Round 7 - Raiders V Sharks

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

IBG wrote:Sweet Jesus I've got nothing.
The idea I gave Schifty earlier in this thread mate - league's 'hard men' like Josh Miller vs softies like Frawley? I mean I think they're all tough guys, but its funny how fans consider certain guys soft.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I don't want to do a Raiders related article.

Another one and I think the ref would kill himself. :P

I'll come up with something.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

My idea is not Raiders specific, just using that soft bastard Frawley as an example :lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

right well i'm heading home from work, best of luck IBG - I know we can count on you.

Might pop online before 9pm (not normally my go to come online at night) but I'm sure we'll be fine - i dunno how Nick does this captaincy thing, I'm buggered! :lol:

*pushes tab key*

night guys
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

If your still here IBG do an article about the power and under rated work of our friendly mascots.

Or you could do somethinhg about tapping into the possibility of holding 7's tournaments at ski resorts.

Ye[p I got nothing.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

Insert Sound Of Cash Register Here

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Tick... tock.

As the player manager watched the clock strike twelve, he smiled excitedly.

It was now the early morning of July 1st, and the first minute of the free agent period in the National Rugby League had just begun.

He picked up his phone and searched through the hundreds of contacts he had stored in his little black book.

His client, who shall remain anonymous just like the player manager himself, was undoubtedly going to be one of the hottest commodities on the open market. Many clubs had already contacted the agent to express their interest, which was legal under the anti-tampering rules as no active negotiations had taken place.

So he decided to take advantage of this situation, and he sprung his plan into action.

"Hey mate, how's it going?" he greeted, and it was obvious by his informal introduction that he knew the other person well. "Yeah, it's begun. So, are you ready to make an offer on him yet?" he queried, and again it was obvious by the fact he didn't even mention a name, that the club official knew all too well who he was referring to. "Six hundred over three years? That's it?" asked the manager, whose ire was obviously raised. "I understand you don't have much room left, but this kid is one in a million talent." he retorted, and secretly he knew he was overselling his value. "Alright, I'll let you know." he said, as he hung up the phone and rolled his eyes.

He quickly dialled another number. "Hey, it's me." he introduced once more. "Yeah, that's why I'm ringing. I've already got an offer on the table for him for two-twenty a year for four years." He was lying through his teeth, but it was all part of the plan to drive up his client's price. "Two fifty a year for three years? Not bad, I'll get back to you." he replied, before promptly hanging up the phone.

He knew that he was getting somewhere.

He thought he'd try his last option.

"Hah, yeah, you knew I'd call" he replied to the new person on the phone, who had obviously detected his number. "Two sixty for four years. He's pretty set on taking it up." he talked of his client, which again was another lie, as he hadn't even approached his player about the latest offers. "Two eighty five a year for four years? Is that your final offer?" he asked, and his reply was what he expected. "Okay, I'll get back to you" he said as he hung up the phone, grinning from ear to ear.

He didn't even bother ringing back the other interested parties, as he knew they couldn't match that last offer with a guaranteed fourth year, which even he didn't expect.

Instead he picked up his phone to let his client know the good news.

"Guess who!" he beamed. "Have I got some good news for you! Do you remember the club I mentioned to you a few days ago? They've made an offer. Two eighty five for four years! What do you think?!" he asked enthusiastically. "Er, no... no other clubs were interested..."

Again, he lied. Deep down, he was worried that his client would take a lower offer with one of the other clubs due to lifestyle, club structure, or any of the other factors that effect a player's decision.

"I think it's a great deal, this was beyond even our expectations. They may be a struggling club, but they're building to something special." Yeah, right. Deep down he knew the club was set for mediocrity for years to come. "What do you mean you'll think on it? There's nothing to think about!" he urged. "I'm just worried they'll withdraw the deal if they sign someone else!" he stated as he again distorted the truth. "You're sure?" he asked, with an optimistic smile. "Excellent. I'll organize the details and get back to you. Congrats mate, you've earned it."

He then hung up the phone.

"YES! I've earned it!" he yelled, as he pumped his fist in the air.

He knew that sometimes he had to put his morals to the side.

Don't think that he'll wrestle with his conscience, because he'll be able to sleep well tonight, knowing that tomorrow he'll be able to put the deposit down on a Mercedes C class vehicle.

Ah, it's a selfless job, being a player manager...
750 words incl. title.

Thoughts?

Not my best but it's slightly original.

GE if you could give that the once over and just let me know if I've missed any errors, I'm super tired right now, but will post it up before the deadline.

P.S - Sorry Stu for not getting in earlier and thus making you come online at night.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks great to me IBG. Well done mate.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

Cheers GE, will post it now then. Well done fellas, good articles all round.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

woot :)

We need this win to stay on track for the finals, hopefully next round we will have a rookie or 2. :)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't expect any rookies to come into the team from here on, tho Timbo has done a great job this week. It would be good if Woodgers could come on board as well from here for the finals charge.... but it might be it is the old stagers that have to stick together and make the run to the Premiership from here! I think we can do it!
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

5v5 for the game... and without wanting to sound egotistical, I think we have it in the bag after reading a few of their articles. 8)
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

I'm not very confident with my article, was a bit rushed and kind of strays a bit :doubt:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Sorry I didn't come online last night.... PS2 was calling :lol:

Yeah some of their articles I'm thinking won't score too well, seems like the late sub was a pretty rushed effort.

Great article IBG, you always come through with the original stuff :D

I honestly think we can get an article out of Woodgers in the final two rounds, he's the only one left who seems keen to give it a crack - Timbo is on holidays currently so that's why he had the time this round.

I think we have a break now due to the f7's test match so everyone gets a fortnight off - woot 8)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

WOOT we won :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Results are in:

Raiders

greeneyed
Grumpy Old Man
750 Words
Good Read. I’m a grumpy old man as well.
Score 86

I Bleed Green
Insert Sound Of Cash Register Here
750 Words
This piece is probably not far off the truth. An article on the possible goings on immediately after the deadline. Good Reading.
Score 86

Stelios Giannakopolous
*'s Form-What The?
749 Words
Trying to anylise *'s going on with your team can be very frustrating. (I know being a Knights supporter) Kept me interested.
Score85

Timbo
All I Wanted Was A Day On The Hill…
750 Words
An article on the way a day at a game is changing. Have to agree on a lot of the points made in this. Well written.
Score 86

Thickos
The Man Who Never Made It
750 Words
Enjoyable read on a player I liked watching, even though I’m not a follower of the Raiders. Brought back some good memories of the “Mac attack”
Score 87

Raiders Total 430

Sharks

Go The Bears
A Rant
749 Words.
A piece on some flaws in the game, as perceived by the writer. I found this a little disjointed. The writer starts by comparing the athletic attributes of modern day players, and goes on to discuss the salary cap. There really wasn’t a line between the two in the writing; it was split by a few examples of why the writer has lost interest in the game. The reading wasn’t helped by some poor grammar.
Score75

Marc Herbert [CNTDN]
Saturday, the eighth of July
750 Words
A well-written article, comparing the differences between two football codes. The writer has put forward some well thought out suggestions that in his opinion could benefit our game. Good reading
Score 89

griffette346
MY FIRST RUGBY LEAGUE MATCH
749 Words
Basic game report. A lot of spelling and grammatical errors made it difficult to read. If you are going to write a match report you need to bring the game atmosphere, or something unusual to the reader to liven it up.
Score 71

griffo346
Cheerleaders
627 Words
Good subject, better use of the word count could have expanded the piece more. The article is spoilt by poor grammar. The “female perspective” was particularly difficult reading because of this.
[Score 75[/b]

Waken
Why Rugby League Is Better Than Real Life.
601 Words
I’m sure the writer could have used the word count to add a few more comparisons. A well thought out piece, let down a bit by some grammatical errors.
Score 84

Sharks Total 394

Raiders 430 defeated Sharks 394

MOTM Marc Herbert [CNTDN]

Very consistent effort from the Raiders saw them get home with a convincing win. The Sharks were let down somewhat across the board with some poor spelling and grammar in their pieces.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

wootwootwoot.

In other news we'll never hear the end of this from Ed. :lol: 'Twas a good article though.

Happy all 'round. :)
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

good win lads!!!
may have to do it without me again this week, as im still down one PC :cry:
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

For those who havn't, read the last bit of my article, I'm starting to scare myself :shock: :lol:
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

HOLY ****!

I totally forgot about that. That's unbelievable dude. :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote:For those who havn't, read the last bit of my article, I'm starting to scare myself :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

That was some freaky **** Schifty :lol: