The Book Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Book Thread

Post by Botman »

I just finished reading American Tabloid on recommendation from a Crab and it was **** fantastic
Highly recommend it for anyone who likes that kind of thing
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

You didn't like the one the lobster recommended
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahahahahhahha brilliant
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I'm going for a scuttle...
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Travis »

The Nickman wrote:It also enables the Alliance of Light to develop into a full-blown cult in his absence.

Lysaer splitting from them was an interesting twist and sets up for a great finish if he can beat the curse and it ends up being both brothers versus the Alliance of Light.
Yes, agree on both. It shall be interesting to see where she goes.
Pigman wrote:I just finished reading American Tabloid on recommendation from a Crab and it was **** fantastic
Highly recommend it for anyone who likes that kind of thing
Yeah, I read it a while ago, too. It is great. I started reading the sequel, The Cold Six Thousand, but stopped about a third of the way through, as it got a bit boring / slow.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Just found this thread. Like.
Fantasy/historical fiction reader myself so will have to give the Janny Wurts books a go after reading your discussion. Sounds good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

They're fantastic, Archer. I'm really enjoying Game of Thrones too, but as anyone who's seen the shows will attest, nothing good EVER ****ing happens! They're simply horrible!!
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Read a book on raiders board member John Mackay recently.

EDIT
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

What was wrong with that post, we can't do book reviews ?
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Shadow Boxer wrote:What was wrong with that post, we can't do book reviews ?
EDIT
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Haha, the ego's were similar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Oh boy, a Twitter Q&A with EL James! Can she write enough to fill a tweet without using random unassociated adjectives as filler?

#AskELJames What's your favourite shade out of the 50? Is there a chance that more shades will be added?

Now that, my children, wins the internet!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

For anybody into Fantasy I strongly recommend checking out this list:

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-fantasy-series.php

It's huge, over 80 series listed. I've been getting my next read from this guy for the past couple of years, and he's rarely steered me wrong. The big ones like A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time (which I've never actually read) are there, Jordan's series isn't anywhere near the top though. I've also found some of my absolute favourites that I'd previously never heard of: The Long Price Quartet, Chronicles of Amber, Man of His Word.

My only regret thus far is The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; there's enough good to have gotten me through the whole series, but its just so aggravating that if I never see that series again, it'll be too soon.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

I think I've seen a few people mention Patrick Rothfuss and the KingKiller Chronicles, must say I'd recommend them too. Great read, apparently he has signed a TV + Movie + Game deal as well, though I'm not convinced the world will translate very well in another medium. He's also a pretty funny read on twitter, had a good drunken session just the other night actually. https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sterlk wrote:For anybody into Fantasy I strongly recommend checking out this list:

It's huge, over 80 series listed. I've been getting my next read from this guy for the past couple of years, and he's rarely steered me wrong. The big ones like A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time (which I've never actually read) are there, Jordan's series isn't anywhere near the top though. I've also found some of my absolute favourites that I'd previously never heard of: The Long Price Quartet, Chronicles of Amber, Man of His Word.

My only regret thus far is The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; there's enough good to have gotten me through the whole series, but its just so aggravating that if I never see that series again, it'll be too soon.
Looks like a pretty good list, even if the Farseer trilogy is far too far down the list to have me take the rankings seriously! :D

I am completely with you on Thomas Covenant. My good friend convinced me to read the first trilogy and I couldn't get past the first book. An interesting enough idea, and I like characters with flaws, but I can only take so much of the single main character being a completely boring sooky prick with no real redeeming qualities.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

gangrenous wrote:
I am completely with you on Thomas Covenant. My good friend convinced me to read the first trilogy and I couldn't get past the first book. An interesting enough idea, and I like characters with flaws, but I can only take so much of the single main character being a completely boring sooky prick with no real redeeming qualities.
Yeah I'm halfway through the last book but after misplacing it for a few days and starting something else I haven't gone back to it.. I enjoy parts but then there are too many times I feel like its a chore to get through. Will have to bite the bullet and finish it soon as I can't stand leaving it like that.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Into thin air, by John Krakauer. Pretty good so far.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

I'm into the 9th book (Dust of Dreams) of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. The whole series is incredible. Better, I reckon, than the Wars of Light and Shadow series. I highly recommend it. Gardens of the Moon is the first book.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

I read the first book Travis as one of my mates (who is a big fantasy reader also) wouldn't stop talking about it. Not sure what to make of it though tbh, I didn't dislike it but I wasn't in love with it either. The end of the book reminded me of anime for some reason, pretty weird. I do wan't to give the second book a shot sometime however, as this mate is usually pretty spot on with his recommendations. Is it something that gets better as the series progresses?
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Archer wrote:I read the first book Travis as one of my mates (who is a big fantasy reader also) wouldn't stop talking about it. Not sure what to make of it though tbh, I didn't dislike it but I wasn't in love with it either. The end of the book reminded me of anime for some reason, pretty weird. I do wan't to give the second book a shot sometime however, as this mate is usually pretty spot on with his recommendations. Is it something that gets better as the series progresses?
Malazan book of the fallen? I think its pretty consistently good throughout, with some of my favorites being earlier on while the series is still focusing on the Bridgeburners.

You can't really judge the series on Gardens of the Moon, nothing to do with its quality, but GotM just throws you in the deep end and expects you to pick up the world and magic system without much explanation. The subsequent books are really a different sort of experience as you actually have some sort of grasp on the concepts going in.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sounds like the 'Books of the Cataclysm' (also on that list).

The first book is **** crazy and you're trying to work out **** is happening and what it means. The next three then become more traditional fantasy and a lot easier to get through.

I quite enjoyed that series. Ended up reading a couple of Sean Williams' other quartets as well.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I just finished Tyson's book which was very good. Also read 'the road' which was interesting. Now I'm onto some conspiracy theory book
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

Sterlk wrote:
Archer wrote:I read the first book Travis as one of my mates (who is a big fantasy reader also) wouldn't stop talking about it. Not sure what to make of it though tbh, I didn't dislike it but I wasn't in love with it either. The end of the book reminded me of anime for some reason, pretty weird. I do wan't to give the second book a shot sometime however, as this mate is usually pretty spot on with his recommendations. Is it something that gets better as the series progresses?
Malazan book of the fallen? I think its pretty consistently good throughout, with some of my favorites being earlier on while the series is still focusing on the Bridgeburners.

You can't really judge the series on Gardens of the Moon, nothing to do with its quality, but GotM just throws you in the deep end and expects you to pick up the world and magic system without much explanation. The subsequent books are really a different sort of experience as you actually have some sort of grasp on the concepts going in.
Yeah, you understand it more quickly the further you get into the series. I found them all great, though. The second and third books are crackers, so you should give them a go. New characters get introduced fairly regularly, so you might find some of their story lines more interesting.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So I'm reading game of thrones, getting through them at a records pace... What should I move on to next then?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

GoT was, at times, a chore to read
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote:GoT was, at times, a chore to read
I don't find that at all. Even though I've watched the entire series thus far I've found the books to be really good. I'm already up to book 5 in only 2-3 months
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That's impressive. Fourth book was just painful at times
Danyrs (sp ?) was so bloody boring

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I've been off for 5 weeks on bonding leave which has helped haha
The one I'm on now "a feast of crows" seems the most slow going but then it's also the one that the show seems to have covered least so I'm finding that fascinating
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:I've been off for 5 weeks on bonding leave which has helped haha
The one I'm on now "a feast of crows" seems the most slow going but then it's also the one that the show seems to have covered least so I'm finding that fascinating
John Snow dies. ****.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote:
Pigman wrote:I've been off for 5 weeks on bonding leave which has helped haha
John Snow dies. ****.
Oh he does not!
Riley Cusack
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Sean Berrigan

Post by Riley Cusack »

Sterlk wrote:For anybody into Fantasy I strongly recommend checking out this list:

:thumbsup A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just finishing 'Papillon' which has been a decent adventure type book. Prior to that I read the Altered carbon trilogy which was pretty cool. Next up is the Triathletes training bible.

Anybody reading or is everyone lurking the streets looking for Pokemon?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Noticed a lot of people in this thread enjoyed to kill a mockingbird. I highly recommend an Australian book by Craig Silvey called Jasper Jones. I loved it, couldn't put it down. I've heard it described as the Aussie version of tkam.

For a good laugh I recommend The 100yo Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared, by Jonas Jonassan. Also by the same author The Girl Who Saved The King Of Sweden

If you are interested in historical fiction i recommend the author Conn Iggulden. His 2 series of books about julius ceasar and ghengis khan are cracking reads.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

gergreg wrote:Just finishing 'Papillon' which has been a decent adventure type book. Prior to that I read the Altered carbon trilogy which was pretty cool. Next up is the Triathletes training bible.

Anybody reading or is everyone lurking the streets looking for Pokemon?
There's a sequel to Papillon called "Banco" about his life post escape. Comes across a bit fanciful at times but, it is well worth a look if you enjoyed the first one. The movie of Papillon is good too, Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Up to book 3 in Daniel Abraham's completed The Dagger and Coin series. So far I think its pretty good, a lot of the POV characters aren't very likable though.