Racism in Australia

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Racism in Australia

Post by Schifty »

I don't even want to click play on that video..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fair go mate, fair go.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Disgraceful.

I too married an asian. The crap she cops at work is unbelievable.

Apparently she bumped into a co-worker who happened to speak the same native tongue as her in the lunch room, so they started having a conversation. Apparently some old bag walked in, interrupted their conversation and admonished them for not speaking in English. I was irate when I found out, however, was on strict instructions not become involved.

But the crap she cops from customers is the worst. Not so much the younger generation, which is good, but the attitude from older white women (mostly) and men. Its embarrassing. I've given up trying to defend us.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

My wife suffer horrendous, soul destroying racism. And that's just at home.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
craigo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: josh papalli

Post by craigo »

I suffer racism all the time.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

There's a crazy old homeless lady on Adelaide st in Brisbane (out front of my shop next to the police beat half the time) that abuses randoms constantly all day until the police get sick of her, she particularly dislikes Asians I've had to jump in a few times to distract her while the target can get away. I'm guessing TR knows the lady I mean, she's even threatened to set me on fire one day.

Here's a clip of her normal agro, not racial this time but you can imagine what it's like when her target is a young Asian, thankfully when it is a racial rant someone always steps up cause unlike this video she'll normally follow em down the street with abuse.

A racial rant of hers is doing the rounds on Facebook actually I'll try and figure out how to copy it here.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Manbush wrote: I'm guessing TR knows the lady I mean, she's even threatened to set me on fire one day.
]

Hey! I only asked her to beat you up a bit!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

TR have you been on the cans again. Some quality posting tonight :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'm in a hotel in Hiroshima with my two lads asleep behind me and two weeks away from my last adult conversation.

Going stir crazy. Thank GOD, meeting up with my wife tomorrow.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

And yes, I'm a bit on the cans.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote:
Manbush wrote: I'm guessing TR knows the lady I mean, she's even threatened to set me on fire one day.
]

Hey! I only asked her to beat you up a bit!
:lol:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:My wife suffer horrendous, soul destroying racism. And that's just at home.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

dubby wrote:
T_R wrote:My wife suffer horrendous, soul destroying racism. And that's just at home.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Hang on, I dont get it. Dubster? Care to share the joke?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The ironing is delicious.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I love crispy ironed shirts
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Here's an alternative viewpoint.

At the moment, I'm trying to lease a 700m floor of a building in Kobe. We have identified three options, two of which are owned by major banks and another owned by an investment company. We're talking pretty serious international companies here.

We are looking to spend about $350,000 a year on rent. We are a well established company with some pretty respectable profit figures. We have about 5000m of space leased in cities around Australia and Korea.

The point of this is that we're pretty attractive clients by most standards.

These companies just do not want to deal with us. They are quite happy to come out and say it straight - we don't want foreigners in our building.

Australia has some nasty racists, but it has much, much less of the institutionalised racism you find in other places. From the receiving end, and at the end of an extremely frustrating day, I'm going to come home and scream at some poor Asian girl on a bus….it's payback time.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Make sure you refer to said girl as a "gook", TR

:lol: Goodness, when i saw that womans rant, the wife and I actually had a conversation about when the last time we heard that term used. It was nearly 2 decades ago for me.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

A real bogan mate I used to work with used the word gook occasionally, I'm going to his bucks weekend in two months and you'd never believe it he's marrying an Australian born Chinese lady :lol:
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
She is from Buff Point which is near San Remo, Budgewoi (about 10 mins north of Wyong) and it is quite a rough area. Even the local bus company refuses to run buses through part of that area
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Makes me embarrassed to be Australian - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vGYEihBZs
Last edited by Azza on October 12, 2014, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Begbie wrote:I love crispy ironed shirts
They're tasty!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Azza wrote:Makes me embarrassed to be Auistralian - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vGYEihBZs
This dude shouldn't have been conscious after 10 seconds.

Waste of oxygen.

And he should get a better grip on the English lanuage
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Racism in Australia

Post by Toviii »

He's a disgrace. Went on Facebook blaming his behaviour on alcohol. I don't think alcohol changed the fact that he is clearly inherently racist...

Guy filming it is just as revolting...
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Gee, that guard showed a lot of restraint.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'd say chuck him in prison and throw away the key, but I imagine this incident and the way it will dog his future for many years to come will be punishment aplenty...

The lowlife who filmed it is just lucky his face isn't on camera
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Made it only 20 seconds into the video before I had had enough.

The smug look on the little ***** face as he looked into the camera made me sick - his mate filming and condoning the behaviour should be named and shamed as well.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Just heard both the 18 and 17 year old have been charged
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

I think there should be some sort of public humiliation as punishment.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Here's an alternative viewpoint.

At the moment, I'm trying to lease a 700m floor of a building in Kobe. We have identified three options, two of which are owned by major banks and another owned by an investment company. We're talking pretty serious international companies here.

We are looking to spend about $350,000 a year on rent. We are a well established company with some pretty respectable profit figures. We have about 5000m of space leased in cities around Australia and Korea.

These companies just do not want to deal with us. They are quite happy to come out and say it straight - we don't want foreigners in our building.

Australia has some nasty racists, but it has much, much less of the institutionalised racism you find in other places. From the receiving end, and at the end of an extremely frustrating day, I'm going to come home and scream at some poor Asian girl on a bus….it's payback time.
Japan would have to be one of the more racist countries out there. I'm not sure how it would go down in Australia publicly pointing at people of another race while chanting a slang word for them. Seems acceptable in Japan.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote:Makes me embarrassed to be Australian - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vGYEihBZs
deport the ****
That honestly makes me sick. I would have stood, and applauded if that security guard took this little **** up on his offer and belted the **** out of him on the station
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Begbie wrote:Disgraceful.

I too married an asian. The crap she cops at work is unbelievable.

Apparently she bumped into a co-worker who happened to speak the same native tongue as her in the lunch room, so they started having a conversation. Apparently some old bag walked in, interrupted their conversation and admonished them for not speaking in English. I was irate when I found out, however, was on strict instructions not become involved.

But the crap she cops from customers is the worst. Not so much the younger generation, which is good, but the attitude from older white women (mostly) and men. Its embarrassing. I've given up trying to defend us.
You needed to be put on instructions to not get involved in your wifes employment?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote:Here's an alternative viewpoint.

Everyone has a price TR.

It is about money always has been always will be, you just don't want price they have in mind for you because you believe it is unfair. You might be right.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Just reading some Wilbur smith books.

Don't know if its based on fact, but certain countries would only buy slaves if they had been snipped so as not to "defile" their blood line. He could have just made that up because it is a fiction book, but yeah worth mentioning.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

She should teach her husband to put s's on the end of words. Instead of berating him for it.