A new site banner for The Greenhouse?

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

What sort of site banner would you like to see?

Existing animated site banner
No votes
Freddo's banner
40%
Cholztrad's banner
No votes
Guy Incognito's banner
53%
Gazzzaf's banner
7%

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

A new site banner for The Greenhouse?

Post by greeneyed »

So we are considering a new banner for 2011 for The Greenhouse. The current design is fantastic, but it is also a fairly large image in terms of bytes... So if you have suggestions for a new banner... and/or would like to design a new one... this is the place to post your proposals. Or if you'd like to keep the current one, again, give us the feedback.

For those designing a proposed new banner, all we ask is that they use the GH logo, incorporate THEGH.COM.AU URL and the site slogan... THE NUMBER ONE CANBERRA RAIDERS SUPPORTERS WEBSITE

And the banner needs to be 740X120 pixels. Remember it needs to fit the current site colours as well, as we won't be changing the phpbb skin for the site.

If we do use a banner submitted, all rights transfer to the site.

And here are high resolution versions of the site logo for use:

freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: A new site banner for The Greenhouse?

Post by freddo »

here is my work in progress item.

Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Call it off Freddo has nailed it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

whatwhat wrote:Call it off Freddo has nailed it.
I think we're going to leave this open over a fair bit of the off season. Lots of time yet! Plus if people want to make suggestions eg images to use, that would be welcome.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

yeh still got a few tinkers to do. i got a couple of ideas to upload also. if you wanna get involved ill put up the pds file so the rest of you photoshop experts can make some suggestions. this way we will come up with a banner we can all unite under
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

chuck a couple of older pics in that freddo and that would look verrry nice
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

will do tim just got a few different ideas

here is another one

this one is a bit rough but im still workin on the final product
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I'm all for the idea of getting rid of the .gif, personally, I've blocked it from showing up because it slows the rest of the GH down while its loading.

Might have a crack at doing one at a later date. I think it looks somewhat strange having real things and stylistic elements together in the banner, kind of like Space Jam with Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny side by side.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Sterlk wrote:I'm all for the idea of getting rid of the .gif, personally, I've blocked it from showing up because it slows the rest of the GH down while its loading.

Might have a crack at doing one at a later date. I think it looks somewhat strange having real things and stylistic elements together in the banner, kind of like Space Jam with Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny side by side.
well the previous banner is 8meg big. hence why its time for a new one.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by GreenSoul »

I like the current one.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

freddo wrote:
Sterlk wrote:I'm all for the idea of getting rid of the .gif, personally, I've blocked it from showing up because it slows the rest of the GH down while its loading.

It's also 121 frames long - looks pretty swish with smoothish animation, but sadly it's so huge.

I wouldn't mind a different .gif along the lines of what we already have: 5 or 6 frames, covering the last 29 years of the Raiders. There were some inspirational images last season, would be good to see some of them on the GH every day at the top of the screen.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Had a muck around with photoshop , I liked the Campo pic in the current logo so I thought I'll use it

freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Bipolar Bear wrote:
freddo wrote:

It's also 121 frames long - looks pretty swish with smoothish animation, but sadly it's so huge.

I wouldn't mind a different .gif along the lines of what we already have: 5 or 6 frames, covering the last 29 years of the Raiders. There were some inspirational images last season, would be good to see some of them on the GH every day at the top of the screen.

i could do a 5 or 6 frame one
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

cholztrad wrote:Had a muck around with photoshop , I liked the Campo pic in the current logo so I thought I'll use it

awesome work brother top effort
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

freddo wrote:
cholztrad wrote:Had a muck around with photoshop , I liked the Campo pic in the current logo so I thought I'll use it

awesome work brother top effort
Cheers, I really like the current logo... thought I'll try and keep a similar design
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Post by Guy Incognito »

Here is one I have made.

This one is an animated slide show with a few images of different eras in our history.

I'm still to work out why my pics keep going a little grainy when I save the gif file, the still jpg images look a lot crisper.

jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Guy Incognito wrote:Here is one I have made.

This one is an animated slide show with a few images of different eras in our history.

I'm still to work out why my pics keep going a little grainy when I save the gif file, the still jpg images look a lot crisper.
I haven't played around with gifs before, but when I tried making some avatars previously I'd find that my images looked great until I tried to export it as a jpeg, eventually I found a setting to increase the image quality. I presume this may be something similar.

Freddo???
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Bipolar Bear wrote:

I haven't played around with gifs before, but when I tried making some avatars previously I'd find that my images looked great until I tried to export it as a jpeg, eventually I found a setting to increase the image quality. I presume this may be something similar.

Freddo???

yup in photoshop you just go save for web and devices. it gives you drop down boxes and afew settings to play with
due to the fact of the compression styles of the format difference between gif and jpeg
Last edited by freddo on October 7, 2010, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by GreenSoul »

That one's pretty nice Guy, good job.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

bloody awesome effort mate
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some great designs, keep them coming! We'll have a poll for the finalists before deciding the winning concept.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

What font was used for the site logo?

I'll make one, though I won't be in too much of a hurry to do it considering the 'deadline' is the entire off-season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We'll probably be look to get it sorted well before the next season, so don't hold off too long!
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Okay, fair enough. But...
greeneyed wrote:For those designing a proposed new banner, all we ask is that they use the GH logo, incorporate THEGH.COM.AU URL and the site slogan... THE NUMBER ONE CANBERRA RAIDERS SUPPORTERS WEBSITE
I want to keep the website and the slogan styles consistent with the logo, so before I do anything I'll need to know what font the logo is (and it would be a good idea for others to use it as well).
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Sterlk wrote:Okay, fair enough. But...
greeneyed wrote:For those designing a proposed new banner, all we ask is that they use the GH logo, incorporate THEGH.COM.AU URL and the site slogan... THE NUMBER ONE CANBERRA RAIDERS SUPPORTERS WEBSITE
I want to keep the website and the slogan styles consistent with the logo, so before I do anything I'll need to know what font the logo is (and it would be a good idea for others to use it as well).
the logo was created ages ago by another poster from memory but theres the hi res jpeg in ge post what people have been using
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry Sterlk, I'm afraid I don't know the answer on the font.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

freddo wrote:
the logo was created ages ago by another poster from memory but theres the hi res jpeg in ge post what people have been using
The problem is keeping the same lettering style as the logo when you enter new text, which is what you need the font for.

I don't suppose anybody knows what font that is or who originally made the logo way back when? It just won't be as good unless they match. :doubt:
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Never mind... trail and error yields the result.

If anybody's interested in using the font that's in the logo for the rest of it, the font is "Haettenschweiler", should be standard in photoshop. At least it wasn't one of those custom fonts you have to download.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sterlk wrote:
freddo wrote:
The problem is keeping the same lettering style as the logo when you enter new text, which is what you need the font for.

I don't suppose anybody knows what font that is or who originally made the logo way back when? It just won't be as good unless they match. :doubt:
Finite made the banner, but he doesn't post anymore.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Sensational work guys, keep it up!

Can't wait for the final poll on these options... :clap:
Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

Can someone please make a good raiders 'Persona' for my firefox browser, thanks :D

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/demo_create
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Phoenix_Raider wrote:Can someone please make a good raiders 'Persona' for my firefox browser, thanks :D

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/demo_create

hey dude ill give it ago man.
Raiders Lime Milk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Malcolm Norman Meninga

Post by Raiders Lime Milk »

This banner is very, very good. Very slick. Well done.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

lots of good entries, i like that one by Guy Incognito best thus far
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

greeneyed wrote:
Sterlk wrote:
freddo wrote:

Finite made the banner, but he doesn't post anymore.
The font from the "GH" text is 'Impact'

The "greenhouse.com" text is ' Bank Gothic'