2016 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Canterbury Bulldogs?

Raiders 13+
8%
Raiders 1-12
42%
Draw
8%
Bulldogs 1-12
17%
Bulldogs 13+
25%

Total votes: 12

nodrog
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: 2016 Rd 5 V Bulldogs: Game Day

Post by nodrog »

Best defensive game we've seen from the raiders in my memory. Line speed, commitment, first contact, wrestle, all of it was on point. I can't remember ever thinking that after a game. The kicking was fantastic, from Hodgo, Austin but especially from Sezer. All the outside backs stood up, especialy BJ who was in beast mode all night. I thought Tapine had his best game so far, looked the goods. Papalii was very strong tonight as well, and I nearly forgot that Wighton was probably our best in the first 20 minutes. If it weren't for a few silly errors the Raiders would have won by more.
aussie1st
David Furner

Post by aussie1st »

Scrappy second half but great effort keeping them to 2 tries.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Gorilla wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:
Archer wrote:So I'll definitely watch this game when I get home, but what do people make of the swap between Boyd and Vaughan? Didn't hear much but the stats suggest both were a little quiet. Can't be completely accurate though as you don't beat the dogs with a quiet pack so maybe they just had less involvement but higher quality?
I think it worked out well, it's probably how I would have had it at the start of the season as well. Boyd took a lot of tough hit ups.
I think it was more to do with Ricky trying to counter klemmer and kasiano coming off the bench
That's my take as well. I would have Boyd back into the starting side this week with a mission to run over the top of Paulo.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Raidersfan wrote:I think this is the first game where Stuart has had the full compliment ... the team he has built.

Well done Ricky. Others will continue to reminisce on the your past "failures".

Raiders fans have waited for a long time but tonight I'm sure is what we can expect of your reign as the Raiders coach.
When he was interviewed just before kick off, he was asked "back to Belmore, the dogs are going to have a lot of passion" to which he said, "we have the same passion". It was on display tonight.

Well done, Raiders. Well **** done!

Love me
always bleed green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by always bleed green »

The boys getting no love on monday night with Matty johns. But I suppose we are use to that. I just though maybe after a great win ....... But oh well. Imagine if the doggies won. They would still be talking about them
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

I thought joe Tapine had some strong carries tonight hopefully he can keep improving. So who comes in for sia now is it Barnett or bateman
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Holy ****, are, are we good?
:lol: :lol:
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
green_queenslander
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: mal meninga

Post by green_queenslander »

Who came off for baptiste?
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Gorilla wrote:I thought joe Tapine had some strong carries tonight hopefully he can keep improving. So who comes in for sia now is it Barnett or bateman
First thought was Barnett but I guess Bateman was 18th man and Sticky seems to rate him more.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider 85 wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:I think this is the first game where Stuart has had the full compliment ... the team he has built.

Raiders fans have waited for a long time but tonight I'm sure is what we can expect of your reign as the Raiders coach.
When he was interviewed just before kick off, he was asked "back to Belmore, the dogs are going to have a lot of passion" to which he said, "we have the same passion". It was on display tonight.

Love me
:? :lol:
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Matt wrote:
Archer wrote:That's on you blokes for knocking them whenever they take the 2 :P
When they should take it they dont. When they shouldnt, they do.
One day they might get it right :)
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Gorilla
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Gorilla »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Gorilla wrote:I thought joe Tapine had some strong carries tonight hopefully he can keep improving. So who comes in for sia now is it Barnett or bateman
First thought was Barnett but I guess Bateman was 18th man and Sticky seems to rate him more.
I think it should be Barnett for aggression.

Gee I can't wait for Paulo and Boyd to be wreaking havoc next year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

green_queenslander wrote:Who came off for baptiste?
Fensom?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

always bleed green wrote:The boys getting no love on monday night with Matty johns. But I suppose we are use to that. I just though maybe after a great win ....... But oh well. Imagine if the doggies won. They would still be talking about them
The Doggies were poor with the ball BUT the doggies are a side that wins and loses based on the forward battle. We took it to their forwards all game and in the end we comfortably got the best of them, even though we lost one of our best after only a few minutes.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

I still can't believe that Hodgson, Austin and Sezer chose to play for us. Feel like that bloke punching massively above his weight.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDxrv5fRO-T ... rscanberra

Are they singing "Raiders kicked the bulldogs ass"? :lol:
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Barnett probably a better option for Sia. I would go Bateman for one of the props. I note that Kennedy has been very good for Mounties and provides better fitness and match experience than the other two.

But Barnett for me.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

RaiderSpark wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BDxrv5fRO-T ... rscanberra

That's the lyrics, it's always "we just kicked the *insert team names*'s ass"
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I thought we were pretty good for the most part. We need to cut the avoidable errors such as play the ball mistakes which cost us last week but for the most part we were reasonably solid.

It's a different side with the full spine there. Who would have thought that? If you jumped on here last Saturday at 7pm and cried like a bitch, neck up and recognise that you've got the emotional stability of a year 8 teenage girl.

Onto the Eels. I think they'll be harder.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah that's SOP for the team song after a win.
luke
John Ferguson

Post by luke »

Chicka's shoe wrote:
yes, chicka!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

BJ wrote:Barnett probably a better option for Sia. I would go Bateman for one of the props. I note that Kennedy has been very good for Mounties and provides better fitness and match experience than the other two.

But Barnett for me.
All of our bench forwards are playing in the middle because Whitehead and Paps are 80 minute players. That IMO makes Bateman the logical choice. He has been playing in the middle this year and he looks good. Time to reward that form with a place on the bench and a chance to secure a spot for the next 6 or 7 weeks.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

roneel78 wrote:Papali was best player on the field
Agreed. Has been very good so far this season
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Our edge defense tonight was fantastic. I don't know what happened but there was no Eddie rushing out from his wing and almost every time they put on a back line play we shut it down.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Green_Hammock wrote:Our edge defense tonight was fantastic. I don't know what happened but there was no Eddie rushing out from his wing and almost every time they put on a back line play we shut it down.
I think one of the biggest improvements this year has been Edrick's defence. He's shut down a lot of plays and has stopped rushing in all season long.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:

Love me
:? :lol:
Don't be perturbed, Seiffert. There's so much love coming from me right now. So much.

It is what it is.

Love me. Love the professor.

Love. Love. Love me.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

RaiderSpark wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BDxrv5fRO-T ... rscanberra

Ah, yep. Could be a spaceship's ass, and they'd still sing it.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

Whitehead has received a lot of leeway from myself as he transitioned into NRL, but honestly, it's round 5 now. If he doesn't shelf silly errors like play the balls I'm going to put him under a lot of scrutiny. I forgive him tonight, but gee, that woeful ptb on our own line was magnificently terrible.

Apart from that kind of thing I'm onboard with him though.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Really solid win that, wasn't expecting us to get points tonight. The boys backed up the mid week talk and really aimed up in the defence, haven't seen that type of aggression and intent from us in quite a while.

The Dogs have a forwards based game and we outmusclesd them, which is no mean feat. Tolman and Graham unusually poor stats paints the picture well. BJ and Papalii our best IMO, and no one really played poorly IMO. Austin and Sezer especially looked promising, although Blake looks like he doesn't trust his knee 100% yet.

Lots of improvements to be made however, I think we would've been in trouble against a side with a better quality spine - the Dogs' one is really quite average. These lapses at the back end of the first half have got to come to an end. We're probably going to need to be a bit better against the Eels next round, but I'm confident of a win.
Last edited by afgtnk on April 4, 2016, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I think after my 12 schooners I've just figured out Seiffert's bemusement...

How about this:

Love,

Me

Or

Love from me

That work?

Love. From. Me.

Go the **** Raiders!
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

afgtnk wrote:Really solid win that, wasn't expecting us to get points tonight. The boys backed up the mid week talk and really aimed up in the defence, haven't seen that type of aggression and intent from us in quite a while.

The Dogs have a forwards based game and we outmusclesd them, which is no mean feat. Tolman and Graham unusually poor stats paints the picture well. BJ and Papalii our best IMO, and no one really played poorly IMO. Austin and Sezer especially looked promising, although Blake looks like he doesn't trust his knee 100% yet.

Lots of improvements to be made however, I think we would've been in trouble against a side with a better quality spine - the Dogs' one is really quite average. These lapses at the back end of the first half have got to come to an end. We're probably going to need to be a bit better against the Eels next round, but I'm confident of a win.
Austin did look a bit reluctant tonight. Not the best conditions to come back from an injury.

I expect improvement at Parramatta this Saturday.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

I think the comma did the trick.

But don't beat yourself up, all revolutionaries are judged harshly by their peers.
Last edited by Raider Bell on April 4, 2016, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: although Blake looks like he doesn't trust his knee 100% yet.
Agreed. He looked a little off his game.
Its great to be able to win games like this without him being at his best. We can win games with Sezer and Hodgo on their own and let Blake do what he does best and be an x-factor
he'll be better for the run though, i think he'll be another 2-3 weeks away from his best
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

DJ89 wrote:
afgtnk wrote:Really solid win that, wasn't expecting us to get points tonight. The boys backed up the mid week talk and really aimed up in the defence, haven't seen that type of aggression and intent from us in quite a while.

Austin did look a bit reluctant tonight. Not the best conditions to come back from an injury.

I expect improvement at Parramatta this Saturday.
Yep. Whilst not a terrible game, he was very reserved. The real positive is the rest of the team stepped up around him. Man, I love beating teams that are traditionally better than us.