Blackfish

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Blackfish

Post by Professor »

A documentary I've just watched on killer whales kept in captivity at sea world in various parts of the US and also within Spain. It focuses quite a bit on the deaths of a few trainers and sea world's alleged attempts to either keep them secret or manufacture less contentious stories regarding the manner in which the trainers were killed.

Has anyone else seen it?
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Re: Blackfish

Post by Manchild »

Yeah the one with Tilikum. Absolutely amazing doco. The disgusting way that Seaworld covered the incidents up are atrocious.

There is some terrifying footage.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

I'm just reading some more news on it now and it seems, as a result of the documentary, that some high profile people and organisations have discontinued their relationships with sea world.

Sure, there's always two sides to every story, but the evidence within the documentary appears quite unambiguous, doesn't it. Furthermore, the documentary was released in '13 and, from what I've found (or not found) through looking around on the net tonight, it doesn't appear as if sea world has really 'returned served' in the public domain. It does, however, continue to fight the courts to have overturned the decision to no longer allow trainers in the water.

Interesting and quite sad documentary, nonetheless.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

If you're interested about marine live stories I suggest this.

http://www.goweirdfacts.com/scientist-g ... glish.html

There was a whole podcast on this Scientist Lilly.. Actually fascinating (and disturbing) listening.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:If you're interested about marine live stories I suggest this.

There was a whole podcast on this Scientist Lilly.. Actually fascinating (and disturbing) listening.
Are you taking the piss? I just reached for the headphones but before I could put them in my ears I read the opening line...

Edit - I've just read some more and, yeah, nah, that's a little bit too disturbing for me :lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Raider 85 wrote:
Schifty wrote:If you're interested about marine live stories I suggest this.

Are you taking the piss? I just reached for the headphones but before I could put them in my ears I read the opening line...

Edit - I've just read some more and, yeah, nah, that's a little bit too disturbing for me :lol:
http://podbay.fm/show/643055307/e/14028 ... utostart=1

It's actually hilarious :lol:

It's not all about Dolphin Handjobs.. He started out taking Acid then getting into flotation tanks.

Government funding for all this btw :lol:

The Dollop is an amazing podcast btw, there's a recent episode about a 1900s baseball pitcher who was really good.. But easily distracted..

E.g.

Would rock up 5 min before a game, walk through the crowd and swig beer and get into fights with fans

*every time a fire truck went past he would chase it.

*If Somebody held up a puppy in the crowd he would run up and pat it.

*Was once fired from a contract 2 days after signing it for excessive drinking.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Animal cruelty is abhorrant in all its forms and I find it fascinating that inflicing physical pain on animals is considered cruel but inflicting a lifetime of emotional pain on an intelligent animal is considered entertainment.

Still, there is some interesting legal work being done in the US through the Nonhuman rights project. They aim to establish common law rights for animals like Orca's, Higher order primates and Elephants.

They believe that keeping animals like Chimps and Orca's in captivity is cruel and inhumane and corporations shouldn't be able to profit from torturing animals anymore than they would be able to profit form torturing human beings.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Intelligent is right - from what I've read overnight with regards to a killer whale's brain - my god.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Watched the trailer to Blackfish......it looked intense!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

dubby wrote:Watched the trailer to Blackfish......it looked intense!
I found it on line this morning for free (the day after I hired the DVD - imagine my surprise) - just google blackfish documentary and click on the touch.dailymotion one.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Thanks mate - I wanted to add the link myself but I always add videos incorrectly, and I'm too stupid to know what I'm doing wrong, why the mods change it and what I have to do to ensure I do it correctly :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Animal cruelty is abhorrant in all its forms and I find it fascinating that inflicing physical pain on animals is considered cruel but inflicting a lifetime of emotional pain on an intelligent animal is considered entertainment.

Still, there is some interesting legal work being done in the US through the Nonhuman rights project. They aim to establish common law rights for animals like Orca's, Higher order primates and Elephants.

They believe that keeping animals like Chimps and Orca's in captivity is cruel and inhumane and corporations shouldn't be able to profit from torturing animals anymore than they would be able to profit form torturing human beings.
Could you be any more self righteous? :lol:

I'm going to order myself a huge plate of Orca sashimi in Japan next month, and dedicate it to you.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.