Round 9: Raiders V Parramatta (12th Aug - 22th Aug)

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Excellent work IBG.

I've got teaching commitments until 5pm, can someone pass their eye over 69's work so we can get ready for submission of the final articles.

BTW Parra have all five in
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Edit of R69's article by me... this version 741 words.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*'s Block

Well here we are, on the cusp of the business end of the season. And the rugby league world is certainly not short of any drama. Yet here I sit, trying in vain to come up with a topic I could bash out 750 words over, and gain a respectable mark in the Forum *'s competition.

Just these past few weeks we’ve had the Andrew Johns saga, Gordon *'s incident with bar staff, the much maligned Melbourne Storm claiming the minor premiership in fine fashion, Neville Costigan and Brett Seymour earning themselves the sack after unsavoury incidents, and as recently as last night when the Bulldogs went from Grand Final specials to hospital ward. Not to mention my own *'s news worthy headlines regarding refereeing controversies. Or even the Titans struggle to keep their contracted stars.

Yet here I am, with no topic tickling my fancy enough to squeeze 750 words from and make it entertaining to not only read but also write. How on earth could this be? How could this happen to me?

Allow me to explain. I have a strong belief that original and entertaining pieces are what score well in this competition, so naturally an article about *'s fortunes will not suffice. I suspect my team mates today will well and truly cover that issue three times over, not to mention the odd Tiger fan in other games who will no doubt give the topic a good nudge. That idea was dead before I even warmed up!

Then there is the Joey fiasco, and the ramifications of this petulant display. Tempting as it is to take this opportunity to tear some shreds from my most despised player, I just think that there won’t be a shortage of people covering the issue already.

In what was one of, if not the biggest judiciary trial in NRL history, I’d imagine there will be dozens of Joey related articles during this *'s round, particularly from CWB and his men. “Strike 1” I say to myself, racking my brain for a topic.

I don’t care enough about the Broncos and their tough stance on unacceptable behaviour (though it is an admirable stance) or the Bulldogs’ sudden injury toll that threatens to derail their premiership hopes, to delve into their issues. Continuing on with the baseball theme I guess we’d call that “Ball 1” and “Ball 2”.

Then I considered going along the lines of the woes of the newly formed Gold Coast Titans. The appeal of a pun as a clever headline is an attractive one (I was toying with: “Iceberg Ahead: A Titanic Story”) but in all honesty, with all this talk about verbal contracts and the like, I’m not nearly knowledgeable on the legalities of the system to take a firm stance on one side or the other. “Ball 3”. If I keep going like this I might be able to bludge a walk to first base. Ha!

Just when I thought I was toast, inspiration struck me. I could detail the life and times of a porirua local, known as Jeremy John Mohekey. A man who has had an undeniable influence over the Forum *'s competition, but sadly so long as the Pirates are in this competition, I suspect that topic will be well exhausted.

Thinking on the Pirates, I continued struggling for ideas. Maybe a Pirates “beyond the square” type of article could do the job admirably? A la “Half” I could probably get a scam a few hundred words on the hair styles that Canberra players are sporting these days. Kris *'s mullet and Todd *'s hot crossed bun looks would certainly be an out there topic of conversation. Probably a bit too out there and lets face it, the idea lacks originality.

The Pirates idea gives me “Strike 2” and full count with the *'s loaded. The entire Raiders’ *'s season could come down to the next pitch.

Then it hit me, it was in front of me all along. I hit the word count button on my Word application… “681”… Ha! Why bother writing an article on a topic I’d struggle to get 750 words on when I get easily get around 750 words on topics I don’t want to write about! Pure genius!

Is it a home run? That is for the referee to decide. But what ever the score, I can sleep soundly tonight knowing my *'s block is cured!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

69 your posted version has made a few punctuation mistakes... no full stop and inverted comma after ''ball 2" about halfway down.

Well done side, top effort this round. 100% article submission two years running. If we lose and miss the finals we have done our best.

Well played guys :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

R69.... your article as posted has an number of punctuation errors...

You might have missed that I did an edit above?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is a top effort from all... 5 V 5... If we don't win... what does that do to our finals chances?
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

greeneyed wrote:It is a top effort from all... 5 V 5... If we don't win... what does that do to our finals chances?
If we lose, we miss the finals.

The Rabbits are also on 10 points, but are behind us at the moment on number of posts, but they outnumbered the Warriors posts this week, so even without a result from the referee they've all but won.

So if we lose, we're out.

Considering we're facing the minor prems, we're up against it. All of their articles were sensational.

Either way, it's been a fun year.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Damn useless Warriors falling short in the post count!

I think we can win this, boy did i hate that 'FUBAR' article in the Parra side... I think our 5 articles are excellent. Can only hope anyway...

Seems like the Pirates are going to fold. They have barely got 2-3 posts in per week this season.
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

I must admit I haven't followed the F7's closely this year, but I'm glad that a referee has finally given them a score they deserve.

You should have seen the smile on my face when I saw the score of 0 for both half and Thierry Henry :lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

From cup to spoon in one year!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-1273 points differential!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

lol
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

they just dont get it ****! :lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

We lost 436-434... season over guys :(

Parramatta

eloquentEEL - FUBAR

An interesting piece. Seemed a bit like a Tony Robbins motivational special. Good work

Bubbles - Wake Me Up When September Ends

A moving piece about someone close. Quite moving, and well written.

1eyedeel - I Swear Its So

You certainly made clear your views in this one. It was stop start in places which affected the flow.

Bartman - As Good As It Gets

Good stuff. Well written, thought out piece about one of the greats.

MITS - What Rugby League Is All About

Good flowing piece about what rugby league means on a personal level.

Total = 436

Canberra

Raider69 - Writers Block

Extremely quirky and original piece. It worked on me. Good work

skeepe - The Eye Of The Beholder

A piece where greatness is defined by perception. Some grammatical and punctuation errors were detected but overall, a good effort.

I Bleed Green - Unfair

A moving piece about a friend who isn’t as fortunate as the rest of us. A bit disjointed in places but a good effort.

thickos - Slip The Tongue In

Catchy title which lead into a piece where the writer tells about a player who does all the grunt work.

greeneyed - The Elliott Years

Informative piece on the tenure of a coach who has had mixed results and reviews.

Total = 434

Parramatta defeat Canberra 436 – 434

POTM – Bubbles (Parramatta)

Top effort all round. Good work.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ah well, never mind...

All off season to get some new inspiration for new articles.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

pretty happy with that mark
are we offically toast?
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Yep. :(

Been a fun year lads, well done to all.

I know I'll definitely be back next year.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

the eels were imo the best team all year, its fitting they won