Round 5 - Raiders V Rabbitohs

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Round 5 - Raiders V Rabbitohs

Post by Nick »

Ive got an idea for a piece about the importance of the gun front rower in todays premiers, with a main focal point being how Mick Weyman can turn canberra into another team

im labelling it "No wey-man!"

who else is in?

Current team:

Raider_69
Thickos
Greeneyed
IBG
Timbo i hope :lol:

Schifty...
dubby
errrr....
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I'll be playing, no doubt.

Timbo is a possible, Nick do you speak to him on MSN much? If I see him I'll see when he is free (he has exams and ****)... he wants to play but it may be round 6.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

round 5 or 6 would be nice
either way, a chance to give schifty a break
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

OK team I've announced the match over in the thread at LU.

I'm doing an article called 'The Poisoned Chalice' - Canberra's search for a half since Lozza and Stuart retired.

69 how's the team looking ?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

thickos, you wanna see about getting onto timbo about a game?

the team thus far:

Raider_69
Thickos
Greeneyed
IBG

Schifty
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

The bastard logged off MSN before I could speak to him today... if anyone sees Timbo tonight, please ask him for me 8)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

no worries mate
ive got 3 ideas for articles so im good for a while 8)
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

I best put something together from a back up, don't want tosee a repeat of last week when I started on Tues Night :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

so far:
will probably finish it thursday night 8)

Canberra Toast – No Wey Man!

It was a crisp Sunday morn, the night following the Raiders suffered yet another loss and I was sound asleep dreaming of the glory days, when suddenly I was awoken to the ringing of my mobile phone beside me. I didn’t think anything could top the annoyance of being so abruptly woken; however upon answering the phone I knew this was going to be no ordinary phone call. No, this one would be far more aggravating!

”Ha ha ha, Canberra are rubbish, go Melbourne” – exclaimed my storm mad Cousin. “Yea what ever, piss off and leave me be”, I replied in the most annoyed voice I could muster, sadly it didn’t deter the onslaught – “Admit it, you blokes are toast this season, give me one reason why the raiders can turn it around”, quickly and aggressively I snapped back “Toast, no way man!” and hung up.

As I tried to drift back to sleep I wondered to myself, what did make me think the hapless Raiders could turn things around in season 2006 and make something from it, what was it that we were missing? When, just then, all of a sudden it hit me. Without even meaning to, I had already answered the question – “No way man”… in other words, no Michael Weyman.
i plan to go into how pivitol a top class front rower is to the chances of their respective teams premiership hopes, and also breifly into what makes Weyman such a promising talent... if anyone has our win/loss ratio with weyman it would be helpful
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I'm gonna PM lotm and Tokyo Raider today, see if they want in.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

good move thickos 8)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

When is the deadline for this match?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

thias coming wedsnesday
will finalasie the teram tomz/today 8)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I guess I better write something today then. Don't know what about...
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

the team named:

Raider_69
Thickos
Greeneyed
IBG
Stelious Grap...

Dubby
Timbo
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Guess I best start typing something up tonight
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I am really struggling for an idea.... I think I have writer's block.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Canberra Toast – No Wey Man!

It was a crisp Sunday morn, the night following the Raiders suffered yet another loss and I was sound asleep dreaming of the glory days, when suddenly I was awoken to the ringing of my mobile phone beside me. I didn’t think anything could top the annoyance of being so abruptly woken; however upon answering the phone I knew this was going to be no ordinary phone call. No, this one would be far more aggravating!

”Ha ha ha, Canberra are rubbish, go Melbourne” – exclaimed my storm mad Cousin. “Yea what ever, piss off and leave me be”, I replied in the most annoyed voice I could muster, sadly it didn’t deter the onslaught – “Admit it, you blokes are toast this season, give me one reason why the raiders can turn it around”, quickly and aggressively I snapped back “Toast, no way man!” and hung up.

As I tried to drift back to sleep I wondered to myself, what did make me think the hapless Raiders could turn things around in season 2006 and make something from it, what was it that we were missing? When, just then, all of a sudden it hit me. Without even meaning to, I had already answered the question – “No way man”… in other words, no Michael Weyman.

In recent history all the premiers have had one thing in common, its not a top class half back nor even super coach in charge of tactics, but rather an inform and rep quality front rower. Don’t believe me? *'s examine the facts. In 2005, John Skandalis was arguable the form front rower in the competition and was unlucky not to get a seat for the Kangaroo tour. In 2004, the Bulldogs had the ‘Ogre’ Mark O’Meley terrorising defensive lines all season, as with the Panthers Joel Clinton in 2003, whilst in 2002 and 2001, Adrian Morley and Matt *'s lead their respective teams from the front.

Even if we go back to the mid to late *'s, we saw the Canterbury Bulldogs take the crown in 1995 with Darren Britt leading the way, Mark Carroll for Manly in 1996, Paul Harrigan for the Knights in ARL 1997 and of course Shane Webcke feature predominately in the successful Broncos side of 1997-2000.

Now these are some great names, and some of the readers might be asking, â€*'s this bloke on? Surely he can’t be comparing a bloke like Mick Weyman to those guys”, and perhaps I’m biased, but clearly those asking this question have not seen young Mick in action. (Although they could hardly be blamed for that given the *'s dreadful luck with injuries over the past few seasons)

However in his limited time on the park he has proved to be more then a handful for the opposition, using his wide tree truck frame he consistently promotes second phase play for the nippy Raiders halves around the ruck such as Lincoln Withers and Simon Woolford.

Very rarely in his time on the field has the defence been able to perform a dominate tackle on the big burley man known as ‘Horse’, in fact more times then not he is the most dominate forward on the park, even in games where the team around him is performing poorly, several games come to mind with regards to this, but in particular a game in 2004 where he single handily took on and comprehensively accounted for the massive Warriors forward pack, which enable the Raiders to jag a vital win

He has all makings and potential to become one of the best front rowers the game has seen, he is strong up top which allows him to get a good clean offload, is deceptively quick (for a front rower!), has a stocky frame that ensures he attracts 3-4 defenders every run, he has unbelievable leg drive, often pushing 3 defenders back a few metres to bend the defensive back a few more metres.

And with that potential and those skills comes the ability for Mick Weyman to carry his beloved Raiders from cellar dwellers to a fair dinkum contender on his big broad shoulders.

All the pundits had Canberra pencilled in for the wooden spoon, but after 12 rounds they have an average record of 5 wins and 6 loses, but the man they call ‘Horse’ is ready to make his mark and if he does, rest assured he will take the Raiders with him every step of the way!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I will begin working on mine today.

GE, how about an article on 'bad sports' ? I don't agree on your views re: Johns but it may be a topic in itself - plus Finchy generally being a bad sport but talking himself up since SOO I.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Thickos, give me some inspiration for an article :?

I am really struggling... maybe something about Songs for players :? :? or a psitive piece on how Golden point has changed our game?
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Some ideas

* Rise of the bandwagon fan (new Tigers fans since premiership success, jump in crowds)

* Todd Carney - coming of age?

* I like your idea about Golden point, maybe an article on rule changes??? Discuss Warren Ryan's idea?

* Souths - should they have been re-admitted?
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

I'm a dumbass who posted this in the wrong thread wrote:Might be a bit busy over the next few days, so I have taken the chance now to knock something up and work on fixing it up during the warm Canberra nights :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*'s Golden Idea

When the golden point was first introduced in season 2004 it was met with some opposition, some people claimed that it would a draw should be a draw, and that if teams slugged it out for 80 minutes and couldn’t be split, they should get some reward.
Some people claimed it should mean golden try, but the thought of teams having to score a try would take the skill levels out of kicking field goals. After all why it may look ‘easy’ we have seen many players fail to slot one in from 10 out directly in front. The fact is Golden point has been a great initiative, it has added so much more excitement, and as a Raiders fan I have been fortunate enough for my side to not only be involved in 3 Golden point matches, but involved in 3 Golden point wins.

First one occurred in 20i04 on an overcast afternoon against the Warriors, at 29-28 down Clinton Schifcofske calmly slotted a field goal to level the scores, then in the first period of extra time slotted another field goal which raised the roof off the stadium.
While leaving the stadium with a 29-29 draw wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, you couldn’t help but think that the feeling would be somewhat empty.

The second match involving a Raiders triumph in Golden Point Extra time came will be remembered by Raiders fans forever, coming off 2 drubbings in a row, the Raiders came up against a Panthers side which had been in good form, heading into the last minute the side was down 20-14, David Howell crossed in the corner and Schifcofske nailed a kick from the sideline after fulltime to level the scores, but as if the sheer emotion of our Captain landing that wasn’t enough, the fans had to know endure an extra time period. The first half passed and no points scored, tension built, finally we worked in range and the ball was thrown to our captain, who took his shot, which was followed by silence in the stadium as everyone waited to see where the ball was headed, once Gavin Badger raised the arm, the stadium went wild, the crowd of 9400 sounded like there was 19,4000 there to have your captain slot home not only a sideline conversion to tie the match, but to then win it for us with a field goal is almost like a dream result, the post match celebrations by the players also showed how much it meant to them, really gave everyone a lift. Again the Golden point was responsible for that great night at the stadium. Had it not been we would have again left with a somewhat empty feeling.

The last Golden Point Victory the Raiders wee involved in occurred just last weekend, it was a match that everyone except Raiders fans gave us no hope of winning, what the Raiders produced will go down as one of the most gutsiest efforts by the side in years.
The side was constantly on the back foot, absorbing wave after wave of constant Cowboys attacking raids, had the match finished in a draw it would have been a good gutsy result. But thanks to golden point the boys had a chance to turn 80 minutes of inspirational defence into one of the most unlikely wins. 1st half of Golden point extra time and still no result, 2 minutes into the 2nd period and the Raiders worked their way to within 40 metres of the posts, this could well be the last chance of snatching the win.
The ball was thrown to young 19 year old half Todd Carney, it was his chance to become a Golden Point Hero, young Todd Ran up and struck it, the ball ended up well over the dead ball line and into the 3rd row of the crowd, the ref went upstairs to check the kick, not even young Todd himself wasn’t even sure it went over. Bitt eventually the ref raised his hand and singled a point Again Canberra fans had been blessed with another moment that would forever be entrenched in our minds.

But it had no been for the NRL to make this bold move away from tradition, we would have never experienced the joy, either would have other fans fortunate enough to experience the excitement.
Golden Point- gets the Golden seal of approval from me and most likely every other Raiders Fan.
-----------------------------
749 words.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

This is about 30 words over currently... will crop tomorrow. Schiffa I'll do an edit on yours tomorrow too, nice idea though, should do well.

+++++

Poisoned Chalice

Remember Terry Campese?

League fans that don’t follow the fortunes of the Canberra Raiders lower grades all that closely probably only recognise the surname. His uncle was a pretty handy footballer in his day, albeit in a different code. A Queanbeyan local, this monster of a kid made every Raiders fan sit up and take notice with a stellar effort in the 2003 Premier League Grand Final. Despite the lower level of competition, he was big, fast, could pass and had a massive boot on him – and above all, he wore the number six on his back. It seemed as if the collective prayers of the capital had been answered; we seemingly had another great half in our midst.

2003 was a wonderful season for long-suffering Canberra fans, as it gave them hope and respite from a dreary and unfulfilling recent past. Losses had been frequent, the playing roster weakened since the coming (and going) of Super League, and most of all, there was no dominant playmaker emerging to lead the club to salvation. Gone were the days of Ricky Stuart and Laurie Daley – two of the greatest halves in history in their own right, let alone in the same club side. Nothing would ever be able to compare to those two in full flight, winning countless games for the Raiders off their own back.

Since the retirement of Daley and movement of Stuart to Canterbury, many a name had tried hard to make a Raiders halves position their own; McFadden, McLinden, Finch and Monaghan to name but a few. None were ultimately successful – all were compared to the great players of the past, and all eventually moved on. Not until the makeshift halves of Jason Croker (a lock) and Brad Drew (a hooker), coupled with a dominant forward pack, did the Raiders find a winning formula. Yet a star half was still missing.

In his 2004 debut ‘Campo’ showed the world that he certainly had an impressive boot on him; sadly, however, that was about it. Nerves on debut obviously played a part, but the crowd that night (of which I was one) definitely felt that the ‘saviour,' talked up so heavily in the off-season, was not going to be the player he was made out to be. Twelve months later and besides his kicking prowess, *'s game was not making an impact in first grade. He hasn’t been sighted since.

If 2004 was spent hyping Terry *'s talents, then the 2005 off-season was ‘The summer of Carney.' Another local junior, Todd Carney debuted midway through the previous season – a rapid rise from the SG Ball ranks 12 months previously. It was evident after only a handful of Premier League games that the ingredients were there; his passing, kicking and running games were sublime. Many a directionless display in first grade had been preceded by a Carney-led demolition in the lower grade. It seemed like the long wait for a great half was over.

Unlike teen sensations such as Benji and Sonny-Bill – who are already household names – *'s first-grade efforts could be at best described as ‘solid.' Thrust into an injury-riddled side as halfback in the latter stages of 2005, the Raiders slumped to a seven-match losing streak, all of which with Todd calling the shots. It is unfair to lay the blame solely at his feet, but surely ‘the next Messiah’ could jag one win from seven matches for his side?

Be it a lack of confidence, preparation or unable to play their natural game, both Campese and Carney – once labelled the future of the Raiders – have looked all at sea at NRL level. There are the believers, those who claim they deserve an extended run to show their wares – but there is already a growing chorus who think both of them are not good enough. Searching for the ‘next big thing’ to lead the Raiders back to the top of the table, many have called for Carney to already make way for talented utility William Zillman – despite being separated in age by less than two months. Clearly it is a cut-throat world being a young half in the eyes of the average Raiders fan.

Many a player have tried – and failed – to adequately replace Daley and Stuart in the halves for the Canberra Raiders. But it has to be appreciated that none of the young players at the club will be like the legends gone before them. But to crucify them in the early stages of their careers, demanding they instantly be the next dominant half of their generation, will only mean that the search for the next great playmaker takes even longer.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Meh after reading my article, I'm not happy with it - it needs an ending, I'm gonna refer to Carney's golden point effort as a possible turning point in his career.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

25 years of blood, sweat and tears

I had just moved to Canberra prior to the kick-off of the 1982 season, the first season of the Canberra Raiders in what was then known as “the Sydney competition”.

The Raiders were admitted to the competition alongside Illawarra. While Newcastle had been favourites for admission, the Canberrans offered a trump card: to pay for the bus trips of Sydney clubs to visit Seiffert Oval each and every week in the initial seasons.

The name of the team – the Raiders – was settled after much debate and many discarded ideas, such as “the Senators” and “the Fat Cats”. And the colour of the jersey was copied from a lime green vinyl chair, after *'s traditional colours of blue and gold were ruled out, as they clashed with the colours of the Parramatta Eels.

The Raiders were subjected to a “13 import” rule, so they Sydney clubs would not lose too many players – and *'s initial squad was mostly made up of players from the local competition.

And so it was that the Raiders took to the field for the first time at Redfern Oval against South Sydney in late February 1982. No home game at Seiffert Oval first up – no favours at all were accorded the new club by the Sydney teams. They went down by a big margin. The next week, I was there as the Raiders lined up against Wests, in front of a crowd of less than 7,000. Again, they went down by a big margin.

The Sydney media was derisory. They hated the idea of a team outside Sydney. They waited for the team to fold.

But they have now been waiting for a very long time.

Almost 25 years later, the idea of expansion into new areas is still treated suspiciously by the Sydney media and clubs. But the Raiders’ admission was the start of an expansion of rugby league nationally, a process still to be completed, but well underway. The Raiders have made a huge impact on rugby league. Canberra was converted from an agnostic to a rugby league stronghold.

As a Raiders fan I have a multitude of memories, some amongst my most cherished.

The first win: It was against Newtown at Seiffert Oval in 1982. I remember the full time hooter and the reaction of the crowd clearly. It was a one point win against the Grand Finalists of the previous season. It was like the Raiders had won the Grand Final, after a string of big losses, the crowd standing as one and cheering long and hard. We now had a true local team.

The first Grand Final: *'s first coach, Don Furner often spoke about his “five year” plan to make the Raiders a competitive football team. He was not far wrong with his estimate of making the Raiders a threat. He brought in players such as Mal Meninga and then brought in Wayne Bennett as a co-coach in 1987. That year the team blazed through the semi-finals to make the Grand Final for the first time, against Manly. It was heady stuff for fans used to big losses. There were parades and huge celebrations for just making “the big one”. But the celebrations were premature.

The first Premiership: 1989 is now a part of rugby league folk lore. The Raiders finished in equal fifth, but fourth on percentages. Their attacking play blitzed Cronulla, Penrith and Souths in the finals, and overcame favourites, Balmain, in extra time in the greatest decider of all time, with a try to Steve Jackson.

The greatest Premiership: 1994 and Paul Osbourne blows the Bulldogs off the park. Mal Meninga finishes his career in Australia with his fifth Grand Final appearance and third Premiership for the Raiders, with a barnstorming try.

But it has not been just the big wins and the great players, like Daley, Walters, Clyde, Belcher and Furner. It has been the smaller moments as well, the tragedies, and players confronting adversity. Mal Meninga breaking his arm over and over after smashing it for the first time against the goal post in the wet at Seiffert Oval. A red hot Raiders team falling apart in the 1993 finals after Ricky Stuart is injured in the final game of the regular competition. Jason Croker playing on with a shattered knee and delivering a victory against the Roosters at Canberra Stadium. A brave one point loss to the Warriors in the finals in 2003, with a team widely tipped for the spoon.

It has been 25 years of blood, sweat and tears. Tears of pain and joy. In round 13 of season 2006, the Raiders again face South Sydney, a celebration match in *'s 25th season. Raiders’ fans are hoping for a different result than that very first match back in February 1982.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Great article GE.

I've got nothing. But I won't let the team down again, I'll work on something I guess, won't be done till Wednesday though.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

no worries IBG
your a gun, some inspiration will strike no doubt :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

25 years of blood, sweat and tears

I had just moved to Canberra prior to the kick-off of the 1982 season, the first season of the Canberra Raiders in what was then known as “the Sydney competition”.

The Raiders were admitted alongside Illawarra. While Newcastle had been favourites for admission, the Canberrans offered a trump card: to pay for the bus trips of Sydney clubs to visit Seiffert Oval each week in the initial seasons.

The name of the team – the Raiders – was settled after much debate and many discarded ideas, such as “the Senators” and “the Fat Cats”. And the colour of the jersey was copied from a lime green vinyl chair, after *'s traditional colours of blue and gold were ruled out, as they clashed with the colours of the Eels.

The Raiders were subjected to a “13 import” rule, so the Sydney clubs would not lose too many players – and *'s initial squad was mostly made up of players from the local competition.

And so it was that the Raiders took to the field for the first time at Redfern Oval against South Sydney in late February 1982. No home game at Seiffert Oval first up. No favours at all were accorded the new club by the Sydney teams. They went down by a big margin. The next week, I was there as the Raiders lined up against Wests, in front of a crowd of less than 7,000. Again, they went down by a big margin.

The Sydney media was derisory. They hated the idea of a team outside Sydney. They waited for the team to fold.

But they have now been waiting for a very long time.

Almost 25 years later, the idea of expansion into new areas is still treated suspiciously by the Sydney media and clubs. But many other things have changed. And as a Raiders fan I have a multitude of memories.

The first win: It was against Newtown at Seiffert Oval in 1982. I remember the full time hooter and the reaction of the crowd clearly. It was a one point win against the Grand Finalists of the previous season. It was like the Raiders had won the Grand Final, after a string of big losses, the crowd standing as one and cheering long and hard. We now had a true local team.

The first Grand Final: *'s first coach, Don Furner often spoke about his “five year plan" to make the Raiders a competitive football team. He was not far wrong with his estimate. He brought in players such as Mal Meninga and then brought in Wayne Bennett as a co-coach in 1987. That year the team blazed through the semi-finals to make the Grand Final for the first time, against Manly. It was heady stuff for fans used to big losses. There were parades and huge celebrations for just making “the big one”. But the celebrations were premature.

The first Premiership: 1989 is now a part of rugby league folk lore. The Raiders finished in equal fifth, fourth on percentages. Their attacking play blitzed Cronulla, Penrith and Souths in the finals, and overcame favourites, Balmain, in extra time in the greatest decider of all time, with a try to Steve Jackson.

The greatest Premiership: 1994 and Paul Osborne blew the Bulldogs off the park. Mal Meninga finished his career in Australia with his fifth Grand Final appearance and third Premiership for the Raiders, with a barnstorming try.

But it has not been just the big wins or the great players, like Daley, Stuart and Clyde. It has been the disappointments, the tragedies, the club men and players confronting adversity. The Chris O'Sullivans. Mal Meninga breaking his arm over and over after smashing it against the goal post in the wet at Seiffert Oval. A red hot Raiders team falling apart in the 1993 finals after Stuart is injured in the final game of the regular competition. Jason Croker playing on with a shattered knee and delivering a victory against the Roosters. A brave one point loss to the Warriors in the finals in 2003, with a team widely tipped for the spoon.

It has been 25 years of blood, sweat and tears. Tears of pain and joy. In round 13 of season 2006, the Raiders again face South Sydney, a celebration match in *'s 25th season. And this time, I go to Canberra Stadium hoping for a different result than that very first match back in 1982.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

750 word version. I'll post now as I won't be here from Wednesday morning.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

GE it's simply a tremendous article mate, love it.

Can you post it in the main section so people can appreciate it?

(Might even attract some new recruits ;) )
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Hurrah this is 750 words on the dot... will post it up tomorrow. Let me know what you think guys.... 69 and Schifty, I'll get working on the edit/check of yours tomorrow or this arvo if i have time.

Poisoned Chalice

Remember Terry Campese?

He certainly has a famous surname. A Queanbeyan local, this kid made every Raiders fan sit up and take notice with a stellar effort in the 2003 Premier League decider. He was big, could pass and had a massive kick ? and he wore the number six on his back. It seemed as if the collective prayers of the capital had been answered; we seemingly had another great half in our midst.

2003 gave long-suffering Canberra fans respite after an unsatisfying era. Losses were frequent; the playing roster weakened since Super League, and most of all, there was no dominant playmaker emerging to lead the club to salvation. Gone were the days of Ricky Stuart and Laurie Daley ? two of the greatest halves in history in their own right, let alone in the same club side. Nothing would ever be able to compare to those two in full flight, winning countless games for the Raiders off their own back.

Since the retirement of Daley and departure of Stuart, many have tried to make a Raiders halves position their own; McFadden, McLinden, Finch and Monaghan to name but a few. None were ultimately successful ? all were compared to the great players of the past, and all eventually moved on. Not until the makeshift pairing of Jason Croker and Brad Drew, coupled with a dominant forward pack, did the Raiders find a winning formula. Yet a star half was still missing.

In his 2004 debut ?Campo? showed the world that he had an impressive kicking game; sadly that was about it. Nerves obviously played a part, but it felt that the ?saviour,? talked up so heavily in the off-season, was not going to be the player he was made out to be. Twelve months later and besides his kicking prowess, Terry?s game was not making an impact in first grade. He hasn?t been sighted since.

If 2004 was spent singing Campese?s praises, then the 2005 off-season was ?The summer of Carney.? Another local junior, Todd Carney debuted midway through the previous season ? a rapid rise from the SG Ball ranks 12 months previously. It was evident after only a handful of Premier League games that the ingredients were there; his passing, kicking and running games were sublime. Many a directionless display in firsts had been preceded by a Carney-led demolition in the lower grade. It seemed, again, that the long wait for a great half was over.

Unlike teen sensations such as Benji and Sonny-Bill ? already household names ? Todd?s first-grade efforts could be at best described as ?solid.? Thrust into an injury-riddled side as halfback in the latter stages of 2005, the Raiders slumped to a seven-match losing streak, all of which with Todd calling the shots. It is unfair to lay the blame solely at his feet, but surely ?the next Messiah? could jag one win from seven matches for his side?

Be it a lack of confidence, preparation or unable to play their natural game, both Campese and Carney ? considered the future of the Raiders ? have looked all at sea at NRL level. There are the believers who claim they deserve an extended run to show their wares, but there is already a growing chorus who think both of them are not good enough. Searching for the ?next big thing? to lead the Raiders back to the top of the table, many have called for Carney to already make way for talented utility William Zillman ? despite being separated in age by less than two months. It is a cut-throat world being a young half in the eyes of restless Raiders fans.

Many a player have tried ? and failed ? to adequately fill the boots of Daley and Stuart. But those now trying to emulate their childhood heroes need to be given a chance ? to be their own player. Just last weekend, a Raiders side given no hope of defeating the table-topping Cowboys, produced a gritty defensive performance to take the Townsville side into extra-time. And for the first time in such a situation, it was not the ice-cool Clinton Schifcofske to save the day ? but a spiky haired teenager named Todd Carney with a forty metre field goal.

Perhaps the kid has finally arrived in first grade. Perhaps there is still hope for Terry Campese and with William Zillman waiting in the wings, perhaps the future for the Canberra Raiders is only just beginning.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

If 2004 was spent singing Campese?s praises, then the 2005 off-season was ?The summer of Carney.? Another local junior, Todd Carney debuted midway through the previous season ? a rapid rise from the SG Ball ranks 12 months previously. It was evident after only a handful of Premier League games that the ingredients were there; his passing, kicking and running games were sublime. Many a directionless display in firsts had been preceded by a Carney-led demolition in the lower grade. It seemed, again, that the long wait for a great half was over.
why all the ?????? :?
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

**** it's turned all my dashes into **** question marks :x
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

**** :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All your articles are looking very fine. :)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

if mine is ok grammatically and spellingly, ill post it tonight 8)