Terrorist attacks in Brussels

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Terrorist attacks in Brussels

Post by Archer »

Didn't see a thread for this and think it should probably be separate from the Paris one - 30 killed (at the current count) in multiple bombings (Train and Airport) in Brussels. IS have claimed responsibility.
Not sure what there is to say about it - sad, sickening and scary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35869254
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Terrorist Attacks in Brussels

Post by gerg »

This world we live in can be so depressing.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Personally I blame the atheists and the vegans
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Thankfully, i know these attacks were wrong because our politicians have condemned the attacks (halfway to solving the problem). Now all we need is to light up the opera house in the Belgian flags colours followed by making a Facebook profile picture filter accessible to the public aaaaaaand fixed
Dont delete this GE
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Re: Terrorist attacks in Brussels

Post by Professor »

Horrible stuff, yet again.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

simo wrote:Thankfully, i know these attacks were wrong because our politicians have condemned the attacks (halfway to solving the problem). Now all we need is to light up the opera house in the Belgian flags colours followed by making a Facebook profile picture filter accessible to the public aaaaaaand fixed
I don't want the people in Paris to think that I've forgotten about them.. I only have one profile pic!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

With all the murder, rape, abuse, terror and war in the world it's easy to think humans are the dumbest species that ever graced the earth.

Just senseless killings and horror everywhere.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

There was a bomb at the train station too, was there? When I last checked it was just the airport

The authorities have known about something going to go down in Brussels for a long time now

So sad
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Hbomb wrote:Personally I blame the atheists and the vegans
Just wait, the politicians will blame it on the "godless" like they did last time.

We're lucky in Australia, so isolated from a lot of the **** thats going down around the world.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'll be heading through that airport in 10 days time. Slightly funny thought.

Really though, how low rent are these terrorists? As a suicide bomber, this is the sum total of your life. This is it. And the best target you can think of to deliver a crushing blow to your enemies is the **** check in counter at an airport. So eviscerating a dozen or so paid-by-the-hour airline temps and a few middle aged package tours is the greatest blow for freedom you can manage? Awesome stuff.

Fact - most suicide bombers strike within 20km of their own front door. That's how much imagination they have...the greatest military target they can think of is something they drive past in the bus on the way to work each day. It's like our own little friend striking a blow for the repressed masses by shooting up a chocolate cafe. I mean, they might be from the same country, but we're not dealing with Napoleon here.

Dumb, undereducated ****.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

DJ89 wrote:With all the murder, rape, abuse, terror and war in the world it's easy to think humans are the dumbest species that ever graced the earth.

Just senseless killings and horror everywhere.
We are
I've said it once, I'll say it 1000 times
The sooner the animals team up and wipe out the human race the better we'll all be
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:I'll be heading through that airport in 10 days time. Slightly funny thought.

Really though, how low rent are these terrorists? As a suicide bomber, this is the sum total of your life. This is it. And the best target you can think of to deliver a crushing blow to your enemies is the **** check in counter at an airport. So eviscerating a dozen or so paid-by-the-hour airline temps and a few middle aged package tours is the greatest blow for freedom you can manage? Awesome stuff.

Fact - most suicide bombers strike within 20km of their own front door. That's how much imagination they have...the greatest military target they can think of is something they drive past in the bus on the way to work each day. It's like our own little friend striking a blow for the repressed masses by shooting up a chocolate cafe. I mean, they might be from the same country, but we're not dealing with Napoleon here.

Good post, couldn't agree more
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Um that's the thing with modern day terrorist attacks, it's not military targets they're after its civilian, it causes more fear when it's normal people as it could happen to anyone. Soft easy targets are the most effective for them.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

I agree with Manbush - unimaginative or not, said attacks are simple yet very effective.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Um that's the thing with modern day terrorist attacks, it's not military targets they're after its civilian, it causes more fear when it's normal people as it could happen to anyone. Soft easy targets are the most effective for them.
Brilliant, Manbush. Having you here is like a direct link to the CIA or something. Please, tell us more.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

T_R wrote:I'll be heading through that airport in 10 days time. Slightly funny thought.

Top post.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Do you disagree TR or just being a smart ass?

The dumbest thing about them is how few they managed to get.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Thats the dumbest thing about them? Not that they couldnt come up with a plan of attack that doesnt involve them blowing themselves up? Not that they do it out of religious fanaticism? There are so many things dumb about these attacks and we are lucky it includes the inability to harm a larger amount of people
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Do you disagree TR or just being a smart ass?

The dumbest thing about them is how few they managed to get.
I was being a smart ****.

Really, you shouldn't have to ask that question at this stage.

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

simo wrote:Thankfully, i know these attacks were wrong because our politicians have condemned the attacks (halfway to solving the problem). Now all we need is to light up the opera house in the Belgian flags colours followed by making a Facebook profile picture filter accessible to the public aaaaaaand fixed
I'd be ok with it if they could at least do that right.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

^ what the hell is that??
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd say someone on his social team wrote something and labelled it Tweet/FB option.
Then whoever posted it added the label too.

But you probably already knew that and were making a comment on how **** his effort was.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sounds like they've got the guy who failed to detonate himself.

Might be in for a tough night.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Ooooof
Best of luck with everything for that dude
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Arrested ordering a pizza in a restaurant...
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

or maybe not... Thought it was odd Associated Press had nothing on it..

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Domestic flight in Egypt hijacked and forced to land in Cyprus :? :?

All passengers except 4 foreigners and the crew have been released..