Post refusal and "bots"

Suggestions or questions relating to The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Crusader
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Stone Cold

Post refusal and "bots"

Post by Raider Crusader »

Couldnt think of a better title... but yesterday whenever i tried to post in the "Game Day" thread, it wouldnt let me. It would come up with a message saying something like "additional posts have been made - you may want to revise your post". Well i didnt want to revise it, but it wouldnt let me post it. Happened about 3-4 times for different posts so i gave up.

And on another topic, whats the deal with "Google [bot]" "Yahoo [bot]" and "MSN [bot]" being users currently online???
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Re: Post Refusal? and "bots"

Post by david231280 »

Raider Crusader wrote:Couldnt think of a better title... but yesterday whenever i tried to post in the "Game Day" thread, it wouldnt let me. It would come up with a message saying something like "additional posts have been made - you may want to revise your post". Well i didnt want to revise it, but it wouldnt let me post it. Happened about 3-4 times for different posts so i gave up.

And on another topic, whats the deal with "Google [bot]" "Yahoo [bot]" and "MSN [bot]" being users currently online???
Hey leave my friends out of this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Post refusal and "bots"

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Crusader wrote:Couldnt think of a better title... but yesterday whenever i tried to post in the "Game Day" thread, it wouldnt let me. It would come up with a message saying something like "additional posts have been made - you may want to revise your post". Well i didnt want to revise it, but it wouldnt let me post it. Happened about 3-4 times for different posts so i gave up.

All you need do is hit the "Submit" icon again when you see that message.

The bots on line simply let us know which search engines bots are currently examining the site for new content.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

I didt hit "submit" again and again, but it still wouldnt post it...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shouldn't be doing that and I haven't had that problem. If it does, I suggest you use the copy function to ensure you have saved the text of your post, and then reload the main board and post it again in the thread of your choice.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

Its been happening again today, but luckily it it posted after i hit submit again.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Crusader wrote:Its been happening again today, but luckily it it posted after i hit submit again.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."
This happens if you are replying to a thread, and someone else has replied to the thread in the mean time. The system asks that question in those circumstances. All you need to do is hit Submit again, if you don't wish to review the post.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

id imagine youd be getting that message because there was a lot of activity in that thread during the time of your posting.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Raider Azz wrote:id imagine youd be getting that message because there was a lot of activity in that thread during the time of your posting.
Spot on.
Each time you tried to resubmit, there was a new post
i can look into the admin settings and see if it can be turned off but before that happened, the majority would have to want it
for mine its a good little add on
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried to post in the game day thread... i sat there for 15 mins and tried hit submit 11 times until it would actually post! Can we delete that stupid function!?!?!?! I DONT WANT TO REVIEW MY POST BECAUSE SOMEONE GETS IN BEFORE ME!!!!!!!!!
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

and now it took 5 attempts to submit 3-2-1 POTY points....
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

GRANTYRAIDER wrote:
edwahu wrote:Does anyone know how to stop the stupid "another post has been added" messages when you try and submit?
tell me 2 it takes 5 mins to post a message
Its not just me having this problem either...

seriously, we need to delete that stupid function, it's annoying and no-one uses it!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

It cant and wont be removed.
No matter how much you whinge about it, best to deal with it and move on
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

:lol:

I love it!
Ecz
Brett Mullins

Post by Ecz »

I'm Presuming its there to stop the same pont being made twice?
TORRENS TIGERS...2009 GH PREMIERSHIP
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Its to stop what essentially happens a lot in that particular thread
if a post is made before you submit yours, it asks you to revise. Essentially in this instance its to stop 30 blokes posting at the same time "Raiders TRY!!!!" or something similar
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

That's ridiculous... we never had the function before, so why "can't" it be removed?

And i'll whinge all i want... there's no point even trying to post on this site anymore if i have to sit here for 15 minutes hitting 'submit' 'submit' 'submit'!

And we still get about 30 posts saying "Raiders try" anyway, so the function is useless. Unless it get changed, I dont think ill be posting much, it's a waste of time. Most people would probably like to hear less of me anyway.

:thumbsdown
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RC. I suspect that we could do it... but it would cost us a lot of money to have the custom modification done. It costs enough to run the forum now. If you would like to finance this modification, please let us know... we'll get you a quote and I suspect it'll cost hundreds of dollars when done by our host company (even if there were a ready made phpbb solution).

This newest version of phpbb has a LOT of other advantages. We have installed it in full, as that is the cheapest thing to do.

We are actually keen to cover the basic costs of the forum... which we aren't even doing yet... let alone doing custom modifications/changes of this sort.

The vast bulk of people are happy to live with it.
Raider Crusader
John Ferguson

greeneyed wrote:RC. I suspect that we could do it... but it would cost us a lot of money to have the custom modification done. It costs enough to run the forum now. If you would like to finance this modification, please let us know... we'll get you a quote and I suspect it'll cost hundreds of dollars when done by our host company (even if there were a ready made phpbb solution).

This newest version of phpbb has a LOT of other advantages. We have installed it in full, as that is the cheapest thing to do.

We are actually keen to cover the basic costs of the forum... which we aren't even doing yet... let alone doing custom modifications/changes of this sort.

The vast bulk of people are happy to live with it.
At least that's a detailed explanation of why it can't be removed. Still annoying as anything though!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

whats Baidu [Spider]

i just noticed it before...whats it do?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Baidu is a Chinese search engine like Google. They send their bots through like Google and other search engines.