Post by Nick »

execellent article
:D
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Here's what i posted to save the team's bacon:

The Myth of the Supercoach

For a student of rugby league, it is a concept you cannot escape. The men who are put on a pedestal as the greatest coaches our great sport has seen, the men who have revolutionised the game from the sidelines. Names like Gibson, Bennett, Fulton… they stand alone as rugby league pioneers. One thing that also cannot be escaped are the monikers that the media love to put on these men, and one of them always remains a sticking point for myself; the title ‘supercoach.'

But what exactly is a ‘supercoach?' Looking at it literally you could almost imagine a god-like figure that not only brings out the best in their players, but turns an average group into a team that challenges for the premiership. Or someone who revolutionises the game through new tactics, forcing opposition teams to copy that style or fall behind. In our modern day game, Chris *'s ‘flat attack’ with the Storm, or Ricky *'s ‘defence as a form of offence’ could be examples of how coaches can change the way league is played.

But does this mean that these two are ‘supercoaches?' If you accumulate enough premierships across a coaching career, are you automatically a ‘supercoach?' In my opinion the answer is a resounding no – mainly because I believe there is no such thing as a supercoach.

There have been, and will continue to be, plenty of wonderful coaches who bring so much to rugby league. The term ‘legend’ can definitely be applied to men of the game such as Jack Gibson – not only for his successes, but the wealth of ideas that he brought to the game tactically. Similarly the number of ‘second generation’ coaches he has generated is significant. The same is said for Warren Ryan, whose coaching philosophies and penchant for thinking outside the square has undoubtedly influenced the coaching styles of modern day coaches such as Andrew Farrar and Michael Hagan.

However the concept of the ‘supercoach’ falls down is the significant contribution made by the players these coaches have at their disposal. I’m sure I’m not mistaken in saying every Canberra fan has a soft spot for Tim Sheens, mainly because his name is synonymous with a wonderful period of success at the Raiders. He inherited a team on the rise and guided them to three premierships while turning young talents into Origin and test players. If you were to look solely at this period of *'s coaching record, the term ‘supercoach’ automatically springs to mind – however since leaving the Raiders he took the Cowboys to two wooden spoons and has not got the Wests Tigers to the finals. So has Tim lost his touch, or is there another factor at play?

Clearly, the difference is in the playing rosters. Comparing different eras is not easy, but the lineup Sheens had to work with in the early nineties with Canberra is arguably one of the strongest club teams in history, with every position in the 1994 team filled by an Origin or Test player. Naturally to have such an arsenal of gifted players (in every position!) is a luxury not many coaches have, and it certainly helps win titles. The same can be said for Bennett who has had the skills of Langer and Lockyer, or Gibson who had the wonderful Parramatta team of the early eighties. If a team is laden with enough stars, even a fairly average coach can win a premiership.

Having said that, Tim Sheens is a great coach. *'s not a supercoach, as he hasn’t performed miracles at the Cowboys or Tigers. However the respect he commands, and his eye for talent makes him one of our greats. To take a punt on a ‘talented kid’ seen at a Sevens tournament and turn him into an overnight sensation, as is the case of Noa Nadruku. The recruitment of John Lomax and Quentin Pongia – no-names who became internationals. And more recently – bringing together the factions of the Tigers merger, restoring credibility to the club and the nurturing of Benji Marshall. These traits make Sheens a great coach – not the list of triumphs on his record.

The same applies to all of the great coaches of our game. The ability to spot talent, build a team and command respect is something reserved for only a select few. Over a career this will manifest itself in trophies and accolades, but none of these things makes someone a ‘supercoach’ - just a great coach.

+++++++++

you can thank me all later :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks thickos.
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Cheers thickos, you are this weeks Schifcofske of the forum 7's side :) :clap
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

yepo, thickos saved our **** today
i think we are in for a good show here, it will be close but im confident. :)
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

I'm very confident- Raiders by plenty, we got a great balance of articles :D
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

i think that's 69's best article i've seen from him.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Yep great article from 69, I think it will go even better than last week's article where he got 85 :D
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I hope so fellas, 85 was my PB, anything higher than that and ill be stoked, i also think its my best article ever so im hoping for an PB of 86+ :)

My ban is offical from now untill saturday apparently, not sure if thats next or this saturday so it mightn even be a week :)

Unfortuntely i can see the Match forum so when scores are up i wont be able to see it, so im gonna need someone to post it here as soon as ya's can..
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Still no scores... blast their oily hides!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

bastard, saw a post here and thought scores must of been up :lol:

**concurs with skeepe - blast their oily hides!**
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

anything doing here fellas?
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Not yet. :cry:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

good news boys, im back in :D
just a day or 2 holiday for me

and looks like results are up....

still loading...

EYAH!!
WE WON!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Mystique wrote:Raiders

Schifty - Making the Most of our Inactive Players.
Community service for suspended players, asking them to contribute to the community instead of waiting out their suspensions on the sidelines. Interesting concept and noble idea.
727 words
Score: 82

Raider 69 - State of Foreigners
Asks an interesting question and then answers it comprehensively. A very good subject for debate.
740 words
Score: 88

I bleed green - You Can't Coach Everything
Jason Stevens in a class of his own.
750 words
Score: 86

Raider Azz - Violence in Rugby League

739 words
Thought provoking opinion piece.
Score: 84

thickos - The Myth of the Supercoach
750 words
Great stuff, professionally written.
Score: 90

TOTAL: 430

Lions

Parra panther - CAN PENRITH MOVE MOUNTAINS THIS YEAR?
Excellent, thoughtful article, marred only by small errors (feint/faint, heal/heel).
744 words
Score: 85

Everlovin’ Antichrist – Jacko
750 words
Looking back at Peter Jackson; his character and his career. Using a personal recollection makes this more than just a dry retrospective.
Score: 87

Lisa13 - Tears of a larrikin clown prince
714 words
Shorter but heartfelt piece on Peter *'s career and the demons that plagued him. A difficult and upsetting subject, well handled.
Score: 84

Jed – The Long, Long Summer
750 words
Liked it. We’ve all been there, I think.
Score: 88

Gene Krupa - Good afternoon listeners................
705words
Interesting article and *'s good to read about some personal rugby league relatated experiences.
Score: 81

Score: 425

Raiders 430 def Lions 425

Poster of the match: thickos for the Raiders
Congrats Thickos on MOTM, another PB for me so im stoked!!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

My Assessment:

Firstly that was a great win, especially without of 2 of our big guns in K man and GE (now 3 including skeepe)

Thickos: Saved our bacon with a last minute play, was probably the difference between the two teams, MOTM and well deserved, looking forward to the next games effort... very keen on these lymricks :D

Schifty: I thought you were a little hard done by, but 82 is nothing to be frowned at, well done on a top effort :D

IBG: Another one i though would of score 1 or 2 points higher but again an 86 is a very handy mark, well played

Azz: Nice work, debut article, a well written peice, look forward to seeing more of it ;)

Raider_69: If you not the greatest man to ever live then im the pope :lol:
na seriously im very happy with the 88, another PB for me :D
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

good stuff guys ... march on to the next victory
paulquinn49
Brett Mullins

Post by paulquinn49 »

Ha take that Jed :lol:

2006: Celebrating 25 years since Bay56 jumped ship from South Sydney to Canberra Raiders

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well done everyone!!!!!!!!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Great stuff guys! A close match, one of those games where every point counts. I'll single out Raider_69 and thickos for my praise - thickos was tops as usual, i loved the article, and 69's was his best yet, as i think we all agreed before marking.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

paulquinn49 wrote:Ha take that Jed :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: where's your articles?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

jed wrote:
paulquinn49 wrote:Ha take that Jed :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: where's your articles?
dont answer that quinny, your above that ;) :lol:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

thickos's article is on the main page! http://www.leagueunlimited.com/ . Great work thickos! :clap
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

congrats stu
well done :D
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

proudest day ever :D