Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

tomorrow night is fulltime
:lol: :lol:

Dubby, had a quick read will give it a better read after dinner but i like it a lot 8)

will post my article up momentaryly
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Coaching Caper!

Not a quarter of the season has past and some teams have one eye looking ahead to 2007. Is this because only 6 rounds in these teams have already proved to be pretenders in 2006? Ha, perish the thought!

Such is merely the consequences of the coaching merry-go-round that has seen a whirl wind start to transfer market for the 2007 season. So far we’ve seen Newcastle and Parramatta trade Michael Hagan with Brian Smith respectively, Penrith ditching well respected coach John Lang, for the departing Raiders coach Matt Elliott. Canberra then replaced him with the highly rated rookie - Neil Henry.

After 6 rounds, I have decided to take you, the reader, through my analysis of where these teams stand at present. We’ll kick things off with a combination of the 2005 Minor Premiers and Wooden spooners, as they are so closely associated it almost impossible to split the analysis up! I speak of course of the Parramatta Eels and Newcastle Knights

Parramatta and Newcastle:
After a long illustrious history under Brian Smith, including Grand final appearance and 2 minor premiership, the Parramatta Eels elected to move on to greener pastures, how green was thrown to debate when the they announce Brian Smith (current JJ Gilliton Shield holder) successor would be current Knight and reigning wooden spoon coach, Michael Hagan.

Under Brain Smith Parramatta have failed to win the big one but have generally been amongst it each year and have continued to develop top class talent on a year by year basis, (names such as Tim Smith, Ben Smith and Dean Widders come to mind instantly) a lot of which can be attributed to Brian Smith.

On those facts alone this move appears to be nothing short of ludicrous, but one must remember *'s Knights won the spoon off the back of a horror injury toll and the *'s best player out for most of the season. In star contrast with a minimal injury toll the same team coached by the same man, currently sit 2nd on the NRL ladder behind only, NRL heavyweights – the North Queensland Cowboys, whilst Parramatta languish at the wrong end of the table.

We now move on to the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers, whom also have a rather direct connection when talking coaching movements.

Canberra and Penrith:
Whilst these teams may not be as directly involved as Newcastle and Parramatta, the outcome is just as confusing. After coming to Penrith from Cronulla, Coach John Lang brought the premiership to the foot of the mountains and has enjoyed early success in 2006, however in what can only be described as a baffling decision, the Panthers elected to give John Lang the **** and replace him with Raiders funny man – Matt Elliott.
A decision that has Raiders fans rejoicing and Penrith fans looking for the razor blades, and the start to the 2006 season has done little to numb both *'s respective agony and ecstasy type feelings. As the Canberra Raiders under the watchful eye of Mr Elliott conceded 126 points in two, and since have recorded 2 very dusty wins and another hiding from the Bulldogs.

Whilst on the other hand Penrith enjoyed their best start to a season in years, after prevailing in a close one over St George and one of the gutsy wins ever witnessed over Parramatta.

Thankfully for Raiders fans, they recently appointed Cowboys and *'s assistant and highly regarded up and comer on the coaching scene, Neil Henry. A man *'s track record of developing young up and comers and getting them ready to make their mark in the NRL is impeccable. He (Neil Henry) has been strongly attributed to the recent success of one time proverbial easy beats – the North Queensland Cowboys.

Unfortunately for John Lang, this leaves the competition with a full compliment of coaches for 2007 and not much on offer for a man only 3 years off a Premiership. So now with that head ache sorted, we are left with several unasked questions.

Can *'s career survive without the great Andrew Johns? And with the help of *'s best player, can Brian Smith sneer the premiership that has eluded him thus far? How will Mathew Elliott perform with a more established squad? Will John Lang snag a job else where? And is the hype surrounding incoming Raiders coach, Neil Henry, warranted? Time will tell, all that is left to say is…

Bring on 2007!
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Embarrassed at home- *'s sad decline

Over the past few seasons, Canberra has not had the greatest of success, while we have seemed to make most finals series, we were usually bundled out fairly quickly, in fact we have not won a finals match since the year 2000. But while we might not have had the greatest success in that department, one thing that the Raiders have always been proud of their home form, this doesn’t necessarily mean we win home matches, we have prided ourselves on being competitive and never getting belted in front of our home fans

Sadly over the past few seasons the occurrence of these embarrassing performances is starting to increase.
It all started last year in round 7 against Melbourne, despite out poor record against Melbourne and a team missing Jason Smith and Simon Woolford, the fans still went to the game in hope we could get home on the back of our home crowd, we were also excited to see how Todd Carney and Terry Campese would go in the halves together, but unfortunately for Todd he was benched just before kick off, but despite having a reshuffled we went into the break with hope trailing just 16-10. The second half was one Raiders fans would want to forget, a rib injury to Schif, Carney not getting a run until the match was truly over, and ultimately copping a 46-10 point belting.
But despite the belting, fans weren’t exactly in an angry mood, after all we had key players out, and lost our star fullback early in the 2nd half, the floodgates opening were attributed to injuries and inexperience and that this was one of those things that happened to every team.

By the time the next home game came along, the fans faith had been reinstated with 2 rare away wins in a row, we came up against an inform Sharks side, and despite getting out to an early lead, the raiders were run down 32-26 in a classic battle, but even though we got beaten in front of a home game, the side was completive and were without their influence fullback in Clinton Schifcofske, so there was always hope that we would bounce back.
Unfortunately for the Raiders, the season went downhill from there, winning only 3 more games all season, which happened to be at home. But despite finishing 14th, raiders fans found comfort in that we had a horrendous injury toll and we gave it our all and the home losses were attributed to instability. Little did we know that just a few weeks into the 2006 season we would be experiencing some embarrassing moments,

Round 2, 2006.
Canberra vs Newcastle, a match which we thought we had a good chance of winning after the previous weeks unexpected victory at Brookvale. Despite being dealt the blow of Schifcofske being ruled out of the match earlier in the week, fans were excited because William Zillman would be making his 1st grade debut. A few minutes into the game and the crowd rose up as the debutant scored a try early on, Newcastle responded with 2 tries of their own, but Phil Graham then crossed out wide to make it 12-8, there was hope, we were matching it with a team led by the great Joey Johns. Sadly what followed after that was simply embarrassing, with the Knights scoring tries at will, we did manage to score 6 tries of our own, but sadly the Knights scored 12, we were belted at home, in a real embarrassing performance, we would then go on to cop a 56-20 belting the next week at Aussie stadium, but amazingly showed courage to win a scrappy game 21-20 against Penrith, we were wiling to take any win and hoped that it would be the momentum needed to beat an under strength dogs next week at home base, sadly we pulled out another poor performance, with 2 late tries to Todd Carney making the 30-12 loss somewhat respectable.
Now just last Sunday we put in one of our worst performances ever as we got belted by a sharks side missing Dykes and Kimmorly, don’t let the 38-28 score line full you , we were lethargic, we couldn’t catch balls and were missing tackles at will, we fought back, only to throw it away, fans were left bewildered, what has happened to the once feared Bruce Stadium?

We can only hope Neil Henry will help reinstall the fear.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Sorry gents, I'm out.

I got up early to try and write something but I had no energy or ideas. I go to work soon and I don't get home until just before the deadline so I can't possibly do anything. The last week for me has been a nightmare.

Sorry for letting ya's down as I wanted to be Mr. Consistency... but I really think we need some new recruits or we'll all gonna fizzle out and die, I think it's time to look outside the "Raiders organisation" perhaps...
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

No dramas IBG, Nick will have to do the switcheroo tonight with substituting you out and getting Schifty in.

OK dubby just PM'ed me at LU, I'm gonna cast my eye over his article, fix any grammar issues and he should be ready to submit shortly.

Schifty I will also get onto your article later today, great premise mate and I'll give it a touch-up Stu-style around lunchtime, come onto MSN when you're around and we'll go through it.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Dubby mate - great article, loved it. Only minor cosmetic changes have been made by me in the below edit, see how it reads to you.

All I've done is to capitalise all the 'i' 's (they are pretty anal about all that stuff), and fix the punctuation during the spoken text. I also broke up the paragraphs involving spoken text to improve flow.

Other than that no major changes at all.
dubby, edited by Stu wrote: Under Pressure

Brian Gorton left the examination hall at his high school feeling even more miserable. He was pretty certain he had failed his Modern History exam, and had done so in a big way. It has been hard for Brian to focus on his studies lately, having had a fair bit on his mind.

"Hey Gorto, how did you think you went, mate?".

Oh great, he thought. Now his day was really going from bad to worse. It was Trevor Malone, one of the schools biggest geeks; he looked like the guy off the Mad magazine, but with big fat glasses and a lisp.

"Not bad, Trev, I think I might have aced it actually" came Brians reply.

"Man, I think I blew it." Trevor whined.

Brian could actually imagine what Trevor would look like in about 30 years. He imagined Trevor laying in some hospital bed somewhere, dying of cancer. He could imagine Trevor's idiot wife and idiot kids there, crying in remorse and loss. They looked stupid.

"That's bad luck Trev. Anyway, I gotta go mate. I'll see you around" Brian responded, hoping like hell he wouldn't see Trevor around.

Trev looked closer at Brian. "Are you okay Gorto? You seem a bit tense."

"I wonder the hell why?" Brian said in his mind, but instead he just shrugged.

"I'll be okay mate."

You bet he was going to be okay.
You see, Brian had been the focus of a lot of attention lately. It seemed that Brian had been the possessor of a small amount of marijuana. A random tip off had led the schools' headmaster to do a room search of one Brian Gorton, and surprisingly the drugs were found in his desk.

Did anyone consider that the dope was left there by someone who absolutely despised him, someone who was jealous that the plain looking, uncool and very ordinary student named Brian Gorton, owner of a Canberra Raiders Jersey Flegg scholarship?

Of course not.

Not when there are far more intelligent and attractive people in the schools' First XIII who are worthy of such an honour. People who can go into town and screw any of the local girls; guys who go out drinking with the boys and don't invite Brian - because they all know he would rather be studying and trying to obtain a score on his HSC to obtain entry to University. In the end, he became an outsider in the team. Most guys were polite enough, but there were a few who insisted on making him the brunt of all jokes, whose practical jokes were often painful and humiliating. There was the time Ben Edwards taped Brian's head up with masking tape at training one day. He could see most guys disagreed with it, but because the likes of Ben Edwards were involved, the others just stood there and pretended to laugh, or looked away.

But now, Brian had nothing. The Raiders were about to tear up the contract, he was the scorn of his over-bearing father and an embarresment to his family. His peers had nicknamed him "the dealer".

Nobody seemed to care Brian was innocent.

Brian climbed the stairs to his room, up on the fourth floor of the building. Being in Year 12 offered the luxury of your own room at this particular Bording school, and today, Brian was using this freedom to do something that would make things right.

On his room wall was a large poster of his favourite player; Clinton Shifcofske. He too, was in a pickle over drugs a few years ago, Brian remembered.

"It is said, that the only thing necessary for evil to prevail, is for good men to stand by and do nothing," Brian told the poster.

Choc said nothing.

"Well, I have proven that theory, and today, I will conduct a further experiment to see if it is true in the lives of others. The minority won't be heard, but if you include the majority, your point is respected."

Choc still said nothing.

Brian pulled out a towel from under his bed, and unwrapped it. Inside was his fathers 30.06 Remington, and a box of ammo. He loaded the gun. He looked down the barrell and through the scope. He saw some kid greeting his parents over beyond the front gardens. He aimed at the kids head.

"The only thing necessary for evil to prevail...."

735 words including title.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

My article is in, Schifty I'll get onto yours in a little while. :)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Schifty mate I've edited the bit in italics so far, bit busy here at work but I'll get onto the second half of your article in a little while.
Schifty, edited by Stu wrote: Embarrassed at Home - *'s Sad Decline

The Canberra Raiders have not had the most success of late. While making most finals series in recent memory (with the exception of 2005), they have not been long visits to September - elimination in the first week being our most common fate. In fact, the Raiders have not won a finals match since the year 2000, when the great Laurie Daley was still playing. While 'The Green Machine' has been premiership-starved of late, one thing that the Raiders have always been proud of is their home form. Canberra Stadium (formerly known as Bruce Stadium) has traditionally been a graveyard for opposing teams since its opening in 1990; despite running second-last in 2005, visiting sides were always faced with a competitive Raiders outfit in their trips to the capital.

Sadly over the past few seasons a spate of embarassing efforts by the Raiders have been witnessed by their own fans, in their own backyard.
It all started last year against Melbourne, a team that has regularly troubled Canberra in recent times. Missing Jason Smith and Simon Woolford, there was optimism amongst home fans that teenage halves pairing Todd Carney and Terry Campese would lead the Raiders to an unlikely victory. In what has become the story of Todd's career however, he was benched just before kick off and saw little action that day; the disappointing Raiders conceding 36 unanswered points at home to be humiliated in a 46-10 point belting.

Fans weren’t exactly in an angry mood however despite an insipid home performance; key players were missing, Clinton Schifcofske was injured early in the piece, and the inexperienced halves were unable to carry the side. It was considered 'one of those things that happened to every team.'

By the time the next home game came along, the fans faith had been reinstated with 2 rare away wins in a row, we came up against an inform Sharks side, and despite getting out to an early lead, the raiders were run down 32-26 in a classic battle, but even though we got beaten in front of a home game, the side was completive and were without their influence fullback in Clinton Schifcofske, so there was always hope that we would bounce back.
Unfortunately for the Raiders, the season went downhill from there, winning only 3 more games all season, which happened to be at home. But despite finishing 14th, raiders fans found comfort in that we had a horrendous injury toll and we gave it our all and the home losses were attributed to instability. Little did we know that just a few weeks into the 2006 season we would be experiencing some embarrassing moments,

Round 2, 2006.
Canberra vs Newcastle, a match which we thought we had a good chance of winning after the previous weeks unexpected victory at Brookvale. Despite being dealt the blow of Schifcofske being ruled out of the match earlier in the week, fans were excited because William Zillman would be making his 1st grade debut. A few minutes into the game and the crowd rose up as the debutant scored a try early on, Newcastle responded with 2 tries of their own, but Phil Graham then crossed out wide to make it 12-8, there was hope, we were matching it with a team led by the great Joey Johns. Sadly what followed after that was simply embarrassing, with the Knights scoring tries at will, we did manage to score 6 tries of our own, but sadly the Knights scored 12, we were belted at home, in a real embarrassing performance, we would then go on to cop a 56-20 belting the next week at Aussie stadium, but amazingly showed courage to win a scrappy game 21-20 against Penrith, we were wiling to take any win and hoped that it would be the momentum needed to beat an under strength dogs next week at home base, sadly we pulled out another poor performance, with 2 late tries to Todd Carney making the 30-12 loss somewhat respectable.
Now just last Sunday we put in one of our worst performances ever as we got belted by a sharks side missing Dykes and Kimmorly, don’t let the 38-28 score line full you , we were lethargic, we couldn’t catch balls and were missing tackles at will, we fought back, only to throw it away, fans were left bewildered, what has happened to the once feared Bruce Stadium?

We can only hope Neil Henry will help reinstall the fear.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

OK great news dubby is in, so three of ours are in vs one (Willow) for the Bags.

Nick mate you'll have to edit your article to make reference to Smith's resignation from Parramatta!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

OK dude - this is 805 words! I'll get on cutting it down shortly.
Schifty, edited by Stu wrote: Embarrassed at Home - *'s Sad Decline

The Canberra Raiders have not had the most success of late. While making most finals series in recent memory (with the exception of 2005), they have not been long visits to September - elimination in the first week being our most common fate. In fact, the Raiders have not won a finals match since the year 2000, when the great Laurie Daley was still playing. While 'The Green Machine' has been premiership-starved of late, one thing that the Raiders have always been proud of is their home form. Canberra Stadium (formerly known as Bruce Stadium) has traditionally been a graveyard for opposing teams since its opening in 1990; despite running second-last in 2005, visiting sides were always faced with a competitive Raiders outfit in their trips to the capital.

Sadly over the past few seasons a spate of embarassing efforts by the Raiders have been witnessed by their own fans, in their own backyard.
It all started last year against Melbourne, a team that has regularly troubled Canberra in recent times. Missing Jason Smith and Simon Woolford, there was optimism amongst home fans that teenage halves pairing Todd Carney and Terry Campese would lead the Raiders to an unlikely victory. In what has become the story of Todd's career however, he was benched just before kick off and saw little action that day; the disappointing Raiders conceding 36 unanswered points at home to be humiliated in a 46-10 point belting.

Fans weren’t exactly in an angry mood however despite an insipid home performance; key players were missing, Clinton Schifcofske was injured early in the piece, and the inexperienced halves were unable to carry the side. It was considered 'one of those things that happened to every team.'

After two rare away wins in a row, the fans' faith had been reinstated as the Raiders came up against an in-form Sharks side. Despite getting out to an early lead, Canberra were run down 32-26 in a classic battle, whereas in years gone by there would have been no way back for a visiting side after conceding so many points early on.

2005 would conclude horrifically for Canberra, with an injury toll that would almost prevent the Raiders fielding a fit seventeen players by the final round of the regular season. The season ended with seven straight losses, four of which were at home - an unprecedented losing streak at the once mighty Canberra Stadium. While there were mitigating circumstances for the losses, such as the absence of key players, it was clear that visiting Canberra was no longer a difficult road trip for travelling teams.

Predicted by many to collect the 2006 wooden spoon, Canberra fans had their hopes lifted (most likely prematurely) with an unexpected victory at Brookvale. To follow was the first home match of the season against the Newcastle Knights, a team who had only won one match in the ACT in their entire history. Despite losing Clinton Schifcofske earlier in the week, fans were excited because William Zillman - the kid everyone had been talking about - was to make his 1st grade debut. The debutant may have scored early on, but that was the end of the joy for Canberra; the Knights scored 12 seemingly effortless tries to scorch the Raiders 70-32. It may have been a hot day, and 'Joey' Johns may have been at his mercurial best - but Canberra's loyal fans had endured a truly embarrassing performance.

To concede 70 points at home was beyond belief for many Raiders fans, and naturally the call for coach Matthew Elliott's resignation began. While 2005 was a difficult struggle for all concerned, the losses were mostly competitive. This time, however, all pride in the lime green jersey had been lost.

After another hammering, this time a 56-20 loss the following week at Aussie stadium, the Raiders managed to salvage some pride with a one point extra-time victory in front of their suffering fans. Up against an understrength Dogs side again at home base it seemed that the Raiders could get their season back on track; the inconsistent Raiders however lodged another terrible performance in a 30-12 whitewah.

Be it inconsistency, a poor playing roster or the instability surrounding Matthew Elliott's departure from the club, something is wrong with the Raiders at home. Every loss suffered in 2006 has been accompanied by a 30-plus scoreline; just last week a Sharks side missing Dykes and Kimmorley handed the Raiders another thrashing at Canberra Stadium.

Can the fear accompanying a trip to the ACT be restored? Or is it simply a case of the players not being good enough? After five years of Matthew Elliott and the record at home in the club's history, it is time for a change.

Neil Henry has a big job on his hands.
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Cheers for the edit thickos, I have managed to get it to under 750 words

----------------------------------------------
The Canberra Raiders have not had the most success of late. While making most finals series in recent memory (with the exception of 2005), they have not been long visits to September - elimination in the first week being our most common fate. In fact, the Raiders have not won a finals match since the year 2000. While 'The Green Machine' has been premiership-starved of late, one thing that the Raiders have always been proud of is their home form. Canberra Stadium (formerly known as Bruce Stadium) has traditionally been a graveyard for opposing teams since its opening in 1990; despite running second-last in 2005, visiting sides were always faced with a competitive Raiders outfit in their trips to the capital.

Sadly over the past few seasons a spate of embarrassing efforts by the Raiders have been witnessed by their own fans, in their own backyard.
It all started last year against Melbourne, a team that has regularly troubled Canberra in recent times. Missing Jason Smith and Simon Woolford, there was optimism amongst home fans that young Todd Carney and Terry Campese would lead the Raiders to an unlikely victory. In what has become the story of Todd's career however, he was benched just before kick off and saw little action that day; the disappointing Raiders conceding 36 unanswered points at home to be humiliated in a 46-10 point belting.

But fans remained calm, after all Clinton Schifcofske was taken off and we had new halves . But It was considered 'one of those things that happened to every team.'

After two rare away wins in a row, the fans faith had been reinstated as the Raiders came up against an in-form Sharks side. Despite getting out to an early lead, Canberra were run down 32-26. Was fortress Bruce starting to show a few holes?

2005 would conclude horrifically for Canberra, with an injury toll that would almost prevent the Raiders fielding a fit seventeen players for our last match. The season ended with seven straight losses, four of which were at home - an unprecedented losing streak at the once mighty Canberra Stadium. While there were mitigating circumstances for the losses, such as the absence of key players, it was clear that visiting Canberra was no longer a difficult road trip for travelling teams.

Predicted by many to collect the 2006 wooden spoon, Canberra fans had their hopes lifted (most likely prematurely) with an unexpected victory at Brookvale. To follow was the first home match of the season against the Newcastle Knights, a team who had only won one match in the ACT in their entire history. Despite losing Clinton Schifcofske earlier in the week, fans were excited because William Zillman - the kid everyone had been talking about - was to make his 1st grade debut. The debutant may have scored early on, but that was the end of the joy for Canberra; the Knights scored 12 seemingly effortless tries to scorch the Raiders 70-32. It may have been a hot day, and 'Joey' Johns may have been at his mercurial best - but Canberra's loyal fans had endured a truly embarrassing performance.

To concede 70 points at home was beyond belief for many Raiders fans, and naturally the call for Coach Elliott's resignation began. While 2005 was a difficult struggle for all concerned, the losses were mostly competitive. This time, however, all pride in the lime green jersey had been lost.

After another hammering, this time a 56-20 loss the following week at Aussie stadium, the Raiders managed to salvage some pride with a one point extra-time victory in front of their suffering fans. Up against an under strength Dogs side again at home base it seemed that the Raiders could get their season back on track; the inconsistent Raiders however lodged another terrible performance in a 30-12 whitewash.

Be it inconsistency, a poor playing roster or the instability surrounding Matthew Elliott's departure from the club, something is wrong with the Raiders at home. Every loss suffered in 2006 has been accompanied by a 30-plus score line; just last week a Sharks side missing Dykes and Kimmorley handed the Raiders another thrashing at Canberra Stadium.

Can the fear accompanying a trip to the ACT be restored? Or is it simply a case of the players not being good enough? After five years of Matthew *'s plan and a declining home record, it is time for a change.

Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Forgot that I need a title :lol: :lol:

anyway here goes, exactly 750 words

---------------Embarrassed at Home - *'s Sad Decline

The Canberra Raiders have not had the most success of late. While making most finals series in recent memory (with the exception of 2005), they have lasted long in September - elimination in the first week being our most common fate. In fact, the Raiders have not won a finals match since the year 2000. While 'The Green Machine' has been premiership-starved of late, one thing that the Raiders have always been proud of is their home form. Canberra Stadium (formerly known as Bruce Stadium) has traditionally been a graveyard for opposing teams since its opening in 1990; despite running second-last in 2005, visiting sides were always faced with a competitive Raiders outfit in their trips to Canberra.

Sadly over the past few seasons a spate of embarrassing efforts by the Raiders have been witnessed by their own fans, in their own backyard.
It all started last year against Melbourne, a team that has regularly troubled Canberra in recent times. Missing Jason Smith and Simon Woolford, there was optimism amongst home fans that young Todd Carney and Terry Campese would lead the Raiders to an unlikely victory. In what has become the story of Todd's career however, he was benched just before kick off and saw little action that day; the disappointing Raiders conceding 36 unanswered points at home to be humiliated in a 46-10 point belting.

But fans remained calm, after all Clinton Schifcofske was taken off and we had new halves . But It was considered 'one of those things that happened to every team.'

After two rare away wins in a row, the fans faith had been reinstated as the Raiders came up against an in-form Sharks side. Despite getting out to an early lead, Canberra were run down 32-26. Was fortress Bruce starting to show a few holes?

2005 would conclude horrifically for Canberra, with an injury toll that would almost prevent the Raiders fielding a fit seventeen players for our last match. The season ended with seven straight losses, four of which were at home - an unprecedented losing streak at the once mighty Canberra Stadium. While there were mitigating circumstances for the losses, such as the absence of key players, it was clear that visiting Canberra was no longer a difficult road trip for travelling teams.

To concede 70 points at home was beyond belief for many Raiders fans, and naturally the call for Coach Elliott's resignation began. While 2005 was a difficult struggle for all concerned, the losses were mostly competitive. This time, however, all pride in the lime green jersey had been lost.

After another hammering, this time a 56-20 thumping at Aussie Stadium, the Raiders managed to salvage some pride with a one point extra-time victory in front of their suffering fans. Up against an under strength Dogs side again at home base it seemed that the Raiders could get their season back on track; the inconsistent Raiders however lodged another terrible performance in a 30-12 whitewash.

Be it inconsistency, a poor playing roster or the instability surrounding Matthew Elliott's departure from the club, something is wrong with the Raiders at home. Every loss suffered in 2006 has been accompanied by a 30-plus score line; just last week a Sharks side missing Dykes and Kimmorley handed the Raiders another thrashing at Canberra Stadium.

Can the fear accompanying a trip to the ACT be restored? Or is it simply a case of the players not being good enough? After five years of Matthew *'s plan and a declining home record, it is time for a change.

thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Well played Schifmeister, looks good. Now all you need is Nick to sub you in and away we go :D
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

My name change on LU appears to still be confusing, the fact that I ahve the 'Schifty' Banner doesn't help :lol: . Hey thickos think you coudl edit my banner?
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

yeah mate i can do that, just keep reminding me about it hahah.

Will get onto it tomorrow or something.

Well done team on another 5v5 effort, I think this one will be very close.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

We lost guys:
Raiders

Greeneyed - The heart and soul (750 words)
Nice story about a real champion.

thickos - Scoreless (750 words)
Well told tale of a Raiders fanatic.

dubby - Under Pressure (735 words)
I found this a little short on league content.

Raider_69 - Coaching Caper! (745 words)
Tale of the mad coaching merry-go-round.

Schifty Embarrassed at Home - *'s Sad Decline (750 words)
It is sad to see the “we may lose but we never get hammered” credos having gone out the window.

Raiders Total 421

Bluebags

Willow - A history of canine pursuits (747 words)
No holding back in this short history of Canterbury.

Bring Back John Fifita - Life Goes On (744 words)
Letting go of Lance, good stuff.

Rexxy - Default Freddy Jones Diary (746 words)
A laugh-a-thon from go to wo.

HMS Cheesemaker - Tickets to Ride (750 words)
Good look at where the game should head.

legend - 2006: Ho hum... (753 words)
An unimpressed look at the season thus far.
84 minus 2 points word count penalty = 82

Bluebags Total 442

Bluebags 442 defeat Raiders 421
MOM Rexxy
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

wow whata belting :shock:
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Some of their articles were great so I can see why that result happened.

Sorry for letting you down guys and not posting, but I wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

We'll regroup and go hard for the next game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Let's hope we can. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in my scores lately. Don't know what else I can do to lift. I thought Thickos article was particularly hard done by though.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

no surprises there
myself and schiftys articles were not the best, and were rushed and most of theirs were top class

thickos and GE carved it up for us, Both hard done by IMO
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Yeah I didn't think there was 21 points in it, but Willow and legend have F7 articles down to a tee, and Rexxy - he's just a funny bastard. He did win article of the year last year.

We'll bounce back, I have no doubt :)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

indeed
any team boasting rexxy, legend and willow is gonna be a tough one to beat, and ya need to be at your best, due to many reasons we wernt

but as thickos said, we will bounce back :D