Club GH - Give a little back

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Club GH - Give a little back

Post by greeneyed »

There won't be any compulsory fees for the site, so you can rest easy there.

We will be looking at a voluntary Pay Pal donation system and some discrete advertising on the site via Google Ads. Virtually all forums run with some advertising. We've avoided it to date, but to be honest, the Administration can't keep meeting the costs.

Finite is right as well. You can contribute to the site in other ways... and offers of help are welcome... for example, Finite produced the fantastic animated banner for the site and runs the Caption Contest, with prizes offered out of his own pocket... all volunteered to help make the site better.

The voluntary contributions to making the site better are really appreciated.

And UJL... no, I'm not a hit man. :lol:
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

Raider_69 wrote::lol: all the goodens are taken marko, woodgers, gcr, myself, we're all off the market

you and tutt would have to bring in the coin
woah woah woah, slow down- ALL the goodens?

i think i could swindle fiddie out of someone ;)
greenin2902
Peter Jackson

Post by greenin2902 »

There are over 1000 people who have registered on this forum, and if half of them are regular posters, and every one of them contributed $5 - thats an easy $2,500.

It's probably peanuts compared to the total costs of running this wonderful place but I'm sure GE and others would agree that every little bit helps.

It might be worth considering showing in every posters profile how much they have contributed towards the running of the site. Maybe a similar system to the number of posts/ player's names relationship.
2902 For Life
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I don't think people's donations should be shown ... it would quickly become elitist.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Just curious on how much it cost to run this site. If we are talking about a couple of thousand of dollars, then perhaps approaching the canberra raiders to foot the bill. I know that we dont always have a nice thing to say about how they get there business done, however having the views of the target fan base on one web site would be too important to lose.

For a million dollar business, im sure this website would be a write off!
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

deanoman wrote:Just curious on how much it cost to run this site. If we are talking about a couple of thousand of dollars, then perhaps approaching the canberra raiders to foot the bill. I know that we dont always have a nice thing to say about how they get there business done, however having the views of the target fan base on one web site would be too important to lose.

For a million dollar business, im sure this website would be a write off!
The club won't fund our site. We have to support ourselves to remain independent. Freedom of speech is one of the greatest assets to the GH, I don't think we can give that away.

Whilst we can maintain and improve cooperation with the club we need to remain non-affiliated with Raiders Football Club business operations, we would be in a very different place then. The club are taking steps to help as they are beginning to realise the GH's importance as a brilliant basis for ideas and perceptions of fans views.
Last edited by Butters on June 26, 2008, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

it would be good to have a vip option or gh donator thingo as your user bar. possibly a different coloured name on the legend, like admins or mods, but for donator. a lot of forums have this.
pacman
Jason Croker

Post by pacman »

I would definately donate to the site but I refuse to get paypal.

Those are my terms. :P
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

I think that a bit of help is a great idea. I'll do whatever I can but as this site grows things need to change to be a little more professional as we are getting a fair amount of traffic now and even the press looks here.
Bundy
Peter Jackson

Post by Bundy »

I agree totally with remaining independent of the club.
Last edited by Bundy on June 27, 2008, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bundy
Peter Jackson

Post by Bundy »

I never stopped to think that this site cost money to run. On Monday I paid a buck for the Telegraph to read Main Game. It was two pages about how bad the Bulldogs are going and failed to discuss the game. The GH is a place where all news on the Raiders can be found in one place. $10 (or more if required) to GH for 1 year is only ten rubbish Sydney papers for a year. Let me know the account details I send my subscription over now.
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

I'd pay but not with a paypal account as someone suggested. I had one of those with ebay. As I didn't use it much it got deactivated and I can't start a new one.

Wouldn't be able to cope without the GH.

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - 'We Are The Raiders Army'
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Bundy wrote:The GH is a place where all news on the Raiders can be found in one place. $10 (or more if required) to GH for 1 year is only ten rubbish Sydney papers for a year. Let me know the account details I send my subscription over now.
x 2 :thumbsup
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
greenmachine3
Gary Coyne

Post by greenmachine3 »

x3 :thumbsup
And Canberra, the team that keeps surprising critics and punters after almost annually being tipped to finish last, is now looming as the side most likely to climb into the top four
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Shezza wrote:
Bundy wrote:The GH is a place where all news on the Raiders can be found in one place. $10 (or more if required) to GH for 1 year is only ten rubbish Sydney papers for a year. Let me know the account details I send my subscription over now.
x 2 :thumbsup
Can we make it clear that this would NOT be a subscription! If you can't contribute for any reason it doesn't mean you are any less of a member of the site. It wouldn't discount you from any part of the site either.

I would be more than happy to contribute, but a subscription would be a silly idea. It would drive people away and be a massive backwards step for the site.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Whatever we do...
There won't be any compulsory fees for the site, so you can rest easy there.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

A voluntary donation sounds like a good idea.

I'd be more than happy to chuck in a few bucks to make sure this place keeps on going.

I would suggest a little notation in people's mini-profile just under the avatar maybe, with a note that they are a contributor/sponsor/whatever word you want to use. It's just a little recognition that you are helping to keep the site running without making it an elitest pissing contest about how much you donated.
marcofski
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Gamblor

Post by marcofski »

Sounds like a great idea to me, count me in.
I dont know what id do for at least 6 hours a day at work if it werent for this site :D
My favorite forum member is 100%Green. Why? Because anyone who can convince my wife who runs two watch shops and doesnt realy like the Raiders to buy me a limited edition centenary of league Raiders watch is alright in my books.

It's hard god-damn work being a Raiders supporter!
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

I will be setting up an account in the name of the GH on tuesday, once we've got that and a paypal account what we can do is give you the option of donating via paypal or direct donation to the GH bank account, we'll keep a detailed list of those donating and how much, when this all goes ahead we will keep things as transparent as possible, the last thing we want is you blokes thinking me and GE are spending you're donations on a nice meal and some wine :lol:

Im not a fan of club or subscriptions of any type, nor do i think publically stating how much you donate is a good idea. Ideally id like to keep it private and i am willing to look into ideas on what we can give back to the contributing members, my idea is a custume rank under your user name that indicates you're a donator... but thats just an idea

as GE state, we will not ever persue compulsary payment. Its purely voluntery, and the reason i think keeping donations private is a good idea is to avoid elitism... the last thing we want is people trying to one up themselves against others or having how much people have or have not donated used against them.

Some people might donate more then others, thats their choice based on their financial situation and how much value they feel they get from this site. Every dollar donated, is a dollar admin doesn't have to shell out for, so it all counts.

My idea would be to run a drive twice a year. At the start and end of the footy season, where we'll ask those who wish to donate, to do so. Of course the details and accounts will be open all year around for anyone willing to throw some coin in at any point but i think if we can get 2 big drives a year, we'll pretty much become self sufficent.
marcofski
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Gamblor

Post by marcofski »

Out of curiosity how much does it cost per year to run this site?
My favorite forum member is 100%Green. Why? Because anyone who can convince my wife who runs two watch shops and doesnt realy like the Raiders to buy me a limited edition centenary of league Raiders watch is alright in my books.

It's hard god-damn work being a Raiders supporter!
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

my idea is a custume rank under your user name that indicates you're a donator... but thats just an idea
Bring it on. I'd pay a lot to have my Todd Carney ranking back. :cry:

Oh, or do you just mean the word 'donator' will be there?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Im open to either or any suggestion
if people are going to donate cash, i dont mind taking the time to collect and impliment custome ranks
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

Actually it could be a fun thing to do at the start of each year to auction off the names of current squad as custom ranks... :D

Perhaps that's something that could be done in addition to the 'donator/contributer' tag thing.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Done and done - I want my David Howell rank back!
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Michael wrote:Done and done - I want my David Howell rank back!
I think custom ranks should reflect the person.

You'll be getting 'deviant'
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Lime Green wrote:Actually it could be a fun thing to do at the start of each year to auction off the names of current squad as custom ranks... :D

Perhaps that's something that could be done in addition to the 'donator/contributer' tag thing.
thats not a bad idea actually.
We welcome all ideas like this, we've got some leg work to do in the mean time, such as setting up the bank and paypal accounts aswell as setting the ads up
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

I'll have 'infidel' then. :lol:
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Yeah the odd custom rank never goes astray... :cool:
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

Rick James wrote:Yeah the odd custom rank never goes astray... :cool:
Show off! :x

:lol:
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

sssh!! :lol: :D
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Allot of forums that accept donations will have a star or small banner/title above the members avatar which says hey are a donator or contributor, I think thats a good idea without it becoming too elitist.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

I'll wire a donation as soon as the details are up. Pound for pound this is the best site to get Raiders news, and at times its simply best for ANY football news.
Someone referred to buying rubbish Sydney papers for a buck a pop in comparison... and thats exactly how I see it.
I can understand people not wanting to pay up, but me personally I'm happy to. Even with the massive differences of opinion on here at times I still think its a brilliant site.

I'm also all for raffles of items (both tangible and electronic forum features), although i do expect there'd be hurdles in the way of transperancy and/or legal issues. But why not try things anyway... people like to get stuff in return, so if you guys who run the show can do it in a manner that helps you financially in running this site, I'd be keen to see it go ahead.

EDIT: In saying all that, I am quite curious for a rough estimate on the actual costs incurred in running/maintaining this site. :) Yep, it's nosey, but I'm not gonna lie, I'd like to know a rough breakdown.
Raiders member no# 2278.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Finite wrote:Allot of forums that accept donations will have a star or small banner/title above the members avatar which says hey are a donator or contributor, I think thats a good idea without it becoming too elitist.
definitely needs this..
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

I'll have luke freaking Rooney :roll:

Seriously though happy to chuck in $20 every now and then
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Greetings from Toronto, Canada!

Great idea IMO, I'm all for it - voluntary donations are the way to go, there will be no obligation for any members to pay up in order to keep using the site or anything along those lines. The site is growing at a large rate and with the additional members and exposure this place now gets, the running costs and time committed to maintaining its professionalism is crucial.