Plane crash investigations

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Plane crash investigations

Post by Schifty »

This is completely messed up. Looks like Putin might have a lot to answer for if he is arming these rebels.

Missile destroys Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine and kills 295 people

The president of Ukraine has accused pro-Russia rebels in the east of the country of shooting down a Malaysia Airlines jet, killing all 280 passengers and 15 crew.

The huge loss of life threatens to have wide-ranging and unpredictable consequences, coming just after the US imposed further sanctions on Russia for continuing to provide weapons to the rebels.

The plane, which was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, came down near the village of Grabovo, part of the area controlled by pro-Russian separatists.

The aircraft was flying just 1,000 feet above restricted airspace when it was shot down, according to the European air traffic control body. Eurocontrol said Ukrainian authorities had barred aircraft up to 32,000 feet but the doomed aircraft was cruising at 33,000 feet, still within range of sophisticated ground-to-air weaponry, when it was hit. All flights in eastern Ukraine have now been barred from the area.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... MP=soc_567
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Missile destroys Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I suspect and hope that a passenger airline was not their intended target and that they mistook the plane for a military cargo plane or something similar.

It would be a serious escalation if any of the militia groups operating in the region are targetting civilians.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Apparently one of the local separatist commanders tweeted that they'd shot down a Russian transport jet, then rapidly deleted the tweet when it dawned on them what they had actually hit.

Someone cocked up big time. Miracle they could hit the bloody thing at 33000 feet.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/video/id-F3 ... translated

Apparently this is a translated conversation from the group and their commander.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Some interesting comments from our politicians.

Julie Bishop had this to say:

"We don’t know the cause but there is speculation the plane was shot down. If that is the case it would be an unspeakable crime."

"We will do everything in our power to ensure the cause of this crash is the subject of a full, international inquiry."

"We urge the separatists to cooperate with the investigation… if they have taken the black box it must be returned to authorities immediately."

Uncle Tony had this to say:

“They (the militants) are Russian proxies essentially. This is only happening because Russia wants to stir up trouble.

“Now, it’s important that we don't make a situation worse, but if, as now sees certain, it has been brought down by a Russian-supplied surface-to-air missile, Russia bears a heavy share of responsibility.”
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'd say those were fairly bland comments.

The thing is, this almost certainly wasn't an 'unspeakable crime' - it was a stupid cock-up by people who shouldn't have access to the kind of hardware that they're playing with.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
tubs
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Milford

Post by tubs »

Totally shocking news poor family's involved. :cry:

Also poor Malaysia airlines losing 2 planes in the space of 12 months, not sure how they are going to push forward their business plans now.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I read somewhere that MA flew over that area because it was cheaper...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Airlines - all airlines - fly in as straight a line as possible. I've flown over Northern Afghanistan and the Ukraine many times in the last few years.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Airlines across the world on Thursday night imposed a no-fly zone over Ukraine as questions grew over why passenger jets were flying over the war zone three months after pilots were warned to avoid it.

In the east of the country, Eurocontrol, which coordinates European air traffic control, said Ukrainian authorities had now closed all routes.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/aviation/m ... zua0y.html
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Dutch PM is refusing to blame anyone for this.

Seems to have Russia written all over it but hard to know if they'll ever prove it considering how compromised the whole investigation might already be.

G20 planned for Brisbane in December, imagine there will be a lot of pissed off people if Russia is still deemed to be involved in this and Putin rocks up.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Wow one Dutch guy was booked to be on both MH370 and and MH17 but ended up changing flights both times :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Thats incredible.
If he books again with Malaysia Airlines, he deserves to die :lol:
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Schifty wrote:Wow one Dutch guy was booked to be on both MH370 and and MH17 but ended up changing flights both times :shock:
I'd never fly again if I was him.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'll never ever fly Malaysian airlines
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

I'm looking for cheap flights from MA right now.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

These things usually come in threes
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

No they don't :roll:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Richo had some interesting comments on Sky news this am.

Russia will get away with it; No European nation will oppose Russia as Russia supplies gas to all of Europe.

If you're a journalist and write against Russia you will be killed.

If you an industrialist and you oppose Russia you go to jail.

No nation can threaten Russia. Australia does little trade with Russia; what can we actually do but appeal for international pressure? The US may but it will amount to nothing as they will do it on their own and Russia will not be threatened anyway.

Paul Murray summed it up; you don't pick a fight with a big bully.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Dr Zaius wrote:These things usually come in threes
http://news.sky.com/story/1306685/alger ... from-radar

:doubt:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:These things usually come in threes
http://news.sky.com/story/1306685/alger ... from-radar

:doubt:
Yeah, that's a little unsettling.

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I'm flying on Saturday... Not gonna lie, pretty unsettled
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

@abcnews: Air Algerie plane crashes with 110 passengers on board, officials say http://t.co/atVxOnwjo8
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:No they don't :roll:

GEM has a genuinely terrible record in Current Affairs when on commenting about aviation.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

yeh raiders wrote:I'm flying on Saturday... Not gonna lie, pretty unsettled
You know, I've got more than 2 million frequent flyer points across various carriers - I deadset LIVE in planes - and I never think about crashing. The odds against it are just so astronomically ridiculous that it's not worth considering.

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I don't fly often (to Perth Monday though) and it never crosses my mind, probably helps that my first flight as a kid was on a rickety light aircraft that had holes in the floor beneath me :lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

T_R wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:No they don't :roll:

GEM has a genuinely terrible record in Current Affairs when on commenting about aviation.
It's quite eery and unbelievable that the prediction has come to fruition

What's doing in aviation circles at the moment. Fair dinkum.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

and here comes the conspiracy theories.. MH17 was same plane as MH370.

http://humansarefree.com/2014/07/busted ... h.html?m=0

They churn these theories out pretty fast these days!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty, that as outstanding reading. I urge everyone to click on each of those links as a lesson in how dumb, dumb conspiracy theories get off the ground.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I **** love that ****.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I'll have to send it to that nutter mate, he's been abusing another mate on Facebook for believing it was the Russians.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I mean, where do you begin with this kind of crap?

Here's a start - http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspira ... icture.asp

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:I mean, where do you begin with this kind of crap?

This ones a good one for the missing plane, blamining Rothchild and the illuminati

http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/2014/ ... 07888.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:I mean, where do you begin with this kind of crap?

You dont have to start anywhere, just pour a drink, recline the chair, load the page and enjoy.
Best **** on the internet... it's like reality TV, there is a point where the craziness crosses from silly to down right amazingly entertaining, in this household we call it the Bret Michaels scale.