Some friendly reminders

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Some friendly reminders

Post by greeneyed »

Just wanted to put up some reminders to all the valued members of The Greenhouse about the site guidelines.

First, the Greenhouse guidelines provide that personal attacks and excessive swearing should be avoided. We have word censors on the site, for the very good reason that the site is very widely read by a wide variety of audiences. Many posters are putting up variations of swear words to get round the word censors... but we'd prefer that didn't happen. The use of these words often comes hand in hand with personal attacks, both on figures at the club and fellow members - which we want to see avoided. So we'd be grateful if you avoided the swearing and personal attacks. It isn't necessary or desirable to call people retards, dogs etc etc. This is not to say comments that are critical cannot be made. Indeed, different views and opinions are what makes the forum interesting.

Second, we are getting some complaints about the number of new threads being created (which some users regard as unnecessary). We have Game Day threads, Post Match discussion threads, and Match Preview threads, so that discussion on these things can take place in the one spot. Before starting a thread... you might like to consider whether an existing thread is suitable for the comment you wish to make. Of course, we want to encourage people making comments... and if that means making a new thread, we certainly don't want to discourage that.

Grateful if you could take these points into account.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Re: Some friendly reminders

Post by Makaveli »

seems you are getting very anal about this. like when the got head thread was closed. i mean cmon are you for real.

getting complaints about new threads ****?? its a forum is it not
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

Agree with GE. His not asking for much X so I think it's pretty fair.

You'll Never Walk Alone!
RAIDERS MEMEBER #1919 - Bay 53 - Row S - Seat 18
Former Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder 2004 :)
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

X wrote:seems you are getting very anal about this. like when the got head thread was closed. i mean cmon are you for real.

getting complaints about new threads ****?? its a forum is it not
This site is run with the help of many people not Greeneyed alone. I agree with what he has posted and have also seen complaints. As the post said this is a forum where everyone is encouraged to contribute. But we all should do so sensibly.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

he's just saying that we shouldn't have 5 threads on campesy resigning and 7 on possible signings, we could just read through and i'm sure you will find one that relates to what you want to say, if not the go right ahead, make a new 1
raider 4 life
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Has Kevin Rudd taken over the forum?
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

nemesis wrote:he's just saying that we shouldn't have 5 threads on campesy resigning and 7 on possible signings, we could just read through and i'm sure you will find one that relates to what you want to say, if not the go right ahead, make a new 1
I agree, also it seems after each game we play their is 3 or 4 threads on particlular players...when you can easily say in the post match thread blah blah played well.........
In Ricky We Trust
RSK
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campo.

Post by RSK »

Although i agree that there is no need to have 5 threads about the exact same news article and they should be merged or deleted if that occurs. But this is a forum, if you think there is too many topics, then only post in the ones you want to. Other people might be interested in the others. There is clearly a pretty diverse demographic here and obviously some people will like certain topics more than others.
The world appears in shades of green.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Shezza wrote:Has Kevin Rudd taken over the forum?
Not at all
here's the situation guys
this forum has started to become big enough to be noticed and with that comes higher responsibility. We've got to realise this place is being used as a sample for the entire raiders fan based. If we're on here delivering personal attacks, then it reflects poorly on us as a group

besides Shezza, there is nothing the members have been asked to do in this thread that isnt already in our members guidelines. With regards to the first paragraph

the second is just about trying to keep the place as easy as possible for people to use
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Raider_69 wrote:
Not at all
this forum has started to become big enough to be noticed and with that comes higher responsibility. We've got to realise this place is being used as a sample for the entire raiders fan based. If we're on here delivering personal attacks, then it reflects poorly on us as a group

besides Shezza, there is nothing the members have been asked to do in this thread that isnt already in our members guidelines. With regards to the first paragraph

the second is just about trying to keep the place as easy as possible for people to use
I understand 100%. Sorry if I was offensive. Just me trying to be humerous.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Yeah have to agree to an extent, especially on personal attacks but surely there is still room for humour and fun, that "Head" thread for example, no harm in it and would not have been a bad reflection on Raiders fans
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

manbush wrote:Yeah have to agree to an extent, especially on personal attacks but surely there is still room for humour and fun, that "Head" thread for example, no harm in it and would not have been a bad reflection on Raiders fans
Unfortunately with that thread, some people went over the top. The posts had to be deleted and the thread locked as a result. The site moderators have made it clear what is acceptable and what is not over a long time. If posters cross the line, we are left with no option.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Ah cool, will have to trust the mods on that sorta thing i guess, things must have gone down hill since the last posts i saw
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Shezza wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:
Not at all

all good mate :lol:
i love a pot shot at krudd as much as the next passionate lib :D
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

Raider_69 wrote:
Shezza wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:
Not at all

all good mate :lol:
i love a pot shot at krudd as much as the next passionate lib :D
A passionate Lib from Penrith.... Now I've heard it all :lol:
Lurch
John Ferguson

Post by Lurch »

:clap: There has been way too many pointless threads this year. I never complained but it did keep me away from the forum for a while. Hopefully we see a change.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I concur with GE and 69.

Can anyone see the irony that the "got head" thread was locked yet Nick keeps his R69 name??? ;)

But back on topic, I agree that the personal attacks need to be limited and the number of threads esp. in regards to player movements is enough to turn me off the GH forever.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Lurch wrote::clap: There has been way too many pointless threads this year. I never complained but it did keep me away from the forum for a while. Hopefully we see a change.
Your one of the last person i wanna see missing from this place. You bring character here and I have ALWAY loved you aviator (when in Raiders jumper)
Lurch
John Ferguson

Post by Lurch »

david231280 wrote:
Lurch wrote::clap: There has been way too many pointless threads this year. I never complained but it did keep me away from the forum for a while. Hopefully we see a change.
Your one of the last person i wanna see missing from this place. You bring character here and I have ALWAY loved you aviator (when in Raiders jumper)
I love you too Dave. And I love your slippery sea creature. Your avatar is pretty good too ;)
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

urgh