You can not add admins/mods to foes list

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: You can not add admins/mods to foes list

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:I think it's pretty obvious why there's a spate of people wanting to use the Ignore function all of a sudden

I had a popular GH member hassling me last night about needing to use it

Personally, I think that's sad
Well you try and improve your posting.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Righto, I'll just bag the team, complain about our wins and constantly suggest moving our best players out of position shall I??
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Normal then
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Maybe I'll just start apologising for everyone and everything raiders related, shall I??

They might make me an admin
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Or you can bag Rapana, drop him from your team and then tell everyone you love him and want him in your team

Either way it's up to you
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Your hatred for Jordan Rapana is getting pretty old, Rra
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Yep
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Stop apologising for raps nickman
Edrick The Entertainer
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Sid wrote:
Raider Bell wrote:Who you ignoring, Sid? Is it me? Is it something I said?
Mate, when you write crap articles about me like you do, why should I talk to ya? Have a think back, I've only read one post of yours, it was 2 weeks ago. It's compulsory for me to come into the GreenHouse, but it's not compulsory for me to have to post to blokes like you.
:lol:!!
I had a good laugh at that, sid. I don't ever use the ignore function, but if I did there's no way you'd be on it.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

EDIT
Thats a bit rough mate
Last edited by greeneyed on March 20, 2016, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Against forum guidelines to alter a quote
Dont delete this GE
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I think moderators and admin should be able to bloke people too.

I know there are plenty of people who get offended / emotional when reading my posts and for their own health they would be better off ignoring me, but they can't all because they want to do a community service and moderate.

It just seems counter productive to what good internet forums are about moderators / admins remove moderate posts which breach the rules, but for everything ok by the rules people read what they want and post what they want.

Also, whilst most moderators are relatively sane, well grounded people just moderating and posting whilst having a bit of fun, you also have one or two turnips, that can only have been chosen by the admin who occasionally has weaker moments when having to make a decision. Thats fine you cant pick them all. But if you pick turnips, dont make us read what they have to say.

Or you could boogs it, let people vote in people, I imagine this will just see a bunch of alts and clique people who may well be alts who knows, voting in more turnips. Leaving that idea worse then what you have now.

Or you could allow all people to ignore people whether they are a moderator or not, whether they are a turnip or not.

Honestly this post has turned into a diatribe, a good diatribe, but the longer I sit here writing this cathartic piece the more I am convincing myself that this point is a winner.

Would allowing anyone to ignore anyone (regardless of title) therefore having more control of what they do and don't read make this site better?

The answer is YES.

The only possible argument against it is you want people to be able to read your warnings / guidelines. You don't want to feel like the policeman nobody is listening too. I get that. But really you can have your cake and eat it. Just delete the offending persons post and on the deleted post put the reason, that is an obvious warning to everyone, obviously.

So in summary, (whilst I say summary, its no guarantee I am finished, I really feel like im on a tear here) all the signs point to agreeing to my humble suggestion because its a goodie.

Inevitably, you won't be convinced by my arguments GE, I accept that, this site is your baby, you created it, you are entitled to run it your way. But for the good of your site, put down what you think are the reasons for and against my suggestion. So atleast I can see the your ruling was made with some considered thought (thought that I obviously disagree with) but considered nonetheless and you didn't just make this decision because somebody did a wee wee in your all bran, you obviously don't have to explain yourself , so i can go jump in a river.

I just would like to know where your mind is at, all bran wee wee mind or considered mind?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wow!

So, in short, you can't have mods on ignore, as the moderators have to moderate the site and people have to be able to read the instructions. Everyone.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

tl;dr

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:tl;dr
I'll sum it up for you

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Alternative summary:
papabear wrote:T_Rnip

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

With all the talk of turnips I read the post in my mind with a 'blackadder' voice.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:Image
Today is the day, 35000 is on the table big boy
Edrick The Entertainer
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote:Wow!

So, in short, you can't have mods on ignore, as the moderators have to moderate the site and people have to be able to read the instructions. Everyone.
Perhaps there is a middle ground here, some of the best relationships have been borne by compromise. A middle ground between the freedom to control content and the authority having their instructions read.

Make it so moderators can ignore people and be ignored whereas administrators can't. That way if you need something to be said to us plebs you can still say it high from the mountaintop, but it also allows the regular user to ignore the couple of turnips on the moderator team.

You know you want to. And if it causes anarchy, just change it back. Keep in mind we are a community, the more you empower each of your community members the stronger that community.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

Why don't you just ignore whichever mod you have a problem with the old fashioned way, papa?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Wow!

Perhaps there is a middle ground here, some of the best relationships have been borne by compromise. A middle ground between the freedom to control content and the authority having their instructions read.

Make it so moderators can ignore people and be ignored whereas administrators can't. That way if you need something to be said to us plebs you can still say it high from the mountaintop, but it also allows the regular user to ignore the couple of turnips on the moderator team.

You know you want to. And if it causes anarchy, just change it back. Keep in mind we are a community, the more you empower each of your community members the stronger that community.
Which turnips do you have in mind? :lol:

The bottom line is the mods are there to do a job. There was a huge amount of off topic posting yesterday in the Teams and Previews thread, and you ignored my moderator request to stop. Cleaning up the thread led to the whole thread being lost. So this turnip is not proposing to change anything.

In fact, I don't think the software even allows it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider Bell wrote:Why don't you just ignore whichever mod you have a problem with the old fashioned way, papa?
By messaging them and telling them you're ignoring them?
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Wirting Special Software >>> 0.21 econds of scrolling
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

Lenny Leonard wrote:
Raider Bell wrote:Why don't you just ignore whichever mod you have a problem with the old fashioned way, papa?
By messaging them and telling them you're ignoring them?
Exactly.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Turnips :lol:

I love it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:
Oh no, did I miss it while in Africa??
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

The Nickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Oh no, did I miss it while in Africa??
Pretty sure it was the one where you called everyone a bunch of jerks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That would account for about 15000 wouldn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, that really doesn't narrow it down, Marko.
papabear
Steve Walters

You can not add admins/mods to foes list

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote:
Which turnips do you have in mind? :lol:

The bottom line is the mods are there to do a job. There was a huge amount of off topic posting yesterday in the Teams and Previews thread, and you ignored my moderator request to stop. Cleaning up the thread led to the whole thread being lost. So this turnip is not proposing to change anything.

In fact, I don't think the software even allows it.
I kindly request whether you are able to confirm the bolded?

Regarding the off topic stuff in the teams and previews thread, it was the turnip EDIT of your Edward Scissor Hands moderator who broke hearts and started with the off topic posting. I have him on ignore, but to be honest, I thought fair dinkum the bloke has worked hard you got to throw a turnip some soil every once in a while.

Then Edward Scissor hands goes uncle chop chop on the whole thread and you are trying to put that down on me. Maybe the derailing is on me, I mean I should not have lowered myself to the turnips level, especially when I know its going to commence an off topic exchange that will derail the thread.

I post my opinion and like everyones opinion sometimes it is disagreed by a poster or two, sometimes its disagreed by one particular member of the dirty clique train. Being a turnip he doesn't express his disagreement in the common fashion - ie point he disagrees with and reasons for said disagreement. The turnip obviously hasn't reached that level of communication yet, its more turnip doesn't like the look of that bloke, turnip make lame joke with lame inference.

As for ignoring your moderator request to stop, well I do not recall that, but if thats the case, I apologize for how that has made you feel, I obviously want you to feel empowered not ignored. But the fact that posters continue to say there piece irrespective of moderator's request goes to the point that said request are effectively not worth typing, hence not a reason to stop people from putting mods/admin on ignore.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

"Goes uncle chop chop" Bahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes. Oh, god yes!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of Shelbyville. They had banished the awful lemon tree forever, because it was haunted. Now let's all celebrate with a cool glass of turnip juice
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I honestly have no idea what's going on.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:I honestly have no idea what's going on.
Classic turnip
Edrick The Entertainer