The Politics Thread 2014

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Manbush »

Say what? How is that the governments fault, shouldn't we be taking Islam to task over their child brides?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Anyone know if this is genuine or a pisstake?

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncatego ... community/
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

It's a satirical website.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Putting that story about Waters on the front page is the ultimate distraction game plan for News Ltd and their mate Mr. 33%..
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Toviii wrote:It's a satirical website.
:lol:

Thought it smelt fishy.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manbush wrote:Say what? How is that the governments fault, shouldn't we be taking Islam to task over their child brides?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/n ... ed/5932622

FTR Child brides are a cultural problem not a religious problem.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

"Islamic Council of New South Wales chairman Khaled Sukkerieh said while he does not know about the case, any alleged act is illegal and against the Muslim faith.

"Islamically (sic) that's not acceptable and we don't know anything about the case, but on the face of it a nine-year-old hasn't got the mental capacity or the age to marry herself off or to consent to a marriage," he said."

He should really read about his prophet. :lol:

Cultural, religious, can be one of the same when a culture is based on a religion. When the prophet of your religion marries a 6year old it kinda points to it being ok if you're a fundamentalist.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

That's disgraceful but not surprising at all.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm surprised Manbush missed his calling as a Catholic priest to be honest.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Just wondering, do these religious colleges pay taxes?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... 20a3c.html

Did you vote for this MB?
Think I'd find it even more disgraceful than you do mate, I'm against the public funding any religion without the choice to refuse.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

David Leyonhjelm told Bill Heffernan to **** off after he called him a terrorist for saying MPs should actually be allowed to think fro themselves and vote on the marriage equality bill :lol:

Well played to him!

Oh and ACT will have a new chief minister in Andrew Barr after katy Gallagher announced she is running for senate
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

So in response to Target withrdrawing GTA for violence against women this petition has sprung up.

Withdraw The Holy Bible – this sickening book encourages readers to commit sexual violence and kill women

https://www.change.org/p/target-withdra ... kill-women

*signed*

20,000 signatures in 24 hours :)
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... 20a3c.html

Did you vote for this MB?
Wow, that is poor.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Impeaching Australia's George W Bush

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 23894.html
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

A good read....

Abbott is a convenient scapegoat, but it is no good trying to pretend that we didn't elect him, or his predecessors. We are the ones who are choosing the governments, and the political types, that we deserve. We are the mugs who willingly suspended disbelief when told things that, with hindsight, were simply incredible.

The disillusion of Australians with politics, exemplified in the current comic-opera Senate house, is in fact a symptom of a deeper malaise. A nation that has lost its way. A people who, basking in wealth for which few of them had to work, have simply lost the knack of making it or of sharing it even relatively equitably.

There's no easy or polite way to put this, so I'll just say it anyway: Australians today are too intellectually lazy, too politically incompetent and too commercially gutless to be front runners in what is becoming one of the world's most spectacular boom industries: renewable energy.

We have brilliant scientists and engineers who put us at the very forefront, technologically speaking – while the rest of us are mostly slumped in our armchairs, swilling booze and trying to catch type 2 diabetes from fast food. Spectators, rather than participants, in the human race. Spectators with strongly held opinions about everything, and bugger-all facts. Are you amazed that we choose politicians who resemble us?

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment ... 22ikf.html
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Actually, I increasingly think the problem is that we look to our politicians as leaders rather than managers, which is what they've become.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Problem is GEM all politicians are the same, full of **** lying mother ****.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote:Problem is GEM all politicians are the same, full of **** lying mother ****.
Politicians lie because people believe them when they do.

This is a perfect example of the simple lies politicians get away with because they can.

In response to the governments plans to block access to sites that might facilitate copyright breeches

"This is not, repeat, not an internet filter," Turnbull said when asked if it contradicted the Coalition's policy of not supporting an internet filter.

"There's no internet filter here at all. What on earth are you talking about?"

It was "nonsense" and "complete BS" to suggest blocking websites was a filter, he said.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on December 11, 2014, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I wonder. I don't know anyone who actually believed Abbott's PPL scheme would ever see the light of day

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Manbush wrote:Problem is GEM all politicians are the same, full of **** lying mother ****.
Politicians lie because people believe them when they do.
Yes and no, we want to believe but deep down we all know they're just saying whatever it takes to get elected, we just hope they keep some of their promises. Guessing it's been like that since the birth of democracy.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

I don't think many people trust politicians at all.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:A good read....

Abbott is a convenient scapegoat, but it is no good trying to pretend that we didn't elect him, or his predecessors. We are the ones who are choosing the governments, and the political types, that we deserve. We are the mugs who willingly suspended disbelief when told things that, with hindsight, were simply incredible.

The disillusion of Australians with politics, exemplified in the current comic-opera Senate house, is in fact a symptom of a deeper malaise. A nation that has lost its way. A people who, basking in wealth for which few of them had to work, have simply lost the knack of making it or of sharing it even relatively equitably.

There's no easy or polite way to put this, so I'll just say it anyway: Australians today are too intellectually lazy, too politically incompetent and too commercially gutless to be front runners in what is becoming one of the world's most spectacular boom industries: renewable energy.

We have brilliant scientists and engineers who put us at the very forefront, technologically speaking – while the rest of us are mostly slumped in our armchairs, swilling booze and trying to catch type 2 diabetes from fast food. Spectators, rather than participants, in the human race. Spectators with strongly held opinions about everything, and bugger-all facts. Are you amazed that we choose politicians who resemble us?

Unfortunately, this is pretty much how I feel about our society now.

We're fat, lazy, overpaid and self-entitled, myself included.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I did, not in the same form, but I figured a watered down version of it should get through.

Otherwise he was voted in on absolutely nothing... It was the only substantive change he was offering.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

The Nickman wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:A good read....

Unfortunately, this is pretty much how I feel about our society now.

We're fat, lazy, overpaid and self-entitled, myself included.
He didn't call you a bum, he called you a sponge.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:[l
.We're fat, lazy, overpaid and self-entitled, myself included.
Speak for yourself, I may be fat and lazy but not over paid or self-entitled.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's no way I'm a sponge, I pay more tax than most people earn. Sponges are the likes of GeM's mates who expect the Government to pay for everything for them.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:[l
.We're fat, lazy, overpaid and self-entitled, myself included.
Speak for yourself, I may be fat and lazy but not over paid or self-entitled.
... and a creep, and a pedo, but I am NOT a pornstar!
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Not professional anyway
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:There's no way I'm a sponge, I pay more tax than most people earn. Sponges are the likes of GeM's mates who expect the Government to pay for everything for them.
You see, that's where you fall down.

According to GEM earlier this week, it makes no difference what you pay, it's how much you take out that defines you as a leech.

His level of financial understanding also explains why he thinks Greens policies are a good idea.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just have no idea how the Left expects us all to live in this Utopian society where the Government pays for everything.