Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Nick and Nick's rant page

Post by The Nickman »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:56 am Let's recap it for all those serving bans at the time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
They were talking about Hayne's rape case and someone was trying to say the victim was lying about it, to which Pigman responded by asking them what he would do, if, in a hypothetical situation one of his daughters claimed the same thing happened to her and someone told her or him that she was lying. Completely reasonable hypothetical, to which the person was rightfully angry at the proposition. They wanted the post to be taken down because it exposed their own hypocrisy, not because of any manufactured offence. The fact that it was deleted and that now they are trying to claim it was a group decision is completely typical of this moderation team.
In all honesty, this absolutely nailed what happened.

And I think we can all agree this is one man’s fault... dubby

Fire up the cannon!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Notaroboticfish wrote:No, I only stormed off. I never said I'd never post again
My bad Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Notaroboticfish wrote: April 5, 2018, 11:38 am
Captain Punish wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:56 am Let's recap it for all those serving bans at the time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
They were talking about Hayne's rape case and someone was trying to say the victim was lying about it, to which Pigman responded by asking them what he would do, if, in a hypothetical situation one of his daughters claimed the same thing happened to her and someone told her or him that she was lying. Completely reasonable hypothetical, to which the person was rightfully angry at the proposition. They wanted the post to be taken down because it exposed their own hypocrisy, not because of any manufactured offence. The fact that it was deleted and that now they are trying to claim it was a group decision is completely typical of this moderation team.
Excuse me, but I've posted exactly what happened.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Nick and Nick's rant page

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, that’s how I remember it too. I think you also said TR was an arrogant jerk and one of the worst people imaginable, and having met TR on several occasions, I can also confirm that to be quite true
Last edited by The Nickman on April 5, 2018, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:01 pm
Yeah, that’s how I remember too. I think you also said TR was an arrogant jerk and one of the worst people imaginable, and having met TR on several occasions, I can also confirm that to be quite true
You see - in an otherwise fractious thread, we've managed to find common ground.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 11:25 am
gangrenous wrote:Do you know how much time I’ve saved in the last few months not arguing with pigman? It’s saved my marriage!
Yeah, but it ruined Pigman’s
:roflmao bewdiful
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 5, 2018, 11:12 am
Pigman wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:58 am Hang on... careful here TR... i still have those PM's and your position was indeed made quite clear
Pigman wrote:Honestly question, do you feel my remarks in that discussion were out of line or not within the guidelines of the forum?
That was my direct question to you privately.
And you answered it. I'm not going to go against forum guidelines and reveal your verbatim response to me, because that WOULD be against forum guidelines. But you could reveal that. ;)
I believe that I said that I did not think you were out of line, but that people get weird about their kids and it's not worth beating your head against that wall.

But I can't remember the details of the coversation and do not have the PMs to reference.

I also drink a lot of wine and could have said **** anything, let's face it.

Whatever the case, it's nice to have you back, you recalcitrant ****.
Fair re: wine. :lol:

Correct, you didnt feel i was out of line and felt the point was a good one and was well made
Dubby also reviewed the discussion and stated he had no issues. The only time the issue arose was when the poster in question got upset that he was asked to consider how he would feel if his daughter was subjected to his behaviour by a perfect stranger. It's not against forum guidelines to challenge views and behaviours by asking a poster if they'd apply that same energy against someone they loved or cared for. That's holding someone to intellectual and emotional honesty. If that hurts their feelings, the response to a complaint SHOULD NOT be the suppress that. The moderators are here to uphold the rules, not feelings.
Once you start moderating based on feelings, it's very easy to slip into moderating peoples criticisms of players/coaches/administrators based on their feelings. A slip which has already began.

I've said my piece, the only reason i returned was because this was raised and i felt Greeneyed portrayed it inaccurately, and wished to set the record straight. I've got little interest in going around and around on this again, it's what ive done for 3 years with the administration and frustration involved in that is why i left.

So i've said my piece, set the record straight according to me. And now i leave, until the policy of conservative moderation changes.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I was wondering why that turkey wasn't around. Who else is in exile? This is great, I didn't know people cared so much about online chats.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well it was good to see you for a bit anyway, Pig. I also look forward to seeing more reasons Why Matt Sucks in the near future.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote:I was wondering why that turkey wasn't around. Who else is in exile? This is great, I didn't know people cared so much about online chats.
Just off the top of my head: hbomb, simo, Professor 85, Raider Bell, Michael, Decorous Muse... I’m sure there’s plenty more, that’s just my off the top list
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Guys like Stuat don’t post anymore either, but I don’t know their reasoning. The list I just rattled off were all people I know who are sitting on the sidelines for reasons similar to Pig
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Stuat was good, I miss reading his stuff.

I don't know much about moderation, or overzealous moderation and all the back and forth i've seen. This is the only forum I participate in and even this is sporadic.

What I will say is, most the blokes in exile there are a bunch of mates just talking nonsense on here filling up cyberspace. Get a WhatsApp group and leave TR and co to their wine! Not that I really care either way, this was an amusing distraction from the norm this morning. Now....back to harpooning the administration of this club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:21 pm
T_R wrote: April 5, 2018, 11:12 am
Pigman wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:58 am Hang on... careful here TR... i still have those PM's and your position was indeed made quite clear
Pigman wrote:Honestly question, do you feel my remarks in that discussion were out of line or not within the guidelines of the forum?
That was my direct question to you privately.
And you answered it. I'm not going to go against forum guidelines and reveal your verbatim response to me, because that WOULD be against forum guidelines. But you could reveal that. ;)
I believe that I said that I did not think you were out of line, but that people get weird about their kids and it's not worth beating your head against that wall.

But I can't remember the details of the coversation and do not have the PMs to reference.

I also drink a lot of wine and could have said **** anything, let's face it.

Whatever the case, it's nice to have you back, you recalcitrant ****.
Fair re: wine. :lol:

Correct, you didnt feel i was out of line and felt the point was a good one and was well made
Dubby also reviewed the discussion and stated he had no issues. The only time the issue arose was when the poster in question got upset that he was asked to consider how he would feel if his daughter was subjected to his behaviour by a perfect stranger. It's not against forum guidelines to challenge views and behaviours by asking a poster if they'd apply that same energy against someone they loved or cared for. That's holding someone to intellectual and emotional honesty. If that hurts their feelings, the response to a complaint SHOULD NOT be the suppress that. The moderators are here to uphold the rules, not feelings.
Once you start moderating based on feelings, it's very easy to slip into moderating peoples criticisms of players/coaches/administrators based on their feelings. A slip which has already began.

I've said my piece, the only reason i returned was because this was raised and i felt Greeneyed portrayed it inaccurately, and wished to set the record straight. I've got little interest in going around and around on this again, it's what ive done for 3 years with the administration and frustration involved in that is why i left.

So i've said my piece, set the record straight according to me. And now i leave, until the policy of conservative moderation changes.
And hopefully, I've explained what actually happened and that what was done was fully consistent with the forum guidelines.

I'm sorry if people don't post because they don't like the moderation. However, I would like to think people understand it is impossible to keep everyone happy, 100 per cent of the time. I would have hoped that people would recognise that there needs to be a bit of give and take. But this is the internet...

In any case, I will always aim to do my best to promote the interests of the forum community as a whole and uphold the forum guidelines.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Look, I still love ya, Fergus! I just think you’re a bit overzealous with your moderation at times

And all this trying to have the forum closer associated with the club I don’t agree with either. It’s supposed to be a fan forum first and foremost, and when the club or players are underperforming, fans should rightfully be allowed to vent their frustration

You can’t expect the kudos when you’re playing well, but then label fans keyboard warriors when you’re not. Hell, if our glorious coach had’ve given the players the kick up the backside they deserved when they first deserved it twelve months ago, we probably wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Now it’s too late
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Stuat and Thickos were both good value. Clever dudes.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Woodgers wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:23 pm I was wondering why that turkey wasn't around. Who else is in exile? This is great, I didn't know people cared so much about online chats.
i dont care about chats, online or otherwise. I do still have some level of care about the direction of a site I created and spent (far too) many hours in my formative years building. This is not remotely about the debate between the poster and I.
For whatever reason, despite stepping away from any official duties some time ago (for these very reasons i might add) i still feel SOME connection to this site and care about it's success.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Understood Pigman. You could always become a mod or admin if you want to help steer the ship ;)

This isn't the hardest board associated with the Raiders to get on! Not by a quadrillion.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Discard my 2nd sentence, didn't see your edit in time before I posted.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 12:49 pm Look, I still love ya, Fergus! I just think you’re a bit overzealous with your moderation at times

And all this trying to have the forum closer associated with the club I don’t agree with either. It’s supposed to be a fan forum first and foremost, and when the club or players are underperforming, fans should rightfully be allowed to vent their frustration

You can’t expect the kudos when you’re playing well, but then label fans keyboard warriors when you’re not. Hell, if our glorious coach had’ve given the players the kick up the backside they deserved when they first deserved it twelve months ago, we probably wouldn’t even be having this discussion. Now it’s too late
We have been aiming to have a better relationship with the club since the days of Neil Henry's final season. Nick will probably remember it... when the club called us to a meeting with CEO and coach about the forum... which I ended up having to front, in the shadows of a tram in the courtyard of the Dickson Tradies. It's nothing new. We have always permit criticism, and there's heaps of venting frustrations... the forum is full of it! But we do ask criticism not be over the top, and we accept no swearing, as that is generally associated with the over the top criticism. It is always possible for people to make their point without it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sounds like an interesting meeting...
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I wasn't in the meeting but I do remember it GE as I was there.

Ahhh the good old Raiders. Let's do business in a novelty item mainly used for kids Birthday parties. Maybe that's why we're having trouble with getting Papalli and Paulo to sign new deals.....can't fit into the tram.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: April 5, 2018, 1:19 pm Sounds like an interesting meeting... Image
PIgman was meant to go to that!

Instead at the last minute and after a drinking session that started at the Lighthouse pregame and continued at the Tradies post match I was roped in to attend.

I wish that was joke.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

argue with the pig if you self loathe

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Schifty wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 5, 2018, 1:19 pm Sounds like an interesting meeting... Image

Instead at the last minute and after a drinking session that started at the Lighthouse pregame and continued at the Tradies post match I was roped in to attend.

I wish that was joke.
I would seriously love a transcript of that meeting Image
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

T_R wrote:
My bad Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's every preview thread where "if Ricky does blah then I'm never posting again" only to return 5 mins after said thing happens, to continue posting
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: April 5, 2018, 5:35 pm
Schifty wrote:

I wish that was joke.
I would seriously love a transcript of that meeting Image
I **think** I have some recollection..

I had been drinking and it was nine years ago, but something as bizarre as that is not a thing you don't easily forget, especially some parts of it.. especially a certain coach not being happy with a certain banner that many in the forum were displaying in their signature.

To test my memory I think this happened on a Sunday match, possibly vs the Broncos.

Maybe GE can verify that.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Firstly, I respect Greeneyed’s efforts in managing the site both time wise and financially.

However I don’t post that much anymore because the ‘spirit’ of the site has been lost.

Back in the day, this place was vibrant and free and it was a tight-nit community of people being open and honest with thoughts and experiences.

We had a diverse range of views and thought and there was a side to the site that was a lot more personal - the betting thread, the hot or not thread and many more. People were really connected and got to know each other.

This site shouldn’t try to be aligned with the club and keep the club happy. That’s the role of the suck ups down at the Canberra Times drinking the cool aide. This site should be about passionate fans sharing that passion (however it may manifest itself) and we as a fan base should hold the Club to account.

The administrators and the coach and the players come and go. We the fans are rusted on and will be the only ones here for the long haul. This site shouldn’t be afraid to alienate the Club in tough times and we should ask the tough questions.

I feel like I’ve lost many friends over the years as a result of people dropping off the site. Muse, Begbie, Sossman, Michael, luffty, our Dr friend from the Gold Coast (scott - can’t remember his handle) and so many more.

Anyway, best of luck with everything
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are the betting thread and hot or not threads banned?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Nope, just deserted
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shezza wrote: April 5, 2018, 6:29 pm Firstly, I respect Greeneyed’s efforts in managing the site both time wise and financially.

However I don’t post that much anymore because the ‘spirit’ of the site has been lost.

Back in the day, this place was vibrant and free and it was a tight-nit community of people being open and honest with thoughts and experiences.

We had a diverse range of views and thought and there was a side to the site that was a lot more personal - the betting thread, the hot or not thread and many more. People were really connected and got to know each other.

This site shouldn’t try to be aligned with the club and keep the club happy. That’s the role of the suck ups down at the Canberra Times drinking the cool aide. This site should be about passionate fans sharing that passion (however it may manifest itself) and we as a fan base should hold the Club to account.

The administrators and the coach and the players come and go. We the fans are rusted on and will be the only ones here for the long haul. This site shouldn’t be afraid to alienate the Club in tough times and we should ask the tough questions.

I feel like I’ve lost many friends over the years as a result of people dropping off the site. Muse, Begbie, Sossman, Michael, luffty, our Dr friend from the Gold Coast (scott - can’t remember his handle) and so many more.

Anyway, best of luck with everything
Hi Shezza

Sorry you feel that way. But at one stage, the content of The Lime Lounge threads became so risque that it was inconsistent with The GH being a G rated site. We have a certain responsibility to the club we support to ensure that the leading supporters group has some basic standards. Fundamentally we're a forum for footy discussion... and some of the conversations were just not suitable for the site.

The site permits, indeed encourages, divergent views. The site is full of critical comments regarding the performance of the club at present... and people should feel free to hold the club to account in their posts if they wish. We've never sought to prevent that. We ask people don't swear and don't go over the top... but the site is brim full of critical comment. Especially right now. I'm not sure the people at the Raiders are "happy" with that... but I suspect they feel we at least are trying to promote good, constructive comment. We have never compromised our independence.

In any case, that's my take on it. The site started with a handful of people who had "met" on the internet. We've now got over 45,000 followers. I don't think there is any supporters group in the league which is as big. That's a big achievement for a club that is supposed to have the fewest supporters in the NRL. But the growth does make it a different experience over time... and I understand why people might hark for a different time... but we need to grow and change and expand on other platforms if we are not only to survive, but prosper. Feel free to PM me or ring me to chat about it if you wish.

GE
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Honestly the most offensive thing Greeneyed has ever done to me is edit my post to fix the punctuation and grammar
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well if you must know... I do like good grammar and punctuation!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The things you find when you're bored and truly browse the forum.

As I mentioned in the Hayne thread, repeatedly. The issue was and is as such. I was accused of 'putrid posting' for suggesting that some females have a tendency of throwing themselves at athletes and/or wealthy men. There is plenty of evidence of this occurring. Then in a deliberate attempt to get a rise out of me Pig lowered the tone of the discussion to include my daughters in a scenario/statistical analysis of rape. I asked him repeatedly to withdraw his assertion that I was 'putrid posting' particularly considering he 'lowered the bar' even further. He refused. So I asked for his post to be removed. To suggest that I was putrid posting and then to take it to an even more personal level and refuse to concede that accusing me of 'putrid posting' was ridiculous is ridiculous. I even stated that the point he was trying to make could just as easily be made without specific reference to anybodies children. I also pointed out that my children are minors and the lady in question is not. I also raised the point that the lady in question's case is in the public domain. My children are not.

The majority of the discussion is still there in the Hayne thread for all to see.

I never had an issue with Pig prior to or since that thread. I'm a little disappointed about his complete lack of conviction with his little tantrum, leaving the website just to slink back in periodically. :)
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I can't believe posters got their knickers in a twist over moving some posts around.

They left in 2016, the last time the raiders were any good. So it's clearly their fault we suck now.

If they came back and posted again we'd win the damn comp.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW - i also have never had an issue with gerg before or since. I stand by my claim that his victim shame was absolute disgusting and rightly called him out on it. I challenged his disgusting posting by framing the issue in a way that challenged him.
Moderators reviewed the posts at the time, universally cleared the posts. One saying it was a fair and valid point.

Greg complained to GE, as is his right. GE acquiesced to the frivolous complaint, which did not cross forum guidelines, the spare the feelings of a poster. As for making it personal, that's the entire point, if we men dont make this kind of attitude and behaviour personal, if we dont think about it in those terms, the situation will not improve. The attitudes continue. They MUST be challenged. At every turn.

It is incumbent on us as men to think about these matters on a personal level because that's the only way that drives us to change our behaviour. It's easy to ignore the stats by saying "well, that sucks but its not by problem", it's entirely different to ignore it and continue promoting victim shaming attitudes when it's pointed out, very directly, that guess what? It IS your problem. And will likely be your problem given the statistical probability. It's up to us, as fathers to raise young men who dont hold the views expressed in that thread, it's on us fathers to raise daughters who know their worth, their value and know that if something terrible happens to them, that they can tell their story and know they will be protected, believed and treated seriously, not blamed or have their character questioned by strangers who don't know them at all.

The fact this girl is not a minor doesnt mean she's game to be spoken about by strangers however we please without fear of being challenged.

If you DONT take that personally, if that's not on your mind as a father, and you resent being asked to think about this issue in that way, then your feelings DESERVE to be hurt. It was not a deliberate attempt to get under Greg's skin, it was a deliberate attempt to get a man with outdated attitudes to think about how he might feel if some one on the internet spoke of his girls the way he was speaking of this girl, who also has a father, a father who probably would be furious at the idea of some stranger accusing his daughter of essentially signing up for what is alleged to have happened to her. The idea of something happening to my little girl and having a pack of ***** on an internet forum questioning her is infuriating to me. Everything i do in this realm of life is in context of promoting attitudes and treating accusers in the same way i'd like my daughter treated.

That's the only way we fathers should do it.

Now to the core issue, the issue that had me leave the forum...

This level of moderation to spare the feelings of some has routinely happened for many years now and i've had this argument many times privately with the moderators. As i've outlined in this thread, my protest had little to do with this SPECIFIC case and more to do with the pattern of moderation, of which this was a prime example, which was and is completely contradictory to the foundations and values this place was start on.

Greg had a right to complain, everyone has that right. I still have no issues with him. He's got the right to feel what ever way he wants to about this. And the moderation team has the right to tell him to harden the **** up and tell him if he's not mature enough to deal with the blow back, perhaps slut shaming and victim blaming strangers on the internet is not the place for you to engage.

As for my periodically return... you can thank my wife for that, she was sick of me ranting about our idiot coach to her and begged me to go back to posting so she didnt have to listen to it any longer.

Also perfect that the issue here completely flies over the head of Dubby. You couldnt script it better.