Round 7 - Raiders V Sharks

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Round 7 - Raiders V Sharks

Post by Nick »

Timbo is already put his hand up for this game, who else wants in?

if possible ill sit this one out, im going on holidays for 5 days between the 10th and 15th of july

team id like to play:

Thickos (c)
Greeneyed
IBG
Schifty
Timbo

Raider_69
Dubby
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OK, no worries.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Definitely in.

This sounds selfish but I have a swag of good ideas tucked away and I'm currently leading the player of the year comp... I'd like to play the remainder of the regular season skip :)

We're struggling for players too so I'm more than happy too anyway 8)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

you wernt getting a break even if you wanted it thickos :P :lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

:lol:

i hear ya :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Here's my first cut for comment.

Grumpy Old Man

“You should be on that television show, Grumpy Old Men” my PA at work tells me, as I grumble to her about some new silly thing one of my bosses has done. “You know they don’t call you ‘Grizzly’ just because you have ‘cuddly’ dimensions" she says jokingly as she walks out of my office. I laugh along, and can’t complain about the ‘cuddly dimensions’ jibe, but I tell myself “I’m not that grumpy.”

Thankfully, it was Friday afternoon and I had something more interesting to look forward to than the trials and tribulations of the office: my beloved Raiders were taking on the Parramatta Eels on Saturday night at Canberra Stadium.

I get to the ground early, as I always like to watch the lower grades. And as I settle down to watch the Jersey Flegg, a sense of dread envelopes me. A group of Parramatta fans walk up the steps. “Every bloody week” I mutter to myself. “Why do we always get a group of opposition supporters sitting right behind us?”

I sit in the main grandstand, for the most part in a huge block of Raiders season ticket holders, right on the half way line. But the row behind me is unsold. And for some reason, the ticket sellers sell these seats to opposition supporters every single week.

One guy is clutching a group of tickets in his hand and they are looking around, ‘lost’. My hopes lift. Maybe they aren’t going to come and sit in the traditional offending seats. But then I quickly realise. They sit in the middle of the front row, in seats I know are taken by season ticket holders. I groan to myself. As if the best seats in the stand are going to be available?

They ask someone nearby: “Is this row WWW?”

“No, this is row WW,” comes the reply. “Row WWW is right up there” they say, pointing in my direction.

Edward *'s “The Scream” flashes in front of my eyes.

As they climb towards me, they loudly comment: “Oh *'s very steep. We’re very high up.”

“Every single time”, I think to myself. “Every single time the opposition supporters say exactly the same thing. If they don’t like being high, why don’t they go and get seats in the bowl?”

They settle in the seats behind me. And then it starts. Phase one.

“Do we want to be this high?” says one.

“I think it is good to be able to see the patterns of play” says another. “And what if it rains?”

“Yes but we’d be closer to the players if we were sitting in the bowl” comes the reply.

This goes on for about five minutes until it sounds like chalk screeching on a black board in my mind.

They then start to focus on the game. This is phase two. “Get ‘em on side!” one yells. “They’ve been doing it all day! Come on ref! Get ‘em back!”

I seethe privately. They have been in their seats for a total of five minutes.

The Raiders feed a scrum. The Eels screw the scrum and the ball ricochets out in the Eels direction. The ref re-packs the scrum. “Aawwww, come on ref! Parramatta ball!”

Again I seethe. “How would you like a penalty instead for screwing the scrum?” I mutter to myself.

Phase three. One of the kids starts kicking the seat in front of him. The whole row of seats I’m sitting in shudders. It goes on for five minutes and I say nothing, until finally I reach breaking point. I turn around and politely say “Would you mind not kicking the seat?” They glare at me like I’m Brian Smith.

Their conversation goes back to phase one – whether they want to move to the bowl. I am being driven completely nuts.

“The problem is all the seats look like they are ticketed and reserved. There is no general admission” says one.

Finally I see my chance. I turn around and say: “Oh, you shouldn’t worry about that. Only about half of the seats in the bowl will be taken by season ticket holders. And the crowd will be low today. There will be plenty of good spare seats in the bowl.”

And with that they decide to pack up and move downstairs.

I settle back to watch the game in relative peace, pleased I have been so helpful to some opposition supporters.

Who says I’m a Grumpy Old Man?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

750 words
Last edited by greeneyed on July 5, 2006, 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

When is Full Time? I'm struggling a bit for ideas, but shoudl be right with time..
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

next wednesday schifty 8)
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Hahaha GE that article is gold. Love it.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

agreed
one of ya best GE!
halarious
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Agreed, great article GE.

My first draft is almost finished :D
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

For those who don't know, 69 is out of action with regards to his computer so I 'll be looking after the naming of the side if he's not around.

i've PM'ed timbo and he's good to go, how is everyone else going?
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

umm yeah, things ae going great :)

*runs away*
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Here's my draft... see what you think! It's exactly 750 words...

The Man Who Never Made It

Fans of the Canberra Raiders have been blessed with an array of superstars to marvel at over the years. True legends of the game such as Stuart, Daley, Clyde and Meninga have worn the lime green with distinction, culminating in three premierships for Canberra. Yet in the prolonged mediocrity the club has since endured, one player captured the imagination of his fans more than any of the superstars who had preceded him. Known universally to Raiders fans as ‘Marty’, this player was the unpredictable Mark McLinden.

‘Marty’ set the league world on fire in his debut year of 1998. A local junior, *'s speed, versatility and freakish ability to set up a try saw him awarded the NRL Rookie of the Year title. In a team that still contained Stuart, Daley, Clyde and Furner, McLinden almost instantly became the new fan favourite. Paired up alongside fellow headgeared half Andy McFadden, the ‘Mac Attack’ was born – and the crowd loved it.

‘Marty’ was young, talented and exciting, playing the game with a carefree attitude. In his debut year he chimed into the attack as he saw fit, giving the Raiders an unpredictable edge. His speed was explosive. But besides all of his on-field traits, he was a character in a world full of robots. A known practical joker, the Canberra media devoted a story to a street race he organised where he took on his grandmother in a handicapped sprint. He would write music on the team bus. Mark was a true original, making him a *'s dream. And, of course, the ladies loved him. It seemed a great future lay ahead of him.

The Raiders were so convinced that Mark would lead the Raiders out of the doldrums that he was signed up to a multi-year deal, while Ricky Stuart was released. Despite howls of protest, the message was clear; Mark McLinden was the future. This move put Mark directly into the limelight – no longer the exciting young utility, he was now the man burdened with being the chief playmaker of the side after Laurie *'s career came to a close.

This role didn’t suit *'s game, and as a result his form suffered. Unable to displace Daley from five-eighth, and not good enough to run a team like a classic halfback, Mark became the team nomad. He would play wing, fullback, and ultimately, the bench. Only occasionally did we witness a return to his incredible best where he would win a game single-handedly, a source of much frustration for fans. Canberra continued to flounder mid-table, Daley was gone and the man anointed as ‘the future of Canberra’ was not living up to expectations.

What happened to Mark McLinden in those years? Was it poor coaching, leaving him stranded out of position? Perhaps it was an unwillingness to knuckle down and do the work to become a consistent footballer, or a pre-occupation with larrikin pursuits outside of league, but ‘Marty’ never realised his potential in the NRL. The Raiders kept persevering with him, losing Brett Finch, McFadden and Michael Monaghan in the process, and his adoring fans still loved him, but time was running out. A return to solid form in 2003 behind an incredible forward pack could not save him, as he was released in late 2004 to the London Broncos.

For Mark himself, it was probably a relief – the burden of expectation of leading the Raiders to premiership success was gone. The lure of travel made Super League an enticing option, as did the faster style of play. Once again, he has been a hit with his home fans. Once again, he has played a number of different positions, unable to tie down a regular starting spot. And once again, his side is not a contender, success seemingly again out of grasp.

There are probably thousands of stories in the league community that follow similar lines – the talented youngster who had the world at his feet, but could not make a go of it. Mark McLinden is no different. He has had a long career, playing 165 games for his beloved Raiders before heading to England. For many this would be a great career, but considering his potential he could have been so much more. There could have been titles, representative jerseys and even more adoration from his fans. He was a joy to watch and a fan favourite, but in reality, Mark McLinden never really made it.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Schifty wrote:umm yeah, things ae going great :)

*runs away*
:lol:

Schifty considering all the sports and gym knowledge you have, what about Miller's comeback from injury? Maybe compare the hard men to those that us fans consider 'softies' (*looks at Frawley*)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Excellent as usual Thickos!
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Heres a 700 and somethinf word draft I knocked up while waiting for Cadel Evans, Robbie McEwan and Michal Rogers to take their Tour De France rides.. Ran out of energy, wil lfix it up tomorrow or Monday, the idea of the story has changed a few times already :lol: --

----------------------------------------------
*'s Form- What the?

What Canberra side will turn up today? Well when you have a side that isn’t taking the lithium to balance them out it is always *'s guess.

Canberra fans are always in the position of watching their side not knowing what to expect. While fans will see their side go through good and bad patches, Canberra fans are treated to the unique feature of seeing a side *'s form fluctuates more then petrol prices. Not only will the side fluctuate week to week, they can even do it during matches. Is there some weird formula which can predict out form? Well I will try answer the $64,000 by using *'s opening to the 2006 as the basis for my study..

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season was another perfect example of this squads unique talent. A round 1 victory over Manly away at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of that Early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past. So a return match at home against the Knights was on the cards. An early try to debutant William Zillman scored the opening try. Were we going to see a follow up performance from the side, well at half time and 34-8 it didn’t look like it.. But in True Raiders form they scored 2 quick tries and all of a sudden it was 34-20.. Sadly the manic phase of the Raiders wore thin as they went on to be hammered 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders season took us to Aussie stadium to phase the Roosters, a team which hadn’t beaten at that ground since… well… a very long time.. Coming off a flogging it was expected that the side would put up a strong effort, and maybe not win the match, but at least not cop another hammering. Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead one could be forgiven for thinking this would be a nice even match. So the teams came out for the second half and the Raiders Shocked everyone (including their own fans) by taking a 20-10 lead, would the Canberra “Current form means nothing” Raiders continue their habits and pull off a magical win? Or would they be just pipped at the line. Sadly it wasn’t any of the above options as the Raiders took random form to a new level by letting in 6 unanswered Converted Tries and finish at the wrong end of a 56-20 shalacking.

It was a match that even the best Hollywood writers couldn’t have written a script for. A side coming off a belting, travel away to a bogey side, lead at half time, gain the early second half momentum…. And cop another belting..

So the side would next play the (then ) top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night at Bruce. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, the Home side again took the early 4-0 lead, then went into half time with a 10-8 lead. True to their form the Raiders dug deep and played their hearts out, but when Preston Campbell lined up a penalty goal with his side leading 20-14 heading into the final 10 minutes it looked like we would chalk up another loss, but hey at least this time it would be a brave loss. Then all of a sudden Preston hit the posts, the side was incredibly still in with a chance, then in the final minute David Howell scores in the corner and our Captain lands a sideline conversion to send us into extra time… The side had again shocked all the fans, but we should have known we weren’t going to be let off that easy,,, We would sit through the Raiders running the ball on the final play of the first period of extra time, Gower missing a field goal from 10m out from almost in front until ‘The President’ brought the roof off the place by landing a 35m field goal.

So using that first 4 weeks as an example can we find some pattern to how this side plays, well the first 18 rounds read WLLW(GP)LWLBWLLW(GP)WWLWLL..[/b[

So by looking at that a few trends clearly emerge, the key one is in bold, if you arer to follow these trends..

The Raiders will win in Golden Point next week..

Will I be right.. I guess we shall wait and see
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is someone going to announce a team anytime soon? I'm ready to post I think.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Thickos wil name it tomorrow :)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Yep I'll throw it up there today, just waiting for clearance from the Sharks captain because I'm filling in for 69 8)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Team is posted, fire away guys. :)
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Have anot read of that team you posted thickos, might want to edit something 8)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

thanks mate :lol:
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

*'s Form- What the?

What Canberra side will turn up today? Well when you have a side that isn’t taking the lithium to balance them out it is always *'s guess.

Canberra fans are always in the position of watching their side not knowing what to expect. While fans will see their side go through good and bad patches, Canberra fans are treated to the unique feature of seeing a side *'s form fluctuates more then petrol prices. Not only will the side fluctuate week to week, they can even do it during matches. Is there some weird formula which can predict out form? Well I will try answer the $64,000 by using *'s opening to the 2006 as the basis for my study..

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season was another perfect example of this squads unique talent. A round 1 victory over Manly away at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of that Early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past. So a return match at home against the Knights was on the cards. An early try to debutant William Zillman scored the opening try. Were we going to see a follow up performance from the side, well at half time and 34-8 it didn’t look like it.. But in True Raiders form they scored two quick tries and all of a sudden it was 34-20.. Sadly the manic phase of the Raiders wore thin as they went on to be hammered 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders season took us to Aussie stadium to face the Roosters, a team which hadn’t beaten at that ground since… well… a very long time.. Coming off a flogging it was expected that the side would put up a strong effort, and maybe not win the match, but at least not cop another hammering.
Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead one could be forgiven for thinking this would be a nice even match. So the teams came out for the second half and the Raiders Shocked everyone (including their own fans) by taking a 20-10 lead, would the Canberra “Current form means nothing” Raiders continue their habits and pull off a magical win? Or would they be just pipped at the line. Sadly it wasn’t any of the above options as the Raiders took random form to a new level by letting in 6 unanswered Converted Tries and finish at the wrong end of a 56-20 shalacking.

It was a match that even the best Hollywood writers couldn’t have written a script for. A side coming off a belting, travel away to a bogey side, lead at half time, gain the early second half momentum…. And cop another belting..

So the side would next play the (then) top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night at Bruce. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, the Home side again took the early 4-0 lead, then went into half time with a 10-8 lead. True to their form the Raiders dug deep and played their hearts out, but when Preston Campbell lined up a penalty goal with his side leading 20-14 heading into the final 10 minutes it looked like we would chalk up another loss, but hey at least this time it would be a brave loss.
Then all of a sudden Preston hit the posts, the side was incredibly still in with a chance, then in the final minute David Howell scores in the corner and our Captain lands a sideline conversion to send us into extra time… The side had again shocked all the fans, but we should have known we weren’t going to be let off that easy,,,
We would sit through the Raiders running the ball on the final play of the first period of extra time, Gower missing a field goal from 10m out from almost in front until ‘The President’ brought the roof off the place by landing a 35m field goal.

So using that first 4 weeks as an example can we find some pattern to how this side plays, well the first 18 rounds read WLLW(GP)LWLBWLLW(GP)WWLWLL..

So by looking at that a few trends clearly emerge, the key one is in bold, if you arer to follow these trends..

The Raiders will win in Golden Point next week..

Will I be right.. I guess we shall wait and see
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Schifty mate it's a promising article, I'll get onto having a look at it and a quick edit tomorrow morning.

PM's have been sent to Timbo and IBG - this F7's captain business is tough stuff! :lol:
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

sh*t, this is a really bad week for me. I'll drum something up tomorrow.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just talking to Timbo... his article looks the goods and is ready to go and be posted.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Yep Timbo is submitting shortly, besides a few typos his article is top notch 8)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Aaaand I'm in.

Schifty I'm gonna begin editing your article shortly. Will post it up here within the hour hopefully 8)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Schifty, edited by Stu wrote:*'s Form - What The?

What Canberra Raiders side will turn up this weekend? The NRL's equivalent of a schizophrenic hasn't been taking their lithium to balance themselves out... so it really is always *'s guess.

Canberra fans are always in the position of watching their side not knowing what to expect. While most fans see their side go through good and bad patches that normally last for weeks or months, Canberra fans endure a side whose form fluctuates more than current petrol prices. Forget about fluctuating from week to week, the Raiders can even do it during matches!

Despite the chaos, is there some weird formula which can predict the Raiders form? It really is the $64,000 question, and let's use *'s form to open season 2006 as the basis for my study...

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season was aperfect example of this squad's unique talent. A round one victory over Manly at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of that early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past, and a home fixture against the Knights the following week left the fans confident. An early try to debutant William Zillman seemed to ensure that Newcastle would leave the nation's capital on the wrong side of the scoreboard, but the mercurial Andrew Johns ensured that at half-time it was 34-8 - to the visitors. In true Raiders form they scored two quick tries to get the crowd excited about a potential comeback... the meds must have worn off soon after however, the final score finishing at 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders season took the 'Green Machine' to Aussie Stadium to face the Roosters, a team that had not lost to Canberra at that ground since 1995. Considering the embarassment of a 70-point loss the week before, a strong effort was expected from the Raiders - the win not as important as getting their season back on track.

Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead into the sheds, one could be forgiven for thinking an even contest was on the cards. Canberra extended their lead early in the second half and a massive upset was truly on the cards, the Raiders seemingly about to prove that “Current form means nothing” in the NRL in 2006. To the dismay of Raiders fans however, the final 28 minutes saw 46 points scored - all by the Roosters. A match well within their grasp had disintegrated into another disgrace, losing 56-20.

After a week of hammerings in the media and the spotlight on departing coach Matt Elliott, the Raiders were desperate for a win. But could they tackle to save their lives?? Only three weeks into 2006, the season hinged on a home match against the (then) top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, but it was clear the Raiders had found the 'grit' in their game again. Leading 14-8 deep into the second half, the Raiders had at least remembered how to play again, but true to form two quick tries to the Panthers had Canberra hearts broken, the visitors seemingly destined for a solid victory. The phrase 'brave loss' was almost certainly going to be the headlines the next morning, until the Raiders summoned one last effort to score a try in the corner as the siren sounded.

It was pure Hollywood; the team written off by all the critics had fought back agains the table-topping Panthers, with only a sideline conversion standing between the Raiders and extra time. New captain Clinton Schifcofske had the kick lined up and... it was never in doubt. The drama was still unfolding however, as fans would sit through the Raiders running the ball on the final tackle rather than kicking during the first period of extra time, while Craig Gower missed a field goal from only ten metres out. It was not until 'President Clinton' sealed the game with a 35 metre field goal that fans could finally erupt, the joy and relief evident to all.

2006 has not been smooth sailing since that opening month by any means - most Raiders fans have a weaker heart and less hair. But a pattern is emerging - the form guide for the first eighteen rounds reads:

WLLW(GP)LWLBWLLW(GP)WWLWLL

That is, every time the Raiders drop two in a row, a golden point victory comes along to relieve the pressure and get Canberra back in the winners' circle. Having lost to the Eels and the Panthers in the past fortnight, you can guess what my tip for this week's Raiders-Tigers game is - and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens.
795 words... whoops...
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

Sweet Jesus I've got nothing.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

*'s Form - What The?

What Canberra Raiders side will turn up this weekend? The NRL's equivalent of a schizophrenic hasn't been taking their lithium to balance themselves out... so really, *'s anyones guess..

Canberra fans are always in the position of watching their side not knowing what to expect. While most fans see their side go through good and bad patches that normally last for weeks or months, Canberra fans endure a side whose form fluctuates more than current petrol prices. Forget about fluctuating from week to week, the Raiders can even do it during matches!

Despite the chaos, is there some weird formula which can predict the Raiders form? Well, I shall now use the 2006 form guide as the basis for my study.

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season was a perfect example of this squad's unique talent. A round one victory over Manly at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of the early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past, and a home fixture against the Knights the following week left the fans confident. An early try to debutant William Zillman seemed to ensure that Newcastle would leave the nation's capital on the wrong side of the scoreboard, but the mercurial Andrew Johns ensured that at half-time it was 34-8 - to the visitors. In true Raiders form they scored two quick tries to get the crowd excited about a potential comeback... the meds must have worn off soon after however, the final score finishing at 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders season took the 'Green Machine' to Aussie Stadium to face the Roosters, a team that had not lost to Canberra at that ground since 1995. Coming off a 70 point loss, a strong effort was expected from the Raiders - the win not as important as getting their season back on track.

Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead into the sheds, one could be forgiven for thinking an even contest was on the cards. Canberra extended their lead early in the second half and a massive upset was truly on the cards, the Raiders seemingly about to prove that “Current form means nothing” in this competition. However, to the dismay of Raiders fans the final 28 minutes saw their side concede 46 unanswered points scored. A match well within their grasp became another disgrace, losing 56-20.

After a week of hammerings in the media and the spotlight on departing coach Matt Elliott, the Raiders were desperate for a win. Only three weeks into 2006, the season hinged on a home match against the (then) top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, but it was clear the Raiders had found the 'grit' in their game again. Leading 14-8 deep into the second half, the Raiders had at least remembered how to play again, but true to form two quick tries to the Panthers had Canberra hearts broken, the visitors seemingly destined for a solid victory. It looked like another “brave loss” for the Raiders, until they desperately spread the ball out wide and scored in the corner with only seconds remaining.

It was pure Hollywood; the team written off by all the critics had fought back against the table-topping Panthers, with only a sideline conversion standing between the Raiders and extra time. New captain Clinton Schifcofske had the kick lined up and... it was never in doubt. The drama was still unfolding however, as fans would sit through the Raiders running the ball on the final tackle of the first period of extra time, while Craig Gower missed a field goal from only ten metres out. It was not until 'President Clinton' sealed the game with a 35 metre field goal that fans could finally celebrate.

2006 has not been smooth sailing since that opening month by any means - most Raiders fans have a weaker heart and less hair. But a pattern is emerging - the form guide for the first eighteen rounds reads:

That is, every time the Raiders drop two in a row, a golden point victory comes along to relieve the pressure and get Canberra back in the winners' circle. Coming off two losses in the past fortnight, you can guess what my tip for this week's Raiders-Tigers game is - and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens.

750 words
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Made one edit on your version Schifty. But my word count on your version is 751.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

This version is 749 words...

*'s Form - What The?

What Canberra Raiders side will turn up this weekend? The NRL's equivalent of a schizophrenic hasn't been taking their lithium to balance themselves out... so really, *'s anyones guess..

Despite the chaos, is there some weird formula which can predict the Raiders form? Well, I shall now use the 2006 form guide as the basis for my study.

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season was a perfect example of this squad's unique talent. A round one victory over Manly at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of that early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past, and a home fixture against the Knights the following week left the fans confident. An early try to debutant William Zillman seemed to ensure that Newcastle would leave the nation's capital on the wrong side of the scoreboard, but the mercurial Andrew Johns ensured that at half-time it was 34-8 - to the visitors. In true Raiders form they scored two quick tries to get the crowd excited about a potential comeback... the meds must have worn off soon after however, the final score finishing at 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders season took the 'Green Machine' to Aussie Stadium to face the Roosters, a team that had not lost to Canberra at that ground since 1995. Coming off a 70 point loss, a strong effort was expected from the Raiders - the win not as important as getting their season back on track.

Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead into the sheds, one could be forgiven for thinking an even contest was on the cards. Canberra extended their lead early in the second half and a massive upset was truly on the cards, the Raiders seemingly about to prove that “Current form means nothing” in this competition. However, to the dismay of Raiders fans the final 28 minutes saw their side concede 46 unanswered points . A match well within their grasp became another disgrace, losing 56-20.

After a week of hammerings in the media and the spotlight on departing coach Matt Elliott, the Raiders were desperate for a win. Only three weeks into 2006, the season hinged on a home match against the (then) top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, but it was clear the Raiders had found the 'grit' in their game again. Leading 14-8 deep into the second half, the Raiders had at least remembered how to play again, but true to form two quick tries to the Panthers had Canberra hearts broken, the visitors seemingly destined for a solid victory. It looked like another “brave loss” for the Raiders, until they desperately spread the ball out wide and scored in the corner with only seconds remaining.

It was pure Hollywood; the team written off by all the critics had fought back against the table-topping Panthers, with only a sideline conversion standing between the Raiders and extra time. New captain Clinton Schifcofske had the kick lined up and... it was never in doubt. The drama was still unfolding however, as fans would sit through the Raiders running the ball on the final tackle of the first period of extra time, while Craig Gower missed a field goal from only ten metres out. It was not until 'President Clinton' sealed the game with a 35 metre field goal that fans could finally celebrate.

That is, every time the Raiders drop two in a row, a golden point victory comes along to relieve the pressure and get Canberra back in the winners' circle. Coming off two losses in the past fortnight, you can guess what my tip for this week's Raiders-Tigers game is - and I won't be suprised if it happens.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This version fixes some typos and is 749 words.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*'s Form - What The?

What Canberra Raiders side will turn up this weekend? The NRL's equivalent of a schizophrenic hasn't been taking their lithium to balance themselves out... so really, *'s anyones' guess..

Despite the chaos, is there some weird formula which can predict the Raiders' form? Well, I shall now use the 2006 form guide as the basis for my study.

The opening four rounds of the 2006 season were a perfect example of this squad's unique talent. A round one victory over Manly at Brookvale gave fans the hope of seeing some of the early season blitzes the Raiders had dealt out in the past, and a home fixture against the Knights the following week left the fans confident. An early try to debutant William Zillman seemed to ensure that Newcastle would leave the nation's capital on the wrong side of the scoreboard, but the mercurial Andrew Johns ensured that at half-time it was 34-8 - to the visitors. In true Raiders' form they scored two quick tries to get the crowd excited about a potential comeback... the meds must have worn off soon after however, the final score finishing at 70-32.

The next chapter of the Raiders' season took the 'Green Machine' to Aussie Stadium to face the Roosters, a team that had not lost to Canberra at that ground since 1995. Coming off a 70 point loss, a strong effort was expected from the Raiders - the win not as important as getting their season back on track.

Judging by the first half effort where the Raiders took a shock 14-10 lead into the sheds, one could be forgiven for thinking an even contest was on the cards. Canberra extended their lead early in the second half and a massive upset was truly on the cards, the Raiders seemingly about to prove that “Current form means nothing” in this competition. However, to the dismay of Raiders fans the final 28 minutes saw their side concede 46 unanswered points. A match well within their grasp became another disgrace, losing 56-20.

After a week of hammerings in the media and the spotlight on departing coach Matt Elliott, the Raiders were desperate for a win. Only three weeks into 2006, the season hinged on a home match against then top of the table Panthers on a cold Saturday night. Again the fans would turn up not knowing what to expect, but it was clear the Raiders had found the 'grit' in their game again. Leading 14-8 deep into the second half, the Raiders had at least remembered how to play again, but true to form two quick tries to the Panthers had Canberra hearts broken, the visitors seemingly destined for a solid victory. It looked like another “brave loss” for the Raiders, until they desperately spread the ball out wide and scored in the corner with only seconds remaining.

That is, every time the Raiders drop two in a row, a golden point victory comes along to relieve the pressure and get Canberra back in the winners' circle. Coming off two losses in the past fortnight, you can guess what my tip for this week's Raiders-Tigers game is - and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens.