Post by simo »

Broncs just lost the gf. See. There is a god. And thats the end of that chapter
Dont delete this GE
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Re: One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by Notaroboticfish »

simo wrote:Broncs just lost the gf. See. There is a god. And thats the end of that chapter
X2
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Hello123 wrote:
simo wrote:Broncs just lost the gf. See. There is a god. And thats the end of that chapter
X2
Ad infinitum
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Sorry to break it to you lads but in the 78th minutes I told the devil I'd sell my soul for Cowboys to win the Grand Final...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I always knew you were the devil
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Joke is on her though.

I lost my sould when I bet it against Nickman in a game of pitch n putt then proceeded to self destruct on the back 9.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Ok. Too much vodka and red Bull

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I seen you at the raiders vs Cowboys game. I was in the row behind you. With jed.

Scheming

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: Yes, yes he did...and all of what I said is relevant to that point.
Not really.

You respond with:
* God is just and jealous - That's wonderful, doesn't explain or justify God being evil
* Not everything has to be happy happy joy joy - Perhaps not, but it doesn't justify God actively advocating evil behaviour.
* Christians have done some wonderful stuff - Well it's highly debatable that that should be tied to God. Even if we do assume that God did do that, it's really lovely that whilst keeping slaves and condemning the gays during the week he finds time to help out in soup kitchens on the weekends.
* Not everyone can be right - Completely irrelevant.
* Everyone can believe what they want - Completely irrelevant.

Perhaps I was too harsh saying your post was irrelevant. There were bits that had some tangential relevance, but I can't see any argument of any significance there to defend why "God's word" would ever contain such garbage in it.
Gangrenous, I don't expect you to agree with something you don't want to understand. What you consider to be an 'evil' God in the Old Testament is actually God punishing evil (in quite brutal ways). That is the just and jealous bit. Christians don't worship a namby pamby God. However, the New Testament changes the whole paradigm with our relationship with God and one another, based on love and forgiveness.

You can try to disconnect the good works of Christians from God all you want if it makes you feel happy. To be perfectly honest we've been through all this before. It's a bit tedious and I'm about to go on holidays for a week, so lets just agree to disagree and not go though it all again. :)
He didn't just punish evil though, he committed genocide against all humanity, instructed Moses to slaughter infants and non virgins and keep the virgins for themselves, not sure about you but babies are not sinful and shouldn't be held accountable for others crimes.

Even the New Testament and the rewriting of his laws was twisted and evil, he's meant to be all knowing and wise, creates the laws of the universe yet the only way he could think to forgive humanity of their sins (not actually theirs but some ancient ancestors) was a human sacrifice, seriously that was his best idea how about just saying I won't hold you accountable for the sins of your ancient ancestors.

The way people justify things to control cognitive dissonance always amazes me.
Last edited by Manbush on October 4, 2015, 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The best evidence of a god I've ever seen :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Manbush wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: Yes, yes he did...and all of what I said is relevant to that point.
Not really.

You respond with:
* God is just and jealous - That's wonderful, doesn't explain or justify God being evil
* Not everything has to be happy happy joy joy - Perhaps not, but it doesn't justify God actively advocating evil behaviour.
* Christians have done some wonderful stuff - Well it's highly debatable that that should be tied to God. Even if we do assume that God did do that, it's really lovely that whilst keeping slaves and condemning the gays during the week he finds time to help out in soup kitchens on the weekends.
* Not everyone can be right - Completely irrelevant.
* Everyone can believe what they want - Completely irrelevant.

Perhaps I was too harsh saying your post was irrelevant. There were bits that had some tangential relevance, but I can't see any argument of any significance there to defend why "God's word" would ever contain such garbage in it.
Gangrenous, I don't expect you to agree with something you don't want to understand. What you consider to be an 'evil' God in the Old Testament is actually God punishing evil (in quite brutal ways). That is the just and jealous bit. Christians don't worship a namby pamby God. However, the New Testament changes the whole paradigm with our relationship with God and one another, based on love and forgiveness.

You can try to disconnect the good works of Christians from God all you want if it makes you feel happy. To be perfectly honest we've been through all this before. It's a bit tedious and I'm about to go on holidays for a week, so lets just agree to disagree and not go though it all again. :)
He didn't just punish evil though, he committed genocide against all humanity, instructed Moses to slaughter infants and non virgins and keep the virgins for themselves, not sure about you but babies are not sinful and shouldn't be held accountable for others crimes.

Even the New Testament and the rewriting of his laws was twisted and evil, he's meant to be all knowing and wise, creates the laws of the universe yet the only way he could think to forgive humanity of their sins (not actually theirs but some ancient ancestors) was a human sacrifice, seriously that was his best idea how about just saying I won't hold you accountable for the sins of your ancient ancestors.

The way people justify things to control cognitive dissonance always amazes me.
Sounds good manbush...looks like you've got it all sorted. I'm surprised God hasn't given you a call for advice on how to fix the problems mankind has created for itself. :)

The problem is you're focusing on the here and now, not what is ultimately important.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

dubby wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Tolerance is not saying: "What those people are doing is not right, but I'll 'tolerate' them. And they don't deserve the same rights I have, because what they do is 'not right'. And, oh, some of my best friends are *add what you like*, but of course we love them." If people are not harming others... let them be, and don't judge them.
Geez that's glib.
I disagree. GE nailed it.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Seiffert82 wrote:
The problem is you're focusing on the here and now, not what is ultimately important.
See and for mine that's a problem, the here and now exists we can prove that, where as there is no evidence for what you consider is ultimately important so shouldn't we consider what is a provable fact to be ultimately more important.

There are approximately 5,000 gods, shouldn't we rely on evidence for what to believe rather than relying on when/where we were born or just what feels good to us. Pick any of those other 5,000 gods and think about your reasons for not believing in them then apply those reasons to your god.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Toviii wrote:
dubby wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Tolerance is not saying: "What those people are doing is not right, but I'll 'tolerate' them. And they don't deserve the same rights I have, because what they do is 'not right'. And, oh, some of my best friends are *add what you like*, but of course we love them." If people are not harming others... let them be, and don't judge them.
Geez that's glib.
I disagree. GE nailed it.
Nope it's glib and trite. How many times do we have to say this.

Religion can't be left unjudged as, in all its forms, it chooses to impose its doctrine on others.

The current Australian government is like an outpost of the Catholic Church at the moment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Glib or trite, too bad. There's good things and bad things involved in religion. One of the bad things is cover for prejudice and hate for those who are different and don't conform to their "doctrine". And they have no right to judge, and deny others their basic human rights, when those people do no harm to others.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Haha, sorry I totally misinterpreted your post, carry on
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Totally agree even the part about good in religion (though religion isn't required for those good things to exist).

While I'd love to see religion disappear, if Australia was an atheist nation (not secular like we are meant to be) I would not be for making laws discriminating against those with religious beliefs even though I do have moral issues with it. Laws should be made by reason and evidence not emotion and beliefs.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:Glib or trite, too bad. There's good things and bad things involved in religion. One of the bad things is cover for prejudice and hate for those who are different and don't conform to their "doctrine". And they have no right to judge, and deny others their basic human rights, when those people do no harm to others.
Have you experienced this, or read about it?

And please don't use the Catholic Church as an example. That's a given, and reflects the attitude and selfishness of the Vatican.

Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Are you serious ?

How about a 15 year old boy shooting an innocent IT worker in the back of the head or someone blowing up an abortion clinic.

How about standing outside a funeral with a god hates **** sign.

There are so many examples you would need to document the history of the world to capture them all.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

We live in Australia so religious people of all stripes have and should have the freedom to believe in and practice whatever they wish. However, they do not have the right to have their beliefs validated by the state, forced onto others or respected alongside scientific fact. More importantly they don't have the right not to be offended by criticism of their beliefs.

It is a very dangerous thing when people preach tolerance of other peoples intolerance. At the same time it is very dangerous to assume that someone's religion defines their beliefs.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Are you serious ?

How about a 15 year old boy shooting an innocent IT worker in the back of the head or someone blowing up an abortion clinic.

How about standing outside a funeral with a god hates **** sign.

There are so many examples you would need to document the history of the world to capture them all.
That's not religion mate. That's a brain washed youth exploited by a terrorist cell.

That's like me raising the eugenics argument.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Religious group standing out front of women's health clinic everyday harassing women and their children who are trying to enter.

You can push any blame onto individuals but the below passage puts it well.

"Problem of Casual Theistic Beliefs

Casual theists (such as liberal Christians) contribute indirectly to many of the atrocities above. Even though most theists aren't responsible for such atrocities, their presence helps to establish an environment sympathetic to religiously motivated actions likely to cause harm. Just as a damp basement is an environment more conducive to mold growth than a dry basement, a society infused with casual theistic belief is an environment more conducive to dangerous theistic actions than a society without religious beliefs."
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

So because your harassment of teen girls and women is not driven by religion, it's ok?

Sorry, couldn't help myself :P
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote:

Casual theists (such as liberal Christians) contribute indirectly to many of the atrocities above. Even though most theists aren't responsible for such atrocities, their presence helps to establish an environment sympathetic to religiously motivated actions likely to cause harm. Just as a damp basement is an environment more conducive to mold growth than a dry basement, a society infused with casual theistic belief is an environment more conducive to dangerous theistic actions than a society without religious beliefs."
In a GH life that has been largely a mass of ****, you have excelled yourself this time MB with what is the biggest pile of **** you have ever managed.

This is like saying that being a man contributes to rape.

I get that you are anti religion, but deadset, this is getting stupid.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by Botman »

Or to hit closer to his core his support of prostitution helps foster an environment which creates sex slavery

Basically manbush is a contributor of slavery and rape. What a **** piece

Where to even begin with his contribution of the illegal drug trade and all that goes a long with that
Last edited by Botman on October 6, 2015, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:Or to hit closer to his core his support of prostitution helps foster an environment which creates sex slavery

Basically manbush is an advocate of slavery and rape. What a **** piece

Where to even begin with his advocacy of the drug trade
He basically murderers Mexican children.

Manbush, you sick ****.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Pigman wrote:Or to hit closer to his core his support of prostitution helps foster an environment which creates sex slavery

Where to even begin with his contribution of the illegal drug trade and all that goes a long with that
Not where prostitution is legal and regulated, when it's illegal I would totally agree.

Drugs yes can't disagree, but once legal and regulated that would be another issue.

TRs rape claim, men who don't stand against rape (just like religions who don't stand against discrimination, oppression etc) do contribute.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jesus wept.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:

Not where prostitution is legal and regulated, when it's illegal I would totally agree.

Drugs yes can't disagree, but once legal and regulated that would be another issue.

TRs rape claim, men who don't stand against rape (just like religions who don't stand against discrimination, oppression etc) do contribute.
Listen, I don't think a slaver and rapist is in a position to judge religion, that's all
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Listen, I don't think a slaver and rapist is in a position to judge religion, that's all
Careful Pigman....he's killed before.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

:lol:

Same as when someone says "I'll pray for you", in theory they are naively wishing you well but where it gets muddied is they are "blessing" or "praying" to a being that would see them be tortured for eternity, that's where it could be considered offensive and why a lot of atheists don't like it.

I don't mind someone saying bless you, it's reflex and sometimes I've even said it, I do however take issue with someone telling me they'll pray for me, like a Jew would take issue with someone praying to Hitler for them.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Why though? In the end you know theyre just going into their own space and asking their imaginary friend to look after you. Hows that hurt you?
Dont delete this GE
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

IMO all thoughts on religion shoudl be inputted here.

http://www.screamintothevoid.com
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:Religious group standing out front of women's health clinic everyday harassing women and their children who are trying to enter.

You can push any blame onto individuals but the below passage puts it well.

I would like to see a definition of the term casual theist.