Jason Croker

GOD DAMNIT (VNRL news, and its bad)

Post by Raider Azz »

http://nrl.rleague.com/news/index.php?id=17815

Virtual NRL 2005 Cancelled
Tue Feb 22, 1:32pm (QLD)
Written by: Virtual Leagues
Source: Virtual NRL
We regret to announce that Virtual NRL will not be proceeding for the 2005 season.

Despite the wonderful generosity of dozens of VNRL enthusiasts volunteering their time and effort to help maintain and run the game, there was insufficient corporate backing to enable us to sustain the costs of statistics, hosting, software development and technical support.

We know how much this game means to league fans. It has become part of the rugby league landscape. The game's stalwart Chris Cox, who put so much of his time, blood, sweat and tears into it is particularly disappointed.

However take heart, with the appropriate sponsorship, it will be back.

We will be chasing corporate support, once secured we will come back bigger, better and ready to satisfy your desire for Virtual Rugby League supremacy!

To everyone who has supported our game - whether it be through financial backing, publicity, or, most importantly, participation - we can not thank you enough, and we thank you in advance for your understanding of this very tough decision.

To those who had amassed significant VNRL dollars last season and were looking forward to purchasing a full level account this season with them, good news. Whatever future game eventuates your VNRL dollars from 2004 will be redeemable.

Thank you all once again, and we hope season 2005 brings success to whatever team(s) you support.

--------------------

What are we gonna do now? It took me a whole 10 minutes to make this logo :cry:
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP VNRL
paulquinn49
Brett Mullins

Post by paulquinn49 »

This sucks

Alan Tongue will lose millions from this move. I suggest we flood Coxy with emails asking him to reconsider

2006: Celebrating 25 years since Bay56 jumped ship from South Sydney to Canberra Raiders

Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Gutted...

Maybe we could get something simular of our own going. Dunno how but im sure we could do it
paulquinn49
Brett Mullins

Post by paulquinn49 »

Well look like the tipping comp will be where we prove our knowledge now, ill win that instead of VNRL

We should post up our teams we were gonna have, realistic though. Shouldnt do it until the season kicks off just incase it comes back, which I doubt :(

2006: Celebrating 25 years since Bay56 jumped ship from South Sydney to Canberra Raiders

Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Some one has taken the liberty to making an online petition for this, while i dont think it will work, its worth a shot

http://www.petitiononline.com/vnrlpet/petition.html
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Argh.

ARGH.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!

That is all.
Greenblooded
John Ferguson

Post by Greenblooded »

Collecting stats and scores wouldn't be a problem, but how the hell would you organise squads prices and bidding?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Greenblooded wrote:Collecting stats and scores wouldn't be a problem, but how the hell would you organise squads prices and bidding?
hmm, once teams are sorted out and set in stone it wouldnt be hard to do but the teams is the issue
llab yob
Brett Mullins

Post by llab yob »

We could make a comp on that thing NRL runs?
Greenblooded
John Ferguson

Post by Greenblooded »

How does that one work?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

ballboy wrote:We could make a comp on that thing NRL runs?
yea how does that bad boy work?
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

It bases thigns on stats, metres gained, offloads, tries score etc. But there is no bidding for players, you choose your squad at the start of the season and keep it like that.

However I think the private league makes it so same teams can't have same players, can't remember exactly :?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

fantasy NRL, the "official" one on the NRL website, is totally crap. i played from the start of last season, and got so bored that in a few weeks i wasn't paying any attention to my "teams" at all (you don't even name a 1-17 squad, just 6 forward, 6 backs and a goalkicker, it's completely ****). VNRL was the opposite, where i started with one team, liked it so much that i added two more, and followed them right through to the end, with a heap of excitement along the way.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

btw, is that the real Brad Fittler who signed the petition?
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Doubt it Kris.
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Well, there's 2 options as far as I can see. edabomb's which seems like a pretty good idea if we're all willing to work at it, or the Dream Teams on www.sportal.com.au which allows you to have private leagues with 12 teams. The catch - the sportal one I don't think has a draft. Theoretically, 2 teams could end up with the same squad.

So in a nutshell:

Convenience - sportal
VNRL-like - edabomb
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

Sportal sounds good to me.

You'll Never Walk Alone!
RAIDERS MEMEBER #1919 - Bay 53 - Row S - Seat 18
Former Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder 2004 :)
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

The chances of having the exact squad is pretty low.

I think we can set our own rules and use Sportal. Like limit everyone to 2 or 3 Raiders players etc.

I'm sure everyone here is a fair player.

You'll Never Walk Alone!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Na im liking ed's idea
the draft will add tension and a bit of niggle in there, maybe work on a reverse system so it goes: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

that way no one gets a really decisive advantage
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

No.

Sportal Sportal Sportal Oi Oi Oi

You'll Never Walk Alone!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I couldn't care less, don't think I'll bother playing any comps now VNRL is down. VNRL was like the AD Skinner of the virtual footy contests, old looking, rough round the edges, but with content unmatched by its rivals. A little part of me died when I read this thread yesterday.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on February 23, 2005, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I like the Wally Widdle sponsored VNRL comp
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

apparently http://www.iirl.net is pretty good.