More than meth, the faces of drug arrests

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Rehabs.com launches confronting new campaign: More than Meth, The Faces Of Drug Arrests

THE frightful physical toll of drug abuse has been highlighted in a series of mug shots by the organisation behind the famous “Faces of Meth” campaign.

Ten years on, Rehabs.com have done it again, using before and after pictures to highlight how easy it is for addicts to transform into a hollow version of their once-healthy selves in just a matter of years.
More Than Meth: The Faces Of Drug Arrests tackles the effects of meth, cocaine, heroin and oxycodone (a prescription drug used by people who suffer chronic pain, commonly referred to as “hillbilly heroin”).
The transformation is unbelievable ..

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health ... 6866167732
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: More than Meth, The Faces Of Drug Arrests

Post by The Nickman »

A mate of mine reckons he showed his kids photos of people on meth to teach them what it looked like if they didn't brush their teeth.

Said it worked a treat.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: More than meth, the faces of drug arrests

Post by Green eyed Mick »

The problem with drugs in most societies is the lack of genuine education. Education is usually dressed up as a fear campaign which not only fails to inform it seeks to provide a false sense of safety around very harmful drugs. Anyone with a web browser knows that not all drugs are the same. How is a 13 year old supposed to take drug education seriously when he is told that Cannabis is dangerous, addictive and will ruin his life, meanwhile by the time he is 15 he knows plenty of kids who use it, all his favourite comedians, and musicians use it and he knows it is legal in various parts around the world and is a legitimate medicine in Canada, and half the US.

IMO if you want to prevent kids from using meth or any drug stop trying to scare them with what are clearly atypical cases. Meth is a dangerous and addictive drug but the reality is the majority of people who use meth don't wind up like the people depicted in these pictures. Focus on the facts and I think u will have better outcomes.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

How do the majority of people who use meth wind up? I'd like to learn the facts.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

What Are the Effects of Methamphetamine Use?
This is a list of effects associated with pure methamphetamine use. Because of how it's made, crystal meth is never pure, so the dangers associated with taking the street drug extend beyond these effects.

Common Immediate Effects

Euphoria
Increased energy and alertness
Diarrhea and nausea
Excessive sweating
Loss of appetite, insomnia, tremors, jaw-clenching
Agitation, irritability, talkativeness, panic, compulsive fascination with repetitive tasks, violence, confusion
Increased libido
Increased blood pressure, body temperature, heart rate, blood sugar levels, bronchodilation
Constriction of the walls of the arterties
In pregnant and nursing women, methampetamine crosses the placenta and is secreted in breast milk

Effects Associated with Chronic Use

Tolerance (needing more of the drug to get the same effect)
Drug craving
Temporary weight loss
Withdrawal symptoms including depression and anhedonia
"Meth Mouth" where teeth rapidly decay and fall out
Drug-related psychosis (may last for months or years after drug use is discontinued)

Effects of Overdose
Brain damage
Sensation of flesh crawling (formication)
Paranoia, hallucinations, delusions, tension headache
Muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) which can lead to kidney damage or failure
Death due to stroke, cardiac arrest or elevated body temperature (hyperthermia)

http://chemistry.about.com/od/medicalhe ... almeth.htm
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

^ isn't that what is being taught in drug education classes? I don't understand what GEM's issue with drug education is? (Especially when it comes to what is taught about meth, of all drugs).
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Toviii wrote:How do the majority of people who use meth wind up? I'd like to learn the facts.
In 2010 About 2% of the population had used meth or speed in the previous 12 months. 7% had used Cocaine at some point in their life. The use of both drugs is apparently on the increase.

Having worked in corrections for nearly a decade drug addiction is really common but in 9 years I came across perhaps only half a dozen who would be in the kind of physical state depicted in these pictures.

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/drug-facts/ice

This is a pretty good website.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

I think I'm still missing the point of your first post. Are you saying the information given to kids about the harmful effects of drugs is inappropriately exaggerated, and because it is inappropriately exaggerated kids are not going to take on board the message that is given to them? Do you think rates of illicit drug use would decrease if we started promoting a more moderate message in favour of what you describe as "dressed up fear campaign"?

In my mind, I don't think current drug education is a fear campaign at all.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Toviii wrote:^ isn't that what is being taught in drug education classes? I don't understand what GEM's issue with drug education is? (Especially when it comes to what is taught about meth, of all drugs).
Campaigns like the one in the OP aren't as effective IMO because their implication is this is typical if you use meth. It is from the reefer madness book of anti-drug campaigning.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Toviii wrote:I think I'm still missing the point of your first post. Are you saying the information given to kids about the harmful effects of drugs is inappropriately exaggerated, and because it is inappropriately exaggerated kids are not going to take on board the message that is given to them? Do you think rates of illicit drug use would decrease if we started promoting a more moderate message in favour of what you describe as "dressed up fear campaign"?

In my mind, I don't think current drug education is a fear campaign at all.
I don't think rates of illicit drug use will decrease no matter what they do. I just find campaigns like the one in the OP to be dishonest and I don't think they have a place in a fact based discussion about preventing harm from drug use. Note my position is drug education should be about preventing harm, not primarily focussed on discouraging use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Y ... a_Campaign

This is an interesting article on anti-drug campaigns. The following chapter is interesting

Not only do data indicate the ineffectiveness of much anti-drug advertising, results also point to behavioral reactions in the opposite direction, or a boomerang effect, where greater exposure to the campaign, resulted to increased use of marijuana. Of those unexposed to ads on a given month, 81% did not intend to use marijuana, That percentage decreased for youth exposed to 1-3 ads per month, to 79% and dropped to 78% among those exposed to more than 4 advertisements per month. Also measured, were attitudes such as 'anti-marijuana attitudes/beliefs' and 'anti-marijuana social norms'. Both of these index's portray declining percentages with increased exposure to ads. Anti-marijuana publicity, may have stimulated the notion that “‘everyone’s doing it,’” therefore heightenening the appeal of using marijuana, as a popular practice. The ads had an unintended positive impact on perceptions towards marijuana use as they portrayed benefits within the context of using marijuana. This association was strengthened with repeat exposure. Images that lead to such impressions included focusing on the "good-times" people were having while on drugs, happily socializing. These impressions heightened the appeal of marijuana, thus making people more likely to initiate use, or increase use.[16] Youth's beliefs and behaviors were also affected by those of their older siblings. Since older brothers and sisters were more interested in using marijuana after seeing the ads, the campaign had an indirect effect on younger siblings as well
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

I think the best way to prevent harm is to stop people from beginning to use the drug where possible.

Aside from that, the point raised in what you quoted is interesting, and I suppose it is plausible that some campaigns can cause effects opposite to what was intended, particularly if they talk about the use of these drugs in social settings. I don't think this particular campaign is one of them though, despite your belief that it is misleading in some ways.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

http://www.drugs.health.gov.au/internet ... ent/youth4

This is the kind of thing I have a problem with. Not all drugs are the same and these kinds of things IMO have the potential to send a confused message about a false equivalency between all illicit drugs and in some respects promote a false sense of security when Alcohol and prescription drugs aren't included.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Toviii wrote:How do the majority of people who use meth wind up? I'd like to learn the facts.
In 2010 About 2% of the population had used meth or speed in the previous 12 months. 7% had used Cocaine at some point in their life. The use of both drugs is apparently on the increase.

Having worked in corrections for nearly a decade drug addiction is really common but in 9 years I came across perhaps only half a dozen who would be in the kind of physical state depicted in these pictures.

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/drug-facts/ice

This is a pretty good website.
According to the National Drug Strategy Household Survey, in 2010: 2.1% of Australians aged over 14 years had used meth/amphetamines in the previous 12 months. Of these, 50.8% had used ice -

See more at: http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/topics/q ... istics#ice

Ice (meth in general) is nasty, nasty stuff. Cheaper than heroin with a longer high.

Mick, the pictures are intended to scare. No point denying that. The point is it gives people a visual indication of what has happened to regular users of meth. That's a fact mate, you cannot deny it because you seemingly disagree with the methodology.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Green eyed Mick wrote:http://www.drugs.health.gov.au/internet ... ent/youth4

This is the kind of thing I have a problem with. Not all drugs are the same and these kinds of things IMO have the potential to send a confused message about a false equivalency between all illicit drugs and in some respects promote a false sense of security when Alcohol and prescription drugs aren't included.
I'm not sure what your problem is.

Do you lament that alcohol is just as devastating on our culture (and on people in general) but the stigma surrounding alcohol is not as negative as illicit drugs?

As for prescription drugs, I think that is more of a patient-doctor code of ethics. Better talk to Dr Zaius about that.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

I don't see much difference between this, and the campaigns they run against smoking where they show you pictures of emphysema, gangrene and God knows what else to deter you. And those anti-smoking campaigns were proven to be highly successful.

I also don't take issue to anything written in the last link GEM put up.
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

From experience, people who take drugs usually do so in a social scene.....other people they know do it so they join in. There is also family issues, the socio economic conditions etc

There are numerous reasons people take drugs and its usually for the experience. People also believe they can only try it once and not get addicted, and that is why we have education campaigns informing people of the risks involved.

I too take issue with the boozy culture of Australia. It's ridicules. BUT, many nations have social issues relating to alcohol abuse as well as drug abuse. Education does work, but until we get it into our core beliefs as a society that getting smashed is unacceptable then nothing will change.

This is where I think Green Eyed Mike has frustrations. Society frowns upon illicit drug use but willingly accepts getting drunk as freely as a public holiday.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

No one drug is created equal. It's the blanket ban that annoys me. weed and mushrooms shouldn't be lumped in with meth and cocaine. With the information we have on each drug nowadays, there needs to be a culture change and the laws need to adjust accordingly.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

3 issues to respond to.

I have a lot of experience in correctional environments and have processed hundreds of drug addicts. The depictions in the OP are not typical of high level addicts and are definitely not typical for your average casual meth or cocaine user. The ads are attempting to scare people away from meth by implying if they pick up a pipe this is how they will end up. This isn't accurate and that is why it doesn't work.

As for smoking. 1 in 3 smokers apparently dies from a smoking related illness which is IMO a big enough number to justify the images on cigarette packets. Lets not forget that smoking is far and away the most harmful drug in society and it is perfectly legal and readily available. Alcohol is the 2nd most dangerous and destructive drug and is widely promoted as a socially acceptable and even healthy in some circumstances.

My issue with the Australian governments campaign is it 'bundles' illicit drugs. It doesn't make the clear distinctions that are needed to properly inform both parents and young people. It is also stuck in a prevention mindset trotting out the old tired lines like 'just say no'.

The fact is the public perception of drugs is vastly different to the reality and campaigns by our government and governments overseas are doing little to bridge that gap.

Dr Carl Hart is a neuroscientist who speaks out against the crazy stories and misinformation related to drug use. Definitely worth reading or watching some of his work.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Jake wrote:No one drug is created equal. It's the blanket ban that annoys me. weed and mushrooms shouldn't be lumped in with meth and cocaine. With the information we have on each drug nowadays, there needs to be a culture change and the laws need to adjust accordingly.
Why should cocaine be lumped in with meth??
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

The Nickman wrote: Why should cocaine be lumped in with meth??
It shouldn't, I was just making a point. Treat each drug on its individual effects, risks etc.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Jake wrote:No one drug is created equal. It's the blanket ban that annoys me. weed and mushrooms shouldn't be lumped in with meth and cocaine. With the information we have on each drug nowadays, there needs to be a culture change and the laws need to adjust accordingly.
Mate, that's like saying beer shouldn't be treated the same as wine or spirit. :lol:

The end result is the same.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
Mate, that's like saying beer shouldn't be treated the same as wine or spirit. :lol:

Well absolutely it's not. I know many people that should not be allowed to drink rum that are fine on beer.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I am an absolute gronk on the rum, And a perfect gentleman on the beers.
This place is woke.
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

http://www.news.com.au/national/rush-ho ... 6865947974

link contains a video to aussie alcohol obsession.
Jake
Brett Mullins

Post by Jake »

dubby wrote:Mate, that's like saying beer shouldn't be treated the same as wine or spirit. :lol:

You are kidding yourself - and this is exactly the problem. Beer, wine, whiskey; they're all alcohol.

You cannot compare cannabis to an amphetamine, or psilocybin to an opiate. Surely you can see that?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

dubby wrote:

You are the perfect example of why drug education is failing in this country. Alcohol is a drug found in beer, wine and spirits they are all the same drug just offered in different concentrations across its different delivery methods.

Cocaine is entirely different to Meth and has different effects on the body as as such requires a different education and harm minimisation strategy
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:

:shock:

Mate there are so many differences between drugs (not just different types of drugs but purities and strains of the same drug), different effects while you're on them, short and long term effects, so much different than judging all alcohol the same.

It would be like comparing all religions/cults as having the same end result and using the 'Heavens Gate" cult as the standard.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

dubby wrote:

You're having a laugh there mate.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

dubby wrote:

Coke and meth has the same outcome? Goodness...
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Dubby should be banned from any discussions that involve a grown-up subject.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

Dubby, can i genuinely ask, have you tried weed/mushrooms/speed/coke/ecstacy or any other illegal substance?
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

How is scaremongering kids into not doing Meth a bad thing?!
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

Luffty wrote:How is scaremongering kids into not doing Meth a bad thing?!
Because when given the opportunity to take meth (and other drugs), if their education surrounding the drug is not up to scratch, that can just as easily lead to a person trying it as not. As someone mentioned before, the pictures above are not a true representation of all drug users across the scale, but the worst case scenario over a typically long period of time.

So imagine a teenager sees those pics, then gets offered the drug by a dude at a party, who looks nothing like the people in those pics. Or imagine a teenager who has been told his whole life weed is as bad as meth/coke/oxy and then tries weed and sees no negative side affects, so thinks meth would be the same. What would make a bigger difference? Education helping them to understand, or scaremongering that can easily come across as misinformation.

Sure, scaremongering helps deter. But true education helps someone understand the full consequences of their decisions.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Luffty wrote:How is scaremongering kids into not doing Meth a bad thing?!
Assuming scaremongering was effective it wouldn't be a bad thing but scaremongering isn't effective. The US and Australia has spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the last 50 years trying to scare teenagers about the dangers of cannabis. The end result is legalised medicinal cannabis in 20 US states and legalised recreational use in 2 US states with more states contemplating legislation at the moment. The last 3 presidents admit to using Cannabis and other illicit drugs and thousands of high functioning, highly successful people demonstrate beyond all doubt that the scaremongering didn't work and the assumptions behind the scare tactics were false.