2014 Rd 20 V Rabbitohs: Game Day and Post Match

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and South Sydney Rabbitohs?

Raiders 13+
No votes
Raiders 1-12
11%
Draw
No votes
Rabbitohs 1-12
No votes
Rabbitohs 13+
89%

Total votes: 9

rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Re: 2014 Rd 20 V Rabbitohs: Game Day and Post Match

Post by rolhai »

Hbomb wrote:
rolhai wrote:I see it more like the players are trying to play to Stuart's game plan and getting smashed then throwing caution to the wind when the game is done and dusted and playing their own style
might wanna change that sig mate
Heh, I'm on tapatalk so often I forget about it
1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

rolhai wrote:I see it more like the players are trying to play to Stuart's game plan and getting smashed then throwing caution to the wind when the game is done and dusted and playing their own style
Furner and Stuart have both seemed to advocate a rigid low risk grinding game plan. It hasn't worked and it won't work with these players. They aren't good enough to play predictably and get away with that.

If you're going to drop the ball passing one out to a forward then you might as well drop the ball trying some fancy **** that the opposition aren't expecting.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote:
Furner and Stuart have both seemed to advocate a rigid low risk grinding game plan. It hasn't worked and it won't work with these players. They aren't good enough to play predictably and get away with that.

If you're going to drop the ball passing one out to a forward then you might as well drop the ball trying some fancy **** that the opposition aren't expecting.
Also, if your going to flat out stink
why not stink trying to give the few fans you have left some genuine enjoyment, rather than boring them out of their wits
Last edited by Botman on July 28, 2014, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Exactly, those tries were nice hey? :)
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Pigman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Also, if your going to flat out stink
why not stink trying to give the few fans you have left some genuine enjoyment, rather than boring them out of their wits
This.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

We are legitimately terrible at everything. Our defence stinks, our attack is pedestrian, our kicking game awful, our mental fortitude non-existent, coaching is predictably horrible, our kids are worse off than they were last year. We should be a lock for the spoon and its not even close. Sides just rock up in Canberra, roll the arm over and win with ease. It's mind-boggling how terrible we are.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Great stat padding at the end of the game.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Michael wrote:We are legitimately terrible at everything. Our defence stinks, our attack is pedestrian, our kicking game awful, our mental fortitude non-existent, coaching is predictably horrible, our kids are worse off than they were last year. We should be a lock for the spoon and its not even close. Sides just rock up in Canberra, roll the arm over and win with ease. It's mind-boggling how terrible we are.
Summed up nicely.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

You know the worst thing? Mccrone will be there again next week after that last 10
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

dubby wrote:
Michael wrote:We are legitimately terrible at everything. Our defence stinks, our attack is pedestrian, our kicking game awful, our mental fortitude non-existent, coaching is predictably horrible, our kids are worse off than they were last year. We should be a lock for the spoon and its not even close. Sides just rock up in Canberra, roll the arm over and win with ease. It's mind-boggling how terrible we are.
Summed up nicely.
We stunk out the joint last year, and I honestly cannot think of a single area of the game in which Stuart has made us better. Having Cornish rot in the reggies while McCrone is throwing no-look passes to Sam **** Burgess just sums up what an absolute disgrace of a coach he is. He'll win wooden spoon with three different clubs, and that's how he should be remembered. A ridiculous buffoon of a man and a garbage coach.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Stuart's record spoke for itself, and yet we still hired him. Not convinced this year would've been better under another coach, but at least another coach might have prepared us better for next year...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
bro_shoppe
David Shillington
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by bro_shoppe »

Pigman wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:Comments are regularly being made about the players needing to be more accountable, and here we are blaming a rubbish performance on a decision to go up 2 nil early on.
No one is blaming this performance on that decision
People are saying this decision is indictative of the idiotic decisions makers at the helm of this football club. And when you've got people running, coaching and guiding your footy side who show such an astounding lack of footballing nous, it generally means your football side is not going to be very good.

We are a dumb football team, defensively, offensively, and in decision making. At every level.
That's why we see these performances, and decision to take the two early crystallizes that point.
I've watched this team over the last 27 years and, lately, they have had the ability to meet and match it with the best teams in the comp. and just as you get some confidence in them, and dare to suggest that they it is trophy material, it gets flogged by a "lesser" team. Talent can't just disappear in a week or a fortnight. Enthusiasm can. Trust in fellow players can. Confidence can. Willpower can. So what and who can fix this? Our best player week after week never changes. It's Crokes, bless his little Crookwell soul. In other teams the honours are usually shared amongst the top half a dozen players, at least, week by week. On the one hand I hope that the players and staff have a look at the comments made by the fans on The Greenhouse, in the hope that they take notice. On the other hand I hope that they don't, because it would be a little debilitating to read the derogatory comments of the fans. I've probably said enough tonight, as a beginner. I coped a spray off some person earlier for suggesting that our boys' effort was rubbish.
Sorry, all I wanted to say was that I really didn't think the team was rubbish, or dumb, or incompetent. Their playing was.
Last edited by bro_shoppe on July 28, 2014, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Michael wrote:
dubby wrote:
Summed up nicely.
We stunk out the joint last year, and I honestly cannot think of a single area of the game in which Stuart has made us better. Having Cornish rot in the reggies while McCrone is throwing no-look passes to Sam **** Burgess just sums up what an absolute disgrace of a coach he is. He'll win wooden spoon with three different clubs, and that's how he should be remembered. A ridiculous buffoon of a man and a garbage coach.
Half of me believes this, but the 10 year old kid who used to watch him play in me refuses to accept it.

He gets another year for me, but gee he's going to have to pull something out of the hat.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

McCrone and Milford were horrendous tonight then both switched it on in the last 6 mins.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I remember telling people 10 years ago that Stuart would go down at the greatest coach of all time. He was such an amazingly smart and brilliant player, it was impossible for me not to believe that would translate to the coaching world
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

T_R wrote:
Michael wrote:
dubby wrote:
Summed up nicely.
Half of me believes this, but the 10 year old kid who used to watch him play in me refuses to accept it.

He gets another year for me, but gee he's going to have to pull something out of the hat.
He's a joke. It's the Emperor with no clothes. Every single piece of evidence shows that he is clearly an absolutely garbage coach. Even if you say he WAS good at the Roosters, he's been dismal for 10 years now. His teams have the rare distinction of being utterly terrible, and soul-crushingly boring. Watching him coach this team makes me sick.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

I'll bet my left nad that there won't be any team changes
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Michael wrote: We stunk out the joint last year, and I honestly cannot think of a single area of the game in which Stuart has made us better. Having Cornish rot in the reggies while McCrone is throwing no-look passes to Sam **** Burgess just sums up what an absolute disgrace of a coach he is. He'll win wooden spoon with three different clubs, and that's how he should be remembered. A ridiculous buffoon of a man and a garbage coach.
T_R wrote:Half of me believes this, but the 10 year old kid who used to watch him play in me refuses to accept it.

Michael wrote:He's a joke. It's the Emperor with no clothes. Every single piece of evidence shows that he is clearly an absolutely garbage coach. Even if you say he WAS good at the Roosters, he's been dismal for 10 years now. His teams have the rare distinction of being utterly terrible, and soul-crushingly boring. Watching him coach this team makes me sick.
Yeah, I know.

I just choose to believe it's not terminal.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Lord Funkington
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia Soliola

Post by Lord Funkington »

VictorTheViking wrote:I'll bet my left nad that there won't be any team changes
There can't be any really meaningful ones, thanks to the nrl's rules...
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Stuart would have been remembered as one of the greatest players ever. Now, even as a Raiders fan, my memory of him will be as a clown of a man and a relentlessly terrible, negative coach. So god knows that's how fans of other clubs will remember him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Michael wrote:Stuart would have been remembered as one of the greatest players ever. Now, even as a Raiders fan, my memory of him will be as a clown of a man and a relentlessly terrible, negative coach. So god knows that's how fans of other clubs will remember him.
He's a laughing stock amongst other fans. A walking punch line.
League Unlimited posters get A LOT of mileage out of him.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

We are a bog ordinary team with a bog ordinary coach. That game was f'ing embarrassing.

I actually like Sami, but after that performance he should be at Mounties. except due to this f'ing ridiculous 2nd tier cap rule it's apparently either him or Tupou, god help us.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Just back from the game. Some observations.

McCrone never stops trying but his execution at critical times simply isn't good enough. Cornish needs to play

Campese never plays for 80 mins. He is good for about 40 mins or a little more. The rest of the time he is just going through the motions.

Defensively the left side leaks at least twice as many tries and I am pretty much convinced it is a lack of faith in Campo that causes most of the issues. Campo rushes up and leaves his outside men stranded. Simply unacceptable for a Captain and a player of his experience.

Vaughan was pretty poor tonight. lots of silly school boy errors.

White is an embarrassment. His hit ups are impotent and his defence is inept.

Milford needs to be dropped as soon as Wighton is fit. Wighton or someone else needs to be trialled at fullback. Milford's mind is already in Brisbane and it shows

Baptiste is not the answer.

Boyd needs more time. It is a sin that he is getting half the minutes that White is getting

Edwards, Paps and Kennedy were all pretty good. Robbo was also much better tonight.

Croker and Fensom are the stars of this side and need to be rewarded with the Captaincy (Co Captains)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Crowd figure?
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Pigman wrote:
Michael wrote:Stuart would have been remembered as one of the greatest players ever. Now, even as a Raiders fan, my memory of him will be as a clown of a man and a relentlessly terrible, negative coach. So god knows that's how fans of other clubs will remember him.
He's a laughing stock amongst other fans. A walking punch line.
League Unlimited posters get A LOT of mileage out of him.
When we appointed him as coach I got so many texts to the effect of 'LOL RICKY STUART - kiss your club goodbye.'
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: 2014 Rd 20 V Rabbitohs: Game Day and Post Mat

Post by Brew »

Pigman wrote:I remember telling people 10 years ago that Stuart would go down at the greatest coach of all time. He was such an amazingly smart and brilliant player, it was impossible for me not to believe that would translate to the coaching world
Yeah he was. To be fair he started off his first few years as one of the best coaches, he got the Roosters to play tough and defence was one of their strong points and they made some GFs.

It's strange to see what's going on, I totally expected him to shack the place up but he continues to pick White, Campo/McCrone and not drop anyone. He won't pick Cornish. He doesn't give Boyd enough minutes. He has lost the plot.
In Ricky We Trust
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Tim W wrote:Crowd figure?
a little over 9500. A lot of Bunnies supporters and a lot of Raiders members not at the game tonight.

I am usually surrounded by Raiders members. Tonight I had Rabbits fans all over the place.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

^^same here. Along with wooden spoon taunts.....to which i made some $$$ against...and will now pay $600 at season end :(
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

My first message to a bunch of mates after we signed Stuart was along the lines of AARGH!
I don't completely blame Stuart, he inherited a complete mess of a club, but I'm also seeing no evidence that he has any chance if turning things around in the next few years.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

gangrenous wrote:

Must be 2 or 3 years since Matty Johns called us out on copying the Storm playbook.

"We don't have Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis or Hoffman - but this could work....."
shuuraider
Brett Mullins

Post by shuuraider »

First time ever I've completely forgot about a Raiders game. Just checked the score, and im glad.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I didn't think we could any lower than we did in the Furner era. I thought we had hit rock bottom.

Under the Stuart era, we have started to dig.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Milford goes up the middle, SCORES! Thanks to Milfords patented last second magic, the final score in Superbowl 30 is Canberra 6, South Sydney 56.

Good fortune had us in the game, then Croker and Sailuma bombed two near certain tries. Then they bent over and willingly presented their asses for **** and Souths players happily rammed till they had their fix, then rolled over and went to sleep allowing us to finish off by ourselves.

Embarrassing.
Last edited by Baywatch on July 28, 2014, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Tim W wrote:Crowd figure?
a little over 9500. A lot of Bunnies supporters and a lot of Raiders members not at the game tonight.

I am usually surrounded by Raiders members. Tonight I had Rabbits fans all over the place.
I wouldn't be surprised if more than half were bunnies supporters. I felt very out numbered tonite
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Green eyed Mick wrote:Just back from the game. Some observations.

McCrone never stops trying but his execution at critical times simply isn't good enough. Cornish needs to play

Campese never plays for 80 mins. He is good for about 40 mins or a little more. The rest of the time he is just going through the motions.

Defensively the left side leaks at least twice as many tries and I am pretty much convinced it is a lack of faith in Campo that causes most of the issues. Campo rushes up and leaves his outside men stranded. Simply unacceptable for a Captain and a player of his experience.

Vaughan was pretty poor tonight. lots of silly school boy errors.

White is an embarrassment. His hit ups are impotent and his defence is inept.

Milford needs to be dropped as soon as Wighton is fit. Wighton or someone else needs to be trialled at fullback. Milford's mind is already in Brisbane and it shows

Baptiste is not the answer.

Boyd needs more time. It is a sin that he is getting half the minutes that White is getting

Edwards, Paps and Kennedy were all pretty good. Robbo was also much better tonight.

Croker and Fensom are the stars of this side and need to be rewarded with the Captaincy (Co Captains)
Baptiste is one player I'm happy to give more time to, by the time he usually gets on the side has already lost confidence.

Barring that your spot on, I'd happily leave Kennedy in the centres if it means wighton goes to fullback, Ricky won't have the balls though