Canberra News

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra News

Post by greeneyed »

Canberrans enjoy Skyfire 2014

The banks of Lake Burley Griffin had been transformed into a patchwork sea of picnic blankets and at chairs Regatta Point as the sun began to set as thousands of Canberrans lined the shores of the lake to revel in the Skyfire spectacular despite gloomy, overcast and rainy weather.

Before the firework spectacular, fans were treated to a live performance at Regatta Point by Timomatic. The ex-Canberran was happy to be back. "Tonight was crazy, it was a great atmosphere. I always have a fun time coming back to Canberra. It's like performing in front of your family.

Read more and pictures: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2w1jd7eYJ
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good vibes at Canberra Airport as new $50 million hotel unveiled

Canberra Airport will partner with Toga Far East Hotels, under the Vibe Hotel brand, in a new 191-room hotel.

The seven-storey hotel will be built near the new terminal's entrance.

Airport managing director Stephen Byron said Vibe Hotels was chosen as the winning brand with TFE Hotels' understanding of the airport's vision for the future.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2wPLcPjdo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fire in Civic coffee shop on West Row

Smoke filled parts of Canberra House and a number of businesses were evacuated after a fire in a coffee shop in Civic.

The fire started in the coffee roasting machine at Two Before Ten and was reported to emergency services at 7.05pm.

A number of businesses, including the Subway store next door, were evacuated after the fire, but no one was injured.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2wPM2a5VL
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Long time before emergencies were called

9:58am the fire started and it was 7:05pm before the call was made
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not sure I understand...
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Post by SirMcSquid »

greeneyed wrote:Not sure I understand...
the fire started at Two Before Ten..
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Yeah it was lame , sorry lol
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

:lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Yeah it was lame , sorry lol
Your genius is wasted on these philistines
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I would've understood it straight away had I initially read past the headline :lol:
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra speed cameras slammed in report

The ACT Auditor General has slammed the use of road safety speed cameras in the territory, finding there was no clear link between cameras and a reduction in speeding.

The damning report found speed camera reliability is poor, and the network was subject to escalating maintenance costs and a greater number of rejected infringements.

Criticising a lack of strategy from the ACT government, Auditor-General Maxine Cooper said it was “unlikely to have the right number of speed cameras in the right places”.

The report found budget proposals and not road safety had been the basis for expanding the ACT’s speed camera systems and crash data had not been used in determining some camera locations.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2wUt3jfhN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Severe weather warning issued for the ACT

Up to 100mm of rainfall could fall over for the ACT region in the next 24 hours and a severe weather warning has been issued for the ACT and south-east NSW.

The Bureau of Meteorology has warned localised heavy rain may lead to flash flooding in parts of Canberra, through Thursday evening and into Friday afternoon.

In a statement, they advised Canberrans to not drive or walk through flood water, keep clear of creeks and storm drains and call 000 if they become trapped by flash flooding.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2xoQ9UUgl
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

100mm in 24 hours?? Oh my god!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

36 Hours in Canberra, Australia

To stand atop a Canberra hilltop is to contemplate the stark charm of the Australian bush: vast grassy fields, swaths of eucalyptus forest and Instagram-worthy sunsets. This outpost is Australia’s national capital — not, as is commonly thought, the glitzier city of Sydney, three hours’ drive north. In Canberra, there are no beaches or iconic opera houses, and European chic is best sought an hour’s flight away in Melbourne. But what the “bush capital” lacks in big-city tousle, it makes up for in big-sky beauty, breezy civic pride and a decidedly hipster underbelly.

New York Times

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/trave ... .html?_r=2

Even the New York Times thinks Canberra is a great place.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I fail to see how a decidedly hipster underbelly is a good thing.

Sounds like a bloody terrible thing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good story.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Which is in response to what another flog on the same site wrote about canberra.. Who cares what some random writes on a blog
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

papabear wrote:I fail to see how a decidedly hipster underbelly is a good thing.

Sounds like a bloody terrible thing.
You're missing out if you don't have a decidedly hipster underbelly IMO
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Beats having the coffee as the main feature of your city.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Beats having the coffee as the main feature of your city.
I'm basically caffeine dependent so I don't mind.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

haha, yeh me too, unfortunately hipsters make the best coffee.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Owners of trashed Kambah party house 'overwhelmed' by community support

The couple whose Kambah home was trashed by dozens of teenage vandals before they'd even moved in has been overwhelmed by the support they received from the community.

Almost 70 young people smashed windows, hacked holes in gyprock and ripped doors from their hinges at the empty Shaw Place home on Tuesday night after a ''free house'' party invite was posted on Facebook. They had sprayed tomato sauce on the walls and left empty beer bottles and bourbon cans strewn throughout the house and yard.

The couple had bought the house recently and were given the keys last Tuesday, before settlement, so they could patch the walls and paint the interior.

The cost of damage to the four-bedroom home, which was bought for $425,000, has been estimated at $100,000.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z3747wGCRd
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Capitol we might have had

The fabulous Capitol that Walter Burley Griffin and Marion Mahony Griffin imagined for the federal capital city (and that would have imparted something Wow!-worthy to our skyline) was, alas, never built.

But now, thanks to the eerie wonders of modern animation and clever animators, we can examine it (and even fly over it, looking down on it like an architecture-appreciating eagle) as if it really had been built and is now decorating our city.

And the 90-second animation/tour is accompanied by deeply wistful music from the Adagio movement of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2. It asks us to do a little quiet grieving over what might have been, if only the Griffins' dream of a pyramidal Capitol had come true.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z3749f8Ugz
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Meh. I prefer the capital we got.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Thee was an interesting stat on the radio the other day.

11 of the top 20 tv shows in canberra were on subs or the abc. The top ranked sbs or abc show in the rest of the country came in at number 34 (grand designs).

Shows like the voice, house rules, master chef Etc.totally tanked in canberra.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Oh, there's no doubt that Canberra is seriously out of touch with the rest of the country......

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

I'd say it's a stat to be proud of.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unsuccessful robber hit with red wine bottle by witness

A man who unsuccessfully attempted to rob three stores in Canberra’s north was struck on the back of the head with a red wine bottle by a witness at a supermarket in Cook.

Police say the man, aged in his 20s and of Caucasian appearance, entered a Cook supermarket about 6.40pm and threatened staff with a knife while making demands.

A customer who witnessed the incident struck the man with a wine bottle causing him to stumble forward and then flee the store empty handed.

The offender, who has been described as around 170cm tall, then travelled to another supermarket in Scullin where he once again threatened staff with a knife only be scared off by a car that pulled up outside the store.

Read more and CCTV video: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z378wtMiRm
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Toviii wrote:I'd say it's a stat to be proud of.
x2 :thumbsup
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The CCTV footage of that is gold..
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Hip hop legend Coolio thinks light-rail is 'dope'; calls Yarralumla a 'ghetto':

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zvosj.html
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

"the boy from Compton remained steadfast in his commitment to horizontal electric transportation." Amazing.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

its that vertical electric transportation that gets you every time
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

Jake wrote:"the boy from Compton remained steadfast in his commitment to horizontal electric transportation." Amazing.
:lol: The writer needs to ease off the thesaurus a little bit