Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Pressure grows for Syria strike...

Post by Schifty »

West 'ignored Russian offer in 2012 to have Syria's Assad step aside'

Exclusive: Senior negotiator describes rejection of alleged proposal – since which time tens of thousands have been killed and millions displaced

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... step-aside

Sure makes for interesting reading.. It is pretty clear we've ended up with the worst case scenario.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

ak47 wrote:Assaad is not the problem and has never been the problem. Syria literally havent hurt anybody. The USA just dont like them dealing with Iran, coz thats Russias alliance in the region.

Assaad is painted by mainstream media as a bad guy and fast forward a few months/years and now those rebels the US armed and funded to topple Assaad (the bad guy) are now ISIS (even badder guys)

So basically the US funds and arms the entire region and then goes home and waits until someone is getting the upper hand and comes back and stops them. Its like dropping a basket of BB guns into kindergarten and coming back at the end of the day to persecute whoever is winning the battle of the playground. This is all a ploy to get support for invasions so that they can democracise the region for their own oil exploitation.

ISIS wouldnt exist if Sadaam wasnt illegally invaded under the false pre-tense of WMD's. Thanks to the UN and Bushes bronies. None of this happened in Iraq prior, and has only happened since. The Chemical weapons in Syria were not deployed by Assaad, but were used by the rebels aided by the West to topple Assaad.

We have a high terror alert because we fight these wars and its none of our business. Bali only happened because of our involvement in the Iraq war. The more we participate and kill Middle Eastern people, the more enemies you make. This is none of our business, our military is minute compared most (ranked 43 in the world), we dont need to be frontline with the US pushing democracy, its a waste of taxpayer funds and only puts a cross-hair on our shores, that no amount of security can stop.
Seriously, where does this stuff come from.

Is there like some anti America conspiracy site that spins this stuff out ?

http://www.news.com.au/world/simple-poi ... 6705155146
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

So what is exactly the end game if Isis is defeated in Syria?

Does Assaad- The guy we tried to remove in 2010 by arming random rebels get back into power and we start arming a new bunch of 'moderates' ?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The end game is always a free democratic nation governed by the people and respectful of the human rights of its citizens.

I think that was the hope for Syria through the Arab spring.

Unfortunately an evil despot, backed by the Russians, turned chemical weapons on his people and allowed an even more evil presence to take up residence in the north of his country.

This has resulted in the free worlds hands being somewhat tied.

Neither despot can be allowed to succeed however in the absence of a strong alternative all that can be done is to try and limit the effectiveness and spread of ISIS through attacks on its infrastructure, wherever it may be.

A very sad situation.

I have to go now as I understand the Atheists in the south are taking heavy shelling from the Agnostics in the North and they are threatening to strap go-pro's to their prisoners cages and drown them in a swimming pool.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Schifty wrote:So what is exactly the end game if Isis is defeated in Syria?

Does Assaad- The guy we tried to remove in 2010 by arming random rebels get back into power and we start arming a new bunch of 'moderates' ?
we?

we sit on our computers and type opinions, whether our governments or corporations flog some weapons off is an entirely different matter.

The question of whether the west should or should not intervene when a middle eastern nation is going bezerko on its citizens is a difficult one. But really there are so many **** examples of tinpot countries going on a mad pillage on their citizens with the west doing nothing, I don't think you can discount action solely because the end game is grey.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Well Russia is now involved in bombing Free Syrian Army controlled areas.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Schifty wrote:Well Russia is now involved in bombing Free Syrian Army controlled areas.
Are these the same Free Syrian Army that have committed countless war crimes since the start of the conflict?
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

No, I think they are guys on receiving end of Assad's air strikes, barrel bombs and chemical weapons.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Shadow Boxer wrote:No, I think they are guys on receiving end of Assad's air strikes, barrel bombs and chemical weapons.
They are also the guys who have tortured, beaten and summarily executed soldiers, police and civilians, including beheading a Syrian state TV journalist and allegedly kidnapping and handing over a US journo who was subsequently beheaded by ISIS.

Assad has used some very unsavoury methods to hang onto power. Opposition and rebel forces including the FSA, Al Nusra and ISIS have also engaged in some very unsavoury and entirely unacceptable behaviour.

The entire region is a ****ing mess. The Russian airstrikes are as unnecessary and ineffective as ours and only risk the further escalation of tensions and more unnecessary death and destruction.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

On the same day US warned Russia about civilian casualties in Syria it seems they may have just bombed a hospital in Afghanistan.. :doubt:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Oops posted it in the politics thread, it was a doctors without borders hospital :(
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

From Twitter...
According to @msf, US military knew location of hospital and continued bombing for 30 mins after getting phone call from site. Inexcusable

*Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Yep also known as Doctors without Borders, it's a great humanitarian organisation without prejudice, a popular charity among many atheists (only mention that as it's the only reason I had heard of them).

It's **** disgusting the yanks kept a going, accidents do happen in wars but to keep going once it's discovered is inexcusable and heads need to roll.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

This is really escalating :shock: :shock:

End of ISIS? Putin 'sending 150,000 soldiers to Syria to WIPE OUT evil Islamic State'

VLADIMIR Putin is preparing to send 150,000 troops to Syria in a bid to wipe out the evil Islamic State once and for all.

The Russian leader is reportedly mounting an enormous military mission to take control of the terror group's stronghold of Raqqa.

The city is the self-declared capital of ISIS in Syria and is patrolled by as many as 5,000 jihadi members.

Putin is set to mobilise 150,000 reservists who he conscripted into the military earlier this week.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/609 ... s-military
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Doesnt seem to be messing around
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Syria conflict: Turkish jets 'intercept Russian plane'

Turkish F-16 fighter jets have been scrambled after a Russian warplane violated Turkey's air space on Saturday, the foreign ministry says.

The Russian fighter plane "exited Turkish airspace into Syria" after being intercepted, the ministry said.
The Turkish foreign minister has spoken to his Russian counterpart, as well as ministers from other Nato countries.

Russia has been carrying out air strikes in Syria in support of President Bashar al-Assad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34441201

yeah that's not great...

Also here is Kremlin propaganda's Russia Today's take on things.

https://www.rt.com/news/317649-syria-st ... is-russia/
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I think the comments were more amusing in the propaganda one. It's full of people who fell for the propaganda.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Wow.. :|

A Russian TV channel is broadcasting weather forecasts for Syrian air raids.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/krishrach/a-rus ... .seRBpgW7E
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Interesting move from the Russians. A ground war was inevitable and now the Russians are on the ground it will force the US and its allies into a serious rethink of their strategy.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Pressure grows for Syria strike...

Post by Schifty »

The Dollop podcast on the Iraq war is just incredible.

Everyone knows what happened there is a complete but it's impossible to imagine just what levels they reached.