Moderator: GH Moderators

thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Where's Nick?
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Big Mick has just announced the substitution so I'm sure the Panthers will get all 5 in.

Not confident :doubt:

I hope you've been offline all day writing Nick :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sure you can't manage something Skeepe? There's still 3 hours....
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Yeah I hate to say it but I think we're screwed unless Nick can pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat.

GE, people have lives. If he can't write he can't write. It's not the end of the world.
Last edited by IBG on April 19, 2006, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

shocking day, been flat out all day at the old mans shop

schifty will sub you in for skeepe, ive pm'ed dubby, ill work on mine just incase 8)
working tonight at 8 so im pressed for time and this will be a big rush job :shock:
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Geez arn't you guys full of optimism and confidence, I have an article, 69 will have an article we are still good and we shall wein 8)

Bloody Negos :P
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

IBG... you are, of course, right...
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Remember to sub in Stelios Giannakopoulos, also I need a last minute executive decision, Origin article or Neil Henry one?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

damn straight schifty!

completely understand skeepe pulling out, easter is always a busy time for everyone, including my bludging self

ill have to pull my finger out and get this one done for the team
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

I've gone with the Neil Henry one, the Origin one isn't quiet ready yet, would like to do more with it, so I shall save it for next round.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

BTW Nick we're expecting a 95. :lol:
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

IBG wrote:BTW Nick we're expecting a 95. :lol:
and if you don't, captaincy will be stripped from you.

No pressure mate :)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

you can sack me, i quit!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Coaching Caper!

Not a quarter of the season has past and some teams have one eye looking ahead to 2007. Is this because only 6 rounds in these teams have already proved to be pretenders in 2006? Ha, perish the thought!

Such is merely the consequences of the coaching merry-go-round that has seen a whirl wind start to transfer market for the 2007 season. So far we’ve seen Newcastle and Parramatta trade Michael Hagan with Brian Smith respectively, Penrith ditching well respected coach John Lang, for the departing Raiders coach Matt Elliott. Canberra then replaced him with the highly rated rookie - Neil Henry.

After 6 rounds, I have decided to take you, the reader, through my analysis of where these teams stand. We’ll kick things off with a combination of the 2005 Minor Premiers and Wooden spooners, as they are so closely associated it almost impossible to split the analysis up! I speak of course of the Parramatta Eels and Newcastle Knights

Parramatta and Newcastle:
After a long illustrious history under Brian Smith, including Grand final appearance and 2 minor premiership, the Parramatta Eels elected to move on to greener pastures, how green was thrown to debate when the they announce Brian Smith (current JJ Gilliton Shield holder) successor would be current Knight and reigning wooden spoon coach, Michael Hagan.

Under Brain Smith Parramatta have failed to win the big one but have generally been amongst it each year and have continued to develop top class talent on a year by year basis, (names such as Tim Smith, Ben Smith and Dean Widders come to mind instantly) a lot of which can be attributed to Brian Smith.

On those facts alone this move appears to be nothing short of ludicrous, but one must remember *'s Knights won the spoon off the back of a horror injury toll and the *'s best player out for most of the season. In star contrast with a minimal injury toll the same team coached by the same man, currently sit 2nd on the NRL ladder behind only, NRL heavyweights – the North Queensland Cowboys, whilst Parramatta languish at the wrong end of the table.

We now move on to the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers, whom also have a rather direct connection when talking coaching movements.

Canberra and Penrith:
Whilst these teams may not be as directly involved as Newcastle and Parramatta, the outcome is just as confusing. After coming to Penrith from Cronulla, Coach John Lang brought the premiership to the foot of the mountains and has enjoyed early success in 2006, however in what can only be described as a baffling decision, the Panthers

The questions unanswered are simple – Can *'s career survive without the great Andrew Johns? And with the help of *'s best player, can Brian Smith sneer the premiership that has eluded him thus far? How will Mathew Elliott perform with a more established squad? Will John Lang snag a job else where? And is the hype surrounding incoming Raiders coach, Neil Henry, warranted? Time will tell, all that is left to say is…

Bring on 2007!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

got 200 words to go, ill leave it here, GE can you do a grammer cheak and **** on it and if its after 7:30 and i havnt posted it, post it via proxy for me... ive cleared it in the game thread
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

Nick I'd just post it before you go to work. Will look a bit sus if you don't post it before you go, it's pretty much admitting someone else will be working on it for you.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Yeah not the best idea Nick, I'd agree with IBG. Let me see what I can do in the next 20 minutes lol before I go.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

lol ok mate
ive got another 50-60 words to do
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty... your article has mistakes in it. I will try and fix them up immediately, will post a corrected version below.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Coaching Caper!

Not a quarter of the season has past and some teams have one eye looking ahead to 2007. Is this because only 6 rounds in these teams have already proved to be pretenders in 2006? Ha, perish the thought!

Such is merely the consequences of the coaching merry-go-round that has seen a whirl wind start to transfer market for the 2007 season. So far we’ve seen Newcastle and Parramatta trade Michael Hagan with Brian Smith respectively, Penrith ditching well respected coach John Lang, for the departing Raiders coach Matt Elliott. Canberra then replaced him with the highly rated rookie - Neil Henry.

After 6 rounds, I have decided to take you, the reader, through my analysis of where these teams stand. We’ll kick things off with a combination of the 2005 Minor Premiers and Wooden spooners, as they are so closely associated it almost impossible to split the analysis up! I speak of course of the Parramatta Eels and Newcastle Knights

After a long illustrious history under Brian Smith, including Grand final appearance and 2 minor premiership, the Parramatta Eels elected to move on to greener pastures, how green was thrown to debate when the they announce Brian Smith (current JJ Gilliton Shield holder) successor would be current Knight and reigning wooden spoon coach, Michael Hagan.

Under Brain Smith Parramatta have failed to win the big one but have generally been amongst it each year and have continued to develop top class talent on a year by year basis, (names such as Tim Smith, Ben Smith and Dean Widders come to mind instantly) a lot of which can be attributed to Brian Smith.

On those facts alone this move appears to be nothing short of ludicrous, but one must remember *'s Knights won the spoon off the back of a horror injury toll and the *'s best player out for most of the season. In star contrast with a minimal injury toll the same team coached by the same man, currently sit 2nd on the NRL ladder behind only, NRL heavyweights – the North Queensland Cowboys, whilst Parramatta languish at the wrong end of the table.

We now move on to the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers, whom also have a rather direct connection when talking coaching movements.

Canberra and Penrith:
Whilst these teams may not be as directly involved as Newcastle and Parramatta, the outcome is just as confusing. After coming to Penrith from Cronulla, Coach John Lang brought the premiership to the foot of the mountains and has enjoyed early success in 2006, however in what can only be described as a baffling decision, the Panthers elected to give John Lang the **** and replace him with Raiders funny man – Matt Elliott.
A decision that has Raiders fans rejoicing and Penrith fans looking for the razor blades, and the start to the 2006 season has done little to numb both *'s respective agony and ecstasy type feelings. As the Canberra Raiders under the watchful eye of Mr Elliott conceded 126 points in two, and since have recorded 2 very dusty wins and another hiding from the Bulldogs.

Whilst on the other hand Penrith enjoyed their best start to a season in years, after prevailing in a close one over St George and one of the gutsy wins ever witnessed over Parramatta.

Thankfully for Raiders fans, they recently appointed Cowboys and *'s assistant and highly regarded up and comer on the coaching scene, Neil Henry. A man *'s track record of developing young up and comers and getting them ready to make their mark in the NRL is impeccable. He has been strongly attributed to the recent success of one time proverbial easy beats – the North Queensland Cowboys

The questions unanswered are simple – Can *'s career survive without the great Andrew Johns? And with the help of *'s best player, can Brian Smith sneer the premiership that has eluded him thus far? How will Mathew Elliott perform with a more established squad? Will John Lang snag a job else where? And is the hype surrounding incoming Raiders coach, Neil Henry, warranted? Time will tell, all that is left to say is…

Bring on 2007!
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Raider_69, edit job by stu wrote:Coaching Caper!

Less than a quarter of the 2006 NRL season has elapsed for some teams, the majority of the interests lies in what is in store come 2007. Before the days of such an even competition this used to be the domain (and dream) of the easybeats, but due to the unprecedented coaching movements so early in the season, many teams have a massive question mark over their short-term future.

Before a ball was kicked in anger in 2006, Newcastle and Parramatta essentially traded Michael Hagan and Brian Smith, while Penrith took the bizarre (and some would say unbelievable) option of punting premiership winning coach John Lang after they had already secretly signed Canberra coach Matthee Elliott. The Raiders remained coachless for 2007 until only a week ago with the appointment of Cowboys assistant coach Neil Henry, who beat out highly fancied candidates such as former Australian coach Chris Anderson - despite having no first grade coaching experience.

So what will happen to these teams in the present - namely, the 2006 season currently at hand? Will the coaches who are moving on have one eye on their future club, possibly attempting to take off-contract players with them? Or will it spur them on even further, to possibly leave on the highest note possible? Will John Lang, the only coach without a position for 2007, lose the motivation to work hard for Penrith this season knowing he was 'white anted' by his club?

The situation could hardly be more different between these two clubs, finishing at opposite ends of the table in 2005. Newcastle was a train wreck last season with injury, poor form and off-field incidents derailing the club while the unfancied Eels claimed a hotly contested minor premiership. Somehow, however, both clubs wanted the other clubs' coach. Why?

After a long illustrious history under Brian Smith, including a Grand final appearance in 2001 and two minor premierships, the Parramatta Eels decided that after over a decade in charge, it was time for a change - Michael Hagan. While Parramatta have failed to win the "big one" under Smith, there is no doubt he has left the club in a far better state than when he arrived. Perennial finals contenders and the development of top class talent such as Tim Smith, Ben Smith and Dean Widders has made the Eels one of Sydney's strongest NRL clubs. Why target the reigning wooden spoon coach?

On face value this move appears to be nothing short of ludicrous, and a massive loss for Parramatta. One must remember however that *'s Knights won the spoon off the back of a horror injury toll and the *'s best player, Andrew Johsn, missing for long periods. Hagan also claimed a premiership in his first season in charge and has coached his state - clearly he is no dud. 2006 gives us a different impression - with a minimal injury toll the same team coached by the same man, currently sit 2nd on the ladder behind only the North Queensland Cowboys. Parramatta languish at the wrong end of the table, and it is hard to tell which club has won out with the 'better' coach.

Canberra and Penrith:

Whilst these teams may not be as directly involved as Newcastle and Parramatta, the outcome is just as confusing. After coming to Penrith from Cronulla, coach John Lang brought the premiership to the foot of the mountains and has enjoyed early success in 2006 after a disappointing 2005. Yet in what many would consider a bizarre move, the Panthers made a massive play for Matthew Elliott, whose Raiders side is considered the most boring and stilted in the NRL, and who suffered record consecutive defeats to open 2006. Why sack the man who brought Penrith so much success?

Penrith officials can justify the move, appreciating that Elliott's strengths lie in coaching a forward-dominated side, and the Panthers have one of the biggest packs in the league. Yet Elliott's 'legacy' at Canberra will be the poor development of the young halves at the club such as Todd Carney and Terry Campese - so what does the future hold for young Penrith five-eight Peter Wallace? Will Elliott 'pull a Drew' and play a hooker out of position to cover the loss of Preston Cambell in 2007?

Many Canberra fans, while feeling Penrith's pain, are smiling once more - Neil Henry has made all the right noises in the media regarding attacking football and a strong focus on the local junior talent at the club. Time will tell but both Penrith and Canberra fans feel that the Raiders have been the big winner in this coaching switch.

No one, however, can predict what 2006 holds, let along 2007. Can *'s career survive without the great Andrew Johns? With the help of *'s best player, can Brian Smith sneer the premiership that has eluded him thus far? How will Mathew Elliott perform with a more established squad? Will John Lang snag a job elsewhere, and is the hype surrounding incoming Raiders coach, Neil Henry, warranted? Time will tell, all that is left to say is…

Bring on 2007!
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

Nick, 2nd paragraph of the Parra/Newcastle section, you've got it as "Brain" Smith.

Also the second last sentence in yours "time will tell" is the same as Schifty's, might wanna change that a bit.

Other than that, good effort for a last minute rush job. :)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Nick check what I've done, see if you like it - have no idea how long it is.

Gotta run guys, good luck with that nick!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Renewed Hope - Canberra 2007

When Neil *'s name was tossed around as a potential replacement for Matt Elliott in 2007, the reaction of many Canberra fans was: "Neil who?"

But a bit of research will tell you that this man is by no means a rookie coach. He has 20 years of experience and is currently assistant coach to the most exciting attacking team in the competition.

Raiders management had been quoted as saying they were after a high profile coach while searching for a replacement for Elliott. Now while Henry might not be high profile, the emerging consensus amongst Canberra fans is that he is by far the best option for the Green Machine.

With Daniel Anderson and Terry Matterson under contract and no chance of being released, the decision came down to:

* Neil Henry- exciting young coach, who has a solid record of juniors, likes an attacking style of footy; or

* Chris Anderson- former Premiership winning coach who will now forever have the reputation of tearing clubs apart, and notably letting go a Dally M Player of the Year, who went on to win a premiership the following year.

Prior to the club's decision to appoint Henry being announced, Canberra fans were split on this issue. Some believed that a tough, old-school Anderson was the solution. Some believed the young up-and-comer, with a good record of junior development, was the answer.

When Henry was appointed many fans were happy. But since Henry started getting some air time, he seems to have almost everyone converted.

The words “attacking footy”, “offloads” and “short passes" were ones that Canberra fans hadn’t really heard from a coach in five years. When Henry started talking about how he believes in the young talent in the club and wants to turn the team into an attacking side, it was almost beyond belief - for fans who had become accustomed to the conservative middle of the park style that has become a norm in Canberra.

But, at the same time, Henry has been realistic. He acknowledged that transforming the style of the side would not happen overnight - he knows that changing an entire football side's mentality takes time.

Players in the Raiders camp seem to be as excited as the fans at the thought of playing this attacking style of rugby league.

Raiders centre David Howell has been quoted as saying: "It will be exciting [to play] a different style of football and have a new change. I think it will be good for the players that have been here for a while as well to have something different.”

If you think Howell is excited, just imagine how young halves William Zillman and Marc Herbert are feeling. When Henry was asked about how he would fill the void left by Jason Smith's likely departure at the end of 2006, he talked about how he has seen the likes of Carney, Zillman and Herbert play and how believes that they will step up to the next level. The number six jersey is up for grabs next season. Todd Carney will probably get first shot at the number seven which means Zillman and Herbert will be playing their hearts out to try impress Henry enough to win the number six jersey. Healthy competition for any spots is always a positive thing. Having it in the halves is even better.

The issue of Canberra's inability to attract “big name” players to club has been a significant talking point recently. It is why the club was thought to favour a "high profile" coach. Many excuses have been trundled out in the past... "Canberra is too cold” or "Canberra is too boring" for young players keen night time action

Henry doesn’t bother with these old excuses. After his appointment, he simply stated that immediately recruiting the big names would be tough. But he also said he believes passionately in the young talent in Canberra and surrounding districts. He said that the Raiders have some great young players in the ranks already who want to play finals footy - and if Canberra can consistently perform and make finals footy, players will want to come here.

A coach that has faith in juniors, passionate about the local area, wants to turn us into an attacking machine... Things are looking much better in the nation's capital.

The question remains, however: Will Neil Henry be the man that revives the mighty Green Machine? Only time will tell.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This version 747 words including title.

The errors aren't huge, but there is one sentence that is not a sentence, and it pretty obvious.
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

............Or just use Stu's version. :lol:

Which is 860 words btw.
Last edited by IBG on April 19, 2006, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

8)
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Coaching Caper!

After 6 rounds, I have decided to take you, the reader, through my analysis of where these teams stand at present. We’ll kick things off with a combination of the 2005 Minor Premiers and Wooden spooners, as they are so closely associated it almost impossible to split the analysis up! I speak of course of the Parramatta Eels and Newcastle Knights

Canberra and Penrith:
Whilst these teams may not be as directly involved as Newcastle and Parramatta, the outcome is just as confusing. After coming to Penrith from Cronulla, Coach John Lang brought the premiership to the foot of the mountains and has enjoyed early success in 2006, however in what can only be described as a baffling decision, the Panthers elected to give John Lang the **** and replace him with Raiders funny man – Matt Elliott.
A decision that has Raiders fans rejoicing and Penrith fans looking for the razor blades, and the start to the 2006 season has done little to numb both *'s respective agony and ecstasy type feelings. As the Canberra Raiders under the watchful eye of Mr Elliott conceded 126 points in two, and since have recorded 2 very dusty wins and another hiding from the Bulldogs.

Whilst on the other hand Penrith enjoyed their best start to a season in years, after prevailing in a close one over St George and one of the gutsy wins ever witnessed over Parramatta.

Thankfully for Raiders fans, they recently appointed Cowboys and *'s assistant and highly regarded up and comer on the coaching scene, Neil Henry. A man *'s track record of developing young up and comers and getting them ready to make their mark in the NRL is impeccable. He (Neil Henry) has been strongly attributed to the recent success of one time proverbial easy beats – the North Queensland Cowboys.

Unfortunately for John Lang, this leaves the competition with a full compliment of coaches for 2007 and not much on offer for a man only 3 years off a Premiership. So now with that head ache sorted, we are left with several unasked questions.

Can *'s career survive without the great Andrew Johns? And with the help of *'s best player, can Brian Smith sneer the premiership that has eluded him thus far? How will Mathew Elliott perform with a more established squad? Will John Lang snag a job else where? And is the hype surrounding incoming Raiders coach, Neil Henry, warranted? All that is left to say is, I cant wait to find out!

Bring on 2007!
Word count: 748
Last edited by Nick on April 19, 2006, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

i'd like to add any errors are due to me writing that in 22 mins by my clock :lol:

cya guys
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

R69... I will do a proof read on that version.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

GE, can you do a grammer check for me before 7:20ish, i leave for work at 7:25, so what ever version is in that above post is what is getting put up :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

can i just say, captaining you blokes is tough work... bastards :P :lol: :lol:
IBG
Gary Belcher

Post by IBG »

I'm gonna wait till later to post mine, not because I'm working on it, I just wanna make the opposition sweat. :)

And because I can.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Inspirational :cry: :!:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

R69... which version? Yours or Thickos?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

mine
havnt read thickos, was eating dinner, watching neighbours, getting ready for work and typing at the same time :lol: