The Politics Thread 2014

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Cranky Old Man »

That Leyjonhelm (sp?) bloke is a strict believer in minimal regulation of any kind, which is why he believes gun regulation is bad.
Blokes like him will never admit it, but Somalia is the practical result of policies espoused by minimalist libertarians like he and his fellow travellers.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Our current system is ok but we need an adjustment IMO. I would like to see ballot initiatives at State and Territory level and perhaps even Federally. Voters would need to petition the government with the signatures of 2.5% of the electorate. Each initiative would go before a constitutional panel to ensure the laws if enacted would be constitutional. Provided this criteria was achieved they would go to a ballot where a simple majority would see the initiative passed into law.

It would not be a perfect solution but it would add something much needed to our current system where the deep pockets of a few have far more influence than the electorate. It is absurd that issues that enjoy considerably more than 50% support from the community can't get passed into law because our elected representatives are more concerned with representing the interests of their financial supporters.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

That stinks, GeM!

I prefer the papabear system
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The Nickman wrote:That stinks, GeM!

But with ballot initiatives you could petition the government to make voting voluntary. You wouldn't have to waste your precious time drawing male genitalia on your ballot paper.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
The Nickman wrote:That stinks, GeM!

But with ballot initiatives you could petition the government to make voting voluntary. You wouldn't have to waste your precious time drawing male genitalia on your ballot paper.
Yeah... that was brilliant, wasn't it??

Good times.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So you voted for Abbott then? No wait Gillard? I'm so confused.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I voted for you, Zaius

I voted for you
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So you're saying you drew quite a large picture?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It was the entire green sheet, yes
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

:lol:
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Our current system is ok but we need an adjustment IMO. I would like to see ballot initiatives at State and Territory level and perhaps even Federally. Voters would need to petition the government with the signatures of 2.5% of the electorate. Each initiative would go before a constitutional panel to ensure the laws if enacted would be constitutional. Provided this criteria was achieved they would go to a ballot where a simple majority would see the initiative passed into law.

It would not be a perfect solution but it would add something much needed to our current system where the deep pockets of a few have far more influence than the electorate. It is absurd that issues that enjoy considerably more than 50% support from the community can't get passed into law because our elected representatives are more concerned with representing the interests of their financial supporters.
Be good for some issues that are black and white like gay marriage but some other issues the devil is in the detail, whoever comes up with the actual laws could sabotage them quite easily.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Merry Xmas from Tone!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion ... 7167348098

It HAS been an oddly polarised year in the media, with loathing for the nasty Right replacing contempt for the incompetent Left. I wonder if there has ever been a time that the Australian media, newspapers (and the ABC) particularly, felt so free to blatantly pick sides?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

This isn't entirely about Politics.. It's a look at 2014 which sadly I agree a lot with.. Will give a warning that some of it is pretty dark as indicated by the title.

2014: **** Was **** Up and Bull

https://medium.com/@asher_wolf/2014-shi ... e1e700601b
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:This isn't entirely about Politics.. It's a look at 2014 which sadly I agree a lot with.. Will give a warning that some of it is pretty dark as indicated by the title.

What a heart warming and cheery read that was :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

GST on Internet purchases, I think that guarantees a one term government.

It's like they sit around thinking of ways to piss people off.
Last edited by Shadow Boxer on December 27, 2014, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Pffffffft, you could say that about every year since the dawn of humanity if you just want to focus on the negatives

At least in 2014 you're free to complain just how awful your life is from the comfort of your home
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What a knob :lol:

You can almost see him sobbing into his FreeTradeMacrobioticSoyMilkLatte.

You know what he can be thankful for in 2014? In the past, he'd have been standing on a street corner trying to hand out poorly photocopied leaflets of his little manifesto to deeply bored passers-by; today, he can publish it to the world and have it actually considered on rugby league forums.

The internet has truly democratised snivelling wankerdom.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I know, right?? This poor guy has it so, so tough as he types his blog probably into his laptop or iPad and bemoans the loss of society. I mean, 100 years ago the poor guy would've been so free, wouldn't he??

Just before he was shipped out to the great war.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I actually think a tariff /gst on internet shopping is a good idea.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

What has been suggested is applying the GST to overseas online purchases. I don't have a problem with the idea but I can't see it working effectively in practice.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Is it still the plan that's going to cost a lot more money than it's going to make?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

T_R wrote:http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion ... 7167348098

It HAS been an oddly polarised year in the media, with loathing for the nasty Right replacing contempt for the incompetent Left. I wonder if there has ever been a time that the Australian media, newspapers (and the ABC) particularly, felt so free to blatantly pick sides?
Probably not. It's almost impossible to get an apolitical analysis on any public policy in the general media these days. Rubbish opinion pieces like this don't help.
"Cate Blanchett puts in an Oscar-worthy performance at Gough Whitlam’s memorial service."
Classy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

@ABCNewsBrisbane: #BREAKING: @CliveFPalmer announced John Bjelke-Petersen as the party’s leader in #Qld ahead of the next state election #qldpol
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Apparently Finland does not exist.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... ?context=2

Completely rational.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

A former Labor MP has suggested no contraception no dole
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's going to end badly for him
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

In theory I don't mind the idea, easy to get around though just claim to be catholic since contraceptives are against their religious beliefs (hardcore Catholics).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Personally I think they should sterilize the whole population and people should apply for children, but I know the masses will disagree heavily
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

The Nickman wrote:Personally I think they should sterilize the whole population and people should apply for children, but I know the masses will disagree heavily
Apply for being allowed to have children? Absolutely!

There are rules and regulations around purchasing dogs and breeding them which do not exist for humans which I think should.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

So they would employ people to watch those on the doll ****?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hanbush will do it for free
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Schifty wrote:This isn't entirely about Politics.. It's a look at 2014 which sadly I agree a lot with.. Will give a warning that some of it is pretty dark as indicated by the title.

Sorry, but this **** article was **** up and Bull.
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Couldn't agree more, bileduct. It's the classic case of the over-privileged social media soldier with the whole "oh woe is me" attitude

Posted while enjoying his soy latte and living off unemployment benefits no doubt
bileduct
Brett Mullins

Post by bileduct »

Asher Wolf is a woman, but otherwise yeah.

She lists her occupation as a freelance journalist, which isn't all that surprising given her **** writing.

It's probably the kind of crap that appears in Green Left Weekly.
2014 Golden Boogs Award Winner