Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Funny news stories

Post by The Nickman »

Glad to live up to your expectations, Luce
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:Why bother with a trial when they have been trialled and scrapped in other parts of the country? If they insist on a trial why do the trial during the busiest family time of the year. The place is literally teaming with families at the moment. Why not do it an equally busy but far more gross time of year such as schoolies, when no self-respecting individual would set foot in Surfers?
Is it true that they've been scrapped elsewhere?

They've been installed in cities all over the world. From what I have read the mobile versions are used in areas as a trial first, and if successful are sometimes replaced by the ones that pop up out of the ground, like the ones in London mentioned earlier.

I just read they have the pop up ones in Adelaide. Perhaps Lucy can advise us as to which type are in Kings Cross.

Edit: If I recall correctly, these were trialled in Canberra recently too.
Last edited by bileduct on January 5, 2015, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

The Nickman wrote:
bileduct wrote:
Lucy wrote:Hell, my bathroom is no more than 3 metres away from the end of my bed and yet I still go outside and pee on the neighbours front windows.
We could be the same person...
That's what I've been trying to tell everybody!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Outdoor urinals prove popular with city revelers

Traders will be consulted before Canberra CBD commits to the permanent installation of outdoor urinals in the city centre after a successful trial at late-night hotspots.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2h6s9.html
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Thankyou whoever fixed that up.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Sydney one was scrapped. It would seem that the Canberra one did not become a regular fixture.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Come on dude, it's pretty clear you don't really know much about these things at all.

Outdoors urinals are currently included in the City of Sydney public toilet strategy. You can find it here -> http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/__da ... dopted.pdf.

They are currently looking at transitioning to the more permanent pop up urinals.

From page 10,
Public urination

Public urination is a part of broader anti-social behaviour problems occurring in parts of the CBD and entertainment precincts at night. Urination in public areas does not necessarily indicate the need for more localised public toilets, and often easy-to-find public toilets will help – especially at night in entertainment precincts.

Since 2011 the City has been installing temporary outdoor urinals at popular night time precincts including George Street; Oxford Street; Kings Cross and Woolloomooloo. Portable urinals and inclusive access porta-loos are installed on Friday and Saturday nights during summer months from approximately 10pm until approximately 7am the following morning.

The portable units have been well used and well received and have reduced antisocial behaviour such as public urination. During peak nights and seasons the City will continue to deploy portable urinals to manage increased crowds in late night areas, and is investigating options to recycle waste collected from portable urinals.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

My mistake! The news articles that I have read on this suggest that people in Sydney were horrified and it was likely to be discontinued. An article from the UK was titled along the lines of "Only on the Gold Coast". Can anyone confirm that they are still in use in Sydney? What about Canberra? I stand by my statement that the positioning of them and manner in which they are displayed is gross. Have a look at the bottom right of this photo.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

All of those guys look seedy as ****
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What the **** is the bloke on the right in the Santa hat doing?!?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Number 2s?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Every one of those three guys should be arrested and deadset never allowed out in public again.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

WHY IS THAT GUY DOING NUMBER 2'S?!?!?!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

When ya gotta go ya gotta go !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Where are midgets meant to go?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I can't get over that picture. Is it supposed to be pro or against the public urinals??
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:My mistake! The news articles that I have read on this suggest that people in Sydney were horrified and it was likely to be discontinued. An article from the UK was titled along the lines of "Only on the Gold Coast". Can anyone confirm that they are still in use in Sydney? What about Canberra? I stand by my statement that the positioning of them and manner in which they are displayed is gross. Have a look at the bottom right of this photo.

Oh no, somebody think of the childrens!

I'm sure there'll be a complaint about women being offended next, who usually don't mind going into the men's toilets to avoid the line up for their own.

The Daily Mail article you are referring to was written by an Australian journalist and, in between all the wowser comments, is this:
Mamabear, Up North, United Kingdom, 1 week ago

This isn't new - I saw something very similar in London years ago.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That photo offends me. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with all three of those guys, bileduct?? Why is the third guy taking a dump in a urinal??
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Funny news stories

Post by Raider Bell »

And why is that little kid staring at him? Nosy bugger, a man can't even crap in peace these days.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well I'm guessing the kid thinks it's Santa

Or one of his elves.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:My mistake! The news articles that I have read on this suggest that people in Sydney were horrified and it was likely to be discontinued. An article from the UK was titled along the lines of "Only on the Gold Coast". Can anyone confirm that they are still in use in Sydney? What about Canberra? I stand by my statement that the positioning of them and manner in which they are displayed is gross. Have a look at the bottom right of this photo.

Oh no, somebody think of the childrens!

I'm sure there'll be a complaint about women being offended next, who usually don't mind going into the men's toilets to avoid the line up for their own.

The Daily Mail article you are referring to was written by an Australian journalist and, in between all the wowser comments, is this:
Mamabear, Up North, United Kingdom, 1 week ago

This isn't new - I saw something very similar in London years ago.
I'll make two comments. Firstly if you are reading the comments section on all the articles surrounding this, you have far too much time on my hands. Secondly, if you don't find that picture distasteful and on some level offensive, we are never going to come to a mutual view on this topic.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There is something seriously wrong with that picture
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Dr Zaius wrote:I'll make two comments. Firstly if you are reading the comments section on all the articles surrounding this, you have far too much time on my hands. Secondly, if you don't find that picture distasteful and on some level offensive, we are never going to come to a mutual view on this topic.
Come on, good doctor, I'm sure you can find better ways of presenting your argument than dishing out petty insults.

I'm sorry, but I don't find the picture offensive at all.

Should I?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yes. Yes you should. The photo is both deeply offensive and disturbing

WHAT IS THE GUY IN THE SANTA HAT DOING?!?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Come on mate you're from Rocky I've seen worse during the day on East st up there.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bileduct wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I'll make two comments. Firstly if you are reading the comments section on all the articles surrounding this, you have far too much time on my hands. Secondly, if you don't find that picture distasteful and on some level offensive, we are never going to come to a mutual view on this topic.
Come on, good doctor, I'm sure you can find better ways of presenting your argument than dishing out petty insults.

I'm sorry, but I don't find the picture offensive at all.

Should I?
Sorry, it wasn't meant to be an insult. The first comment was in jest. The second I genuinely meant. I find that photo quite distasteful. If we can't agree on that, we might as well admit that we won't agree on anything about this subject and move on.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Do you think you'd find it equally distasteful and offensive if you were walking through that area at 2am and saw that?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What's wrong with portadunny's or you know.. Building more toilets
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Tim W wrote:What's wrong with portadunny's or you know.. Building more toilets
Porta loo's as they say can be tipped over easily and I guarantee they would be, building more toilets takes up more space in I'm guessing already packed areas.

If they pop up only between around 10pm till 5am they'd be acceptable if the alternative was people pissing on shops. Theres a shop on Adelaide st in Brisbane that the homeless people used to piss on at night, the place stunk to walk past during the day.
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

For both it's probably a cost/effectiveness issue. I mean, unless I am mistaken, the businesses are complaining about public urination and not ol' mate laying a cable on Oporto's welcome mat (which Oporto deserve, quite frankly). These things look much cheaper to manufacture and maintain than portadunnies, and both would be a fraction of the cost of permanent facilities.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:
Porta loo's as they say can be tipped over easily and I guarantee they would be, building more toilets takes up more space in I'm guessing already packed areas.

If they pop up only between around 10pm till 5am they'd be acceptable if the alternative was people pissing on shops. Theres a shop on Adelaide st in Brisbane that the homeless people used to piss on at night, the place stunk to walk past during the day.
Maybe the alternative is to enforce current licensing laws and start fining the hundreds of pubs and clubs who continue to serve intoxicated people before letting them loose to behave like animals.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The basic concept seems right, it just needs some refinements in order to frustrate ****heads such as the three pictured. Probably as simple as increasing the size of the door.
Speaking of small doors on a loo reminds me of a time when I was in a restaurant in France where the loo was down a steep set of stairs, unisex, and with a half height door. I was desperate to do a No2, so down I went and as I was about half way through the process down the stairs came a young woman who, seeing the only throne was occupied didn't retreat as I expected but stood there waiting, staring me in the eye. I found it very difficult to complete the operation in those circumstances!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Cranky Old Man wrote:The basic concept seems right, it just needs some refinements in order to frustrate ****heads such as the three pictured. Probably as simple as increasing the size of the door.
Speaking of small doors on a loo reminds me of a time when I was in a restaurant in France where the loo was down a steep set of stairs, unisex, and with a half height door. I was desperate to do a No2, so down I went and as I was about half way through the process down the stairs came a young woman who, seeing the only throne was occupied didn't retreat as I expected but stood there waiting, staring me in the eye. I found it very difficult to complete the operation in those circumstances!
Did you get her number?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You don't want to know what he wrote it in
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Cranky Old Man wrote:The basic concept seems right, it just needs some refinements in order to frustrate ****heads such as the three pictured. Probably as simple as increasing the size of the door.
Did you get her number?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.