Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Professor »

T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote:Actually it isn't TR, I get on great with kids (probably to do with being a big kid myself). I'm probably one of the safest people you could leave someone vulnerable with, I'd die for those in my care before I'd let anything happen to them.
I like you, Manbush. You seem like a decent guy.

If you came within 30 meters of my children, I'd have you killed.
Bahahahahahahahahahaha oh, man, you ***** are killing me
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

You seriously can't make this **** up.

Kudos to the writers of the Greenhouse series. They've really outdone themselves this episode.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Mate, I haven't laughed out loud for ages like I just did over yours and T_Rs posts.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mate, it's Hanbush that provides the lols. The rest of us are just spectators in his glorious game.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:Mate, it's Hanbush that provides the lols. The rest of us are just spectators in his glorious game.
Not just for you guys, just had a random young lady come up to me in the shopping centre to tell me I had a "kick me" sign on my back, revenge will be sweet :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I have legitmately laughed out loud about 5-6 times today just from remembering that Manbush wanted to be a primary school teacher. It's like... well i dont even know if there is an appropriate analogy
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

There's nothing. Just enjoy the moment.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This thread just got real!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

MB become a teacher prove the world wrong.

That said their is a huge difference between looking after kids for a little bit and being responsible for them for 6 hours a day and having to ensure they learn what your selling.

the first one is always fun, the second I imagine can get a bit tiring on someone who doesn't absolutely love it.

That said don't let me discourage you, go do it, get the kids playing rugby league!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:MB become a teacher prove the world wrong.
As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing short of conspiracy to commit a crime.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Sex party have won a seat in Victorian legislative council :lol:

Fun times ahead!

A group called 'Vote 1 local jobs' also got it.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Sounds like he has a few Associate Diplomas in Arts.

Although no form of education can quite prepare you for the real world like a few anecdotes from some whacky mates and good ol' Google.
ImageImageImageImageImage
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:Sex party have won a seat in Victorian legislative council :lol:

Fun times ahead!

A group called 'Vote 1 local jobs' also got it.
Cool I voted for them last election (Sex Party), their policies are actually quite good it's just a shame the name will make people take them less seriously.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:Cool I voted for them last election (Sex Party)
Of course you ****ing did, Hanbush.

Of course you ****ing did.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Check out their policies mate they're good ones, cover all the generic equal rights, anti discrimation, but also pro euthanasia, regulating and taxing weed, secular education, taxing religion and a few others, the name will hider their potential though unfortunately.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Then change their ****ing name
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

The Nickman wrote:Then change their ****ing name
And risk losing votes from the people who get a good chuckle out of it?
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Toviii wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Then change their ****ing name
And risk losing votes from the people who get a good chuckle out of it?
That's the thing, the name was a good one to start for the novelty votes but if they actually want to achieve anything they'll be pushing **** up hill unless people look past their name.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

School Chaplaincy gets funding increase :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Wonder how much money Joe is getting slipped on the side for that one :roll:
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I reckon tiny Abbott is so close to the point where people just stop listening. Once that happens there is no way back.

He needs to do something really quickly for Howard's battlers who voted him in
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Shadow Boxer wrote:I reckon tiny Abbott is so close to the point where people just stop listening. Once that happens there is no way back.

TBH, he might already be there.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Pigman wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:I reckon tiny Abbott is so close to the point where people just stop listening. Once that happens there is no way back.

I think the whole 'shirtfronting' stuff secured that.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I don't expect Abbott to last all the way to the next election. He'll probably be punted and whoever takes over the Liberal Party will win the next election.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Schifty wrote:
Pigman wrote:

I think the whole 'shirtfronting' stuff secured that.

that was one of the most over blown non events in recent political history.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

yeh raiders wrote:I don't expect Abbott to last all the way to the next election. He'll probably be punted and whoever takes over the Liberal Party will win the next election.
I never expected him to last this long though :doubt:
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I think he'll see it out. Labor gave a 101 on how to not present your party last election.

Surely lessons were learnt on both sides from it. Surely.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote:

I reckon he's already there.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

They all stink.(politicians)

They promise stuff to get in and then BAM, lie and back peddle until they are sacked.
Then as a sweetener they sit on a backbench and earn a fortune with a huge @and$? eating grin on their face.

Can't stand pollies, don't follow it, don't vote.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider Bell wrote:I think he'll see it out. Labor gave a 101 on how to not present your party last election.

Surely lessons were learnt on both sides from it. Surely.
Considering labor restructured their whole policy on leadership to stop that from being as easy as getting the numbers
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

green94 wrote:They all stink.(politicians)

They promise stuff to get in and then BAM, lie and back peddle until they are sacked.
Then as a sweetener they sit on a backbench and earn a fortune with a huge @and$? eating grin on their face.

Can't stand pollies, don't follow it, don't vote.
Ross Gittens had a good article today. Well worth a read. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... 2828s.html
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Considering the negativity of politics these days combined with the fact that we are compelled to vote or fined.

IMO they should change the preferential voting system away from voting for you like, to voting for who you dislike the most.

Sort of like survivor, most votes gorne.

I don't imagine it would change the scene that much but it would make for a much more honest system of where we are at. As a nation it is just a battle to get everyone to dislike the other side the most. And to be honest it appears to be the only message that the political parties can sell on mass "ie dislike the other side".

TBH I am thinking a vote to the crudely named party in the upcoming nsw election atleast for the senate is the way to go for me this year.)
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Also what is with senator david ljeXXx;obnf;ergn after reading his comments about gun rights, I thought that guy has got to be from QLD, but the idiot is from NSW.

I don't understand how any rational minded person could honestly buy an argument that more guns will equal less gun violence..

The best argument I can think pro guns could make is that perhaps in the Wild Wild West where everyone is armed to the teeth it may be over a whole lot quicker because there is less of an imbalance in power. But even then, you can rest assured that a whole lot more damage and incidences would occur under that situation. IMO Tony Abbott and the greens are correct in that they need to make sure the currently laws are working as intended and if anything make them harsher.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

So if Libs and Labor supporters voted for each other, and PUP party got no votes, they'd be in power? No Thankyou good sir.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Raider Bell wrote:So if Libs and Labor supporters voted for each other, and PUP party got no votes, they'd be in power? No Thankyou good sir.
retaining the same preferential structure.

And I think you will find under a different structure, labor and libs would spend some of their money selling the weakness of any minor party who is a threat to them.

They want power, last thing they would do is give it to someone they perceive as drastically weaker then them.

For instance say you have pup labor and the libs going for a liberal seat and the voting would be as follows:-

Labour - 10 (1) 2 (2) 8 (3)
Pup - 4 (1) 13 (2) 3 (3)
Liberal - 6 (1) 5(2) 9(3)

Labour would be the first to go with the most people on them.
Then Pup after dropping preferences leaving the libs to win.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm down with the papabear System!