Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Are you a GH Lurker?

Post by greeneyed »

Are you a GH Lurker?

@TheNRLLurker
Even "The Lurker" is probably a GH Lurker!

Well, we want you! We want you to sign up, post, and say hi! We want you to de-lurk!

The Greenhouse has 35,000 followers on all our social media platforms, and we know some people prefer to interact on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram sites. We know lots of people read http://www.thegh.com.au, lots more than the people who post! So, we'd love it if all those lurkers joined up to our home website and expressed their views!

Some common misconceptions... which I've heard from Lurkers!

"All you people seem to know each other, and I'd feel out of place posting." "It's a big clique." Well, quite a few posters on the forum do know each other in person... but they mostly didn't before they joined The Greenhouse. We have even had some posters meeting, then ending up married! But a lot of people only know each other because they talk on The Greenhouse. That's one of the great things about the site... Raiders fans all over the world can talk to each other... And you can virtually meet them!

"The Greenhouse is so negative, it just turns me off. I wouldn't want join in that." Well, sure there's lots of opinions, and some of them are negative, very negative. But the alternative is much worse... A forum without any debate and and without differences of opinion. And if you think there's too many negative comments, join up and make some positive ones! We'd love that. What we want is the full range of views amongst Raiders fans.

"It's too confronting joining up and making my first post that people will disagree with." Yes, they'll probably disagree, at least some of them. It's a forum. But it doesn't matter, it's just a forum and your views count as much as others. Don't take it to heart. I get criticised all the time for my views. The more you post, the more you build your profile amongst regular posters.

We really like having lurkers. Or "browsers, read-only participants, non-public participants, legitimate peripheral participants, and vicarious learners". We welcome people who just read. You're the people who make this the biggest Raiders' fan site. But we'd also love to see more people join up and post! Try it now!
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Are you a GH Lurker?

Post by T_R »

Big season coming up....join the chat!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

I don't know most of this lot on here but I sure do talk trash to them like I do :lol:
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote:

Some common misconceptions... which I've heard from Lurkers!

"All you people seem to know each other, and I'd feel out of place posting." "It's a big clique." It may seem like this but in reality that's because 90% of the accounts are in fact the same person. There are socially inept plebs such as Archer who have never met the GH members in person and that's fine, its better this way.

"The Greenhouse is so negative, it just turns me off. I wouldn't want join in that." This is very easy to overcome, just shout louder than them. If this fails, take their argument and extend it beyond the realms of ridiculousness, now claim they made this argument instead.

"It's too confronting joining up and making my first post that people will disagree with." Possibly, but that's just Nickman being a jerk or perhaps TR has got something against "you people". Go take a look at some of the other boards, maybe wander into the Off Topic, Religious or Politics threads. A few minutes here should ease any fear you have of sounding silly.
FTFY GE.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders supporter site?? More like post in a big clique about the same old jokes over and over site
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, SOSF, Archer. Nailed it
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:Raiders supporter site?? More like post in a big clique about the same old jokes over and over site
Can't even get the joke right.. IMFS
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That's the joke, dubby
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

The Nickman wrote:Raiders supporter site?? More like post in a big clique about the same old jokes over and over site
Nailed it.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

FTR I wish some people that posted on here were lurkers...
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Onya GE. You've motivated me to login and post.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Raiders 2015 season is what lead to me joining. I got sick of the endless dribble on facebook and places like zero tackle and went looking for people that actually knew more about the raiders because they were starting to play exciting footy again and I was excited.

After a google and a bit of lurking I started posting. Once you get past everybody thinking you're a lucy alt things aren't too bad :)
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

i had been reading th GH for years before i joined.
mostly trying to get scores,raiders info,etc.
99% of the time when i go to post an opinion someone else has already said it(usually better than what i would have done).
anyway, 2 thumbs to the GH and all those involved in its maintenence and up keep.
not only best raiders site but best nrl site.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The best thing about signing up is using the last read function.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

I just joined because wanted written evidence of all the dribble I speak and for people to call me out on it
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Are you a GH Lurker?

Post by greeneyed »

We love lurkers on The Greenhouse! And this is why...

So it is great if you come just to read... But imagine how much better The GH would be if there were more Nickman's posting (well maybe not)!

So this week we are asking the question...

According to Wikipedia...

Lurkers experience less belonging in a community compared to regular contributors. They are less satisfied and experience more distractions... In the case of social networking websites, lurkers experience less intimacy and personal well-being. Lurkers in Facebook can experience loneliness as they watch other, more social members of the community participate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

It's on Wikipedia, so it must be true, right!?

So give it a go! Sign up to the site today, or maybe you're already a member who has never posted, say hi in this thread... and tell us a bit about yourself:

1. How long have you been reading The Greenhouse?

2. How long have you been a Raiders fan?

3. Who's your favourite Raiders player of all time?

Give it a go!

Just so you know... If you're a new member your first couple of posts won't appear immediately... This is an anti-spam device.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote:The Raiders 2015 season is what lead to me joining. I got sick of the endless dribble on facebook and places like zero tackle and went looking for people that actually knew more about the raiders because they were starting to play exciting footy again and I was excited.

After a google and a bit of lurking I started posting. Once you get past everybody thinking you're a lucy alt things aren't too bad :)
:lol:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I can't remember when I signed up but i started posting regularly in the 2015 pre season and ive never been happier. Thank you greenhouse.
Dont delete this GE
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I'm worried that you didn't mention Hodgson
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I can say first hand when you start posting everyone is welcoming and gentle

It doesn't matter if your opinion is the same or even better , different to most people's , mine is rarely the same as everyone else's but I'm still liked (sort of ;)) ok I'm tolerated !

We learn of each other cause there are at least 10 sides to every argument :)

And by contributing your helping our great club because they do read our chatter and it has changed stuff in the past

So welcome all lurkers :)
Vaccinated
IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

I love lurking.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Krypto
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: All of them

Post by Krypto »

GH lurker, yep that's me :roll:

Met GE at the Nines, had a good chat and ate his pizza :D

:hi
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

I tend to lurk because i can never remember my god darn password! !!!!
Also, no one has ever nominated me for an end of season award, even though my posts are insightful, witty and extremely well written, so i lurk in the shadows, hiding my face, never revealing that I am here, ever presesnt..... always watching.......waiting.....watching
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

IronRaiden wrote:I love lurking.
I encourage you to do a LOT more of it too
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Krypto wrote:GH lurker, yep that's me :roll:

Met GE at the Nines, had a good chat and ate his pizza :D

:hi
Welcome Krypto! Good chatting!
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Maybe we could create an "in joke" thread where newcomers won't be left in the dark when someone uses "dubby" as an adjective or when Simo says he's worried about Hodgo not resigning or when Nickman calls everyone a jerk... That way it might be less intimidating
How soon IS now?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

simo wrote:I can't remember when I signed up but i started posting regularly in the 2015 pre season and ive never been happier. Thank you greenhouse.
Tues 12 March 2013 apparently :D

I was in a similar boat, joined up, posted a couple of times, then went quite for about 18 months. In fact, I got posting again after meeting GE in the grandstand at a game. Id been sitting only a few seats away for 2 or 3 years and didn't know it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Join, post, disagree with everything Pigman posts - just don't think you can out post Nickman.
Edrick The Entertainer
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Is he as magical as he seems on here?
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Who? Piggy or Nickman?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Ge
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, major disappointment.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

GE is a legend.
He doesn't have the dazzling blue eyes that Nickman does, or the gangliness Of Jed, and he certainly doesn't drive a Valiant like bonehead.

The best thing about meeting other GH members is finding out they're all Lucy.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

In an effort to make the place more welcoming yo lurkers, we've made the decision to ban usernames being used a verb.

Please?

Just mine, then?

Please?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Also, Ross. Yeah, you. Ross. Stop just sniffing around the joint and sign up.

I'm sick of you embarrassing me at Christmas dinners about my posting with no recourse to hit back.

Yeah, Ross. You.