The Politics Thread 2016

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

The Politics Thread 2016

Post by Schifty »

Well it seems the Saudi embassy in Iran has been smashed up and torched in response to them executing a cleric....
T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:Well it seems the Saudi embassy in Iran has been smashed up and torched in response to them executing a cleric....
It wont end there, either

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Was just about to post about Saudi, they started 2016 by executing 47 people, seriously the west really needs to find a way to stop dealing with those *****, when is enough enough.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... stice.html
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:
Schifty wrote:Well it seems the Saudi embassy in Iran has been smashed up and torched in response to them executing a cleric....
Yeah I'm guessing torching a place which technically foreign soil won't go down so well.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Was just about to post about Saudi, they started 2016 by executing 47 people, seriously the west really needs to find a way to stop dealing with those ****, when is enough enough.

Gee, that's a dumb comment.

The US executed 30-odd people this year, some of who were minors, some mentally retarded and some convicted by racially biased juries.

'The West' is in NO position to be 'doing something' about Saudi.

How about you get worked up over China (6000 at least in 2015), Japan (execute on dubious confessions and no presumption of innocence), Russia (clear cases of execution on political motives) or any other country with capital punishment?

Your post smacks of racism.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

It's really hard for the West to say anything when America is flying drones where 90% of deaths aren't the intended targets.

In short every continent are a pack of ****s except Antarctica.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote:Was just about to post about Saudi, they started 2016 by executing 47 people, seriously the west really needs to find a way to stop dealing with those ****, when is enough enough.

The US executed 30-odd people this year, some of who were minors, some mentally retarded and some convicted by racially biased juries.

How about you get worked up over China (6000 at least in 2015), Japan (execute on dubious confessions and no presumption of innocence), Russia (clear cases of execution on political motives) or any other country with capital punishment?

Yeah Manbush, stop being such a T_R
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:

Yeah Manbush, stop being such a T_R
Yeah Manbush, stop being such a ....... oh.

Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Thoughts on the actions and behavior of minority groups in Europe recently?

I have friends in Switzerland. A recent conversation with them was extremely confronting and candid. I bet it won't ever be covered by the liberal media in Australia though. Not from the point of view of various European nations who are suddenly confronted with terrible behavior of people they intended to help.

I'm not blaming or pointing the finger at a specific race or religion, but you all know what I'm talking about.

TR, you travel the globe and are extremely intelligent. I would appreciate your insight on this matter.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:

And I'll be against Americas executions, China's and Japan's (which I've been critical of their judicial system previously only for you to defend them).

Wouldn't say it's racist to be against a government (not the citizens) whose death penalty can apply for blasphemy, apostasy and witchcraft.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I spend about three weeks each year in Switzerland, mostly in Zurich and Montreux.

The Swiss are quite insular - the building of minarets there (now banned) was a huge issue, for example. People who are very liberal on other issues are quite resistant on immigration and cultural matters.

Zurich is 25% foreign born now, and while its still a lovely city, it has definitely seen a change of character (but certainly not back to the early 90s, when the Swiss population turned it into a complete heroin dive).

Geneva looks like an african city, as freeloaders from the third world cruise around in mercedes on United Nations junkets.

Outside those two cities, you could live your life in Switzerland and never meet anyone not called Hans or Kurt.

The Swiss get worked up on immigration issues, but the impact there is massively less than in, say, France or Germany.

There may be terrible behaviour going on, but it's certainly not that noticeable or widespread. Compared to Paris or Brussels, I'd say there's next to nothing.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote: On drug traffickers, it's a crap law but they knew what they were doing, don't do the crime if not prepared to do the time. Just because they're from Australia I don't have any more sympathy for them than if they were from any other country, my sympathy is with their families and friends.
How is what the Saudi's did any different to what the Indonesians did?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:
T_R wrote:

And I'll be against Americas executions, China's and Japan's (which I've been critical of their judicial system previously only for you to defend them).

Wouldn't say it's racist to be against a government (not the citizens) whose death penalty can apply for blasphemy, apostasy and witchcraft.
These people were executed for terrorism offenses.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yeah would love to know what the exact details were since atheism is classified as terrorism there, not skeptical or do have faith in their transparency and enacting laws?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

Manbush wrote: On drug traffickers, it's a crap law but they knew what they were doing, don't do the crime if not prepared to do the time. Just because they're from Australia I don't have any more sympathy for them than if they were from any other country, my sympathy is with their families and friends.
How is what the Saudi's did any different to what the Indonesians did?
Are we really going to compare drug smuggling to what gets a death penalty in Saudi?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Yeah would love to know what the exact details were since atheism is classified as terrorism there, not skeptical or do have faith in their transparency and enacting laws?
Where did you see that? ?

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Article 1 of the “terrorism” law prohibits “Calling for atheist thought in any form

http://iheu.org/saudi-arabias-new-law-d ... overnment/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

That's completely different to being an atheist.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Didn't exactly say being "atheist", may the Flying Spaghetti Monster help you if you admit to being one in public or discuss it though, "calling for atheistic thought" is a very lose guideline and one I definitely wouldn't trust their government with. I would definitely be classified as a terrorist.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Some absolute pigs in the LNP it would seem.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Toviii wrote:Some absolute pigs in the LNP it would seem.
It says a lot when they art outraged that behavioral standards are "too high".

Briggs is a total pig, starts sending around photos of the employee after she made the complaint.

Then there's old mate Dutton..
Peter Dutton SMS's Briggs calling @samanthamaiden 'mad f..king witch', sends it to Sam, not Briggs
https://twitter.com/FarrarStacy/status/ ... 2282420224
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've often wondered if Peter Dutton qualifies for special needs assistance under the NDIS.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Seiffert82 wrote:I've often wondered if Peter Dutton qualifies for special needs assistance under the NDIS.
Nah. He's just your garden variety prick
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Didn't exactly say being "atheist", may the Flying Spaghetti Monster help you if you admit to being one in public or discuss it though, "calling for atheistic thought" is a very lose guideline and one I definitely wouldn't trust their government with. I would definitely be classified as a terrorist.
I wrote 'none' in the religion column on my visa application and can report that no one executed me.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Dare you to speak about it to someone ;)

Being a white wealthy business man you'd probably be ok, at least with witchcraft it seems to be poor immigrant workers that get done for it.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:
Saudi has just cut all diplomatic ties with Iran and told their diplomats they must be out within 48hrs

https://news.vice.com/article/saudi-ara ... vicenewsfb
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:Dare you to speak about it to someone ;)

Being a white wealthy business man you'd probably be ok, at least with witchcraft it seems to be poor immigrant workers that get done for it.
You have literally no idea about Saudi Arabia. This conversation is embarrassing to me.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

:lol:

Fair enough mate, just glad you're not defending a government that considers talking atheism terrorism, blasphemy and apostasy are worthy of the death penalty and use witchcraft as an excuse to execute, the government belongs in the dark ages. My sympathy is with their citizens but the government is evil oh but look there's another fat chick over there wonder if they'll pay me to. ;)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Things are far from rosy in the KSA, but it is nothing like you imagine.

For the record, Saudis in Australia feel that the government here is oppressive.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Ok I'll bite, I can see Australians considering our laws oppressive in some regards but what elements do Saudis consider oppressive compared to their home?

As for not what I imagine, they've got an anti witchcraft unit **** :lol:
Last edited by Manbush on January 4, 2016, 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Manbush wrote:Ok I'll bite, I can see Australians considering our laws oppressive in some regards but what elements do Saudis consider oppressive compared to their home?
well for one, we dont allow them to execute for witchcraft or enforce sharia law...
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

We're very, very regulated in Australia...lots of people come here and find it a nanny state.

Saudis particularly find things like speed cameras shocking. That level of government surveillance is completely contrary to their experience.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

simo wrote:
Manbush wrote:Ok I'll bite, I can see Australians considering our laws oppressive in some regards but what elements do Saudis consider oppressive compared to their home?
well for one, we dont allow them to execute for witchcraft or enforce sharia law...
And can people please, please take five minutes to learn what Sharia actually is? ?

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Legal system based on islam? Its pretty broad so it encompasses a lot of aspects? Do i need to name them all or can i just get my pass mark and have you accept that some saudis probably do wish our government allowed them to enforce it?
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

There is virtually no permanent Saudi population in Australia, so I doubt they give a toss one way or another what our government does. Every Saudi I've ever met in Australia would rather chew of their own legs than see Sharia law here. Your comment makes you appear ignorant.

And you don't get a pass mark, no. The legal aspects of Sharia are a tiny part of the whole, despite the fact that it's all we ever hear about. I assume that you don't have an issue with people being expected to wash their hands after taking a ****? Or being nice to their mothers?