Re: The Union Thread

Post by Professor »

Leather patchers are funny.

Right. Clear as mud, GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider 85 wrote:Leather patchers are funny.

Right. Clear as mud, GE.
I've added a picture.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raider 85 wrote:
julian87 wrote:And Australia took a shot at penalty goal, when down by 7 and 3 minutes to go

Hilarious
Oh, imagine my **** surprise.

I consider myself pretty patriotic and I cheer on just about any and all Australian teams except this one. I don't watch it and I don't care for it. I've even found myself today somewhat smug about us having being beaten by England.

Then I pop in here and I'm reminded why I hate this sport so god damn much!
I'm actually the same, somewhat.

Couldn't give a flying fig about the Wallabies.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

greeneyed wrote:

Right. Clear as mud, GE.
I've added a picture.
Think you were after patches. In which case, good chat, GE. They are very funny and absolutely deserve a mention in this thread.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Right. Clear as mud, GE.
I've added a picture.
Think you were after patches. In which case, good chat, GE. They are very funny and absolutely deserve a mention in this thread.
Rugby union fans are called leather patchers because of their tendency to wear tweed coats with leather patches. They're funny because they follow rugby union.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider 85 wrote:
julian87 wrote:And Australia took a shot at penalty goal, when down by 7 and 3 minutes to go

Hilarious
Oh, imagine my **** surprise.

I consider myself pretty patriotic and I cheer on just about any and all Australian teams except this one. I don't watch it and I don't care for it. I've even found myself today somewhat smug about us having being beaten by England.

Then I pop in here and I'm reminded why I hate this sport so god damn much!
It sucked.. I watched about 20 mins of it during ht in the afl

You made the right choice

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

greeneyed wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Right. Clear as mud, GE.
I've added a picture.
Rugby union fans are called leather patchers because of their tendency to wear tweed coats with leather patches. They're funny because they follow rugby union.
Right. There was definitely no danger of you being unambiguous earlier, was there :lol:

I've a different term for Union fans, but I'll keep it holstered.

I will say, not in any way, shape or form do I understand them. How they can continue to support a code in which penalty goals are first choice even when, such as last night there's 3 minutes to go and you're behind by 7, has me ****.

Society says union players are of a much smarter breed than, say league, but I've yet to see it be exhibited on the field.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Can't wait to see how Fitzy reports on this and somehow turns it into a rugby league bashing article.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Australia are really **** the bed against the Poms. They are trying to go for a try every penalty when they can't break their line. If they just went the goal they would be in front.

Fibbs passing out of the ruck has been nothing short of **** horrendous. Just take one out hits and ruck and maul over the line. Stop this passing out wide to score. It simply isn't working.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

8559 at the Brumbies v Highlanders finals match last night. 10 years ago this would have been a sell out. Worrying signs for the Brumbies
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:8559 at the Brumbies v Highlanders finals match last night. 10 years ago this would have been a sell out. Worrying signs for the Brumbies
Dreadful signs for the Brumbies

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's a bumper crowd tbh. Im stunned there is 8500 people who want to watch RU in the country, let alone just in the state
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I'm more scared that if we get a home final that's the kind of crowd that we'll get.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Considering the fact our game will be in September the weather is far far better

Last night stank, it was windy, raining sideways
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Notaroboticfish wrote:I'm more scared that if we get a home final that's the kind of crowd that we'll get.
A raiders home final will pull a big crowd
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:Considering the fact our game will be in September the weather is far far better

I get that, but fact is despite being one of the genuine premiership contenders for the past few seasons, they have really struggled with crowds. What was their average this year?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If you believe the announced figure, the raiders out drew them this weekend

That's pretty **** dreadful for the Brumbies
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Could have something to do with a Friday 6pm time slot.
And yet the NRL thinks it's a fantastic idea.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I really don't get it. In the early to mid 2000s they drew huge crowds. They haven't had a prolonged period of **** like the Raiders. The crowds seemed to have just dwindled for no apparent reason.
greeneyed
Don Furner

The Union Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:I really don't get it. In the early to mid 2000s they drew huge crowds. They haven't had a prolonged period of **** like the Raiders. The crowds seemed to have just dwindled for no apparent reason.
Because it's rugby union.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's not actually a useful answer. If it was purely that, they would never have gotten crowds in the first place
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
-TW- wrote:Considering the fact our game will be in September the weather is far far better

I get that, but fact is despite being one of the genuine premiership contenders for the past few seasons, they have really struggled with crowds. What was their average this year?
About 12k

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'd love to see 20k + at one of our regular season games

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's the advantage of having the rivalry vs the waratahs

a lot of people who don't really follow rugby because it was vs the tahs, and it was a really nice night
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Who was the 16k against?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Crusaders anzac day weekend
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I think if your team gets a home final you make the effort despite the conditions or time slot. I've been out to Bruce Stadium numerous times when the conditions have been just as bad, or worse, and i'd argue that 7pm on a Monday night is far more difficult than 6pm on a Friday night when half the Public Servants in this town stroll out at 4pm. Pathetic effort by the Brumbies faithful. The care factor is awfully low.

Plenty of Rugger fans out there that can still legitimately sell the Range Rover and advertise that it's never had wet feet :D
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

To be fair it was pretty awful on Friday night. I believe they had around 10K pre sold but the weather from 4.30 onward was terrible. The wind and rain were pretty full on at times. Not to say that should be a reason to stay away but in reality unless you are a committed fan most were not going out in that.

Combine that with the season they had with the whole Jones and property saga, they were always pushing up hill. That being said they should have gotten more out there as it was the last game for a number of their greats. But we all know Canberra is very fickle with a lot of things. Sports especially!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

The Union Thread

Post by Dr Zaius »

Statement regarding Christian Lealiifano

Following a brief illness, investigations have indicated that Christian Lealiifano has been diagnosed with Leukaemia and is currently in hospital for further management.

Brumbies interim Chief Executive, Phil Thomson, said it was too early at this stage to comment much further.

“At the moment it’s just a matter of ensuring Christian receives the best care and support he can at this time,” Thomson said.

“He is one of the most respected players within this group and this news has come as a huge shock to all of our players, coaches and staff.

“Everyone knows that Christian is an amazing young man, an important member of this team and of the Canberra community.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Christian and his family at this time.

“We ask that the Lealiifano family’s privacy is respected and no more comments will be made at this time.”

The Brumbies primary concern is for Christian’s health and any further updates on his progress will come via the club and with his personal approval.

Brumbies media
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Very sad news.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Wallabies, same crap different week.

2 games in NZ to go. Need to win both to win Bledisloe....

:lol:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'll go out on a limb and say that that is not going to happen.