A quick word on quotes

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

A quick word on quotes

Post by TiTTieS_[CNTDN] »

Yo, fellow ghers. Our good friend, Mr greeneyed, is a tad pissed off with the state of affairs regarding improper use of the quote function in the user control panel. So, that being the case, I have decided to put together this guide on using the quote function. This assumes you want to check the code as it appears in your text editing box.

Module 1: HTML. The forum software uses HTML in the processing of your posts. A big part of HTML is that changes made to text are enclosed in open and close tags. For example, if you want to make a word appear in bold, you put a pair of tags around the word to be made bold. In this case, you would use <b>word</b>. Naturally, if this was to work here, then you would not be able to see the code used. What I have done is to use a < instead of a [.

Module 2: Quotes. To quote a person using phpBB, you type/copy the text and surround it by <quote> text </quote>. Of course, you use the square brackets instead of the triangular ones above.

Module 3: Technicalities. Tags have to be accurate. For example, opening the tag as <quote> only to close it with the mispelling of </qoute> will not work and you will see all code (as you can see my quote is not actually quoted!). A second common error is to try to use two functions at once, such as making a quote bold. Here you need to make sure that you go <quote> <bold> text </bold> </quote> rather than
[bold] text
[/quote] [/bold].

Direct input from the man himself here:
greeneyed wrote:If you are incapable of working all this out... then don't use the quote function! And, more particularly, don't try and add bold in the middle of quotes! And then if you see someone has stuffed it up, then don't quote somone else's stuffed up quoting!
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Re: A quick word on quotes

Post by Sasha »

TiTTieS_[CNTDN] wrote:Yo, fellow ghers. Our good friend, Mr greeneyed, is a tad pissed off with the state of affairs regarding improper use of the quote function in the user control panel. So, that being the case, I have decided to put together this guide on using the quote function. This assumes you want to check the code as it appears in your text editing box.
Module 1: HTML. The forum software uses HTML in the processing of your posts. A big part of HTML is that changes made to text are enclosed in open and close tags. For example, if you want to make a word appear in bold, you put a pair of tags around the word to be made bold. In this case, you would use <b>word</b>. Naturally, if this was to work here, then you would not be able to see the code used. What I have done is to use a < instead of a [. [/quote]

Module 2: Quotes. To quote a person using phpBB, you type/copy the text and surround it by <quote> text </quote>.
Of course, you use the square brackets instead of the triangular ones above.
Module 3: Technicalities. Tags have to be accurate. For example, opening the tag as <quote> only to close it with the mispelling of </qoute> will not work and you will see all code (as you can see my quote is not actually quoted!). A second common error is to try to use two functions at once, such as making a quote bold. Here you need to make sure that you go <quote> <bold> text </bold> </quote> rather than
[bold] text
[/quote] [/bold].
Direct input
from the man himself here:
greeneyed wrote:If you are incapable of working all this out... then don't use the quote function! And, more particularly, don't try and add bold in the middle of quotes! And then if you see someone has stuffed it up, then don't quote somone else's stuffed up quoting!

well said.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Banned. :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote:Banned. :lol:
The moderators at least should be able to work it out by now!
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

[quote"Schifty"]
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] wrote:Yo, fellow ghers. Our good friend, Mr greeneyed, is a tad pissed off with the state of affairs regarding improper use of the quote function in the user control panel. So, that being the case, I have decided to put together this guide on using the quote function. This assumes you want to check the code as it appears in your text editing box.
Module 1: HTML. The forum software uses HTML in the processing of your posts. A big part of HTML is that changes made to text are enclosed in open and close tags. For example, if you want to make a word appear in bold, you put a pair of tags around the word to be made bold. In this case, you would use <b>word</b>. Naturally, if this was to work here, then you would not be able to see the code used. What I have done is to use a < instead of a [. [/quote]

Module 2: Quotes. To quote a person using phpBB, you type/copy the text and surround it by <quote> text </quote>.
Of course, you use the square brackets instead of the triangular ones above.
[bold] text
[/quote] [/bold].
Direct input
from the man himself here:

well said.
huh?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award