint-winner of the medal bearing Meninga's name is closing fast.

"I think Josh Hodgson is the second best hooker in the world and Josh Papalii is one of our prime rugby league players in Australia, which is no mean feat because to make the Australian side is a pretty tough gig," Meninga said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... rk4j8.html
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

pickles wrote:Crawley was saying last night that the telegraph did a poll that had most fans wanting the raiders to win it and very little support for the Sharks. It's probably because they carry on like wankers all the time and play some of the most dour boring football you've ever seen!
There is nothing endearing about their current team (and coach). Sharks could have been a good news story this year......but no.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Does the fact the Cowboys found it hard down there a couple of weeks ago really matter? I feel confident.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

On a slightly more positive note am I right in thinking that Croker is on 296 points for the season? Would love to see him bring up 300 with a try early in the game.

He's had such a great season and I think being the captain has improved his game. That said he has improved year on year since coming into the top grade and is a champion off the field as well.

The footage of him giving his boots to a young kid after the game last week was just fantastic. He's the sort of captain that makes fans want to jump on our bandwagon!
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

"Driving his ute around what is regarded as a big country town in Canberra has been a lot easier on Boyd than if he had headed to the big smoke".

And it is one big loud ute

EDIT

Mod request: No trolling in the footy forums please.
I don't post facts
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Raiders heading to Mexico on Wednesday night.
I don't post facts
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Do we take anything out of the storm struggling with a week off in finals? Winning one from four or something home prelims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL finals: UK sledges didn’t rattle Hodgson’s belief Canberra Raiders held a bright future

Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson has revealed he was ridiculed for leaving England for Canberra, such was the reputation of the club outside Australia two seasons ago.

"Not only had the team not been going great but the place got bagged and everything," Hodgson said. "I didn't really get that when I got here. I thought this is a great place. The sun was shining and that's all I needed ... But people did say, 'Why Canberra?'. That was the main question I got. I just said, why not?

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... rko9z.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I think there is a bit behind the week off being a disadvantage

Storm lost last year after the week off, Penrith in 2014, Souths in 2013,
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

pickles wrote:On a slightly more positive note am I right in thinking that Croker is on 296 points for the season? Would love to see him bring up 300 with a try early in the game.

He's had such a great season and I think being the captain has improved his game. That said he has improved year on year since coming into the top grade and is a champion off the field as well.

The footage of him giving his boots to a young kid after the game last week was just fantastic. He's the sort of captain that makes fans want to jump on our bandwagon!
Yep, 296. I was really hoping he'd get there last weekend, since it would have been quite magic for him to do so at home, but I just hope it is properly acknowledged when he does.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

greeneyed wrote:NRL finals: UK sledges didn’t rattle Hodgson’s belief Canberra Raiders held a bright future

Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson has revealed he was ridiculed for leaving England for Canberra, such was the reputation of the club outside Australia two seasons ago.

"Not only had the team not been going great but the place got bagged and everything," Hodgson said. "I didn't really get that when I got here. I thought this is a great place. The sun was shining and that's all I needed ... But people did say, 'Why Canberra?'. That was the main question I got. I just said, why not?

Not sure whether I've expressed how much I like Hodgo.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Sezer eyes blue Origin jersey

Of the hundreds of thousands of pairs of eyes which will be on Aidan Sezer on Saturday night, perhaps the most interested will be Laurie Daley.

"I've think I've played enough first grade for people to know what I can do. I think the self-satisfaction that I've put in a good performance for the boys who I train beside, that's probably the biggest thing, not to prove anything to anyone else."

Read more: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016 ... gin-jersey

Storm’s Cheyse Blair on how he bounced back from humiliating Parramatta exit at hands of Stuart: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 4bc60a5bb8
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Jordan Rapana keen to face mate Proctor in NRL

Jordan Rapana and Kevin Proctor grew up on the Gold Coast, playing much of their junior football together, and have remained close mates ever since.

"I sent him a message the other day and told him 'I might try to ask (coach) Ricky (Stuart) if I can play left side so I can take your head off' - just to get that one shot on him," Rapana laughed.

"Nah, he's definitely one of my best mates. No doubt, I'll go see him when we get down there and go catch up for coffees."

Read more: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016 ... roctor-nrl

Storm won’t get ambushed by Raiders’ tactics in NRL preliminary final: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/t ... 28b465e3b7

How NRL’s ‘have nots’ Canberra, Gold Coast and Cronulla knocked off glamour clubs:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 51c1a29c5b
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

So pumped about this! Driving down on Friday evening to soak it all up.

I'm sure the coaching staff have formulated a plan of attack and as long as we execute it well, I think we can win this game.

It should be similar to how Brisbane ambushed them in round 25. Go wide early and often, and really show some mongrel. This Storm team certainly has SOME weaknesses that I hope we can exploit.

But of course, as usual, it all comes down to defence. We simply have to defend like we did against them in round 23, where they didn't really look like scoring. I also got flashes of that type of defence on Saturday night, where until Penrith got over the line through some off the cuff play, they really didn't look like they had any real idea about how to crack us. Let's replicate that.

The other x-factor in this match is Cronk's 300th. We all know that Melbourne make a big deal of these milestone games, all the Storm players are wearing Cronk 300 training shirts and they always seem to lift, but how much more do you lift for a preliminary final? Hopefully it is a distraction and a weight on their shoulders and our 'Raiders footy' can prevail.

Come on lads, let's do this!!!!!
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
greeneyed
Don Furner

2016 Finals Wk 3 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart declares his Canberra Raiders players can win the NRL grand final

CANBERRA coach Ricky Stuart has made a stunning declaration his Raiders will dominate their final two games this season and win the NRL grand final.

“I thought it was a private function but I won’t be backing down today,” Stuart said.

“We have the team to win the grand final and I have told the players that. I want the players to know my thoughts and I won’t be shying away from them. I believe in my comments and my players.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 0eaf800e08

Ricky Stuart right to declare his belief that Canberra can win the NRL premiership: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6a6ad2ded1

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Finals: Blake Austin boosts Canberra Raiders with Storm brewing

Give the bloke a hand. "Looks horrible," Canberra’s five-eighth said of a hand that really did look horrible after training yesterday.

“But it’s settled down a bit. It pulled up a little bit sore after the weekend but I was pretty relieved I was able to get through. It's going to allow me to go to Melbourne without any reservations about letting anyone down. I can solely focus on my football. That was the biggest worry I had."

Read more: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/n ... ccac645811
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Finals: Raiders rake Josh Hodgson set for Storm’s Cameron Smith

Canberra pivot Blake Austin has set the scene for the match-shaping hooking duel between Josh Hodgson and Melbourne’s Cam Smith by declaring the Raiders’ influential English rake has become the equal of Australia’s scheming captain.

Asked if he would swap Hodgson for Smith or any other hooker in the competition on current form, Austin told The Australian: “Without a doubt, no. That’s no disrespect to Cam Smith or anyone else, but Josh has just been phenomenal all year.

Read more: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/n ... dc3747f327
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote:NRL finals: UK sledges didn’t rattle Hodgson’s belief Canberra Raiders held a bright future

Hodgo is such a breath of fresh air. With that attitude no wonder the Raiders are now a 'tough to beat' side. Both he and Papa joint winners of the Mal Medal. A team full of players to be proud of supporting. Full credit to Sticky and DFJ for this culture shift in removing the 'talented but wayward' types as mentioned in the Fox Sports report on page 5 of this topic. Very tough assignment this week but every reason to go into the match with confidence. Loved Hodgo's comment about not thinking about the individual clash with Smith, just getting his job done for the team. Exactly the focus the side needs - and a good bloke as well. :thumbsup
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

pickles wrote:On a slightly more positive note am I right in thinking that Croker is on 296 points for the season? Would love to see him bring up 300 with a try early in the game.

Yep. Also 10 away from scoring more points than the Knights this season
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

That's an amazing effort from croker. I mean he has had 3 extra games than the Knights donut isn't really a fair contest!

Where's Matt to tell us how many players have achieved this in history? You wouldn't think it would be that many!
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

'I might try to ask Ricky if I can play left side so I can take your head off'
:lol:
Last edited by Walt Flanigan on September 21, 2016, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

Remember when we all hoped that Hodgson might be a solid hooker and maybe if we were lucky would be in the upper half of hookers in the game... To land one of the best hookers in the world right from under everyone's noses is unbelievable.

I was just re-reading some of the posts from 2014 when the talk started about signing him, gee we were a desperate bunch! To think that he's beaten the expectations of even the most optimistic posts. Wow.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote:That's an amazing effort from croker. I mean he has had 3 extra games than the Knights donut isn't really a fair contest!

Where's Matt to tell us how many players have achieved this in history? You wouldn't think it would be that many!
It certainly hasn't happened in the NRL era. Probably happened a few times in the early NSWRL days when a number of clubs used to get flogged on a regular basis.