New Classic View

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

New Classic View

Post by greeneyed »

We are road testing a new "Classic View" skin... which will become the main skin, as it is free of bugs (relatively).

Any comments on the colours welcome before they get finalised.
jedski
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

sucks balls, bring back the old one.

or at least have the colour set as an option
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Quite a number of others disliked it...

However, we have had little in the way of concrete suggestions on how to improve...

So now is the final chance for constructive comment.

[*Edited by GE who is now in a better mood*]
Last edited by greeneyed on April 3, 2007, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

I must say that this one is significantly better. This is my opinion but I will also include a reason why.

I won’t go on and on but colour relationships are very important in presenting a professional webpage and the first thing people will notice are the colours. Using colours that are not complementary for your primary website colours are the first mistakes of many and make a website, poster or graphic look tacky and amateur. This was compounded in the previous theme because the colours of blue, green were yellow are very saturated and bright.

Blue and green may be on the raiders jersey but it is used in small amounts of blue. The half blue half green layout we did have on this website was confusing and chaotic for the eye because both colours shared the same hue. using a monochromatic colour like the dark grey, makes to green "pop" and means the yellow links are easier to read.
Other may very well disagree with me and that is totally fine. Regardless I can say without doubt that this current theme is much better for a website, presents a much more professional look and is much easier to read.

I back this up with your comments that many people reported that they "hated it". This is a perfect example. Whether they know it or not, people are critics of colour, and experts for that matter, we see in colour every day and the eye HATES having competition for its attention. This is the basic rule for anything visual. The old [brightblueandgreen] are both primary colours and the blue background was pushing for your attention when you’re trying to read what was in the primary window and you don’t need a degree in colour theory to know it just "doesn’t look good". The current [greenanddarkgrey] is easier to read, looks more professional. Of course everyone perceives colour differently so there is nothing wrong with people liking to old style, however I’m especially confident many more will like this one.

Well done much improved
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

It's awful looking, imo but would be more than willing to keep it if it gets rid of all these bugs and means I don't have to log on every time I'm at work.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

the colours are way too strong IMO. maybe if you went for colours a little less bright. the orange the the yellow are especially bad.

my advice, go for something similar to extreme morpheus.

thanks for doing what you can stephen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Extreme morpheus green will be an option available, but for me the green is very washed out and the board is difficult to read.

For the Classic View skin, would it help if the dark grey were changed to the same off-white/grey that forms the background to posts? And we change as much writing where the dark grey is to black? That's the only other option I can think of to make it more neutral.
jedski
Bradley Clyde

Post by jedski »

greeneyed wrote:Quite a number of others disliked it...

However, we have had little in the way of concrete suggestions on how to improve...

So now is the final chance for constructive comment.

[*Edited by GE who is now in a better mood*]
That's a **** cop out - I was quite happy with the previous colour combinations, thus I made no response to how to improve things. There are other colour schemes available, the Morpheous Extreme and the Subsilver, all I'm saying is have other options.
Finite wrote:I won’t go on and on but colour relationships are very important in presenting a professional webpage and the first thing people will notice are the colours. Using colours that are not complementary for your primary website colours are the first mistakes of many and make a website, poster or graphic look tacky and amateur. This was compounded in the previous theme because the colours of blue, green were yellow are very saturated and bright.
I agree, when you're trying to attract members to the site, you need to take those things into account, however once you've kept them, what is wrong with allowing them the freedom to customise the forum as desired? But if having a "corporate" look is so important to the site, why not delete all the other options?
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Why are some of the threads grey and some black.

I also think the Black background should be a more whiter/grey colour.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

i liked it how it was before :(
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

and also, not sure if this is a problem for everyone, but whenever there is a quote in a post, there are no names of the original posters :?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Black are unread/grey are read.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pacman wrote:and also, not sure if this is a problem for everyone, but whenever there is a quote in a post, there are no names of the original posters :?
Advised them of this problem.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

So what are the problems? Why do we need a new skin? I use Morpheus eXtreme Green, and I think that easily loks the best, and don't have any problems with it. I would just like to know what everyone else is experiencing?
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
jedski
Bradley Clyde

Post by jedski »

pacman wrote:i liked it how it was before :(
I'm with you brother!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

The new colour schemes are a big improvement, and thanks to Finite for some great constructive comments.

Agree the grey should be a bit paler, other than that I think it's looking solid. Can the orange be replaced though, it doesn't fit in with the other stuff, or is that just a phpBB thing?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm with thickos, reckon it looks good. Maybe a paler grey pehaps.
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think they have put the paler grey in now... Can't be much paler without affecting the colours of the writing...

I think we are getting close to signing off on this version, and some of the small glitches are fixed now too.
Danster
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Danster »

Really like how the site looks at this time
viking
Brett Mullins

Post by viking »

must say i'm a fan of it,only complaint is that as soon as i log in it goes back to the old one
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

viking wrote:must say i'm a fan of it,only complaint is that as soon as i log in it goes back to the old one
You need to make sure your profile selects "Classic" if you want that one.

The default is going to be "Classic"... but if you have another option selected on your profile, it will switch to that when you log in.

If you want to maintain Morpheus Extreme Green... there is an option on the "Profile" selection to allow you to do that... you can even have the simpler blueish SubSilver...

But we will be only maintaining the Classic view from here in serious fashion. Costs too much to do otherwise.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

:( tricked me this morning, didn't realise I wasn't logged in with the change to classic as the default.
Only took 1 go to log in :D
Edrick The Entertainer