Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Post by DJ89 »

The Nickman wrote:
Pigman wrote:How's Martin Place going? I assume it's still a ghost town, yeah? Should be able to get a bite to eat in lunch rush without any trouble?
I don't think anyone goes there anymore, Pigsy

You'll be lucky to find anywhere open to even get a sandwich!
People still go to the Lidnt Cafe, Charlie Hedbo is still operating. Doesn't make it any less sad, or mean it did impact anyone.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Pigman wrote:Do we know if Sydney has been the same again since? Im heading there tomorrow and would like to know what im in for
Same here, flying in tomorrow night. I'm wondering how much heat I should pack.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Well thankfully it should be pretty safe, police have done a good job foiling some potential attacks.

The people working there at the time though I'm guessing would still be jumpy, flashbacks, suffering PTS, their lives would have definitely changed.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Manbush wrote:Well thankfully it should be pretty safe, police have done a good job foiling some potential attacks.

The people working there at the time though I'm guessing would still be jumpy, flashbacks, suffering PTS, their lives would have definitely changed.
So you're saying that I should be right with just a couple of hand guns?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We're taking 2 handguns each, packing our bazooka and giving my boy a switch blade just to be sure
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Throw in a ak47 just in case mate
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

But leave the machete at home?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Never know when the zombies will finally rise I guess.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fair point. The machete is packed. I'm sure when I explain my reasoning, they'll wave me through airport security.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Post by greeneyed »

Seriously, you blokes ought to have a good hard look at yourselves, belittling the sorrow felt by friends, family and so many people across the country.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

We're pretty much just belittling Lucy
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

To be fair, I only bumped this thread to point out SB's blatant hypocrisy in the "TR is a horrible racist" thread.
Wayne
Sam Backo

Post by Wayne »

The Nickman wrote:To be fair, I only bumped this thread to point out SB's blatant hypocrisy in the "TR is a horrible racist" thread.
I am happy that the true meaning behind TR's apparent lol's thread is being called out for what it is.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jeff Steinberger wrote:
The Nickman wrote:To be fair, I only bumped this thread to point out SB's blatant hypocrisy in the "TR is a horrible racist" thread.
I am happy that the true meaning behind TR's apparent lol's thread is being called out for what it is.
Keepin' the black man down, brother!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote:Seriously, you blokes ought to have a good hard look at yourselves, belittling the sorrow felt by friends, family and so many people across the country.
I'm in Sydney now and I have to say I now agree, it's quite eerie walking around this city and seeing the depths at which it has changed

Sydney is not the same, and I now accept it never will be. Martin Place in particular. I mean this town used to be a hub of excitement and activity, and now it's...

Well...

Exactly as it was last time I was here :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

People are certainly not the same, for the reasons I've pointed out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Latest terrorist threat to Australia

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote:People are certainly not the same, for the reasons I've pointed out.
Those impacted? sure. Which is, a worst a few thousand in a population of millions

Sydney is just fine, and is getting on with things as if the entire sordid event had never happened, as many of us said it would.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They appear to be so, walking around the street, going to restaurants and bars, but to say that people have not in some way been changed by the event, I can't possibly imagine how that can be true. Their views have changed, the way people think has changed, their expectations of how their city and country works has changed.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yeah can't just go by life returning to normal, things can change while the surface still appears the same. Human nature we keep going and rebuild what has been destroyed by tragedy, to do otherwise would be to let the **** win.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Why would a mentally disturbed guy causing a police shooting change v the fabric of Sydney?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I spent an hour in traffic today in the CCT because of congestion, no accident, no event, just too many ***** trying to get to the same area of sydney.
Next time some deranged **** wants to "change the face" of sydney, how about they start with the traffic?!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Because horrific events do that to people.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:Why would a mentally disturbed guy causing a police shooting change v the fabric of Sydney?
It wouldn't and it hasn't.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

They do. But you've not mentioned all the other horrific events. Did they all change the fabric of the city?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, they do, some soak more into the subconscious of people than others. That event certainly did.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Speaking of the Sydney siege this certainly isn't a good look if true..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stmas.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Yes, they do, some soak more into the subconscious of people than others. That event certainly did.
GE's right. Just like that lady in cairns who stabbed those poor ten (?) kids to death has changed the lives of people in cairns forever.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Read a book such as John Birminghams 'Leviathan' to find out why 200 years of history say you're wrong.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Yes, they do, some soak more into the subconscious of people than others. That event certainly did.
GE's right. Just like that lady in cairns who stabbed those poor ten (?) kids to death has changed the lives of people in cairns forever.
There is a difference, she didn't do it under the guise of an extremist world wide call up to arms.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

No, she did it under the influence of a deadly drug that will probably impact everybody in our generation at some stage and generations to come

But yeah, Muslims under the bed yadda yadda yadda
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

And there's a big uproar about the said drug.

Whether you choose to recognise it or not a world wide "cause" will always impact due to fear of more followers committing similar actions under the guise of said cause, as I mentioned earlier thankfully the police have so far done a good job in stopping more potential threats under the name of the same cause.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If you live in Australia and are genuinely more concerned about the impact of Muslim terrorism than use of the drug ice, then you are either an deeply twisted xenophobe or a **** of the highest order.

Or both, of course.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Personally not really concerned about either.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If you're not concerned about the drug ice and its impacts on society then you genuinely have no idea, or your head buried in the sand.

For me personally, I'm worried if I ever have kids about the impact it will have on them. I've already lost friends to the drug and it will probably be harder for the next generation or so.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I'd be more worried about alcohol, much more prevalent and encouraged. Ice is definitely a bad drug but I do believe they are going over the top with the hysterics like they've done previously with other drugs, education is the key rather than hysterics.