O'Neill to quit

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

100%green
Don Furner

O'Neill to quit

Post by 100%green »

JOHN O'Neill has resigned as chief executive of Football Federation Australia.

In a surprise announcement at FFA headquarters in Sydney today, O'Neill said he would finish his tenure when his contract expires in March. O'Neill, who was appointed in February 2004 and had overseen the most successful period in Australian football, had the option of staying on for a further four years by mutual agreement with FFA.

But the former Australian Rugby Union boss opted not to pursue that option, citing a desire to pursue other career opportunities and for family reasons.
"On the one hand, my involvement with football has been an exhilarating ride and while we've achieved so much, the potential to take the game even further is enormous," said O'Neill who in June oversaw Australia's first World Cup campaign in 32 years. "But with our rapid progress has come an incredibly intensive and demanding workload and that creates a lot of pressure on personal time and family life.

"An additional consideration is the fact that I've been at the top level of sports administration for 12 years now, and I'd like to think about what is possible in other fields of endeavour."
Source
foxsports.com.au

Is it just me or does anyone else think maybe John O'Neill may be valuable to Rugby League. He could be a part of the IRLF and actually get League admitted to the world sports organisation that Colin Love tried to this year. At the very least the success he has had with Union and Soccer could come in handy in getting the International game in a better position?