King hits

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

King hits

Post by Dr Zaius »

It really is very concerning the number of severe head injuries that have arisen from king hits over the past year or two. Whether these are occurring more frequently or are better reported I'm not sure. No doubt that alcohol has a major role but I also wonder about other drugs, either illicit or performance enhancing. In the most recent case the offender was an absolute monster and no doubt was on the juice. What of the acceptance given to such behavior from traditional male institutions though. Have a look of the Billy Slater incident from the world cup. Officials stopped just short of a national treasure for his role in it. I on the other hand see his actions as those of a cowardly thug.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 2xdr8.html
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: King Hits

Post by dubby »

It's a real concern that's for sure. I'll post more later
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agree with you Greenbits. I suspect it's a mix of alchohol and drugs... and poor upbringing.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

There is no respect in the younger generation

The king hit has really exploded over the last few years

I've read a report that there are gangs in the US and all they do is come up to someone and King hit them and run off , it's gutless and they are a bunch of cowards
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

And yet there was still a lot more fights and violence when you blokes were young.

Go figure.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

There's always been fighting, nickman.
The article does say maybe king hits are better covered these days.
I think it's grog, drugs both illicit and steroid, and the growing interest in mma. So many guys watch it, train it and have a very confident belief in their fighting ability. But I'm by No means blaming mma itself. Also bad parenting and even an absent father figure.... Or a bad one
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Coward Hits*
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Until such time as the Australian hotels association and other very powerful interest groups with a vested interest in binge drinking are prevented from perverting out government we will just have to learn to live with it.

Alcohol is by far the biggest problem and this kind of violence is just another reason why this country is long overdue for some evidence based drug policies rather than the ones written and endorsed by lobby groups and other vested interests.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

greeneyed wrote:Agree with you Greenbits. I suspect it's a mix of alchohol and drugs... and poor upbringing.
Drugs are an easy target and cop out IMO, read the reports on king hits and the vast majority Ive seen are from drunken louts with no mention of drugs. They're usually huge guys (roids a possibility), my main 3 things to blame would be, alcohol, lack of respect and no fear in the consequences.

GB would've seen this one, two big Samoan guys on the coast for a religious camp walking down the street pissed as and one was overheard saying to the other I'm gonna punch the next guy I see, he did and both laid into him while he was on the ground and put him in a coma.

Campbell's come up with some **** laws recently but I do like the idea of harsher penalties for drunken crimes and a perma ban on violent drunks from venues.

I hate generic alcohol laws like I think GEM wants that punish us well behave drinkers, just punish the **** ones.
Last edited by Manbush on January 5, 2014, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:And yet there was still a lot more fights and violence when you blokes were young.

Go figure.
Was there really? Different types of fights and violence to though mate.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
The Nickman wrote:And yet there was still a lot more fights and violence when you blokes were young.

Go figure.
Australian pubs used to be bloodbaths back in the day. Fighting is a lot more rare than it used to be.

You still go out a fair bit, Bushy. Seriously, how much do you see fights?? How does it compare to twenty years ago??
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I don't want to punish well behaved drinkers. I want the country to recognise that Alcohol is a dangerous drug with very serious and expensive consequences for all of us. I want State and Federal governments to look around the world and see what has worked in other jurisdictions and implement the same kinds of interventions here.

With respect to personal freedoms. Sensible regulation of alcohol is not taking away anyones freedom to responsibly enjoy a drink. It is making sure everyones rights to enjoy a drink, have a good night out and return home safely are preserved.

As for mandatory sentencing or increased penalties. They don't work. They are a tool politicians and lobbyists use to divert attention away from the real problem.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bushy, drugs like speed, meth, coke are definitely a problem in this instance

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

What about the latest push for raising the age limit to 21 , that should be a step in the right direction
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Won't do a thing. Look at schoolies where parents buy heaps of grog for their kids

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

There's always going to be a way around things but it depends how it is policed .

Schoolies would not be the same if that law was brought in and enforced.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: King hits

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think more regulation, like changing the age people can drink, or closing times, is the solution, more education.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

I think there has to be more than one thing done , the answer isnt only raising the age limit ( if that is a solution )

This will affect me , I work in the alcohol producing industry
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Go figure.
Australian pubs used to be bloodbaths back in the day. Fighting is a lot more rare than it used to be.

You still go out a fair bit, Bushy. Seriously, how much do you see fights?? How does it compare to twenty years ago??
I don't think it is any worse now, binge drinking is much the same with perhaps the only difference being the amount of girls doing it.

Young males are probably somewhat stronger than they were through the interest in gyms and body image.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Go figure.

See as many as I used to but they're different now, now days people are more likely to continue putting the boot in when their opponents are beaten and they seem to be more lopsided, random acts rather than two guys squaring up.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:Bushy, drugs like speed, meth, coke are definitely a problem in this instance
In comparison to alcohol they are very minor part of the problem.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

In Alice Springs we have restricted hours for purchasing take-away alcohol. You can't purchase before 2pm except on Saturdays. Sunday pretty much not at all. As you can imagine we have a massive domestic violence and assaults problem here, however, apparently it was even worse before these restrictions were brought in. There are people advocating for increasing the restrictions to including one day a week of no alcohol sales at all.

We also used to have this system where you needed to scan your licence when buying alcohol. If you had been convicted of any alcohol related crime including DUI you were refused service. When the liberal government got into to power last year they stopped this. The system cost a fortune to implement in the first instance.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Stats generally show crime stable or falling.

Maybe just more reported or perhaps instead of a fight these days you're more likely just to be belted unprepared or stomped if you fall?

The old ideas about it being poor form to hit a bloke without his hands up ready to go just doesn't exist anymore. (not that I say any fight as worthwhile unless it's in a ring)
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:
dubby wrote:Bushy, drugs like speed, meth, coke are definitely a problem in this instance
In comparison to alcohol they are very minor part of the problem.
Meth use is growing massively and will be a huge problem in less than 5 years.

Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

What Meth does to people is a pretty alarming thing to witness. It's a disgusting drug. If what you say is true Dubs, I blame Breaking Bad.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

In the reviews of Breaking Bad there were critics saying it was very bad poor meth was glorified.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Must say it is one of the few drugs I have never nor ever will try under any circumstance.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Go figure.

Do you have stats or is it just a gut feel?

I think violence is still a very real issue in pretty much every late night pub. More than two bouncers is a pretty good indication of that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

King hits

Post by The Nickman »

Raider Bell wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Go figure.

I think violence is still a very real issue in pretty much every late night pub. More than two bouncers is a pretty good indication of that.
Just about every old boy I share a beer with talks about how the old days there used to be blues every day pretty much.

I can go months at a time without seeing a blue these days. I'm not saying they don't happen I'm just not in the slightest bit convinced it's increasing. In fact the opposite.

And I go out in Brisbane a fair bit. Not as much as Bushy, granted, but still a bit.

Couldn't tell you the last fight I saw.

And further to that, I was at a street party in Rocky just before New Years and didn't see a single sign of trouble. I remember thinking to myself "geez, fifteen years ago there would've been blues everywhere"
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

But I think the point is that when there is a blue these days, although less common, they involve king hits and cause serious injury or even death when the bloke who has been hit cracks his skull when he falls. Back in the day of regular pub blues the other bloke knew what was coming and could defend himself.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

King hits

Post by The Nickman »

Begbie wrote:But I think the point is that when there is a blue these days, although less common, they involve king hits and cause serious injury or even death when the bloke who has been hit cracks his skull when he falls. Back in the day of regular pub blues the other bloke knew what was coming and could defend himself.
Yeah I'm not sure this is a reality either to be perfectly honest.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

But doesn't what Bits has been saying and the incidents as reported in the media suggest is reality? What more do you need?
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

The Nickman wrote:
Raider Bell wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Go figure.

Just about every old boy I share a beer with talks about how the old days there used to be blues every day pretty much.

I can go months at a time without seeing a blue these days. I'm not saying they don't happen I'm just not in the slightest bit convinced it's increasing. In fact the opposite.

And I go out in Brisbane a fair bit. Not as much as Bushy, granted, but still a bit.

Couldn't tell you the last fight I saw.

And further to that, I was at a street party in Rocky just before New Years and didn't see a single sign of trouble. I remember thinking to myself "geez, fifteen years ago there would've been blues everywhere"
Fair enough. Being 26 I obviously can't comment on anything more then about 8 or so years ago, but I've definitely seen a few blues.

I haven't seen any stats either, but I'd be happy if it is being lowered.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

King hits

Post by The Nickman »

I'm just saying in my experiences of drinking for almost 20 years coupled with tales the older generation used to tell about pubs being "bloodbaths" seems to be fairly contradictory to what the media reports fairly consistently.

And most people seem to base their judgement on what the media tells them, and not their own personal experiences.