The Travel Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by Thombre »

greeneyed wrote:Hbomb. Norway... Catch the train from Oslo across the mountains to he fjords on the other side of the country, get off and catch a ferry around that fjord, then the Bergen. Go to the glacier! You must go to Geirangerfjord. Stay in Geigranger or there's another nice town on the fjord too. It's incredibly beautiful.
Thanks ge might now have the time to do that in norway however, if it is as appealing as people say there could be a relocation in the future
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Hbomb. Norway... Catch the train from Oslo across the mountains to he fjords on the other side of the country, get off and catch a ferry around that fjord, then the Bergen. Go to the glacier! You must go to Geirangerfjord. Stay in Geigranger or there's another nice town on the fjord too. It's incredibly beautiful.
You've made up most of that!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote:
No, I have done the trip.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

On the isle of Skye for the Easter long weekend and my 10th anniversary with Mrs Archer (well, technically not Mrs yet :s). Any recommendations? Had awesome food and booze so far so I probably can't go wrong but if someone has a reccomndation ill definitely try it.

Also agree with that Norway reccomndation from GE. That whole county is so beautiful and I'm pretty sure I've done that simar trip and it was a winner
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Archer wrote:On the isle of Skye for the Easter long weekend and my 10th anniversary with Mrs Archer (well, technically not Mrs yet :s). Any recommendations? Had awesome food and booze so far so I probably can't go wrong but if someone has a reccomndation ill definitely try it.

Also agree with that Norway reccomndation from GE. That whole county is so beautiful and I'm pretty sure I've done that simar trip and it was a winner
Not on the Isle of Skye but if you get the chance, drive the road from Oban to Inverness via Fort William, it is spectacular and gives you a good look at the highlands and lochs all the way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Chicka's shoe wrote:
Archer wrote:On the isle of Skye for the Easter long weekend and my 10th anniversary with Mrs Archer (well, technically not Mrs yet :s). Any recommendations? Had awesome food and booze so far so I probably can't go wrong but if someone has a reccomndation ill definitely try it.

Not on the Isle of Skye but if you get the chance, drive the road from Oban to Inverness via Fort William, it is spectacular and gives you a good look at the highlands and lochs all the way.
That's a great drive.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:
reptar wrote:
No, I have done the trip.
It's true, GE won't drink any water unless it's from that glacier. The ice in his scotch also comes from there. Carved out by the purist Nordic virgins by pick axes made of whale tooth
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Cheers chicka and GE, not sure if I'll get the time but if so will look at doing that drive
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Archer wrote:Cheers chicka and GE, not sure if I'll get the time but if so will look at doing that drive
Enjoy yourselves, it is a pretty cool drive with lots of history on the way too.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

Hey guys heading out on friday for four weeks. Trying to find some foods to take for family that are aussie AF. Im thinking milo tim tams vegemite and caramello koalas.... any suggestions?
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Apple pasty.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

:lol:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hbomb wrote:Hey guys heading out on friday for four weeks. Trying to find some foods to take for family that are aussie AF. Im thinking milo tim tams vegemite and caramello koalas.... any suggestions?
Have a great trip champion
Edrick The Entertainer
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

thanks boney ily bae, let me know if youre heading to a game when i get back I'll make an effort to get there
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Raider Bell wrote:Apple pasty.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

On Sunday heading off on this travel itinerary for work. Melbourne - Singapore - London - Stockholm - Munich - Frankfurt - Seattle - San Francisco - Auckland and finally back to Brisbane. Actually staying in London, Stockholm, Munich and Seattle. Over 3 weeks. Fun times.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

What dates are you in stockholm reptar? I'm there I think on the 6th leaving on the 8th of may
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hbomb wrote:What dates are you in stockholm reptar? I'm there I think on the 6th leaving on the 8th of may
Was just there.

Start saving now.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

T_R wrote:
Hbomb wrote:What dates are you in stockholm reptar? I'm there I think on the 6th leaving on the 8th of may
Was just there.

Start saving now.
Haha i have heard :lol:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I arrive on the 8th and leave the 10th.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

Boourns. I am catching a ferry to Turku that afternoon so if you get in early and are keen for a drink let me know xoxo smoochies #weargreenscandiavieen
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hbomb wrote:Boourns. I am catching a ferry to Turku that afternoon so if you get in early and are keen for a drink let me know xoxo smoochies #weargreenscandiavieen
Is your bro still doing that dance?
Edrick The Entertainer
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

bonehead wrote:
Hbomb wrote:Boourns. I am catching a ferry to Turku that afternoon so if you get in early and are keen for a drink let me know xoxo smoochies #weargreenscandiavieen
Is your bro still doing that dance?
this one??? Because this is all I've done for the last week

Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

Just wanted to let you all know Finland Vappu is awesome. Kiitos
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hbomb wrote:Just wanted to let you all know Finland Vappu is awesome. Kiitos
Onya champion
Edrick The Entertainer
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Just got back from Berlin for a long weekend, loved the place. Hard to say what it was specifically about it though, I guess it just had a "good vibe" (sorry). Or maybe it was because it was one of those holidays where we had no plans and nothing set to see. Not sure, liked it enough to consider whether I want to move there though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Amazing city. A mix of western luxe and alternative. Green spaces and grungy. Liberal social attitudes as well.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Tough place to get your head around, at least on a short visit. I agree on the vibe, though

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I found Berlin to be oddly depressing as a city. The scars are all still so visible. I really enjoyed it there though
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bumping an old thread.

I'm going on holidays to Korea for a few months and the wife suggested we spend a week or so in Japan. T_R and others, what are some must see things in Japan, with wife and 2 children in tow. I'd really love to check out a bonsai garden and a Japanese style garden which from a quick google are easily accessible in Tokyo. Is there a Samurai museum? What else?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

gergreg wrote:Bumping an old thread.

I'm going on holidays to Korea for a few months and the wife suggested we spend a week or so in Japan. T_R and others, what are some must see things in Japan, with wife and 2 children in tow. I'd really love to check out a bonsai garden and a Japanese style garden which from a quick google are easily accessible in Tokyo. Is there a Samurai museum? What else?
I'd get yourself a rail pass. I went for 2 weeks and spent a week in Osaka and a week in Tokyo. Osaka's a cool city and also a short bullet train ride to Kyoto (lots of temples etc) and Hiroshima. We took the bullet train from Osaka to Tokyo (3 hours and can use your rail pass) so saved on flights.

Both cities are really well equiped with Trains (obviously). Both have a loop line that other lines feed on to. From memory on the tokyo loop line you can get to Shinjuku, Shibuya and Ginza (i think) that all have good shopping, you can also go to Akihabara which is toy and electronic central, kids will love it (i'm a big kid and i did!). I wasn't there for nearly enough time to see everything i wanted to, but yeah if i could give any advice i'd say to get a JRail pass (if its not too cost prohibitive) cos you'll be getting everywhere on a train.... Oh and Ramen! Definitely eat your weight in proper Ramen! that stuff is seriously awesome!

I'm trying to save to get back there with the wife and little one, i love the place. Enjoy mate, seriously jealous!
I found a moon rock in my nose....
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Awesome Gerg,

I'm in the middle of finishing off hotel bookings for my trip next month. Heading to Rome, Corfu, Copenhagen, Prague and Paris for 3 weeks. Around 5 days in each, 3 in Copenhagen.

Any suggestions for a first timer on what to do in each place?
We're checking off Vatican, Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum in Rome.
In Corfu I just want to lay on a beach eating Gyros. Maybe some kayaking, anything apart from that is a bonus.
No plans yet in Copenhagen.
Prague, I'm trying to convince Mrs Fui to help me recreate the opening scene in Mission Impossible. She's not that keen. Apart from that, take in the sights. Im reading about a Pilsner factory that's meant to be good.
Paris, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, the Arc
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Awesome Gerg,

I'm in the middle of finishing off hotel bookings for my trip next month. Heading to Rome, Corfu, Copenhagen, Prague and Paris for 3 weeks. Around 5 days in each, 3 in Copenhagen.

Any suggestions for a first timer on what to do in each place?
We're checking off Vatican, Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum in Rome.
In Corfu I just want to lay on a beach eating Gyros. Maybe some kayaking, anything apart from that is a bonus.
No plans yet in Copenhagen.
Prague, I'm trying to convince Mrs Fui to help me recreate the opening scene in Mission Impossible. She's not that keen. Apart from that, take in the sights. Im reading about a Pilsner factory that's meant to be good.
Paris, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, the Arc
Prague - Go Karting, Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock
Paris - Euro Disney (keep in mind the poltergeists in the Haunted house, C3PO etc. will all be speaking French)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:Bumping an old thread.

Nice one. I was actually in Korea and then Japan last week.

Tokyo is great, and it's worth a couple of days. Looking for the traditional sites there is a challenge, though - remember the place was fire bombed into oblivion in 1944/5, and there is virtually nothing standing from before that.

I lived in Tokyo for a few years, but when I go back with the kids now it tends to be for an event (we do the Tokyo 7s rugby each year, for example) more than for sight-seeing. I always struggle to find things for the kids to do, outside Disney and Disney Sea (out towards Urayasu, about 20 minutes from Tokyo Station). We end up just wandering around the various neighbourhoods, which is quite nice, but nothing that I'd really think of as a holiday.

If it were I, I'd spend two or three days in Tokyo, then bundle everyone into a car (rentals are dirt cheap, and for four people will save money compared to the rail pass) and head off down to the Izu Peninsula for a night at a traditional onsen (expensive, but it'll blow your mind). From there, I'd hook up towards Fuji and find a place around Yamanakako. From there, you could drive the old nakasendo route. I walked it years ago...500km through the mountains....completely amazing, and if you're looking for that traditional experience it blows Tokyo out of the water. Look at places like Kiso and Nagiso to get an idea of what I mean. You can crash at cheap guest houses in some of those villages that have quite honestly not changed in 400 years. From there you hook back up through Shizuoka to Tokyo and home.

Here's a great option in Izu that I used to stay at for long weekends - https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Re ... Chubu.html There are amazing baths there, including a cave in which I once had a slightly awkward conversation with a group of naked 17 year old school girls on a class trip. For the other nights, I've never really stayed in the same place more than once or twice. There are gaggles of options and you won't go too far wrong. Here is a nice option up the nakasendo - https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... Chubu.html

Take a camera. Some of these places are stunning.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

TR waltzes straight in and **** all over dibbers' rail pass suggestion... typical. I hate that guy.