Let's try something new this season...

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Michael
Mal Meninga

Let's try something new this season...

Post by Michael »

Here's a suggestion, not all of you may agree, but hear me out...

How about we stop this endless whining about how everyone is out to get us??? Every day it seems like there is a new thread concerned with some sort of campaign against the Raiders!

Another club wants to sign Carney? Wow, what a **** suprise - he's one of the league's best young players, and people seem outraged when other clubs are interested in his services?

Neil Henry being linked with other clubs? He's the QLD assistant coach, has a strong reputation, and used the be the Cowboys assistant coach - if you're going to speculate about Murray's replacement, then Neil Henry would be a logical choice.

The Sydney media is out to get us? While I'll admit we don't get very good coverage, you have to remember that the Sydney media is going to be concerned with Sydney clubs - thats what sells papers people! Melbourne only ever got recognition once they started winning. It may be harsh, but the reality is that we'll only get more recognition once we stop being ****.

Complaints about the top 30 players list? We got six players listed in the top 20 - that means that the Raiders make up almost a third of the 20 greatest players of the last 30 years - how is that not recognition of our era of dominance? Face it, on the field at least, Johns was a better player than Big Mal - and we all know that halves get more recognition when it comes to player polls anyway.

I'm not denying that we get the rough end of the pineapple sometimes, nor do we get the recognition we deserve sometimes, but this is becoming a vicious cycle - people are looking for biases and agendas against us when they aren't even there! If I was a supporter of another club and saw half the stuff that people were complaining about, I'd be laughing at us too!

I know a lot of you will blow up at this, but I also know that I'm not the only one who thinks this way - everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I can only say its going to be a long **** season if we keep this level of paranoia and anxiety up.
1982 till Eternity
Brett Mullins

Post by 1982 till Eternity »

I think you make a fair point, but there are occasions where the Raiders have been hard done by and where else are Raiders die hards going to vent.

I couldnt care less what fans of other clubs think of the Greenhouse, if they are surfing our web page then I would suggest they get a life or strap on a green jersey.

I think the anti-Sydney-media sentiment around here is spot on, we do get a rough deal (its not that they dont do any stories on us, but when they do, we get rubbished).

If you come across a post that you think is just a whinger, then skip it and dont read it...thats what I do.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

well there is a little boy waiting down the corner shop..blal,bla,lah, blah,.........What about me it isnt fair , ive had enough and i want my share.
a little like that Michael.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

You know what I'm really jack of on the GH?

People whining about people whining.

Not interested in a thread? Don't bloody well click on it. I never really understand why people feel a compulsion to read everything on here. There are a number of topics/themes I won't go near with a barge pole. I think Michael and a few others could do with adopting that approach.

Everyone's different, some fans are more paranoid than others. That's the way it is and will always be. Take a look at other league fansites, after all.

*coughs* I just realised that this response contained whining about people whining about people whining. :shock: :lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

:lol: so stop your **** whingeing LG.. :lol:
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Let's try something new this season...

Post by Woodgers »

Michael wrote:Here's a suggestion, not all of you may agree, but hear me out...

How about we stop this endless whining about how everyone is out to get us??? Every day it seems like there is a new thread concerned with some sort of campaign against the Raiders!

Another club wants to sign Carney? Wow, what a f**king suprise - he's one of the league's best young players, and people seem outraged when other clubs are interested in his services?

Neil Henry being linked with other clubs? He's the QLD assistant coach, has a strong reputation, and used the be the Cowboys assistant coach - if you're going to speculate about Murray's replacement, then Neil Henry would be a logical choice.

The Sydney media is out to get us? While I'll admit we don't get very good coverage, you have to remember that the Sydney media is going to be concerned with Sydney clubs - thats what sells papers people! Melbourne only ever got recognition once they started winning. It may be harsh, but the reality is that we'll only get more recognition once we stop being sh*t.

Complaints about the top 30 players list? We got six players listed in the top 20 - that means that the Raiders make up almost a third of the 20 greatest players of the last 30 years - how is that not recognition of our era of dominance? Face it, on the field at least, Johns was a better player than Big Mal - and we all know that halves get more recognition when it comes to player polls anyway.

I'm not denying that we get the rough end of the pineapple sometimes, nor do we get the recognition we deserve sometimes, but this is becoming a vicious cycle - people are looking for biases and agendas against us when they aren't even there! If I was a supporter of another club and saw half the stuff that people were complaining about, I'd be laughing at us too!

I know a lot of you will blow up at this, but I also know that I'm not the only one who thinks this way - everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I can only say its going to be a long f**king season if we keep this level of paranoia and anxiety up.
Best post of seen on here in a while I reckon. Well done mate.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think you have over reacted mate.

My cries are not " everyones out to get us" but I do like to vent my frustrations and express my thoughts in the GH. I do so because I love this club and I know I will find similar perceptions here. This gives me the support I want from my fellow green machine supporters.

I perceive things a little differently to you. When someone like Todd Carney is being courted by other clubs and is a very real chance of leaving you cant deny people their right to feel threatened. When our coach is being mentioned in every sports column in the country as a real chance of leaving, you cant deny people their right to feel threatened.

Why?

Because people love this club, and when two of our most valuable personnel look to be leaving the fans feel threatened/abandoned/shat upon/ etc That is human emotion and that is what makes supporting RL the best thing ever. To remove the emotion from it and ask people to react differently is almost an insult. Without that passion this club and this game would be without any fans and not worth following.

We all have a sense of ownership of this club and we want the Raiders to succeed. Some of our recent years have been starved of success (sort of) and we can suddenly sense that success isnt far away and we just need a bit of luck and astute managing to get there, then suddenly along comes a cheating wealthy club like Manly and they try to snare our gun halfback well dude, we feel angry about that. Dont you remember the way the Warriors cheated to steal Wiki? That really hurt mate.

Fans identify themselves with their club. If a club is successful, then that means the person can identify themselves as being part of something succssful. When a persons club seems to be getting unfair press or poor perception then people start to get defencive. Why? Because they identify themselves with that club.

That is why its personal.

Thats why people can respond in ways you deem overe reactive.

That is why I love this game and this club.

They are some of the best things in my life, and if you take that away or ask me to water it down then you rob me of a large part of my legacy and history.

I cant do that Michael.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

dubby wrote: Because people love this club, and when two of our most valuable personnel look to be leaving the fans feel threatened/abandoned/shat upon/ etc That is human emotion and that is what makes supporting RL the best thing ever. To remove the emotion from it and ask people to react differently is almost an insult. Without that passion this club and this game would be without any fans and not worth following.
Very nicely said dubby, very nicely said.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

We all have a sense of ownership of this club and we want the Raiders to succeed. Some of our recent years have been starved of success (sort of) and we can suddenly sense that success isnt far away and we just need a bit of luck and astute managing to get there, then suddenly along comes a cheating wealthy club like Manly and they try to snare our gun halfback well dude, we feel angry about that. Dont you remember the way the Warriors cheated to steal Wiki? That really hurt mate.
Dubs, I think the point is that moaning and moaning about what 'might' happen is pointless. It's happening over and over and over again. Why get angry that Manly are interested? No point mate. Just relax.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Question wrote:well there is a little boy waiting down the corner shop..blal,bla,lah, blah,.........What about me it isnt fair , ive had enough and i want my share.

Uh oh... the secret's out! Matt is really Shannon Noll!
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Rick James wrote:
Question wrote:well there is a little boy waiting down the corner shop..blal,bla,lah, blah,.........What about me it isnt fair , ive had enough and i want my share.

Explains the spelling mistakes somewhat :D
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

I agree with Michael - the paranoia that there is infact a conspiracy against the Raiders at all levels is astounding.

I also agree with LG - get over people whinging... if I hear one more person complain about the 'name your team' threads, i'll scream. Just get over it! If you don't like it - don't open the thread!!!

Don't forget to vote in the social forum - i'm only one behind now with a day to go!!! How I hate those threads...
Foxhound
Brett Mullins

Post by Foxhound »

good post michael :clap:

equally good points in your response dub, emotion is essential. But not what michael was trying to get at, well not how i took it anyway.
K Man
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Alan Tongue

Post by K Man »

Rick James wrote:

Hi Nollsy! :welcome:
Go the mighty GREEN MACHINE.

RAIDERS FOR PM :)
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Half the posts here during the season are complaints about people whingeing and posts calling people negos for stating their opinions. I prefer the posts that are actually about football to those, even if some people dont like what is been said.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Stevie wrote:good post michael :clap:

equally good points in your response dub, emotion is essential. But not what michael was trying to get at, well not how i took it anyway.
I wasn't trying to say that we remove the emotion and the passion - its more that some people have got to the stage where they are looking for things to feel aggrieved about. Whoever said that 'paranoia is a disease unto itself' was spot on - it becomes an unhealthy obsession eg. we get 6 in the top 20 of the last 30 years yet somehow we're still not given enough recognition!
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Woodgers wrote: Best post of seen on here in a while I reckon. Well done mate.
Worst post ive seen in a while. Way to contribute Woodgers!
TiTTieS_[CNTDN]
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by TiTTieS_[CNTDN] »

Michael wrote:

I wasn't trying to say that we remove the emotion and the passion - its more that some people have got to the stage where they are looking for things to feel aggrieved about. Whoever said that 'paranoia is a disease unto itself' was spot on - it becomes an unhealthy obsession eg. we get 6 in the top 20 of the last 30 years yet somehow we're still not given enough recognition!
Wouldn't have a clue about who deserves to be in the top 20 or 30, but have to question your notion that 6 is enough. What if there were 15 players who genuinely deserved to be there? Seems to me that you've plucked out a half arsed argument here.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Raider_69 wrote:
Woodgers wrote: Best post of seen on here in a while I reckon. Well done mate.
Worst post ive seen in a while. Way to contribute Woodgers!
I decided to try the mysterious one line post. Can't say I cared too much for it actually.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's a debate forum. It's here for people to express their views and opinions (within reasonable bounds).

I agree with Ed - I prefer reading posts debating the football, the footballers and the Raiders.

People express views on football and the Raiders and then others express their own views on the topic. That's all people are doing... and surprise, surprise... that's what happens on a debate forum!
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Random Ink wrote:
Michael wrote:

Wouldn't have a clue about who deserves to be in the top 20 or 30, but have to question your notion that 6 is enough. What if there were 15 players who genuinely deserved to be there? Seems to me that you've plucked out a half arsed argument here.

Put it this way - Brisbane won 6 premierships in this period, they got the same number of players as us. The great Parramatta side of the 1980's got four players. Now, like you, I'm not sure I could decide who should be there, but there's no doubt that our side is well-represented among that list, even to point of getting as many players as a team that won 3 more premierships in that period of time. I don't see how anyone could complain that we were overlooked in that poll.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael wrote:
Random Ink wrote:
Michael wrote:

Put it this way - Brisbane won 6 premierships in this period, they got the same number of players as us. The great Parramatta side of the 1980's got four players. Now, like you, I'm not sure I could decide who should be there, but there's no doubt that our side is well-represented among that list, even to point of getting as many players as a team that won 3 more premierships in that period of time. I don't see how anyone could complain that we were overlooked in that poll.
Haven't seen a single post claiming the Raiders were overlooked in this way. People are debating positions on the list.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

greeneyed wrote:
Michael wrote:
Random Ink wrote:
Michael wrote:

Haven't seen a single post claiming the Raiders were overlooked in this way. People are debating positions on the list.
If we get six of the top twenty, who gives a **** what order they are in? Its a purely subjective poll compiled by a list of 'experts' (and I use that term loosely).
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Dont stress Michael, its off season on a league forum, thats what happens, people try to find things to talk about, most of them arnt worth talking about, injury,when the season kicks in we'll have player form, u/20's, injuries, suspension, up coming games... a lot of legitimate footy talk
20 odd more days mate, you can do it :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Michael wrote:
Random Ink wrote:
Michael wrote: I wasn't trying to say that we remove the emotion and the passion - its more that some people have got to the stage where they are looking for things to feel aggrieved about. Whoever said that 'paranoia is a disease unto itself' was spot on - it becomes an unhealthy obsession eg. we get 6 in the top 20 of the last 30 years yet somehow we're still not given enough recognition!

If we get six of the top twenty, who gives a sh*t what order they are in? Its a purely subjective poll compiled by a list of 'experts' (and I use that term loosely).
A lot of people do, cause a lot of people are talking about it... but just don't read that thread if you don't like it!
Royston Lightning 1
Peter Jackson

Post by Royston Lightning 1 »

I am sure you understand irony of whining about whining.

Is this just another poso/nego argument?
Panthers for the Spoon. Word has it Poland had a stronger defensive line in 1939.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I dont see the paranoia as described by michael and woodgers. If someone is upset that so and so is connected to a particular club, then I understand why they might be upset. Its human nature, its a feeling of betrayel.

If someone opens a thread with their opinion on issue (like commentators who suck ;) ) then a lot of people will respond to that, because IMO we are all sick to death of the love affair these commentators have with their own players or clubs. Hearing Gus go on and on about the Roosters/Anasta or Ikin with the Broncos, or whoever it gives me the sh*ts hearing that all the time, and more often than not these idiots know stuff all about us and their ignorance is frustrating.

If that is paranoia then I'm paranoid. I thought I was just frustrated! :?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Royston Lightning 1 wrote:I am sure you understand irony of whining about whining.

:opps I understand the irony - it just seems like every thread lately has been a competition about who can be more outraged about some small, trifling matter.eg 'Rugby league week becomes completely irrelevant' because Johns was voted the best instead of Big Mal. :roll:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael wrote:
Royston Lightning 1 wrote:I am sure you understand irony of whining about whining.

:opps I understand the irony - it just seems like every thread lately has been a competition about who can be more outraged about some small, trifling matter.eg 'Rugby league week becomes completely irrelevant' because Johns was voted the best instead of Big Mal. :roll:
The originator of that thread was not concerned with that at all. Clearly you didn't read it... but are whinging about it anyway! But keep on whinging... feel free!

To be clear, my view is Lewis should have been No. 1.

And I think Meninga should be the next Immortal.

It is also fair enough to question RLW's relevance when they give a vote on such a thing to Mark Geyer... IMO.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

To be fair michael, RLW has been irrelevent for eions, its ok for you're run of the mill articles but when it comes to serious stuff, they struggle, its like the Ray Haddley of magazines
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

i switched to big league 2 yrs ago, much better read imo
TiTTieS_[CNTDN]
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by TiTTieS_[CNTDN] »

Michael wrote:
Random Ink wrote:
Michael wrote:

Good reply. I find it helps no end to justify your position.

Anyway, moving swiftly along..... I received this email today and they link the article at the bottom: http://www.nswtf.org.au/media/latest_20 ... dcast.html

If you want to see paranoia, check this out. The NSW Teachers Federation seems to have no idea. I couldn't get a job even out back in the **** areas of NSW! They think that allowing schools to select who they want rather than allow the DET to do it would disadvantage these western areas. If I can't get a job there, what the **** are they complaining about? They obviously aren't struggling to attract teachers there. In fact, it may even help them when there are some 60,000 odd teachers who could give up casual relief and head there straight away. <//--End rant-->
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Michael is a member of an NRL group trying to relocate us to Tasmania IMO. Poor form buddy.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

TiTTieS_[CNTDN] wrote:
Anyway, moving swiftly along..... I received this email today and they link the article at the bottom: http://www.nswtf.org.au/media/latest_20 ... dcast.html

If you want to see paranoia, check this out. The NSW Teachers Federation seems to have no idea. I couldn't get a job even out back in the sh*t areas of NSW! They think that allowing schools to select who they want rather than allow the DET to do it would disadvantage these western areas. If I can't get a job there, what the f**k are they complaining about? They obviously aren't struggling to attract teachers there. In fact, it may even help them when there are some 60,000 odd teachers who could give up casual relief and head there straight away. <//--End rant-->
I don't get it. All that video tells me is how boring teachers and teaching is.