Windows 10

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sterlk
David Furner

Windows 10

Post by Sterlk »

Post your Windows 10 questions/experiences here.

By now most of you will know that anybody with a legit copy of Windows 7 or newer will qualify for a free copy of Windows 10, rolling out in waves starting today. I was surprised to find myself in the first wave, my laptop is now running Windows 10.

I found the upgrade process to be quite painless, took about 10mins, left it to do its thing and came back to answer a couple of questions to how I want stuff to work, and that's it. Only thing I've found so far that didn't make it over was my pin of Windows' inbuilt calculator, which for some reason didn't work anymore, fixed in about 5 seconds.

The surprise for me so far has got to be the new browser, Microsoft Edge, for whatever reason it feels lightning-fast, seems to display pages in about half the time Chrome takes. Edge doesn't appear to have extension support as yet (though its coming), so no ad blockers or password managers for a little while. I need Lastpass and prefer having an ad blocker on if possible, so I'll stick with Chrome for now... but I think once Edge is compatible with Lastpass and can block ads, I'll be a convert.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Re: Windows 10

Post by CJ42 »

How's it go with keeping steam and games? Will they still work properly?
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I don't really have any games PC games, sorry. I'm an Xbox guy. There's a guy on Gizmodo doing a 'Windows 10 cold turkey' thing, I think he said apart from some resolution settings all his games were fine.

I just realised my touchpad decided to **** itself though, the edge-scroll is no longer working, driving me crazy. Hunting for drivers now...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's something wrong with my version of whatever the latest number was of the last Windows abomination. So it won't update.

I hate the way Mac works, it is completely non user friendly.

So I'm sort of stuck with Windows. They decided to try and make it look like Apple tablets... and from that moment on, they lost their competitive advantage.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks Lenny. I think my problem is Windows 8 has never worked properly for me from day one, and I've never been able to fix it.

Microsoft has lost focus. They didn't understand what their users liked about their product. By the looks, they still don't get it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah I wasn't a fan of 8 either, I put a skin on to make it look like windows 7 and dealt with it
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I think you'll like Windows 10 if you manage to update to it GE, it's more like the previous versions. Lenny's link should help.

I figured out the touchpad issue too, apparently Windows 10 likes to update your drivers by default, turned that off, rolled back to the driver version that I had previously and actually works. Still not working... ****? Screw around for half an hour looking for a better version, no dice, uninstall/reinstall new/old driver a few times, nada. Reinstall the known working one, dive into well-hidden settings and re-enable edge scrolling. Bleh.

Damn you Microsoft! I would have had nothing but praise for you if you didn't mess with my drivers. :cmon
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

If all else fails GE, you could install/recover to a fresh copy of Windows 8 (after backing up anything you want to keep). From there if you just run the windows updates until it's up to date, you should be able to get the icon and install 10 when they call your number, doubt you'd run into any serious issue with a fresh install.

Complete the rest of your setup once 10 is running.

Not too hard, did it with my laptop a month ago when upgrading to an SSD. Wouldn't do it yourself unless you're relatively good with computers though, otherwise recruit a tech-savvy friend/relative to help out.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Mine just finished.

It seems a lot quicker than windows 8 which is good. A few minor tinkers like getting rid of the task viewer and search bar and im pretty happy
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm going to buy a whole new computer and start again.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Depends how old your current one is, if it's less than 2 years old I wouldn't spend the money on a new one so soon cause the current one sounds fixable

Basically id get a external hdd if you don't have one already, back all your stuff up and just do a factory restore. This will do a fresh install from the factory image on your HD.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks Lenny.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Apparently the plan is just to keep updating windows 10 and not release a new one

I wonder how long that will last
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Exactly like apple and Mac OS X
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

It seemed alright so far with my playing around with it for work. There's some really good features for small and medium businesses. I didn't mind Windows 8/8.1, but it was a huge pain in the bum for enterprise customers. W10 appears to have fixed most of those.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Is windows 10 subscription based? Or did i make that up?
Dont delete this GE
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Nope
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

its free forever if you upgrade in the first year, after that all bets are off.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Anyone running any cad programs on it?
Dont delete this GE
BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

simo wrote:Anyone running any cad programs on it?
Would be interested to hear this as well, one of the main reasons I'm holding off Windows 10 for now.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I don't know. I hope this helps.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

reptar wrote:
I don't know. I hope this helps.
stick to calling game days. That helps
Dont delete this GE
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

That driver update I mentioned before continues to be a major pain in the ass, despite my telling it everywhere to not update drivers, it continues to do so.

Just ran a Microsoft hide driver updates tool, which supposedly works for specific drivers, hopefully that helps.
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Post by Guy Incognito »

BrisbaneRaider wrote:
Would be interested to hear this as well, one of the main reasons I'm holding off Windows 10 for now.
I'm running Revit on it and haven't had any problems so far.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Yep that did it, if anybody has issues with updates that are breaking things, here's your link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Where was this re-enable side scrolling?

I've also reinstalled, rolled back drivers, updated them for no result.

Other then the touchpad issue windows 10 seems fine.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Type "mouse" into the search bar, select "Change your mouse settings", then "Additional mouse options". The last tab should specify your driver version and give you "Options...", you can enable it from there (if your driver has the setting available).

There's probably a quicker way to get at it, but that's how I found it just then.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Sterlk wrote:Type "mouse" into the search bar, select "Change your mouse settings", then "Additional mouse options". The last tab should specify your driver version and give you "Options...", you can enable it from there (if your driver has the setting available).

There's probably a quicker way to get at it, but that's how I found it just then.
Oops forgot I asked you about this :lol:

Anyway been using a USB wireless mouse.

Seems I don't have that setting available.

ah well
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I guess the final step is based on your driver, I have "Options..." here, if you click the settings button it might give you something, but mine's very different - your manufacturer is Synaptics, mine's ELAN
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Is it true that the reason Microsoft jumped straight from Windows 8 to Windows 10 was because 7 ate 9?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Is it true that the reason Microsoft jumped straight from Windows 8 to Windows 10 was because 7 ate 9?
Yes. I asked a senior product manager exactly that, and they confirmed it. In writing.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Guy Incognito wrote:
BrisbaneRaider wrote:
I'm running Revit on it and haven't had any problems so far.
I'm running Planet's Auto Cad and it's completely destroyed the line drawing side of things.

Scrolling in and out of the drawing it just doubles up on lines to the point my drawings are just a big black square.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

I'm currently conducting a lot of testing for my companies product on windows 10 so I'll throw up some of my thoughts here.

- I'm undecided on how I feel about having no control over my updates, I enjoyed a lot of things about windows 8/8.1 but did have problems with my GPU drivers after new updates, for this reason I would hold off for a bit on certain updates. On the other hand a lot of our customers go an age without windows updates and as a result parts of our software fail, which is an absolute nightmare trying to figure out. Be nice not dealing with that any more.

- Edge still feels like a beginner friendly browser, it's headed in the right direction I guess, but I'll continue with chrome. Adding a new search engine or changing the default is completely unintuitive (you have to navigate to the search engine first before the settings page will let you add it, contrast this to chrome which simply lets you type the url). Once you have changed the default search from bing to google, using the 'search my computer or the internet' search bar cortana thing (bottom left beside start ) still launches edge searching via bing.
Security Certificate issues simply display a message telling me there is a trust issue and to close the site immediately, contrast this to chrome which has allows advanced users to download the certificate for installation if desired. etc etc.

- The search itself feels more restricted/limited than windows 8/8.1 (which is something I really loved using). Not sure whether this is being improved via updates or if the search learns based on my use. For example when initially searching for something like windows updates, it was returning no results. After navigating there and installing some updates the search now returns a result. I can't remember a better example for now because I usually wind up grumbling a bit and then just navigating there another way.

I'll add some of the things I've enjoyed about it so far a bit later, better do some more work for now.